Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Mystery Shopping, Merchandising & Demo
 Mystery Shopping
 Why Don't Mystery Shopping Companies list the Locations where they Actually service?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LarryLost

Southern, IL
USA
14 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2005 :  11:27:19 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
When a mystery shopping applicant accesses a company's web site one of the first things they should see or have access to is what states and/or cities that company services.
Yes, I know clients can vary from one month to another and this would not be feasible to constantly change a web site all the time.
I am just suggesting that it would save applicants their time and bandwidth filling out applications when they live in NJ and the jobs are only going to be in AZ.

MSPA Silver Certified (rkmdwu)
Shopping Southern IL.

Ray Sola
Volition.com Staff

Prescott, AZ
USA
3100 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2005 :  12:55:36 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
This question has come up many a time here. See this thread for some helpful ideas:

How do I find shops in MY area?

Basically all companies think they service all areas. Maybe they don't have a client there yet, but that does not mean they don't service that area.

When companies ask to be added to the Volition.com Mystery Shopping Guide, I ask them several questions including what area they service. This question usually takes 2 or more e-mails to get a straight answer. For example, they answer "ALL USA" to which I reply that I only see them posting jobs for about 10 states, and they say that they are working on getting a national client, or something to that effect. Or they answer "North America" to which I reply that I only see them posting jobs the USA and Canada, and they say that is correct.

When the companies meet with prospective clients, they like to say that they service the entire world and select regions on the moon and they are going to be opening a branch office on Mars soon. They don't want to tell a prospective client, with 100 stores some of which being in Tennessee, that they have no clients in Tennessee nor do they have any shoppers in their database for there.

But say you lived in Tennessee and signed up with this company even though they had no clients in Tennessee. When they do land this new client, you would already be in their database and you would get the shops. If you read this forum regularly, you will see how many clients switch Mystery Shopping firms during the course of a year.

CorrineW posted to the above thread: "Even if you knew today what companies shop Arizona, tomorrow there may be a contract change between a retail company (or other) and a MS company. Then the company you previously passed up could very well be shopping your state."

Most firms try to at least cover the whole contry they are in. Or they hope that some day they will cover the whole contry they are in.

While there may be a local company in your town, you are better off looking in the phone book for them than asking here. These companies do not advertise here and are probably not online. If there are chains in your city, then they have a national contract with a big MS firm and you might as well just sign up with all of them.

good luck,
Ray
Go to Top of Page

LarryLost

Southern, IL
USA
14 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2005 :  1:11:34 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Thank you Mr. Sola for those enlightening words. It means a lot when someone with a great deal of knowledge and experience passes that knowledge or at least their honored opinions onto those of us who may be new and in the dark as to why things happen as they do. You have explained to me exactly what I needed to know.

MSPA Silver Certified (rkmdwu)
Shopping Southern IL.
Go to Top of Page

PaulaKC
Valued Contributor

Kansas City, MO
USA
177 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2005 :  2:02:35 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
What Ray posted makes a great deal of sense....but...some companies have pretty detailed application requirements...like long narratives, discrete questions that can't be cookie-cut from other applications, and even test shops. (If every shopping company used SASSIE and every shopper used Roboform or Google AutoFill, it wouldn't be such an issue, since with those tools, applying to a new company takes less than 5 minutes easily.)

Even a message saying "we don't have any shops in your area right now, but we invite you to apply and be added to our database, so that in the future, you'll be there, since we're adding new clients all the time" would be good, so that each shopper can make the decision whether to make filling out the application a priority.

One of the hardest things about just starting out was filling out dozens of applications and checking sites religiously, only to figure out that a shop opening in my area just wasn't going to happen. I still struggle with checking certain sites too often and others not often enough, and while some of that is figuring out when each company typically posts (quarterly, monthly, weekly, daily, hourly), some of it comes from not knowing whether and when to check the dozens of sites I haven't found work on before, but this time it could be my lucky day.

Given that most shoppers are part-timers and almost everyone is juggling shopping with other responsibilities of some sort (child care, a full or part-time job, family responsibilities, community involvement), it would show respect to shoppers' time for the company to honestly communicate about a shopper's chances of finding shops in that area. Some do it by only accepting shoppers in the area where they are needed, but many others just build their databases without communicating back.

MSPA Gold Certified
Shopping Kansas City metro area, Northern Missouri, San Francisco and Washington, DC
Go to Top of Page

SelenePN
Star Contributor

Fairfax, VA
USA
942 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2006 :  6:17:36 PM  Send SelenePN an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
When I apply with a new MSC, I never care where it currently serves. The only companies I do not (cannot) apply are those that specifically say that they do not accept shoppers from out-of-town areas. There are many cases when I would get a "Sorry we do not have any shops in your area now, but we will keep your information on file" message when I first signed up, and then several months later, I started to get assignment notifications from the MSC. So, in my opinion, it does not matter where the locations they actually service are at the time of my application.

Thanks,
Selene
Go to Top of Page

AnnaZ
Valued Contributor

Burlington, MA
USA
230 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2006 :  11:37:31 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I wish there was a way to search shops in other states for all companies. I travel at least once a month and have to temporarily change my home address in many MS sites, particularly prophet ones, in order to be able to find shops they have available. Companies that do not have a way to display all locations they need shoppers, frequently have to bonus shops that a visiting out-of-state person might have been able to do early in the month. `
Go to Top of Page

Ray Sola
Volition.com Staff

Prescott, AZ
USA
3100 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2006 :  11:59:40 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AnnaZ

I travel at least once a month and have to temporarily change my home address in many MS sites, particularly prophet ones, in order to be able to find shops they have available.
This is getting off topic. Please see topics like:

Can/do you accept jobs if you are visiting another state/city?

How soon is too soon to contact your scheduler when traveling?

How can Full-time RV travelers obtain assignments
Go to Top of Page

Arlene_HI
Star Contributor

Lawai, HI
USA
676 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2007 :  09:12:44 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
What I did when I was getting started, was to watch the Job Posting Area. I'd look for jobs listed in my state and sign up with those companies first. Then I'd made of note of what companies were being talked about (unless I got a negative impression) in the regular forum and sign up with them next, even if they didn't have jobs in my area. Then I went down the Volition list and signed up with a few a day. Ray's point that clients change all the time is so true. So even if an MS company doesn't have jobs in your area, go ahead and sign up. If something comes up, you'll be there ahead of the crowd. If you wait until you are sure they have something near you, you may not hear when that happens and miss a good opportunity.
Go to Top of Page

Gayle R
Star Contributor

Eastern Shore, VA
USA
1396 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2007 :  9:50:22 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
When I started I signed up with 97% of the MSC listed on this site. (This is a great site) mostly avoiding the ones that specifically stated they did not service my part of the country or did shops I knew I would not be interested in. I got several messages that stated they would notify me when something came up in my area. The rest I made a list of their log on pages in my Favorites,so I could access them quickly. I then checked these on a regular basis for months until I learned which were likely to have shops in my area & which didn't. If no shops after a dozen or so searches I removed them from the favorites and kept the ones that I had shopped for or at least had shops in my state from time to time. When I signed up with the companies I always gave them permission to e-mail me and I find that most of them do this so I figure the ones I remove will e-mail me if something comes up and if not there is still a fairly long list left in the favorites. This seems to work for me, plus checking this site for posted jobs sometimes brings about a new company to sign up with or a job I hadn't noticed. Lots of times I come here first & then check my list.

Gayle
Go to Top of Page

AmyRM

Cary, North Carolina
USA
37 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2008 :  8:21:46 PM  Visit AmyRM's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
If you enroll with MS companies that use Sassie, you can opt to receive email notifications when shops become available in your area. I send out notifications each time I post new shops.

Of course then it's up to you to sift and sort through your email

If you enroll with a lot of companies, this could save you the trouble of checking everyone's job board all the time.

Amy
Confero™ Project Coordinator
Customer Experience Research, Rewards, Results
www.ConferoInc.com
Go to Top of Page

VickyS
Contributor

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2009 :  9:18:42 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Ah, the internet can make you look bigger than you are!

I found this page on the volition website. Put in your zipcode and see what comes up!

http://jobs.volition.com/exec/sfs/jobboard

good luck!

VickyS
Go to Top of Page

Ray Sola
Volition.com Staff

Prescott, AZ
USA
3100 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2009 :  3:19:15 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
DSG just released this of where they actually had shops in 2008

http://twitpic.com/2fx12
Go to Top of Page

PamBam
Star Contributor

Schaumburg, IL
USA
317 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2009 :  6:22:30 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Good old DSG, bless 'em.

MSPA Gold Certified
Shopping domestic and international locations since 2003
Go to Top of Page

Kathie Rost
Contributor

Murrieta, CA
USA
61 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2010 :  9:38:44 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Love DSG, just wish they had higher quality shops, but they are so straightforward !

Kona Kathie
Go to Top of Page

DougCRector
Star Contributor

Renton, WA
USA
260 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2010 :  5:18:21 PM  Visit DougCRector's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Most MS companies service the entire US. MS companies never know when a new client may sign up and they have locations in various parts of the US. To continously update where a MS company has shops would be time consuming. IF a MS company only does shops in a certain state and will not take clients on in other states then it would be simple.
We susally do shops on the west coast but we have landed clients in Boston and Miami, so we encourage shoppers to register with as many companies as possible because you never know when a MS company will ahve an opportunity near you.

Doug Rector
President
NW Loss Prevention Consultants
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition ® Copyright © All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums