Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dee in AZ
Star Contributor

Tucson, AZ
USA
663 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2003 :  08:02:03 AM  Visit Dee in AZ's Homepage  Send Dee in AZ an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I am going broke buying ink for my printer. I know they have refill kits available or evan reused cartridges. It sounded like a great idea so I asked about them at Best Buy yesterday. The salesperson said they will hurt my printer? Is this for real? I can't help but think he just wants to sell me more HIGH priced new ones.
Anyone out there do this?
Thanks!

Dee
Ardent Services

CarolynRosell
Star Contributor

Vineland, NJ
USA
1417 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2003 :  08:40:28 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hi Dee,
I have been buying the refill kits over the internet for almost a year now. I have never had a problem with them. I have only bought the black though. It cost $19.95 and it refills 3 times. Well worth it (in my opinion)!

I shop Vineland, Deptford, Mays Landing and Atlantic City, NJ
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

Dee in AZ
Star Contributor

Tucson, AZ
USA
663 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2003 :  09:47:29 AM  Visit Dee in AZ's Homepage  Send Dee in AZ an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Thanks! I am always wary of a salesmans opinion. I think I will try the refill kit next time. I think it is a total scam what they charge for ink cartridges. They have to be making mucho bucks on them.

Dee
Ardent Services
Go to Top of Page

Amanda AshvilleNC
Valued Contributor

Ashville, NC
USA
118 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2003 :  09:53:20 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Look on the Volition.com "useful independent contractor tools" page. There are a few ink deals listed. I got one from a company called FreeInkCartridge and it works great. I plan on reordering from them again.

As for refills, some companies make it really hard to refill. They make big $ from selling the cartidges. HP are hard to fill and they leak once you break the seal.
Go to Top of Page

Dee in AZ
Star Contributor

Tucson, AZ
USA
663 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2003 :  09:54:57 AM  Visit Dee in AZ's Homepage  Send Dee in AZ an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Arggghhh! I have an HP printer. It is the hp officejet v40. A scanner, printer, fax and copier in one. Has anyone had experience refilling cartridges for this model?
Thanks!

Dee
Ardent Services
Go to Top of Page

Francesca
Contributor

Raleigh, NC
USA
55 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2003 :  8:49:54 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Dee, thought the very same thing you did when my printer ran out of ink at midnight in the middle of a report!! I am always looking for the less expensive route in life and I think ink cartridges are waaay too expensive. So the first time, I ordered a reconditioned cartridge over the internet plus a jetpak to send an empty cartridge in for refill. It was cheaper than officemax, but I wanted to try those refill kits. I saw the same one advertised on TV at my local CVS for $17.90 that can fill about 5 cartridges. That saves $100 plus dollars. I have a Canon BC-02, and it was ridiculously easy. I can't believe I paid up the nose all this time. Just goes to show you can take a cab or you can take a bus...you'll get to the same place, but the price will be very different! Goodluck with your model!

No ifs, ands, or buts...delivered on time and right the first time. Gold Certified.
Go to Top of Page

CarolynRosell
Star Contributor

Vineland, NJ
USA
1417 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2003 :  04:44:02 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hi Dee,
Try this link http://www.eink4u.com/hpofficejetv40.html

I shop Vineland, Deptford, Mays Landing and Atlantic City, NJ
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

Emma
Valued Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
196 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2003 :  10:11:40 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I decided to save some money by refilling cartridges. I read and followed the instructions carefully. In a few hours, my printer short circuited and stopped working. I lifted the cover to discover the entire insided was COVERED with ink that had leaked from the cartridge. There was also ink leaking out the back of the machine and all over my desk! I ended up having to throw the printer in the garbage and buy a new printer! As for refurbised cartridges, I had great luck with the ones from Walmart and Office Depot.
Go to Top of Page

JanetW
Star Contributor

New Orleans, LA
USA
271 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2003 :  1:42:56 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I've used several printers over the years, but when it comes to refilling ink cartriges, Cannon is my choice. For the number pages a shopper prints, forget the quality and go for the quantity. I was an HP snob for years, but when I flipped that Cannon cartridge over an saw all you had to do was soak up the little sponge...well things changed.

MSPS Gold Shopper since Nov. 2002
Shopping New Orleans and Gulfport--points in between and beyond.
Go to Top of Page

.ColleenNYC
Inactive

New York City, NY
USA
1700 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2003 :  4:40:30 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Dee, I have the same model. I love it, but I tried to refill the black cartridge. It was a big mess!!! Make sure you wear rubber gloves, when attempting this task. Good Luck!!!
Go to Top of Page

BlueAbe
Star Contributor

Mid-Central, Ohio
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2003 :  04:13:35 AM  Visit BlueAbe's Homepage  Send BlueAbe an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
We had a canon for all our printing, too. Till the cat decided she didn't like it one day, while I was out shopping. Never worked again..
Some of the cheaper ink refills are not very good. There's one particular brand, the ink is VERY thin. It runs and expands after printingm, making the printed papers hard to read.
It was some cheap kind I picked up at Meijer for $12.

Gold certified since the beginning. Merchandising, Mystery shopping, & Court Research throughout Mid-Central Ohio.
Go to Top of Page

AnneB
Contributor

WI
USA
55 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2003 :  6:19:17 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My printer also is an expensive-ink HP, but the brand has been so reliable it's worth it to me. On one of the Mystery Shopping forum threads, someone suggested setting the printer to 'Draft' mode (and 'Print in Grayscale') for everything that's not really, really important (photos, letters to Congress, etc.) It saves a lot of ink and prints perfectly acceptable shopper forms, first/second/third drafts of term papers, etc.
Go to Top of Page

TerriKay
Valued Contributor

WI
USA
172 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2005 :  11:31:17 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I didn't have success with the injet refill kit either. I have a Lexmark, and it messed things up. I threw away that cartridge and bought a new one, after which the printer worked again. *whew* I returned the refill kit and got my money back...told them it didn't work. I was glad they took it back!

Shopping Central WI
MSPA Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

DonnaYarb
Valued Contributor

Bonaire, GA
USA
244 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2005 :  07:12:28 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have the HP Office T45. I have been refilling the ink for well over a year on it. I bought the ink at Sam's for $19.99 and have had a lot of luck on it. The thing you have to remember is that the actual print cartridge has to be replaced every few fillings as they wear out. So far I've gotten 6 fillings out of the one kit(it had 4 black bottles and 1 of each color including photo ink). It has saved me a tremendous amount of money, but you have to read the instructions very closely.

Donna Yarbrough
MSPA Silver Certification # 4xkrhh
Shopping In Central Georgia
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1082 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2009 :  2:34:34 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The printer I have now is absolutely the most economical printer I have ever had, and I have had a few.

I had recently purchased an Epson that was eating me alive with the cost of ink. It was tempermental also. It had four cartridges, one black and three color. If one ran out, you could not print at all. I was needing to keep extra cartridges all the time.

Someone recommended a Kodak. The only place I could find one was online and I bought it. The black ink is $10, the color cartridge is $14.50. One cartridge of black prints 250 pages. I am saving a ton of money.

Walmart just started carrying the Kodak and they carry the ink. I am on cloud nine now. I'll just pop into Walmart when I need ink. Since Walmart is now carrying the Kodak, you can bet a lot of people will be buying it.

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Happily shopping the Houston, TX area.
Go to Top of Page

CariTX
Valued Contributor

Plano, TX
USA
201 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2009 :  07:36:44 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I use a company called Cartridge World for my ink cartridges. They refill almost every brand, and my HP black cartridge is about half what I would pay in a regular store. They will either refill yours while you wait or just give you a new one.

Here's the website:

www.cartridgeworld.com

MSPA GOLD Certified gdhls4. Happily shopping and merchandising in North Texas
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1082 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2009 :  12:09:43 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I use two printers. The HP cartridges are easy to refill. My husband does mine all the time for my HP printer. But the Epson cartridges were difficult to refill and I could find no place that would do it. However, there was a place that sold refilled cartridges (from China I think) for about $8.00 but they would not last long and I had a lot of trouble with them. The Epson printer would have difficulty recognizing the cartridge after it was about half empty.

It was not worth the aggravation to deal with it. That was why I didn't mind setting it aside and buying a new Kodak.

I am spending about one-fourth the money with my Kodak as with the Epson. The HP is realatively economical because we can fill the cartridges ourselves.

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Happily shopping the Houston, TX area.
Go to Top of Page

Gayle R
Star Contributor

Eastern Shore, VA
USA
1396 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2009 :  8:05:07 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I had an HP printer before I got the Lexmark that I now have. I bought one of those refill kits when they first came out but never could figure out how to use it. The cartridges for this printer are expensive so I only use the black. I should've checked the price of ink before buying the printer but I didn't. Lesson learned

Gayle
Go to Top of Page

DChristine
Valued Contributor

USA
220 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2011 :  02:09:05 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Gayle R...Lexmark doesn't let you refill their cartridges. I have one of their cheapest & one most expensive printers. I went to battle with the company over this last year.

I want to get a new printer that I can refill on my own. What is working best for everyone? I get in the store comparing printers and end up grabbing another cartridge. The went up $5.00 so it's time for a new printer.

Go to Top of Page

LarryT
Star Contributor

USA
688 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2011 :  09:02:38 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I used to use refill kits, then one time the cartridge I refilled leaked all throughout my printer and had to get a new printer. A real mess.

Then, I decided to buy refurbished cartridges, after using them for a while, I realized that they did not last as long as the manufacturer cartridges (even though they are marketed as supposedly having the same print yield as the non-manufactured counterparts) to the point that they were actually more expensive in the long run. So, I went back to just buying brand new cartridges.

I have hear that it is worth the expense of buying a used laser printer on ebay when you do a lot of printing printing as in the end it costs less per page, even when you figure in the cost of the printer. Best To go with something that isn't too old so that the toner cartridges are still being made on a wide scale basis and still being used in newer models being manufactured which keeps the cost of the cartridge down.

If you notice, the older the cartridges are (laser or inkjet) the more they cost because they cartridge is slowly being phased out and is no longer used in newer printer models that are being manufactured. So if you do your homework, you will find that at some point in you;re printer's life just buying a new printer will save money on the cartridges and therefore will be the most economical way to go in the long run.

Something to think about.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums