Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 52

JudyK
Star Contributor

Eau Claire, WI. 54703-1729
USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2016 :  09:54:34 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I am jealous Jeanne! 80 degrees! It's only 40 here,feels warm out,but then you come along with you come along with the nice warm temps. According to Jimmy the groundhog, we are supposed to have an early spring. I'm just hoping with the 40 degree temps this is the start of something good to come. With the new chemo I'm on, they tell me I should be able to do whatever I want and enjoy my canning season this yr. Can hardly wait.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1633 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2016 :  09:35:22 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
^ Judy, me too!! What excellent news.

Weather is rain with ice and more ice underneath. It will continue next week. This weather stinks. Rain, snow and freezing rain. Bah humbug I did manage to go to a campsite and have a fire. It took me quite a while cuz the wood is frozen and laying in ice. So again BLAH >>> BAH HUMBUG!!!!
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2016 :  08:39:02 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Thirties this past week, then, yesterday 60 degrees! Today is supposed to hit 40, then drop into the 30's the remainder of next week. Snow is almost gone, but wait, were in for a winter storm this week. Warm temperatures and springlike weather can't come fast enough!
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2016 :  06:32:46 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Its starting to sound like spring IS going to come early this year! Temps this week to get into the 50's and low 60's. So Jimmy the Groundhog was right! We may get some small snow amounts, but temps will be warm enough to melt that away. Weve started planting seeds in the basement under the grow lights in preparation.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1633 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2016 :  4:50:55 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It was a beautiful spring like day today. Lots of sun, some clouds, temps in mid to upper 30's. Everything is thawing out. I had a great fire going at a campsite today!! Yay....
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2016 :  10:36:48 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It quit raining cats and dogs and started up with wolves and pumas in the wee hours this morning. Forecase is for thunderstorms through Sunday, then resuming on Wedensday next week.

Schools are closed with flash floods predicted. Lots of roads are flooded and it was tough to find a route to get to work today.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2016 :  11:21:38 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
WOW! Jnanne that is some kind of flooding the south is experiencing in your area. I just saw footage on the news. Hope you arent having too much trouble getting back and forth to work, and are safely on higher ground so as not to be affected.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2016 :  12:44:22 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I am not from around here, so it didn't occur to me until last night that the area where I live is one of the earliest-built neighborhoods and is known as Highlands. There's a very good reason for both. Of course the first homes built along the river were on the highest elevation, and that is how the subdivision got to be named. We are not in danger of true flooding here any time soon.

However, I know many people who are already evacuated out of their homes. Some have significant damage. Several parishes (counties elsewhere in the country) are truly devastated. Water has topped the levee in at least one place and rain is expected to continue through Sunday. Today we are experiencing brief periods of no rain, but the cloud cover is continuous and the sky is ominous.

Shelters are set up around town and first responders are helping people and livestock move out of danger. Businesses and churches are helping as they are able.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2016 :  3:05:59 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jnanne, I read, watched video online, and saw a good many pictures of the damage and flooded areas. Not knowing which parish you reside in, I hoped yours wouldnt be one to be serious enough to evacuate. Happy to hear you, and yours are all fine.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2016 :  02:33:28 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Our parish is among those listed as disaster areas. While my neighborhood is relatively safe, many of our friends are not. Those across the river are in the worst shape, as the land there is at a lower elevation.

The thing I find the oddest is that some of the neighborhoods hit hardest are the "rich" folk who built on the wrong side of the levee. I can understand home buyers making a purchase of an established house in an established neighborhood, especially after research shows the area has "never" flooded. However, what about the engineers and architects who first drew up plans to build there? Shouldn't they have known better? Just because the river had not risen that high in the last who knows how many years, the fact that the levees have been built indicate that someone with the proper engineering knowledge knew it was possible and maybe even probable.

On the other hand, these folk are more likely to be able to afford to pay for adequate insurance than those in the poorer sections of town. So much damage and devastation when many of these families had just recovered from the flooding last summer, which was a result of rain up north swelling our river to overflowing. This time it is much more widespread, as the water is coming from the sky and hitting everywhere. No dichotomy of existing in a drought and flood zone simultaneously this time around.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2016 :  08:21:41 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jnanne, all it takes is ONE person to change the direction in which anything can change for the worse if not understood. In the early 50's my parents purchased a very nice cottage on the lake that was surrounded by water on three sides. In its previous life, it had been the railroad pumping station for the railroad situated on top of the hill above our cottage.The dam at the time was operated by the "town drunk" and not by the Department of Natural Resources, which came into play in later years when it originated in the mid 70's. In the 45 years the drunk operated the dam, the structures around the lake never suffered any damage from flooding, UNTIL, after the DNR took over that is. The so-called experts had no idea how to run the dam effectively during rising waters to allow the excess water to go over the dam without causing damage to structures. Consequently, in the first 10 years,our cottage was flooded 3x, the third time it was moved off its foundation, and had to be demolished in 1980. My Father sued the DNR and won the case and received monetary settlement for the loss. It was the uneducated "town drunk" that knew more about operating a dam, and testified as to what the DNR did wrong, that proved the case for my Father in court.In the end, Dad sold the land to the city,and a handicapped accessible dock was built on the cement slab the cottage once sat,plus a park made for all to enjoy with the excess land available. As we see many times not everyone is as intelligent even with advanced education, nor, has the same amount of common sense as others with less education. Just as you comment about the "rich" building in an area that may be prone to flooding, it doesnt guarantee they are intelligent in all ways, nor have the common sense to think twice before doing so. I hope that you and yours remain safe, and are able to go about your daily routine without having to suffer damages,or inconvenienced too badly by the high waters. Stay safe.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2016 :  06:14:31 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Seems winter is showing its ugly head again! Remember my saying this is a state where one day you can wear shorts and the next winter gear? Weve had very light rain since Saturday along with 50 degree temps. Yesterday we received 1.5" of rain, again with high 40's. This morning its 30 degrees, and now were expecting to see up to 5" of that white stuff, or a mix of rain/snow.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2016 :  10:35:42 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
We didnt get any of the snow locally, but it sure was windy and cold for being 40 degrees out yesterday. We did get 2" of rain which would amount to 2 feet of snow though. We needed the rain though, unlike our friend Jnanne, in Louisiana. I hope she is still above water, and not having to evacuate.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2016 :  09:57:29 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Wonder what it costs to ship some of our excess to you? It started raining again yesterday, but this was a gentle rain for the most part. I have not heard of any additional flooding. What we have received this week is thankfully much milder than predicted. Today is cloudy, but no rain as of yet.

When the rain started yesterday it was around 80 degrees. It dropped below 60 in less than an hour. Today I am guessing it is around 70--haven't actually heard on the news.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2016 :  05:31:04 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Yesterday started out with 22 mph winds, temp was 34 and then went downhill and the snow started falling by midmorning! A FOOT of heavy, wet stuff! I was on the otherside of town for treatment, and wondered if Id make it home in the two hours I still had left for it. The roads quickly became slick,and it was snowing cats n'dogs. 7" by 6 PM and another 5" overnight. Highs today 38 with wind at 11mph.
Go to Top of Page

Iron Chef Toni
Star Contributor

Plano, TX
USA
455 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2016 :  11:13:24 AM  Send Iron Chef Toni an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
DFW had the hailstorm of the year late last night. Between Baseball to marble sized depending upon where in the area. A Walmart store is closed today to repair all their skylights that broke. Many cars with busted windows. No noticeable damage at my house thankfully. Just lots of leaves knocked off the trees. Watching it was bizarre. A layer of hail on the patio and hail hitting the pool water so hard that it was white capping. Damage to homes and cars is estimated to be over $600 million.

Here are some of the photos. http://thescoopblog.dallasnews.com/2016/03/see-hail-damage-across-north-texas-after-storms-rolled-through-overnight.html/

Of course this morning it is nice and sunny. Welcome to spring in North Texas!

Toni
Gold certified in N. Texas
Now doing Merchandising!
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2016 :  06:08:21 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
The weather all over this country has seemed to change dramatically in intensity. We read or hear it on the news almost daily. Not long ago, the weatherman said it was going to get even worse as summer comes, and time goes on. Material things an be replaced, but lives cant be, so happy to hear everyone made it through safely.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2016 :  05:44:00 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Those of you living in the south, are you managing to stay afloat? Heard on our weather here, more flooding is coming your way, and hope you all remain safe.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2016 :  05:50:04 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
We received a rather substantial amount (11") of snow I believe last monday or tuesday this past week (memory is really fuzzy these days) and it was gone by the weekend. Then the temp rose to 60's on Saturday and colder again sunday. Now weve had rain since sunday night on and off with a grand total of a half inch yesterday. Crazy WI weather!
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1633 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2016 :  08:54:18 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
At the moment it is cloudy and breezy. The sun pops out every once in a while and it snows for a few minutes. Yesterday was a mixed bag. It was sunny, windy, rained, hailed and snowed.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 52 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums