Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

K.Willingham
Star Contributor

Mobile, Alabama
USA
254 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2004 :  05:25:24 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
OK, what is everyones favorite gift you got this year? Mine was the poem my sister wrote about the family.

UpstateNYKat
Star Contributor

Rochester, NY
USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2004 :  08:59:56 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I had two favorite gifts this year. A remote car starter and a red suede Maxx NY purse. The person that gave me the purse always gets me a great (and usually very creative) gift. One year she gave me a full sized glass crown! I loved it.

One of my co-workers brought in a cool gift that her daughter got for X-mas. It was a purse made of foil Caprisun juice containers. It sounds weird but it was actually really cute. Apparently they are all the rage in california and they sell for around $30. My co-workers sister made this one and it looked professionally made.

Katrina
Part time shopper Rochester, NY
Silver Certified #junxlc
Go to Top of Page

Heather86
Star Contributor

Bourbonnais (S. of Chicago), IL
USA
2015 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2004 :  11:05:55 AM  Visit Heather86's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
My favorite gift this year is having my hubby clean out all his toys from the spare bedroom. We are turning it into an exercise room. It was floor to ceiling wall to wall with hotwheels, Spawn, and StarWars. Toys for Tots got a nice donation this year and I got my room. I have been using it every morning.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2004 :  10:25:16 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
One of my most prized possessions is the Mother's Day card I received last spring. My daughter had just turned 3 and had signed her own name to the card without help. It is going to be hard to top that in my future.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

MrsKenna
Star Contributor

Oxnard, CA
USA
1641 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2004 :  10:58:20 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I didn't really get any gifts but the best thing was we moved right before Christmas so I was excited about that!!!

The best gift that I normally get are socks. I love printed socks with cool designs!!

CALIFORNIA- Oxnard, Camarillo, Ventura, Port Hueneme and neighboring cities
Go to Top of Page

Mazie
Star Contributor

Forest Grove, OR
USA
468 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2004 :  1:40:06 PM  Visit Mazie's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
My sister got me my senior year in high school yearbook. It must have been May or something that I told her I was bummed that I never got one because they had run out, and that I had tried everything to find one. She got them to sell her one of the archive ones, I thought it was a really special and thoughtful gift.

Gold Certified shopper, editor, editor trainer.
Shopping the Portland Metro area, willing to travel.
Go to Top of Page

Christina WNY
Inactive

Buffalo, NY
USA
305 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2004 :  7:41:44 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The gift of deep, eternal, unconditional and true love.
Go to Top of Page

KarenSE
Star Contributor

Helen, GA
USA
333 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2005 :  02:11:26 AM  Visit KarenSE's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
It was not received this year, but the best gift I ever received was from my daughter when she was 14 years old.
When I was about 8 years old, I asked for a jewelry box for Christmas. I had visions of a little box with a dancing ballerina and music box in it. During the night on Christmas Eve that year, I could hear "Santa" in the living room, playing with all our Christmas gifts. I kept hearing a music box playing, and just knew it was my wonderful jewelry box. In the morning when all us kids got up, I found that the music was from a toy clock for my baby sister. My jewelry box was one for a much older girl, sort of satin with a velvet lining. No ballerina, no music. I tried very hard not to cry or act dissapointed, but I never forgot how I felt about that jewelry box. When my daughter was 14, she gave me a little girls jewelry box complete with the dancing ballerina. When I opened that gift, it was a total surprize. I sat there and cried and cried. She thought she had done something wrong, but at that moment I was that little girl again, and my wish had come true. I have received gifts of gold and diamonds, but that jewelry box is still my most prized possession. My daugher is 31 now and I still have that little box. (Sometimes I wind it up just to watch the ballerina even now!)

Second place of best gifts was received the following year, from my younger daughter. I quit school when I was 16, so I did not finish high school. In 1990, I went and took my GED, and started college classes at night. (I was 39 years old). My younger daughter gave me a high school ring with the year of my GED on it. I didn't cry like I did when I got the jewelry box, but it did let me know just how proud of me my kids were, and that ring is very special to me.

Karen
Go to Top of Page

Sandra Wright
Star Contributor

Arlington, VA
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2005 :  10:08:03 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
One of my favorite gifts I received was the year before last. I was out shopping with a friend in the summer. I had made a comment that I did not have a full length mirror and was looking to buy one. I was sitting there the the day after Christmas waiting for my friend to drop by. Low and behold I see her get out of the car with something that looks like she is bringing me a door for Christmas because the box is at least 6 ft long. I openned it and it was a lovely full length oval mirror with a pedastal the kind that swings.

Sandy C
Go to Top of Page

ChristiAS
Contributor

Round Rock, TX
USA
89 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2005 :  5:38:27 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My husband and I met at a nightclub when I was 18, and have been together since that day, 15 years ago. One thing I have always wanted from him was a "love letter". So, last year for my birthday he surprised me with diamond earrings and a beautifully written letter. I love the earrings, but the letter means so much more to me than he will ever know. It is absolutely my favorite!

Shopping Austin and Surrounding Areas
MSPA Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

JanB27
Star Contributor

OH
USA
4831 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  6:12:55 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Any truly memorable gifts this Christmas?

Jan
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2009 :  1:58:07 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Forty-one years ago my mother-in-law gave me a 2-volume Betty Crocker Cookbook. It was an old cookbook when she gave it to me. This was the easiest book to use. You could look up a food (like potatoes) and it would give you 25 ways to cook potatoes. If you killed a squirrel, you could look that up and it would show you how to skin it and cook it. In fact it had instructions on how to skin and cook just about any edible meat.

To this day I still use this book. What I love about it is you don't need to know the name of a recipe. All you need to do is know what kind of food you want to cook and then look it up.

Many times I would just have some food in the fridge that I wanted to cook and I was always able to find a recipe for a good meal.

It's a gift that has been giving for 41 years and keeps on giving.

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Happily shopping the Houston, TX area.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2009 :  2:17:07 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Juanita--I love my Betty Crocker cookbook, and it is almost as old as yours. I also love Fannie Farmer and have found that I prefer the older versions to the newer ones. The Joy of Cooking is another that does as much teaching to cook as it does providing great recipes.

Have you found yourself bestowing your favorite book upon others? I can't even try to recall the number of folk who have received one of the above cookbooks from me over the years.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2009 :  06:57:58 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jnanne, actually I have not checked to see if my particular version is still in print. But I need to do that. It would be a great gift, especially to new brides.

There are so many things this book taught me because it had pictures of how to do things and a glossary explaining cooking terms. I have bought cookbooks throughout the years but I still have to refer back to this one many times. My husband has even done some hunting and come home with wild turkeys, deer meat, etc, and this book had all the instructions I needed to cook those critters.

The recipes were all straightforward. Nothing was complicated about them. They used ingredients I always had on hand. I can't say enough good things about this cookbook.

PS: I became a very good cook.

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Happily shopping the Houston, TX area.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2009 :  4:00:59 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I truly believe there is a big difference between a cook book (they teach how to cook) and a recipe book (they assume you already know how).

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

Gretta
Star Contributor

Jacksonville, NC
USA
1566 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2009 :  4:36:35 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Juanita, that sounds like a great cookbook and I could and would actually use. (I'm not a good cook and trying to find something in most cookbooks is pretty difficult).

One of my most favorite and cherished gifts ever is a doll my mom made for me years and years ago. I don't remember exactly when, but I know it was before I was in third grade. That year was financially rough for us (found this out later) and my mom's parents actually bought most of our Christmas presents for us (also found this out much later). But my mom made one doll each for myself and my two sisters. To better understand I am so not a doll person, but this specific doll means a great deal to me.
Go to Top of Page

Sandra Wright
Star Contributor

Arlington, VA
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2009 :  02:55:39 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO EVERYONE!!!!!

Sandy C
Go to Top of Page

Julie_WA_Writer
Star Contributor

Western, Washington
USA
1889 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2014 :  4:57:51 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My kids give me a "coupon book" every year. Recently I surprised my now-22 year old with a decade-old "clean up after the pets" coupon for the dog doo. Was better than any tangible item ;-)

“Great empires are not maintained by timidity.” Tacitus
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition ® Copyright © All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums