Page: of 33

LarryT
Star Contributor

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2013 :  1:05:03 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WendyG

Well I had 2 local stores and 3 out of town stores, so the logical thing for the rep to do, is to do one local store first and one local store last.

Ah, yes. That certainly IS the logical thing to do, isn't it??? However, Crossmark's policy states (and they send this out as a reminder in an email every so often) that as a Crossmark slave (erm, I mean employee), your job is to route your stores to minimize Crossmark's mileage and drive time expenses whereby minimizing your profit and maximizing Crossmark's. If no one believes me, next time they send this email reminder out, I will cut and paste it to this thread.

Crossmark is a terrible company (but better than many others, I will admit). When you have a route of stores on a given day, Sales Trak routes your stores for you and if it isn't routed for YOUR maximum profitability, then you have to contact support to tell them why you changed the route and ask them to change it for you. But you are at the mercy of crossmark because just because you email them and tell them why and that you want it changed, there is no guarantee they will approve the change. So who loses? The low-paid, over worked, Crossmark slave. That's who. Not to mention, getting paid for that time sending the support request is impossible to do. Yet every quarter they send out an email reminding you that you MUST be paid for all time worked, admin, in-store, etc. Yet it's all just a legal email go cover their butts. Because in the end, they know that you are working a minute here and there every day without any compensation. It's all just a bunch of retail BS is all it really is.

Corssmark is really very little better than Driveline and in fact they have been competing with driveline for certain contracts for a year or more now. They are getting nickel and dime jobs in dollar stores who are notorious for not wanting to pay jack for 3rd party services and they (Crossmark) are paying merchandisers pennies for their time. Smells just like driveline and the smell is nausiating, to say the least.

And then, to feed fuel to the fire, (...drum roll please...)no raises, just like most other merchandising companies. What a joke.

I realize that the info I just posted may not apply to all teams like dedicated teams, but it certainly applies to the retail teams.
Go to Top of Page

April2013
Valued Contributor

USA
174 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2013 :  07:33:26 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I consider myself to be a fairly intelligent person who picks up on things pretty quickly, but this company always has me in a state of confusion. It seems like the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing. I just wondered if anyone else had the same feeling as far as the data collection goes.
Go to Top of Page

MariaMia
Star Contributor

Los Angeles, CA
USA
274 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2013 :  08:54:22 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
You are not alone. I also am confused by the way thing happen at times They just bought out another Demo company. M
Go to Top of Page

Robert A. Miller
Star Contributor

PA
USA
395 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2013 :  4:09:51 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Crossmark has never known what either hand is doing. And that is going back almost 20 years. I looked at my local Wallyworld recently, and there was 17 different Crossmark sign in sheets. I realize that are different categories of merchandising within the company, but redundancy abounds.
Go to Top of Page

MariaMia
Star Contributor

Los Angeles, CA
USA
274 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2013 :  6:18:51 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hi Robert,

There are so many dedicated teams and now other groups that do instore projects, I always seem to sign in the wrong place. I am on the Data Collection team and its constantly changing.

just my ramblings ..have a good week..M
Go to Top of Page

RobertH
Valued Contributor

Pinson, AL
USA
187 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2013 :  6:24:20 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Robert-

I've noticed that as well.

Crossmark (and, to be fair to them, many other service companies as well) seem willing to go to absurd lengths in order to avoid anyone actually having enough work to be full-time. If it means having ten different reps calling on the same store, all of which are part time, rather than have three full-time positions, they'll do it. As I said, while Crossmark might not be the only company to go that route, they certainly seem to take the practice to its extreme.

Robert
Over 30 years in the Field
Go to Top of Page

Sue A
Star Contributor

USA
464 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2013 :  5:38:26 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I worked for them and quit after my DM accused me of falsifing reports.
I had 2 WM's and one always used the corrugate displays and the other one refused to use them and always tossed them. I took pics. as required and reported. She was in my state and dropped into the store that tosses the corrugate, and not seeing it,and not bothering to talk to the store manager about it. Called me and accused me, not very nicely. I told her she was wrong and that she had the info. for the wrong store and that if she would go to or at least call the other store she would find out that I wasn't lying. but she wouldn't.
She was one of these people that is always right,never makes mistakes. And everyone else is wrong.
So I quit that very moment and told her she could finish doing my jobs. She was also a micro manager.
Working for her could give you an ulcer.
I don't miss not working for them.
Oh,I did call her boss and told her what had happened and she checked and verfied that I hadn't falsified any reports. And offered me my job back. But I told her no, not as long as that wpman was the manager for my area.

Sue A
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

April2013
Valued Contributor

USA
174 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2013 :  07:00:31 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Personally, I find that handheld more bothersome than paperwork. I can "sync" something one minute and get a project, then the next minute it's gone, then the next time I get 3, then they're gone, then I get 1 again. It's like I always have this feeling that something's going to get dumped on me at the last minute or I'm missing something. Seems like for the electricity it takes, I could just wait until towards the due date and print out the material and go. I've been doing this kind of work for a good while and I don't feel like that with other projects.
Go to Top of Page

RobertH
Valued Contributor

Pinson, AL
USA
187 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2013 :  6:53:53 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'm of two minds as regards the newest generation of handhelds.

On the positive side, there's less need to print reports at home using my personal printer (which has FIVE different inks!). Feedback is much more immediate (in the near future, we're supposed to be able to videoconference or face chat while in the stores) and an app that my tablet has makes me able to be far more productive than I was before.

On the downside, it has the ability to track you literally every second it is on, as it "pings" cell towers in your area to get your location (just like on Law and Order: SUV!). What I have noticed here is that it is grossly inaccurate, showing me as being up to seven miles away from the store while standing in it! One of the perks of this short of job was the ability to work largely or even completely unsupervised and being judged by the quality of the work you performed. That is less the case now than it was and almost surely to become even less so.

And there's also the cost. Having to equip a few thousand folks with this expensive gear costs a ton of cash....cash that might have gone to raises, increases in auto compensation/mileage and other benefits. Companies can- and, no doubt, will- say that, even though they can't afford to give you a raise, your job is "made easier" by this new technology, conveniently forgetting the fact that they are also demanding more work out of you at the same time.

Robert
Go to Top of Page

Maralyn
Star Contributor

USA
626 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2013 :  5:01:52 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Robert what team are you on?
In Theory I agree with you, but the Motorola Handhelds and the Samsuny Note Pads are not owned by Crossmark, they are leased. Only reason I know that, I have not turned in my handheld, because that Note Pad it a pain in the butt, I got a email telling me to turn it in because the lease was up and it needed to be returned to Motorola.

Going back to paperwork and using my computer to turn in the work would be much quicker......the dead spaces in the stores, makes the Note Pad useless most of the time, the cover is in the way of the camera and it does not have a carrying case. Which makes it easy to lose.

I have a iPad to work with from Advantage, has a carrying case, it is great. No issues, and no dead spaces to have to deal with as it is set up for Advantage work only and on WM"s wi-fi, no paperwork, sync in the store and done. No work when you get home at night, other than to enter the next days work. OMG's what a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Big Sue
Star Contributor

USA
785 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2013 :  08:26:00 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I see that Crossmark is advertising for food demonstrators. Anyone doing this job for them? Pay info? How is the job? Most importantly, do they bug/monitor you to death? I like being more independent and not hassled.

The company I normally do demos for only has them generally March through October, so I am looking for something to fill in the gap for a few months.
Go to Top of Page

RobertH
Valued Contributor

Pinson, AL
USA
187 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2013 :  6:43:12 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Maralyn:

I'm on ACOSTA's Red team, Our primary clients are Heinz, McCormick and Clorox, and I had no idea until I started representing these brands how many products they or their subsidiaries produce. It makes for a very full day when things are going right and worse when they aren't.

ACOSTA has provided us with Samsung tablets which are Android-based. They had a ton of bugs (most of which I think I've discussed here on Volition) at first but the kinks are slowly being worked out. Our newest App, SPARC, which allows us limited interface with Walmart's computer system, is getting more stable day by day but still occasionally crashes. But that's technology for you.

I run into dead zones and slow data zones all the time in my stores, as we're having to use 4G for communication. Walmart will not, to this point at least, allow us access to their wi-fi system and seems to be constantly changing their minds as to what features of their system they want us to be able to access and what not (and I think that is a cause of the crashes we experience). Once (if?) Walmart allows us wi-fi access, the dead zones will be a thing of the past (or so I hope).

Robert
Go to Top of Page

Sandra Wright
Star Contributor

Arlington, VA
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2013 :  02:54:59 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Good posts. Both the older ones and the newest. I remember many a time going into a Walmart for Go Phones. I had the account for several years. Some stores were bigger then others. Walmart was notorious for chucking displays if they felt they did not fit. As far as all the handhelds and computers that let the companies know where you are etc. You are at the mercy of everything going right. For instance I was doing work in Best Buys and reps had to log in and out and capture a code to verify this time we had our own computer. Then somebody came up with the idea of having the check in at the very computer used as a register. Oh the fun of waiting and watching to see if no one was being rung up. Sometimes it was a space of forty minutes from the time I entered to the time I could log in. It was more or less working off the clock. I wonder if anyone ever figured out this was not the brightest idea to come down the pike.

Sandy C
Go to Top of Page

RobertH
Valued Contributor

Pinson, AL
USA
187 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2013 :  6:41:51 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I know I can't be the only one here who remembers this.....

I remember working for one company that made me attach a register receipt to my mail-in paperwork so they'd have proof that I had actually be in the store. And they wouldn't reimburse you for whatever it was that you bought! Reps quickly found the nickle candy so as to cost you as little money as possible.

Another company put a barcode on the back of your name badge that would scan at a store's registers and charge you one penny, again as proof that you'd been to the store (and you had to enclose the receipt if you wanted to get paid).

Robert
Go to Top of Page

Big Sue
Star Contributor

USA
785 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2013 :  7:07:26 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RobertH

I remember working for one company that made me attach a register receipt to my mail-in paperwork so they'd have proof that I had actually be in the store. And they wouldn't reimburse you for whatever it was that you bought! Reps quickly found the nickle candy so as to cost you as little money as possible.

Another company put a barcode on the back of your name badge that would scan at a store's registers and charge you one penny, again as proof that you'd been to the store (and you had to enclose the receipt if you wanted to get paid).

Some of these companies have lost their tiny minds. I am waiting for them to attach a Go Pro to my head and just follow me around the store next.
Go to Top of Page

WendyG
Star Contributor

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2013 :  12:23:52 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hello,

I wanted to updated my posts from 10/20-10/21 on this company. I work for an electronics team. It was a newer team when I was hired. I was hired in at an OK wage for merchandising and was told it would be about 20 hours a week - Wed - Sun work with a 1.5 hr radius for a route area. It would be merchandising and possibly light weekend warrior work if they could get it together by the end of the year. I do remember the manager saying that it will be tough getting all the work done for my area on a Wed- Sun schedule.

As it turns out for my area, it is 4 hours of merchandising work a MONTH, a 40 minute visit to Walmart for ($8.25) a 50 minute visit to Sams, with 2-60 minute visits to Sears and they cut out all the traveling. So to make up the 20 hours, they badger you constantly with emails to work assisted sales events at your merchandising wage- NOT a weekend warrior wage. They even wanted us to go into stores on Thanksgiving night for the 6 PM sale. (The email said it is ONLY 5 hrs)!!!!

I am saddened that I had to give my notice today.

Wendy
Go to Top of Page

Sandra Wright
Star Contributor

Arlington, VA
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2013 :  01:52:56 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RobertH

This made me smile. I do remember buying lots of candy bars at between 50 cents to a dollar. I think this takes me back some 8 years lol. Plus you still had to have someone sign the form.

Sandy C
Go to Top of Page

April2013
Valued Contributor

USA
174 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2013 :  1:23:55 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I left this company also. I just mailed back the handheld unit. When I started getting $4.41 paychecks I knew it was time even though I hadn't been there long. They kept sending me to the same stores time after time doing the same thing. I got "kicked out" of one conv store because they didn't supply me with a authorization letter. I had another job pulling expired batteries, only the batteries on the job description and the UPCs on the return sheet didn't match. One was a national brand and the UPC was the store brand. I've been going into that store for years (I live in a small town) and now I feel like a fool.
Go to Top of Page

Sue A
Star Contributor

USA
464 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2013 :  5:11:14 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I remember the receipts and barcode on badge very well. The company that required the badge scan would give me a check onve a month for all the pennys I spent. I had a route that did sunglasses at a grocery chain on a weekly basis and it would be about $20 amonth in pennys. It was the sunglass company that required the scan be done,not the merch. company.

Sue A
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

AnnCamp
Contributor

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2014 :  06:50:49 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
There is a opening with Crossmark in my area for a Data Collection Associate. Can anyone tell me what this job is exactly?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 33 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums