Page: of 33

.RedRobin
Inactive

New Orleans, LA
USA
11 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2003 :  7:59:50 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hi Everyone,

I would appreciate any feedback from some of you that work with Crossmark's Grocery Division. I work in another division and I am switching to the Grocery Division and I did ask questions, but I would appreciate any feedback from others that actually work in the stores. Any pros or cons?

Thank you,
Robin

Janet
Contributor

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2003 :  05:13:48 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
How are you able to switch to another division?

I work for the surge division and haven't had any work from them in months. I got a call for a job that I applied for, with another division and the guy told me he couldn't even discuss the position with me because I already worked for another division of the company.

So I was under the impression that if you work for on division of the company, you can't work for another and I was going to quit the surge division so when offers from other divisions came up I would be eligible for them.

Go to Top of Page

.RedRobin
Inactive

New Orleans, LA
USA
11 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2003 :  09:40:59 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hi Janet,

You can switch divisions. The position I have now I got because the rep before me switched positions. You can't work for two different divisions at the same time though. Maybe talk to your DM and explain to them that you would like to switch and maybe they could keep an ear open in the office and let you know when a position becomes available in your area. Maybe it is the area you are in also. The DM may not want to recruit from within. I could see where that could cause some tensions as now your DM has to find someone to replace you. If you haven't had any work in months maybe you could quit and just wait for a call from another division.

Robin
Go to Top of Page

Freesia26

NY
USA
37 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2003 :  1:16:38 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
When I worked for them it was the same situation. The Supervisor was not even allowed to talk about the position or territory because I worked for another division.

Mary
Go to Top of Page

.RedRobin
Inactive

New Orleans, LA
USA
11 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2003 :  7:50:04 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Let me clarify something. When I was offered this position by the DM for the other division, the DM wasn't aware that I worked for Crossmark already. I received a call on my answering machine and when I called the DM back, the DM explained the position available and then I replied that I work for Crossmark already, but I had already spoken to my DM several months ago about switching divisions. This DM didn't blatantly come after me knowing that I work for Crossmark already. I wasn't trying to hide it either, I was just listening as the DM explained the position.

I wasn't trying to start a stink on this board, I was just asking for pros and cons on merchandising in the grocery division for Crossmark. Crossmark is a very good, reliable, consistent, pay on time every week company. If I would of known it would cause trouble I would of never mentioned switching divisions, just how was the job with that division. That is all I wanted to know.

Robin
Go to Top of Page

BlueAbe
Star Contributor

Mid-Central, Ohio
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2005 :  3:34:21 PM  Visit BlueAbe's Homepage  Send BlueAbe an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
To transfer, after they find out you work for one division, just state you want to transfer over, and ask them to speak to your current supervisor to get permission to transfer over. Also let your current supervisor know you are talking to someone about transferring as well. They will usually help you out.

Gold certified since the beginning. Merchandising, Mystery shopping, & Court Research throughout Mid-Central Ohio.
Go to Top of Page

DennisM

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2005 :  9:05:49 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It's a big company, so I'm not sure which division you're asking about. I do some work for the ProSet division and like it a lot. The people we've worked with have been very nice. The work is generally straight forward and easy. There is, of course, some time pressure, but nothing unreasonable. As you note, the parent company is very reliable. They're one of the few companies that I know of that offers fringe benefits to part-time employees.

D Murry
Go to Top of Page

Kyna

Titusville, FL
USA
34 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2005 :  1:30:09 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Crossmark offers fringe benefits for part time? Such as what?
Thanks

Kyna
Positive thinking brings positive results!
Go to Top of Page

DennisM

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2005 :  08:02:59 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kyna

Crossmark offers fringe benefits for part time? Such as what?
Health insurance if you work for them enough to qualify.
Go to Top of Page

BlueAbe
Star Contributor

Mid-Central, Ohio
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  05:33:28 AM  Visit BlueAbe's Homepage  Send BlueAbe an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
The work hours is unreliable. You could be working 38 hours a week for a couple months, then suddenly find yourself with no hours for a 4 month gap. Or, you could be cut back to 4 hours a week but expected to keep your calender open for them for any needs that suddenly come up.

I've been in three different divisions, and they keep losing the program, or going on "hold". One program was only suppose to have us off for a month or so. It's now been on hold since April!

Gold certified since the beginning. Merchandising, Mystery shopping, & Court Research throughout Mid-Central Ohio.
Go to Top of Page

TBennis
Star Contributor

WI
USA
639 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  05:53:23 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
That does depend on the division. I have worked for Crossmark for over a year and I work the same 86 stores every month. My supervisor is great! I love it. I do know that different divisions are different. They pay direct deposit every Friday and in the whole time I have worked with them I have not had a problem. Give them a try and see what you think. With such a diversity in divisions it is hard to answer your question fairly. They are not a bad company to work for if you have the right division. I also don't know if it matters if you are on a dedicated team. I am on one so, that may be why there is more consistency. Good Luck.

Tiffany
Go to Top of Page

KimG
Star Contributor

Orlando, FL
USA
628 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  12:03:54 PM  Send KimG an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
OK, here's something interesting about this company. I know they are violating the law. I got called on a position posted on NARMS. If you work for Crossmark, you are an employee, not an IC, so they have labor laws to follow. You are not paid for your first hour of work. So, if you reach your first store 5 min, 15 min, 1/2 hr or so after you leave your house, you will NOT get paid for that time. I asked this rule to be clarified. One of the stores that they do is just 2 minutes from my house. I asked him, if I get to that store, and it is my first store of the day, I won't get paid until I've been there an hour. Yes, that is correct. I told him it is a violation of labor laws, and if they ever get taken to court, they'd lose. I also told him I don't work for free.

To illustrate my point, I told him that I had worked at a home for delinquent kids many years ago. We were not paid for our last 30 minutes on the job, when we were recording notes in charts. Someone sued them, they lost, and after I left, I got a check for the time I hadn't been paid for.

I would encourage anyone who works for them to either clarify this for me, or to report them in violation of labor laws. If you are an hourly employee, you MUST be paid for every minute you work, unless it is your lunch time.

Kim
silver certified njtwnf
Go to Top of Page

Hallie
Contributor

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  12:22:52 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I currently work for Crossmark, a great company by the way, and have never heard of the 'not paid for the first 1 hour' thing. I get paid for any and all time I put in for Crossmark, including home administration time. I also get a tech allowance each month for ink cartridges, health insurance, 401k and other benefits, (if you average a certain amount of hours).
Great company. Great manager. I would not hesitate to work for them.
Go to Top of Page

KimG
Star Contributor

Orlando, FL
USA
628 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  1:22:07 PM  Send KimG an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I am only repeating what he told me. I ha the same issue come up with another company I applied for a few days ago, and it turned out the DM did not explain it right. The way Dm at company X originally said was, you don't get paid for your first half hour. Hmm, said I wasn't interested. I called him back the next day, and asked for clarification. "If I arrive at my first store less than 30 minutes after I leave my house, do I get paid then?" Yes, he said, I would. You start getting paid the first half hour after you leave your house, or when you reach your first store, whichever comes first. So, if you have to drive an hour or so away, part of that time is paid.

When this issue came up with Crossmark, I asked the same thing to make sure I hadn't misunderstood. "If I reach my first store 5 minutes after I leave my house and start working right away, I won't get paid until after the first hour. Is that correct?" He said yes.

Funny, it is almost exactly the same work as company X, but company X pays more money. I interview with company X tomorrow. I probably ticked the Crossmark guy off, but he gave me no reason to think that what I am stating here is incorrect. He said they have 13,000 employees, and they are all "in the same boat".

I like the idea of 3 weeks on, 3 weeks off though.

Kim
silver certified njtwnf
Go to Top of Page

Hallie
Contributor

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  1:44:55 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hello Kim. Many merchandising companies these days do not pay for drive time to your first store if less than 30 minutes. There reasoning is normal commuting time to a job, which is perfectly legal. Some companies do a 15 minute drive time rule before you are "on the clock" and some, (very few any more) pay door-to-door, which is great. These days, if you find a company who pays any type of drive time, you should consider it as companies seem to be trending to not paying drive time at all.
Crossmark pays drive time and mileage.
Perhaps the DM jsut didn't explain it well. Maybe different divisions have different policies.
Go to Top of Page

Virginia_D
Valued Contributor

Lubbock, TX
USA
169 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  10:05:34 AM  Visit Virginia_D's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
After working in the Crossmark grocery division for about 9 months I have discovered that they don't pay as well as some other companies, and that their mileage reimbursement is lower than most other companies. That being said, they are a well respected company and do pay salary like clockwork.

My problems with the company were with my supervisor. I won't go into details, suffice it to say I will not be working with Crossmark ever again because of her.

I think, in some ways, that perhaps they are too big -- it's too easy to blame stuff on other departments and then nothing ever gets done. I had some issues with lack of support -- again that was partly due to my supervisor, and partly due to others.

That's just my

Virginia
Go to Top of Page

KimG
Star Contributor

Orlando, FL
USA
628 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  5:25:45 PM  Send KimG an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Maybe he didn't explain it well, but I sure asked for clarification. One of the stores they do is so close to me I can walk. So I asked him, if it takes me 2 minutes to get to a store, and I start working, am I correct in saying that I won't get paid until its been an hour since I left my house, even if i AM working? That's correct, he told me. Doesn't seem right to me.

I turned him down, because of that, but I interviewed with another company that does the exact same thing, same stores, more money, pays drive time after 1/2 hr, or you reach the store, whichever comes sooner, and also pays you for 1/2 hr after you leave. It looks pretty good for me, although because of length of time it takes to process paperwork, I wouldn't be able to start until Jan.

I actually am surprised that some companies pay you before you reach your first job. I would expect time between locations though.

Kim
silver certified njtwnf
Go to Top of Page

EllenR
Trainee

NC
USA
5 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  03:26:05 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KimG

Maybe he didn't explain it well, but I sure asked for clarification. One of the stores they do is so close to me I can walk. So I asked him, if it takes me 2 minutes to get to a store, and I start working, am I correct in saying that I won't get paid until its been an hour since I left my house, even if i AM working? That's correct, he told me. Doesn't seem right to me.

I turned him down, because of that, but I interviewed with another company that does the exact same thing, same stores, more money, pays drive time after 1/2 hr, or you reach the store, whichever comes sooner, and also pays you for 1/2 hr after you leave. It looks pretty good for me, although because of length of time it takes to process paperwork, I wouldn't be able to start until Jan.

I actually am surprised that some companies pay you before you reach your first job. I would expect time between locations though.

KimG. I think there was some major mis-communication between you and the person you spoke to. I have worked for Crossmark for almost a year and I know the policys. The 1 hour thing refers to your drive time only... Crossmark pays mileage and drive-time AFTER your first hour and 50 miles each way. I frequently drive to the DC\Baltimore area for resets.. If it takes me 6 hours to drive to the job, I get paid for 5 hours of that time. If I am working in my home area, I generally don't get any drive time but we are paid from the minute we walk through the store doors to the minute we leave, and we do get milage and drive-time between stores. It can get complicated to track if you do multiple stores in a day.
I know there are companies that pay more per hour and for mileage but Crossmark is a well respected company that treats their employees fairly.
Go to Top of Page

Hallie
Contributor

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  08:03:23 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I agree with EllenR. Crossmark is a great company. They offer benefits,and I think the pay is fair. I have earned much more with other positions, but, for me, it is more important to me how a company treats you, what they offer you and the support you have within the company. Crossmark is great on all those points.
You are paid for between store drive time, any drive time over 30 minutes, ( in the division I am in), and of course your store time, no matter when you arrive. Paychecks are weekly. You can count on them to arrive or be direct deposited.
Go to Top of Page

AudreyB
Valued Contributor

West Plains, Missouri
USA
197 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  12:41:50 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Whoever explained the payment policy to you, must not have done a good job. One of the stores I work in is only about ten minutes from my house. I don't get paid for the time it takes me to get there, but I most certainly get paid for every minute I spend in the store working. Crossmark also pays for drive-time AND mileage in between stores, but does not pay for the trip home after your last store is finished. Considering that they do pay for administrative time, a small allowance for office supplies and that part-time and full-time employees are eligible for health insurance and 401K, this is a small price to pay. I found their hourly rate to be competitive and very much in line with other companies.
I currently do about five stores a week for Crossmark and have never been in a situation where I was without an assignment.
The supervisor I have responds to questions quickly and always keeps me up to date with the necessary information.
Paychecks come like clockwork every Friday and I have never had to dispute any of the amounts they have paid me. Wish other companies would be like that.

Audrey

Audrey
happily shopping southern Missouri and northern Arkansas
Go to Top of Page

KimG
Star Contributor

Orlando, FL
USA
628 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2005 :  6:48:45 PM  Send KimG an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'm guessing this guy might not have understood the policy. He insisted that if it took me less than an hour to reach my first store, I would not be paid until an hour had passed after I left my house. I know that is clearly illegal, and I told him so.

There are other companies out there that pay more money, and it looks like I may be working with one starting in January. Same work, same stores, and often on the same teams. I vote for more bucks.

Kim
silver certified njtwnf
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 33 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums