Page: of 33

April LeJeune
Apprentice

Dallas, TX
USA
2 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  9:04:43 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hello All!
I am new to the forums and new to merchandising.
I just accepted a job offer from Crossmark and I'm hoping for the best.
I'm a bit worried because the recruiter ran through the job description so fast, I hope I'm not getting in over my head. It is a dedicated part-time retail rep. The recruiter told me it would be 16-20 hrs/wk plus drive time. And it's covering 100 stores!! Any feedback, suggestions, comments and/or encouragment would be greatly appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

Donna V
Contributor

Hannibal, MO
USA
74 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2007 :  9:18:22 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
April,
I don't know what stores you are doing, are which division you are working for. I can tell you that I have been happy with Crossmark overall. I have one store I call on weekly that is a 90 minute visit, plus extra calls now and then. My other stores are monthly (same company). However closer to Christmas I am in the stores twice a week for all of them. I have a very small area, and that is all I want b/c of kids at home.

It sounds like you are going to have a large area and the hours would work out if you only have monthly visits, but even then those are short visits.

Stay organized and communicate with your DM.

Donna
silver certified
Hannibal, MO
Quincy, IL and surrounding areas
Go to Top of Page

Danielle
Valued Contributor

Houma, LA
USA
224 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2007 :  8:36:35 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hey I just met with my Crossmark boss and now we have to charge the acutal in store time, so for the jobs that they pay 15 minutes for if it takes us 5 minutes I can only charge 5 minutes. Today I did 2 projects in one store total time allowed was 90 minutes, it took me 30 minutes for both projects and I make $9.00 per hour so if I charged the max time like I always have done for all companies I would have made $13.50 but instead I only made $4.50 for one stop. To me $4.50 almost isnt worth getting out the car for, lol.... I really like Crossmark but to me they are starting to nit pick over a few minutes here and there. I have always been able to charge the full amount of time b/c in the end it all comes out in the wash b/c sometimes you spend more time on a project and sometimes less so it equals out. But now my boss said they are changing things. So we arent allowed to do this anylonger. Anyone else? I work the Massmarket accounts.

Danielle

Danielle Boudreaux
L&R Distributors
Reset Division
Go to Top of Page

Mary A.
Contributor

Rock Falls, Illinois
USA
70 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2007 :  5:20:31 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I also work for mass merchant account with Crossmark and have read the new e-mails about how to record the time. I have since day 1 signed the guest book and walked to my first task, did my task and then wrote down the time when I was done. I then walk to the next task and do the same. It is not the way Crossmark wants you to do it but I think my time is valuable also. They only want you to record the time it ACTUALLY took you to do the project.

I can spend 30 minutes just walking from one to side to other and back around the store talking to dept. managers about something and they do NOT want this time added!!!!!

I figure it all comes in the wash.
I try to be as acurate and honest as possible. Sometimes it may take only a minute do a job so that is what I will right down, sometimes it takes longer and I charge them for that also.

All in all I think they are good company to work for the work seems to be steady.
Go to Top of Page

MaryRod
Star Contributor

El Centro, CA
USA
542 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  11:12:17 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Since i was hired with CrossMark I was always told to report my actual time in store. So if you're given 90 mins. you're "saying it took and loging out in 30 mins. Then your working too fast, dust. clean the area to make up some time. If a manager from Cross Mark should read your posting, for sure they'll cut our minutes down. Always say, log and report the full time given.
The max I was told for adminstrative time was 5 min. regardless of hours scheduled to work. I received an email for reading these post on adminstrative times as 20mins, 18mins ext. When I tried reporting those minutes for my adminstrative time I received the mail for 5 mins Max. PERIOD!
Mary

~~ Please consider the environment before printing unnecessary pages.~~
~*~Mary~*~
Go to Top of Page

Ricky_B

Kentucky
USA
48 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  06:04:07 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Having read all these posts, I think it might be time for a crash course in Merchandising Companies Economics 101 which might help explain what is going on.
When you are assigned a store you are given a set amount of time to work the project. Let us say, for example, your assignment sheet says the project should take 60 minutes. The 60 minutes is not the time that the M/C(Merchandising Company) and the client have decided that the task should take. Instead it is the amount of time both parties have agreed that the M/C can charge the client, based largely on what the client feels is fair and is willing to pay.
Now to the second part. Let us say, for example, that you are paid $10.00/hr. The M/C factors in your pay PLUS what could be called "administrative costs". These are costs that the M/C company believes it has or will incur to complete the task for the client with a slight profit margin built in. These administrative costs can be 50-100% of your pay and are perfectly legal and acceptable. So for a 60 minute assignment the M/C will bill the client anywhere from 15-20 dollars per hour, more if the M/C pays drive time and mileage.
Let us say, for the sake of argument, that you spend the entire 60 minutes in the store. The M/C bills the client and gets to keep only the aadministrative costs as profit.
Now let's say you only spend thirty minutes in the store and only report thirty minutes. The M/C still bills the client for the full sixty minutes and keeps the extra thirty minutes as profit.
In the end it all comes down to two choices: either you can go in and work as quickly as possible, reporting only the actual time you work, and let the Merchandising Company make the profit, or you can go in and work and record the maximum amount allowed on the project and keep the money for yourself. Me personally, I'd rather keep the money for myself. I need it more than the company!!!
Go to Top of Page

Danielle
Valued Contributor

Houma, LA
USA
224 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  09:39:37 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Yes, that is pretty much what I have always done is charge the max time and keep leftover for myself. BUT we are no longer allowed to do this, they are keeping tabs on this my manager informed me of this. And as the other poster said "If your manager were to read this you will get cut alot more than hours" I dont see how or why?? I have been told with Crossmark from the begining when I started to charge full amount of time and always have, I have been with them for about 8 yrs I guess and now I have a new manager and this is what she is now telling me. I wasnt doing anything I shoudnt have been b/c I was told this was OK, and afterall like the other poster said why would you give your extra money (leftover minutes) to the company for profit? To me that is just stupid. You will not make anytime that way, or any money. But this is a new thing she is telling me with Crossmark and it doesnt look good to me. To me if I work fast and know how to get the managers to me quickly as opposed to another newer rep that stands there for 20 minutes waiting for a manager, she ends up making more money than I do b/c she is slower and new. I on the other hand end up screwing myslef, lol...... Doesnt seem quite right there does it, lol...

Danielle

Danielle Boudreaux
L&R Distributors
Reset Division
Go to Top of Page

Sue AC
Valued Contributor

USA
198 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  8:44:23 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
When I first started doing merchandising 14+ years ago. My first jobs were doing resets,the first few I did with help from another merchandiser. When I started getting good at it, I was always finished before the time allowed, so I would report my actual time. After reporting 3 actual times, I got a call fom my manager who had been with this company for 20 years, and he wanted to know why my hours were less then the time allowed, so I explained to him why. his answer was: "XXX is charging the client for 8 hours and the client is going to pay XXX for 8 hours. You put down 6 hours actual time, so who is going to pocket the other 2 hours?XXX is of course, so put down it took 8 hours even if it took only 4 hours, after all you worked hard for that money, not the one back in the office,sitting on their butts". He later became the vice president of the company. So after that I put down the whole time allowed for the job. And no I will nto mention what company it is. It is not crossmark,never have worked for them.

Sue
Go to Top of Page

Danielle
Valued Contributor

Houma, LA
USA
224 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  8:48:43 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
That is the way I see it, I have done this for all companies I work for and have been told to do this by many differant managers. I dont know about this with crossmark to me this is sort of nickel and diming us really. Most of there projects that I do are under 60 minutes and they are complaining about me charging full time?? They are basically complaining about an extra 5-10 minutes. I am never going over the time but only reporting the full time so they are saying if a 30 minute job takes 25 you can only charge 25. And they are pulling our recorded time to see who out there is always charging full time that is how she knew I was on all jobs.

Danielle

Danielle Boudreaux
L&R Distributors
Reset Division
Go to Top of Page

MaryRod
Star Contributor

El Centro, CA
USA
542 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  9:39:32 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
When I first started with National In Store in 2004. we were told we could claim max amount of time given on a project even if it took us a few mins. I had an assigment once, given 3 hrs. for $15 hr. I took me 30 mins. I called the District Manager and he told me to be sure to claim the 3 hours. for adminstrative and drive time.

I had 2 more stores the last one took me only 10 mins. Every store I finished I called the District Manager. With each assignment I was told to claim the total max. time. I thought Payroll knew about paying us the total max time. I put down 10 mins, thinking I would still be paid the 3 hrs. NO, I lost money there.

Things are not the same NOW National In Store does pay $15 hr. but the max time now is 30 mins. - 1 hr. Now they never tell you to put down the max amount of time given. It's different now in 2007.

If the companies should find out it takes us only 30 mins for complete a job and they're giving us max 90 mins. They'll cut down our max time to 30 mins. They'll be able to see it in the log books and my asking management in the stores how long we stayed.

Thing are not the same as when I started in 2004 (only 3 yrs past) Much less over 8-10 yrs past.

What I meant to say if you can understand is;
Now's the time that if it takes you only 30 mins. for a max 90 mins. Don't let them know or they'll pay you for only 30 mins.

Log 90 mins.
Say it took 90 mins.
Report it took 90 mins.
Beleive it was a 90 min job.
Forget about the 30 mins.
Considering the last post: take or loss few mins.

~*~Mary~*~
Go to Top of Page

Danielle
Valued Contributor

Houma, LA
USA
224 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  11:03:45 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Yea, lol.... That is my modo too, lol... The thing is they pull this report and if it shows you are maxing out your time all the time then they call you out on it, so I need to cut back here and there regardless which to me is not fair to the reps. In the end who looses? WE DO of course, lol... But yes you are correct that is pretty much what I do as well but as you can see from my first post on it that is why I got called down for it b/c that is unacceptable with Crossmark now and they are watching, lol..

Danielle

Danielle Boudreaux
L&R Distributors
Reset Division
Go to Top of Page

Danielle
Valued Contributor

Houma, LA
USA
224 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  5:41:27 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
LOL... I just checked my book and I have been with them for 7 yrs, last raise was in 2003 went from $8.75 now to $9.00 but that was 4 yrs ago also. Why do you ask, I am assuming $9.00 range for crossmark is low?? Well apparently not quite low enough since they want to complain about 5 & 10 minutes off of a job, lol...

Danielle

Danielle Boudreaux
L&R Distributors
Reset Division
Go to Top of Page

Jane Walshing
Valued Contributor

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  6:02:09 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Sue AC, those people sitting on their butts are the ones working 7 days a week 18 hrs a day to get these jobs for us. I know, I was one of those "sitting on their butts" a while back.

You don't think they work as hard for their money as you do? Trust me, they do. Frankly, we make more in the field than they do if you consider the hour to hour aspect of it. They take time from family and other normal life just to get these jobs filled and ensure they are done correctly. On top of that, they are out there traveling all over the place trying to acquire accounts so we have work in the first place.

Give them some credit.

Jane
Go to Top of Page

Danielle
Valued Contributor

Houma, LA
USA
224 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  8:16:50 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Well you certainly make a good point and to be honest I hadnt realized I havent even had a raise in many years, lol... But like I said considering they are complaining about 5 & 10 minutes I think a raise would be out of the question, lol...

Danielle

Danielle Boudreaux
L&R Distributors
Reset Division
Go to Top of Page

Danielle
Valued Contributor

Houma, LA
USA
224 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  9:05:17 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
O wow that is alot of miles. Well be on the lookout for your instore time to be discussed as well. I met with my boss in April and she said nothing and then met with her last week and she brought this up. Now mind you I have been doing the same reporting full time since I started 7 yrs ago. So I am thinking this is something new they are making the managers discuss.

Danielle

Danielle Boudreaux
L&R Distributors
Reset Division
Go to Top of Page

MaryRod
Star Contributor

El Centro, CA
USA
542 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  11:16:32 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote

April,
Are you still working with Crossmark? Covering 100 stores a month at 20 hrs a week. That would be averge of 25 stores a week at 20 hrs. with may be 100 hrs drive time. Do you love to drive? Seems like you'll be less than I hr. at each location. How much an hr. At least $10 or over? What kind of job will you be doing? Plus alot of notes and paperwork one for every store. Can you deal with that stress? Plus keep tabs on mieleage times you arrive and leave each location ext......Please let me know what you'll be doing that you accepted this position. If it does not benifit you let it go,there will be other opportunities just do it professionally.

Daniella,
Do try for a raise, It curtainly will help out when cutting down your time, it makes up for it in money which is why we're working in the first place.

You have been working longer (years) than me. I did have merchandising experience but not quite as long as you. I started at $11 offered from the District Manager that hired me at the time. I've met another person working for a different product with Crossmark and she had been with them a few years making $9, just had received a raise. I started just before Nov. 2006 at $11, wouldn't be surprised of others start at $12. She now works for another company, American (something)

I work at 3 Wal Mart, bi weekly, at times monthly at Target or K Mart
I service Rayovac batteries and sometimes Spectrum Shavers and Hair products.

Yes new things are making changes and Dictrict Manager need to let us know. This is the only company that wants us to keep records of all details on our work. Sending me too much office supplies for the manuals and logging forms. Plus I was told to carry my note book with me on every visit. No way, I have stock my merchandise and just please my Dept Manager. She tellS me to CLOSE THAT BOOK!!!

Mary

~*~Mary~*~
Go to Top of Page

RebeccaS
Contributor

St. Cloud, MN
USA
92 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2007 :  5:41:30 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Can you work for more then one Crossmark division? How?

Rebecca ~ Merchandising and mystery shopping in the St. Cloud, Monticello, and Buffalo areas
Go to Top of Page

Mary A.
Contributor

Rock Falls, Illinois
USA
70 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2007 :  2:23:14 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I only reort as I was shown by my boss to report what I do. If it takes only 30 minutes then that's what I report.

Some projects are already done by store personal, am I supposed to take the credit for the time when I didn't do it?

This new time reporting is confusing as hell!!!

Some of my papers say time for project xxx amount of minutes time admin time xxx amount of minutes some them don't say anything.

I completely understand the company wanting to charge the customer for the time but I think they could come up with a alittle better system.

Go to Top of Page

Ricky_B

Kentucky
USA
48 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2007 :  8:01:02 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Some projects are already done by store personal, am I supposed to take the credit for the time when I didn't do it?

You can put down the amount of time it took to talk to the manager about the work being done by store personel and getting a signature. What I would do also is QC their work to make sure it's set to planogram or the client's standards.
Go to Top of Page

MaryRod
Star Contributor

El Centro, CA
USA
542 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2007 :  03:38:50 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Wondering....

Is any one else having trouble logging into Citrix, for My Info.?
crossmark.com/connect

I get:
Could not find Profile user Variable "portalrole"

I use a phone line with internet connection,local.net. I've called the Help Desk...and they've been no help at all. They seem to have had trouble with the site, and said the problems are solved.

Ever since I was hired last year I haven't been able to get in. I've down loaded a few aplications the instructions said to if we couldn't get it. They didn't help.

Now they want us to fill out a form EEO data form for the government, I can't get in, they won't send it out to me through US mail, email or fax.

I will next ask my District Manager to take care of it for me. That's It!! Period!! I've spent too much tring....I Give UP....Maybe be FIRED!!......

....Any advice or instructions, I could still have second thoughts......

Mary

~*~Mary~*~
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 33 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums