Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bonnie in Burbank
Star Contributor

Burbank, CA
USA
5940 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2004 :  08:30:51 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Well I have a lot of Honey-Baked Ham left and would love some new ideas.
Today will be bean soup. Tomorrow, Split-pea soup. Friday I was thinking of Navy Bean Soup, but we might be getting a little tired of soup by then!
I have made a Potato Ham Cheese Gratin, very tasty.
I was also thinking of a brocolli cheese ham quiche that I have made before.

HelpI need some recipes!

Bonnie

Jean_GA
Valued Contributor

Atlanta, GA
USA
107 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2004 :  6:07:22 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Bonnie-

You can freeze the ham for a future use, if you don't want to use it all now. I would suggest a month as the timeframe, but at least it would give you a break. We had ham for Christmas with leftovers as well. We also just received a beautiful smoked ham from my brother. According to the ham instructions, we can freeze for three months, keep unopened in the frig for two or keep it open for one in the frig.

MSPA Gold Plus Shopper shopping Northwest Metro Atlanta
Go to Top of Page

Nora
Star Contributor

PA
USA
6341 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2004 :  6:42:57 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I am baking a ham for New Year's, so I know I'm going to share in this dilemma. Sometimes I use the leftovers in a fried rice, or omelets, or quiche. Unfortunately, leftover ham does not seem to lend itself too well to a great variety of dishes.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2004 :  10:51:44 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
If you like to bake: take your favorite bread recipe, let it rise once, roll out one loaf, place ham and cheese slices down the center and fold over. Place on a baking sheet. Allow to rise again and bake as you normally would. I make filled breads almost weekly and ham/cheese is a favorite.

While I really enjoy ham/potato casserole, I also like baked mac and cheese with chunks of ham and tomato--or rice/ham/cheese casserole with chopped broccoli.

Mince ham, mix with cream cheese and any herb or spice you like, such as chives or dill. It makes a great spread for that New Year's bash. It also is a good appetizer stuffed inside jumbo pasta shells and served cold.

Another simple, but elegant, appetizer: roll thinly sliced ham around cold asparagus and dip in mustard.

My family loves fried potatoes with onions and ham. It makes a good side dish or main dish. It is also good for breakfast if you break the eggs over the potatoes, just as they are finished frying, and scramble them into the dish. My daughter loves this with ketchup. I believe Grandma called it hash.

A similar dish--add corn, but leave out the eggs. This is very good with left-over corn on the cob.

Mince ham and mix with mayo, pickel relish, and boiled eggs. Serve as a sandwich spread, or for a change, on top of quartered tomatoes or sliced cukes. Add shredded cheese or chopped onions to change the flavor somewhat.

I bet you have a good recipe for Chicken Cordon Bleu in your kitchen. My catering partner prefers Julia Child's recipe.

If you are getting tired of bean soup, why not cook up a pot of greens with ham and onion? Or green beans? Add some bacon grease if you think your cholesterol is getting a bit low.

Ham is a great substitute for Canadian Bacon when serving Eggs Benedict.

Roasted tomato/ham sandwiches are popular in my household. Place bread in toaster oven. Layer with thinly sliced ham, slab of tomato, and top with cheese. Toast until cheese melts and serve open-faced.

Pasta salad is great with ham. Cook a pasta that will hold a dressing, such as rotini or shells. Add finely chopped broccoli, chunks of ham, artichoke hearts, halved grape tomatoes, parmesan cheese, and commercial Italian dressing. Serve immediately or chilled.

Another good cold dish: Mix chunks of ham with raw broccoli, cauliflower, red onion, yellow pepper, and halved grape tomatoes. Toss with Raspberry Vinagrette. For variations, use yellow squash, zuchinni, green onions, other colors of bell peppers, carrots, etc. Just make a variety of colors. It's hard to find a healthier use for ham!

And what do you mean left-over ham doesn't lend itself to many dishes?

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

Nora
Star Contributor

PA
USA
6341 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2004 :  04:33:56 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jnanne, your suggestions sound awesome! I am not an enormous ham fan, but your suggestions may change that. I am sure those of us who have seemingly interminable supplies of ham/bean soup will appreciate your ideas.
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie in Burbank
Star Contributor

Burbank, CA
USA
5940 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2004 :  06:47:53 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Thanks so much Jnanne. I'm not sure what I'll do first. Yesterday, I almost emailed you. I knew you would come through for me!

Bonnie
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2004 :  10:57:55 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hey--is it obvious I grew up on a farm with lots of siblings? And part of my dad's pay was a hog and a beef in the freezer? We never tossed food, and food was always abundant. Money--now that's another matter. We didn't toss it, but then again, we may have done so and just not recognized it!

Feel free to e-mail for recipes. I love to cook and love to share.

Well, since flood control is activated, I need to type for another 2 minutes, right?

Ideas to make bean soup different each time you serve it:

I love bay leaves as the main seasoning. Sometimes I use lots of basil, instead, and use roughly the same number of potatoes as beans, so it seems like a chowder.

Hey--ham and potato soup!

I love any and all root veggies in bean soup. Carrots are a family favorite.

My daughter thinks beans should be very thick, served on top of corn bread, and covered in ketchup. Hey, she's three! Everything goes with ketchup in her world.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2005 :  09:28:27 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Just thought it would be helpful to bring this to the top.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

DarleneH
Star Contributor

Cleveland, OH
USA
1322 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2015 :  10:20:14 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just got my beautiful ham today on a shop and found this old post.. Have to try some of these.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

Eau Claire, WI. 54703-1729
USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2015 :  6:21:11 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
You can always go to honeybaked.com for a ton of recipes. My neighbor brought over a bowl of Cream of Cabbage soup (fabulous, I might add) that she included pieces of ham for extra flavor. Around here, I grind or place meat in the food processor on mince, then add dill pickle relish, stir in Mayo, to make delicious sandwiches. Bean soup with ham is great also, but maybe the weather is getting too warm for soups. My favorite is scalloped potatoes and ham, but my son doesnt like it, so I cant make it anymore.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums