RobertH
Valued Contributor

Pinson, AL
USA
186 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2015 :  5:26:47 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Robert A. Miller

A friend of mine had told me that Crossmark was actually setting up routes so they would not have to pay any mileage. He figured out a way to get around it. A number of companies have tried this, only to lose all their reps. And they couldn't understand why. One would think that upper management looks at this forum board. But then again, upper management already knows everything anyway, so why bother.

I've done this sort of work for a very long time and seldom, if ever, have I spoken with reps who were more dispirited than they are right now.

Companies are driving down compensation rather than attempting to grow their business in order to become more competitive. Note this applies to the field service force and not mid- or high-level management (who, if anything, seem to be doing rather well these days). Old-timers are being kicked to the curb, despite experience and knowledge, in preference of young individuals who will work more cheaply (until someone else offers them a dime raise and they leave). I know that, all things considered, I was better off 15 or 20 years ago than I am now, and things look to be getting worse, not better.

And the real problem is that there's really nowhere else to go. I do not know of any companies that are doing this sort of business that are any more generous or secure or employee-friendly than any other; all are about equally bad now. Add in a very bad economy and the employee has precisely zero leverage.

Before now, things have always gotten better. Now......well let's just say that I harbor little hope.

Robert
Over 30 years in the Field
Go to Top of Page

Big Sue
Star Contributor

USA
785 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2015 :  5:39:04 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Boy Robert, I couldn't agree with you more. The decline and lack in the quality of decent merch jobs is astounding. Even most of the big companies/entities that used to be great to work for, are almost just as awful as the ones we used to consider the bottom feeders and would never work for or quit them. Talk about a race to the bottom. Sending people out to do a technical job or a reset that requires multiple photos, a 10, 12 or 15 page call form to be answered, tools and expecting the work to be done in less than an hour so that you are not even getting your hourly wage and often not even your state's minimum wage, and then subtracting your unpaid expenses and admin time is just depressing. There are never any raises either and nothing but unrealistic expectations. I have no idea why these companies would think that anyone in their right mind would keep working for them under these conditions. They just do not seem to care and like you, I don't see this changing or improving, sadly. Janitors make far more than we do at this point and are probably treated better.
Go to Top of Page

LHofsdal

Canastota, NY
USA
28 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2015 :  5:41:08 PM  Send LHofsdal an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I started Merchandising 14 years ago when I found out I was pregnant with my only child. It was great when I started. Flexible hours, decent paying and worked perfectly with being a new mom and with my husbands job.

Now, after having all these years of experience, I get calls for work that I have to laugh at. I had one company call and ask me if I could do some work because the rep they had went M.I.A. The reset needed to be done the next day. I asked what the pay was and they told me 9.25 hour. I asked where I would be going and the lady told me a town that was over an hour away from my home. I then asked if I would be paid for my travel, and she said they do not pay mileage or travel time.

I politely told her that I do not work for 9.25 an hour after having 14 years of experience in Merchandising and 12 years experience in Retail Management with a degree in Retail Management. She sounded deflated and mumbled that I was the last person in my area she had to call.

I told her if she was willing to pay my going rate of 14 an hour and pay mileage or travel time I would do it, she told me she was not authorized in doing so.

If these companies want us merchandisers to re work our schedules at the last minute to help them out they need to realize they are going to have to make it worth our while to do so. It amazes me how many companies have this way of thinking. I don't think they would push back work that pays more to work for a day making less money, so why should I?

Lori
Go to Top of Page

MariaMia
Star Contributor

Los Angeles, CA
USA
274 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2015 :  12:04:04 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I was on vacation till last night and came home to read the comments. They are changing the system all the time to save a few bucks and losing good and decent hard working people for what? A few dollars instead of investing in recruiting decent people and keeping them.

I m not sorry to go but I will miss some of the people I came to know in all capacities and finally friends. I m in a good place at this time and will work when I can if it fits my needs. I did not leave without thinking it through. I got to the point I was stressed out over what? Things beyond my control.... yes they are trying to get out of paying what is our due. I wish you all well.. best, Mia
Go to Top of Page

MariaMia
Star Contributor

Los Angeles, CA
USA
274 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2015 :  12:08:19 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Well said , I just read additional more recent comments.

I have done Merch work off and on for more years I care to mention. It was a good way to earn money at one time. It no longer suits my needs, working for peanuts dealing with impossible situations and expected to clean up someone else's messes without that extra compensation is more than a bad joke, it mind boggling.

I also have become disheartened.
Go to Top of Page

MindyZ
Star Contributor

Hesperia, CA
USA
514 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2015 :  12:43:15 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
We too have seen all the changes, we just got back from working a project in Reno, NV, just for shnitz and giggles I contacted a few temp agencies/employers up there.

As explained to me by one of the recruiters I talked to they are still in a "depressed" economy in the area, average wage for a temp is between $9 to $10 an hour, a cook gets more than that.

HubbyZ

Mindy
Go to Top of Page

RobertH
Valued Contributor

Pinson, AL
USA
186 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2015 :  3:42:49 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
While it might look like it based on the content of my posts, I really do hate being so negative all the time. But my attitude is nothing if not based on my experiences, and I just cannot, at this point, muster much enthusiasm for this line of work, nor do I have any cause for optimism, either personally or for this line of work more generally.
Sure, I hope to be proven wrong.....and sooner rather than later if at all possible.

Robert
Go to Top of Page

Robert A. Miller
Star Contributor

PA
USA
395 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2015 :  5:11:12 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Robert H., we understand your frustrations. I all but left merchandising in 2013. Mostly due to the doctor's advice. Had to give up the lifting. And I was a "beam buster" reset merchandiser. But like most of us, we had been seeing the downhill slide by all the companies. As you mentioned, someone is getting rich in these companies, and it isn't us! I think my biggest gripe is from those "snot nosed kids" telling us how to do a reset from their "almighty computer", when they have never been in a store. We were the ones that could look at a set and tell whether it would work or fit. That's my negative for today. I too do not normally respond in this fashion, but what is left?
Go to Top of Page

MindyZ
Star Contributor

Hesperia, CA
USA
514 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2015 :  7:29:51 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I had been in contact with a recruiter from one of the larger reset/remodel companies up until last week, job requirements were not much different from what I do now, Mgmnt contact/general job duties as a team lead, one big difference was having to train people sent to me, not choosing who I train, sometimes using temps.....yada yada, we left the door open for further talks but it really was not what I want at this time, maybe down the road..
Pay was not much of an issue, a buck more than I made 15+ years ago...will wait and see.
Jobs and pay just does not cut it for what I have learned the hard way, as I said a cook makes better money, maybe that's what I should look into?????
Also I have not really come into contact with many merchandisers recently, so I really have no knowledge of how things are "working" for them, we have not had no big projects to work where we would interact with them, they don't pay to work them from what we have been offered.
HubbyZ

Mindy
Go to Top of Page

EdMikes
Valued Contributor

Salt Lake City, Utah
USA
172 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2015 :  09:46:22 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Mindy,

Every company is trying to go PT if able in the different territories. That is contributing to the sparseness of Merchandisers in the stores.

when I was a Rep I was always in store at 5 Am and the only people I used to see were store employees and the Bread and Chip guys. Even now when I do a work-with or a store visit I sparsely see merchandisers as well.

Ed Mikes
Go to Top of Page

Robert A. Miller
Star Contributor

PA
USA
395 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2015 :  7:08:27 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
n some ways, I find it astounding that these companies are nave enough to think that they can have a rep in every little Podunk town that has a dollar store. Where I live there four dollar stores in a fifteen mile straight line, all the same company, ( two within two miles of each other), and the merchandising company wants four different reps. The really sad part is that they can't even get one rep to service all four stores, because they won't pay anything, nor any type of driving reimbursements. But yet, I can look at the vendor book at local Wal Mart, and see twenty different Crossmark rep logs. But then again, some exec and favorite managers are padding their pockets at the expense of the little guy.
Go to Top of Page

April2013
Valued Contributor

USA
174 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2015 :  11:59:18 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote

A realignment is happening in my area:

Crossmark has decided to merge the Walmart team with the CR team.

What this means is we are now no longer the Pittsburgh 605 team, but an all one Retail team. We will now have work in all retail stores.

A realignment is happening. They let go half of the Supervisors on the 605 team.

Go to Top of Page

April2013
Valued Contributor

USA
174 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2015 :  11:16:08 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
This company has people running all over the place with their new assignment system. They expect me to run 30-35 miles one way the beginning of the week and do the same thing again 2 days later for little over an hour's work both times. The only way I get paid travel is if I have something to do in my "home" store so I can plug it into the payroll system, but I still wouldn't get paid for the trip to the first store or from the last to my home (about 47 miles). The system assigns work by address and if someone is "found" to have too much work, the "next closest" person gets the overload. I'm wondering if the first person who is overloaded is given yet another person's overload, which just is making a cycle of projects being dumped. It is ridiculous.
Go to Top of Page

Cathy O
Contributor

Richmond, MI
USA
79 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2015 :  4:35:34 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It is a mess right now, not sure it's worth it to continue on. I've lost most of my stores and territory and keep getting someone else's in my assignment list which I don't want and refuse to do. Besides that I also got a new DM who is completely overloaded too. Tried to call the help desk to help with IT problems and it was a 30 minute wait at least. I also don't have time to mess with that, completely screwed up.

Cathy
Go to Top of Page

RobertH
Valued Contributor

Pinson, AL
USA
186 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2015 :  5:41:01 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I find it.....odd.......that every single one of the "major" merchandising companies are all undergoing massive restructuring, reorganization and realignment all at the exact same time.

I don't have my tinfoil hat on at the present time....but it is within easy reach.

Robert
Go to Top of Page

Robert A. Miller
Star Contributor

PA
USA
395 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2015 :  8:07:28 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It is really not difficult to figure out. One of the of the companies found a new way to screw over the employees. So all the companies have to do worse!
Go to Top of Page

EdMikes
Valued Contributor

Salt Lake City, Utah
USA
172 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2015 :  12:06:21 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Crossmark has always been extremely confused.

They always have 50 different teams wandering around each store. For them they think it's better to have one rep in each Wal-Mart then have the one rep cover an entire territory.

I think the reason behind that is because they don't have to pay any mileage as well as give Min hours to cover the stores.

I think Crossmark's system is and always will hurt them as far as getting bigger name clients.

However the constant restructuring and realignment needs to stop across the board. It will lead to the failure of one of the big "3" Merchandising companies one day.

Ed Mikes
Go to Top of Page

April2013
Valued Contributor

USA
174 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2015 :  5:18:53 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
There are no more dedicated reps as of last week. Now there can be 2 or more reps in the same store in the same week. Everyone does every store. When a rep in a certain territory is deemed overloaded the work is passed to the next "closest" rep by their home address. The next closest address to me it seems is under the 40 mile/1 hour needed to get paid to leave home and drive to the first stop. I would have to drive to the first store (32 miles) then back to the "home store" (27 miles)and then back home, sometimes more than once a week to work on the same display at the store. From what I've seen before I would only get paid a fraction of the 27 miles between stores. I handed in my resignation. I liked working in the regular store every week, but I will not let someone take advantage of me like that.
Go to Top of Page

Cathy O
Contributor

Richmond, MI
USA
79 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2015 :  07:26:31 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I've been thinking of handing in mine too. It's so crazy and I'm not sure it's worth the hassle anymore. I'm not driving a long distance to one store for a 30-45 minute job. I'm losing money doing that. I also have a mac computer which has worked fine for doing their work for over a year now but suddenly it won't work to change the password that is required to do now and also some of the training they require. Never had a problem before. They said they're only compatible with Chrome. Sorry, I don't have that on my computer.

Cathy
Go to Top of Page

EdMikes
Valued Contributor

Salt Lake City, Utah
USA
172 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2015 :  08:47:11 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Cathy,

Chrome can be downloaded for free at no cost to you.

Ed Mikes
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 33 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums