Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 18

Viajo
Contributor

Pickerel, WI
USA
65 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2009 :  6:20:01 PM  Send Viajo an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
5 minute drive time is really pushing it in some geographic areas....I have driven 15 to 20 minutes between some of mine and then I will be in small, small towns with only 10 stops tops....
Go to Top of Page

PsyJen

Albany, GA
USA
32 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2009 :  6:52:43 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Im currently working on the credit card program and really like it- except for the heat. Luckily it's in my own town- so I don't need to drive somewhere else or spend hardly any time mapping- expect for streets I dont recognize. Super easy & I am making an awesome wage. Now I hope I don't encounter pay issues like someone else mentioned.
Go to Top of Page

Mark Staas
Valued Contributor

Newnan, GA
USA
109 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2009 :  7:19:30 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I realize that some people are going to experience great results and some not so...
My post was to really explain that the $1500 that they state in the recruiting email is really far fetched and probably not close to the reality of what you will be making. A lot of people unfortunately see the $$$ without doing the math. Hopefully my post will help some people see the reality before they get taken hook, line, and sinker!

Mark A Staas-For ALL of your jobs on the south side of Atlanta!
Go to Top of Page

Sue A
Star Contributor

USA
450 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2009 :  7:27:11 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I agree with Mark. Most don't stop to figure out all the extra time involved of mapping out,reporting,etc. Oh and your printing cost,unlesss they have provided all the paperwork for you.

Sue A
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

Viajo
Contributor

Pickerel, WI
USA
65 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2009 :  7:29:00 PM  Send Viajo an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Sorry if I sounded critical Mark...I didn't mean it to be...excellent math! I was just emphasizing the rural situation and not as a slam to you....
Go to Top of Page

PsyJen

Albany, GA
USA
32 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2009 :  7:48:01 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Oh yes, I agree it was misleading...but it is possible. I dont agree with the 'hook, line and sinker' part like its a scam though. That's insulting to me and the other reps out there that actually are on this program making it work. Are you speaking from experience; have you even worked this program? For people that know what they are doing in the field, like myself, this is a super easy job which doesn't take my day up like you have it figured out to be. If it seems complicated- thats because some are making it harder than it needs to be or maybe they are just not well-suited for this type of field work. But like I said, I just hope I get paid properly.
Go to Top of Page

Viajo
Contributor

Pickerel, WI
USA
65 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2009 :  8:06:12 PM  Send Viajo an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hmmm..Jen...I have been working in this business quite some time and I also DO know what I am doing...Mark's calculations are right on except that for me, it would be even LESS pay due to where I am located! Perhaps you are in a metropolitan area? I quote you "Luckily it's in my own town- so I don't need to drive somewhere else or spend hardly any time mapping- expect for streets I dont recognize. Super easy & I am making an awesome wage. Now I hope I don't encounter pay issues like someone else mentioned." How nice not to have to route or map something out! You are in your home town! I am driving to towns and rural areas 2 hours from my home! Yes, I choose to live here but maybe we are comparing apples to oranges? The largest city I have to do has population of 100,000. I have worked it a few days and I can get quite a few stops done and MAKE money. But when I try to do MOST of my territory I do not make a decent wage if I want to do it correctly. One "city" today had 4 stops total. And one stop was 15 minutes north of "city center" and another was 15 minutes east. Do the math on how much I made. Again, I am choosing to make SOMETHING versus nothing but no way, no how can anyone say it pays well up here.
Go to Top of Page

Mark Staas
Valued Contributor

Newnan, GA
USA
109 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2009 :  8:07:58 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jen you are right and I didn't mean it to sound like you're a sucker...but that being said I'd venture that if you aren't working at this all day then you are nowhere close to the 1500 I was referring to...right?
FWIW I'm not doing it here as it makes no sense for me.

Viajo I didn't feel you were attacking, only supporting my theory.

Go to Top of Page

PsyJen

Albany, GA
USA
32 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2009 :  8:48:22 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Vaijo- yes, correct:) it's easier for me in my town because I am familiar with everything and there are tons of stores. thats why i said "luckily":) it's not my home town btw (Im not claiming it, lol)its a rural town w/100,000. I was offered other towns like you did- but chose not to take them on because that would add alot more mapping, drive-time, gas,bouncing from town-to-town etc. I did some last year in other towns w/another company and learned that it was a real stretch to make it worthwhile. So I reframe and add to my experience: If you have hundreds of shops within 15 miles of you (or in your city/town)- good. If you have to drive to 10 diff towns to get 200 shops- not good....but it money nonetheless:) Did I see that you had a pay issue?
Go to Top of Page

PsyJen

Albany, GA
USA
32 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2009 :  9:16:29 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
forgot to address mark- no worries:) i dont consider myself suckered....yet- lets get paid first, lol. so no- i havent seen that 1500 check. i only do about 20 shops a day right now because of this 100degree + weather down here, a few days a week...instead of banging them all out in 1 week working a full day. as long as i get them done and on time- my DM is ok w/me working it this way so far.
Go to Top of Page

Mark Staas
Valued Contributor

Newnan, GA
USA
109 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2009 :  9:42:05 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PsyJen

forgot to address mark- no worries:) i dont consider myself suckered....yet- lets get paid first, lol. so no- i havent seen that 1500 check. i only do about 20 shops a day right now because of this 100degree + weather down here, a few days a week...instead of banging them all out in 1 week working a full day. as long as i get them done and on time- my DM is ok w/me working it this way so far.

So you are making 500/wk and working 5 hrs/day???

Go to Top of Page

PsyJen

Albany, GA
USA
32 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2009 :  10:14:23 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
wow- u really are a math guy, lol. tech. i havent made anything- it will be a few weeks till i get my first check:) yeah thats a good day estimate so far- little less $. i mean, some days are gonna work out to be worse than others....it seems to weigh out.
Go to Top of Page

PsyJen

Albany, GA
USA
32 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2009 :  10:35:56 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
mark-just didnt realize u were in ga! if your town is a size like mine i would assume they have similiar amounts of shops, distance, etc. maybe you should apply and see how many they have in your zipcodes to see?
Go to Top of Page

ActorMichael
Valued Contributor

USA
145 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2009 :  01:55:15 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
This company is really taking advantage of people. To get around $5 bucks an call is an insult. For what they are asking you to do: drive to location, the call itself and the inputing of each call for only five stinking dollars is an insult to ones dignity to make an decent wage.

I'm sorry, but they really want people to do is push the Discover Card and some of the other cards to go through their network. This is an sales call. I don't know of any self respecting sales person who would make an $5 sales call. Do you? Most people in merchandising will not takes these jobs either.

If people would stop taking these lousy paying jobs like this, they would have to pay people an higher decent wage to complete these jobs.

Michael
Go to Top of Page

PsyJen

Albany, GA
USA
32 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2009 :  06:21:48 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have been merchandising for 6 years and have a lot of self respect, thank you very much.
Go to Top of Page

Viajo
Contributor

Pickerel, WI
USA
65 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2009 :  06:33:22 AM  Send Viajo an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Well, Michael, self respect is all fine and dandy but when it comes down to "do I keep my self respect or do I make enough to pay my mortgage and keep my house?" Hmmmmm.....funny how having a place to live wins for me every time....I'm glad you are in an area where you can pick and chose during these economic times, but some of us aren't in that enviable situation.....
Go to Top of Page

CariTX
Valued Contributor

Plano, TX
USA
201 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2009 :  08:35:30 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I agree with Viajo - this project was not one of the better paying ones, but when you need the money you make some choices and maybe sacrifices. It's not nice to cast aspersions on people's dignity self-respect when you don't know their situation or the details of the assignment.

MSPA GOLD Certified gdhls4. Happily shopping and merchandising in North Texas
Go to Top of Page

ActorMichael
Valued Contributor

USA
145 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2009 :  09:59:28 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It was not a attack on anyone's dignity. Just the fact that this job is lousy pay, and if that someone takes jobs like this it hurts the pay for everyone else in the long run. I'm questioning Stratmar's dignity.

I happen to live in one of the most expensive areas of the country. This job would not even cover an apartment cost.

You guys were complaining about the job and it's pay and time and effort involved. Don't complain about this job on this forum if you can't handle honest feedback. If Stratmar was paying an decent wage, this would not even be an topic on the forum.

Michael
Go to Top of Page

Mark Staas
Valued Contributor

Newnan, GA
USA
109 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2009 :  12:30:32 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I definitely have to support Michael's theory on this. It is the same reason that retail companies will never pay the merchandising companies any more...and hence the reason we will keep working for the exact same rate year after year. Because their will always be someone out there that is just desperate enough to do the work at the wage the companies offer. When I first started dabbling in merchandising about 5 yrs ago, there was a company that offered to pay $5 or 6 per assignment for "quick 15 minute assignments" so naturally my thinking was...roughly $20/hr. So heck yeah I'm on board. All that was involved was going into the toy departments and changing out "the batteries". Imagine the look on my face when the UPS guy shows up at my door with about 20 of these 8-10lb boxes with the "batteries" in them. So instantly I came and googled them because my thinking then and still today is their is no way anyone in their right mind would agree and follow through on this job! Guess what...I found Volition...and to my astonishment people are still accepting these types of jobs today. Reminds me of the lady I met last month that is doing the "balloon job" for that same company that tried to sucker me 5 yrs ago. She has four locations and they pay her $8/each to go into these locations and blow up balloons. It takes her all of 15 minutes to do these jobs. BUT she is driving 35 miles just to perform the job! I'm like "WHAT"? She says she is so desperate that she has no choice...and therein lies the problem. People think they are so desperate.
As I said before for some people the job will really work...for now. As for me I say not a chance.

Go to Top of Page

MarlaB
Star Contributor

Attica, IN
USA
2843 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2009 :  04:52:45 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It amazed me, after my first year, how much money I LOST by taking all those little 15 min jobs. After taking the mileage deduction, I lost on almost every job I did. I started being more picking and negotiating a higher rate, when possible, also starting to do the weekly shopping trips or whatever I needed to get in town. I live 15 miles away from anywhere, so I need to make at least $20 per trip to actually make money, and that's not anything but mileage expense.

Marla
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 18 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums