Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat (1) | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Mystery Shopping, Merchandising & Demo
 Merchandising & Demo
 Planogram (POG) - How do you learn to read them?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sandy J.
Valued Contributor

Twin Cities, Minnesota
USA
165 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2003 :  12:42:11 PM  Send Sandy J. an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I'm new to merchandising have a question regarding POG's. It seems that companies want to know if you have experience in dealing with planograms before they assign you shops. How does a new person even get to see one to learn how to deal with them?

Happily shopping the Twin Cities
Silver Certified

CarolynRosell
Star Contributor

Vineland, NJ
USA
1417 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2003 :  12:55:49 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hi Sandy,
Go to google.com and type in "sample planograms", you can veiw several different types there.
Planograms are really pretty simple to follow. Some just take more time than others.

I shop Vineland, Deptford, Mays Landing and Atlantic City, NJ
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

NatrinaNC
Valued Contributor

High Point, NC
USA
159 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2003 :  6:15:24 PM  Visit NatrinaNC's Homepage  Send NatrinaNC an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I wish I would have thought of Carolyn's idea when I first started merchandising. I just did that search and that is a good way to learn. Once you realize the actual concept its quite simply and like she said possibly time consuming depending on the product.
I started with candy on a peg board and a rack.

Once you have viewed the sample POGs; I would even suggest printing one and going to a similar retail store and visualizing yourself resetting or restocking that display according to the new planogram in your hand. Once you understand that you can let companies know you have no experience but you do know how to read and understand one.

MSPA Gold Certification #icw3ir
MSSIC: NatrinaNC
Shopping the Triad, Triangle and Charlotte Areas: High Point, Winston Salem, Greensboro, Burlington, Durham, Cary, Raleigh, Concord, Charlotte, Matthews, Kannapolis, Salsibury
Go to Top of Page

Aadam101
Valued Contributor

Lynn, MA
USA
168 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2003 :  11:04:45 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Also if you know anyone who has retail/POG experience you could ask them to come along for your first POG. I can see how it could be a bit overwhelming if you've never done one. It really is easier than it looks.
Go to Top of Page

Allyson Goldjay
Star Contributor

Elkton, MD
USA
426 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2003 :  4:04:14 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I was lucky that my first job using a POG was a job that needed a partner and my partner was a friend who was more experienced in this than I was (She used to work in retail). She taught me how to read them. I found it very helpful to work with a partner on my first project and now I find POGs pretty easy to read. I never would have thought of a google search!

Allyson

MSPA GOLD CERTIFIED--Washington DC 2003
Go to Top of Page

Sandy J.
Valued Contributor

Twin Cities, Minnesota
USA
165 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2003 :  06:22:08 AM  Send Sandy J. an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the great hints. Being able to visualize the POG and relate it to the display makes all the difference.

I hope others find your hints helpful as well.

Sandy

Happily shopping the Twin Cities
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

MaryL
Valued Contributor

Richmond, VA
USA
185 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2003 :  06:39:01 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Many tricks to reading POG. I have learned to start on the bottom level on the left and work that shelf and work your way up. It helps when having to move shelves. If you are doing a pegboard, remove all of the product keeping the product on the peg and start at the bottom and work your way up.
Go to Top of Page

MeaFett

Indiana
USA
19 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2003 :  06:46:18 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Just remember, left to right, bottom to top and always make sure you check with the store and/or department before you start and if you are just not sure. You'll find the store personel can be a valuable asset!
Go to Top of Page

Lisa Fleck
Star Contributor

Boston, MA
USA
367 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2003 :  08:01:09 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
POG'S are a map of where each item goes. while each one is different the theory is the same. Did you ever go to buy something like batteries and only see a white or yellow tag usually with the product name and a code on it? The person who set up the battery POG put the pegs in and the tags up according to the "map" and then filled in the product. Whoever does the ordering for that section of the store can see by the tags what needs to be ordered. I hope this information helps you. Once you can visualize something and understand the reasoning it can help. That website mentioned is great.

Lisa
Shop till you drop!
Go to Top of Page

SteveDepot
Apprentice

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2003 :  12:30:52 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Don't forget about TRAFFIC FLOW
Some POGs are run left to right, but they would be mirrored on the opposite side of the aisle.
Not all resets follow this, but it is important to know. I've seen reps have to reset 12-16-and 20 feet of product because they did not ask or consider TRAFFIC FLOW>
Go to Top of Page

CathyPlumb
Contributor

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2003 :  8:42:59 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Steve, good point...especially when working in grocery sets.

Cathy Plumb

Cathy Plumb
Go to Top of Page

ReidinEWa
Trainee

Veradale, WA
USA
7 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2003 :  5:29:31 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
MaryL,
Your advise on keeping the product on the pegs came in handy today. I am working my first reset by myself, 24' of pegboards and shelves. I started to remove the product and remembered you advise. When I went to replace the product, the SKU numbers didn't match my POG. I looked at the existing sticker and the product number cross referenced to my plan so I was able to place the product. Otherwise I would have to print out new labels and go that way. I left the product on the pegs just so it would make it easier to find the product and pick it up. I didn't know at the time that there was going to be another advantage to leaving it on the peg.
Another thing I found out today that made it easier when working the peg board. My pegs were in two parts, a base and the peg itself. I went through and placed all of the bases first. This way I could verify all of the locations, then I installed the pegs. The first section I placed a peg and then moved the product onto it. It was a hassle to move pegs under the product or just to move the pegs by them selves. I thought at the time that I was saving time by placing the product as I went....WRONG!!!

Reid in Spokane, WA
Go to Top of Page

JohnDavis813
Valued Contributor

Avon, OH
USA
127 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2003 :  04:18:02 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
1. Get a magnetic clip so you can clip the POG to the counter.
2. Always start at the bottom especially with peg board. You cannot place a peg under other peg merchandise above it. Most POGs do have the spacing for the shelves.
3. Bring a stapler to repair the peghook holes on the merchandise. Some use tape, I prefer a staple.
4. Always clean the shelves and basedeck before putting on new product. Remember that if you are putting new product on pegs you will have the little chads on the basedeck afterwards. Makes sure you clean those up when finished.
5. Pay attention to traffic flow. Some planograms have to be mirrored. What is left to right on the right side of a gondola may have to be right to left on the left side of a gondola. Traffic flow is usually from the front of the store in the case of a grocery store. In other stores it maybe from the traffic aisle. If you are not sure ask management. This is extremely important if the POG is more than one four foot section.
6. When taking pegs off the counter, keep the merchandise on the pegs.
7. It is a good idea to ask management if they have any additional pegs. Use these to start your POG. As you empty merchandise onto these pegs you will free pegs to set as you go.
8. Ask management if they have an extra piece of peg board. It is easier to peg the merchandise you take off onto this then fighting all those pegs in a shopping cart.
9. When pegging bottom to top, place the pegs in that row moving upward using one piece of product for the spacing. Do not fill until the vertical row is complete.
10. If there is a cap shelf above the pegs, remove that first. You can't peg under a shelf.
11. Ask management to print your tags before you begin the POG. This way you will have them at least by your completion and you will not have to wait.
12. Check for reserve stock before you start so you know how much merchandise you are dealing with. You should fill from there when possible.
13. Be mindful that most often you are working when the store is operating. There are customers in the store so you should never block aisles and should create as little disruption as possible.
14. Always check the planogram for shelf spacing. If the shelves remain in their present position, remove the merchandise from only the first shelf, clean it and place one piece of product per facing on the shelf, then fill. Continue to the second shelf.
15. When putting tags on the shelves or peghooks, check the UPC codes on the tags to the merchandise so you did not get the store in trouble with pricing and so as to ensure that the store reorders properly.
16. Often manufacturers change the size of the product. You may have to make slight adjustments to the POG to accommodate those changes. "25% more" comes to mind.
17. Always review your completed work with management.

Hope this helps.

John
Go to Top of Page

Peggy L
Contributor

Armada, Michigan
USA
76 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2005 :  7:21:04 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
If you are doing a mirrored planogram, do you reverse each 4'section or reverse the complete planogram.

Peggy L
MSPA Gold Certified #irkurx
Shopping and Merchandising SE Michigan
Macomb, St Clair, Oakland, & Lapeer Counties
Go to Top of Page

KrisM
Inactive

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2005 :  07:15:01 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
reverse each 4ft section. The beginning of the planogram is ALWAYS where the foot traffic enters the aisle-the main aisle or wider aisle, not the back aisles of the store. You put the first 4ft section in the first section of the main aisle, but you set it right to left instead of left to right.
Go to Top of Page

Rose M

Tucson, AZ
USA
31 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2005 :  1:11:09 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peggy L

If you are doing a mirrored planogram, do you reverse each 4'section or reverse the complete planogram.
Depends on the store. 9 times out of 10, it'll be reverse by section, but I did a pickle reset once where the manager told me to reverse the whole thing. Now then, the only reason I asked was that I noticed that the product on the shelves immediately to the right and left of my reset (it was a 12 foot section of shelves in the middle of an aisle) were also reversed. What I mean is, in the previous stores the product had been (from left to right) mayo, pickles, hot peppers, mustards. I was doing the pickles and peppers. When I got to my last store, not only was I on the opposite side of the aisle, from left to right the product still went mayo, pickles, hot peppers, mustards. Normally in this store, they wanted the mayo closest to the register, so the opposite side of the aisle should have been mustards, hot peppers, pickles, mayo from left to right. In which case I would have simply reversed the six foot sections. But they actually had done a true mirror. Very odd. It was the only store in the chain we did that did that. If you've ever got any doubts about it, find the grocery manager and ask which direction it should go.

Rose
Go to Top of Page

Rose M

Tucson, AZ
USA
31 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2005 :  07:21:05 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just realized I never answered to the original question. My partner taught me, and I believe he was sort of self taught. He started merchandising before I did; with a bread company I believe.

Rose
Go to Top of Page

Birgit White
Contributor

Hamburg, PA
USA
53 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2007 :  5:53:45 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have to say that I have never heard of mirroring a POG by 4 foot sections. That would only work if every section was different product.

When you have a 20 foot reset, and it needs to be mirrored, the whole thing is mirrored in entirety. Most POGs have a small notation on the first page that will tell you what brand in that set needs to go next to a brand at the end of the next set.

Go to Top of Page

Mark Staas
Valued Contributor

Newnan, GA
USA
109 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2008 :  3:17:45 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Birgit White

I have to say that I have never heard of mirroring a POG by 4 foot sections. That would only work if every section was different product.

When you have a 20 foot reset, and it needs to be mirrored, the whole thing is mirrored in entirety. Most POGs have a small notation on the first page that will tell you what brand in that set needs to go next to a brand at the end of the next set.
I'll go there with you Birgit...I've done a ton of entire store resets and never heard of this either.

2 things I didn't see mentioned are that the plano a lot of times will say R2L or L2R somewhere on the 1st page. Also, when you are cussing the plano designer just remember that they sit in an office and are not in the field seeing the big old box that "according to the plano" should fit in that tiny hole on the shelf you are working on!

Mark A Staas-For ALL of your jobs on the south side of Atlanta!
Go to Top of Page

Gayle R
Star Contributor

Eastern Shore, VA
USA
1396 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2008 :  8:24:29 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Amen to that Mark. I am currently re-setting some gift card displays. I have moved the pegs as close as I possibly can. So close in fact that it is hard to get the cards off w/o disturbing the row below. And still there is no room for the last row of cards shown in the POG. Sometimes you have to just do the best you can.

Gayle
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.47 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums