Page: of 11

.DonnaMorehouse in CA
Inactive

Sacramento, CA
USA
287 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2005 :  11:51:31 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hi!

I thought I was going crazy too. I just got up for a few minutes to check my e-mail and such. I am glad I found it too!
Go to Top of Page

.DonnaMorehouse in CA
Inactive

Sacramento, CA
USA
287 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2005 :  7:01:48 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hi!

I am guessing there is still a lot of California shoppers out there that we haven't heard from! I like seeing the posts from where the other shoppers are located.
Go to Top of Page

CarmenBolin
Valued Contributor

Camarillo, CA
USA
199 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2005 :  07:33:36 AM  Send CarmenBolin an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I think becoming Gold will help with those shops we just never get. At least that is what I am hoping.

So, you California Gold shoppers, do YOU get the Spa shops? lol

I look forward to meeting all of you in July!

MSPA Gold Certified July 2005
Shopping & Merchandising Ventura, Santa Barbara, and Los Angeles Counties
Go to Top of Page

Jason in Northern CA
Trainee

Turlock, CA
USA
6 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2005 :  1:33:07 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Okay, I will respond.

I am serving the greater central valley, Modesto to Merced.....and there has to be a bunch of you out there cause I am fighting even for the cheap shops....

I'm a part timer not going to the show. Have fun ya'11.

Jason in Northern Ca
(Okay, maybe more central valley ca)
Go to Top of Page

JQuan
Contributor

CA
USA
50 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2005 :  3:00:34 PM  Send JQuan an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I guess Jan and I get to take all of the East Bay shops :)

Joanna - Shopping Contra Costa, Solano and San Francisco Counties
Gold Certified, 1qws0b
Go to Top of Page

LoriSactown
Trainee

Sacramento, CA
USA
5 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2005 :  2:58:28 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I live in the Sacramento area as well. I have been shopping since January '05. Now I know why jobs are becoming scarce. There are lots of Sacramento shoppers.

MSPA Silver certified #t1oydv
Happily shopping Sacramento, CA and surrounding areas.
Go to Top of Page

MeganCA

San Francisco, CA
USA
10 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  4:25:12 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hi, I'm in San Francisco, shopping the Peninsula and east bay occasionally too. Anyone else in the city?
Go to Top of Page

Pamela S
Contributor

Martinez, California
USA
92 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  6:02:06 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hi Joanna and Jan, I to live in Martinez. But I never do Mystery shopping just merchandising. I do get calls now and than for those jobs though. anyway, so I quess it's three of us......so far... anyone else out there??

Pamela
Go to Top of Page

JQuan
Contributor

CA
USA
50 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  7:09:50 PM  Send JQuan an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MeganCA

Hi, I'm in San Francisco, shopping the Peninsula and east bay occasionally too. Anyone else in the city?

I shop in SF sometimes but mostly West Contra Costa...sometimes East as well.

Gold Certified, 1qws0b
Go to Top of Page

JQuan
Contributor

CA
USA
50 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  7:12:56 PM  Send JQuan an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pamela S

Hi Joanna and Jan, I to live in Martinez. But I never do Mystery shopping just merchandising. I do get calls now and than for those jobs though. anyway, so I quess it's three of us......so far... anyone else out there??

I had thought about merchandising but I really don't have much experience in what it entails. Do you need to have retail experience to do merchandising and is it heavy work? From the little things I've read, it seems to be hard work but decent pay.

Gold Certified, 1qws0b
Go to Top of Page

CarmenBolin
Valued Contributor

Camarillo, CA
USA
199 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2005 :  08:47:11 AM  Send CarmenBolin an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
JQuan,

I did not have any retail experience when I started merchandising either. It means you will start at the lower end of the payscale in many cases. You can learn a lot about merchandising by visiting the NARMS website and going through the tutorial/lessons. There is even a definition page, that will explain exactly what POG, POP, FOS, etc, actually mean. Although I both mystery shop and merchandise, the thing I like about merchandising, is that once you are working for a company, the jobs come to you... you don't have to scout them out, like you do with mystery shopping. Just do a search for any company you are considering working for. There are some that belong on the ten-foot pole list.

As far as the physical side of it, it realy depends on the company and their clients. I have read posts where people reset home improvement centers. Well, if you walk into Home Depot or Lowes and look around, you are dealing with either huge items (water heaters, lawn mowers, 200 lbs bags of mulch), or tiny items, (screws, nuts and bolts). Some like the physical challenge of those. But, there are other jobs out there that don't require the physical strength... just about everything seems to be merchandised. I have seen everything from candy, magazines, movies, shoes, socks, jewelry, underwear, belts and hats, housewares, greeting cards, video games, cds, and many many more.

Just be honest with the company and tell them you don't have experience but would like to learn. Many times, the companies will send a trainer to get you off to the right start, experience or not. Good luck!

Go to Top of Page

Sarena11
Valued Contributor

Rancho Cucamonga, California
USA
133 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2005 :  11:27:11 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hi all...

I live near San Antonio, TX now but my husband just took a job in Fontana, CA. This is in the Inland Empire in SoCal. We used to live in Newport Beach, but houses at the beach are

I know that being a MS means an unlimited amount of money and independent wealth, but we'll just buy a house inland a bit just for fun

I may be able to attend the gold conference in July, but if not will catch the next one. I am looking forward to meeting other shoppers.

But onto my real question....GAS???? How much is it now in SoCal? Wait don't tell me...I don't wanna know

Please don't say $3 a gallon

So what do you limit your area to as far as miles you will go for shops?

Thanks for the input and look forward to being in Cali next month!!

Shopping the Inland Empire in SoCal.
Go to Top of Page

CarmenBolin
Valued Contributor

Camarillo, CA
USA
199 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2005 :  12:57:33 PM  Send CarmenBolin an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Sarena,

Welcome back to So Cal! I went to the inaugural race at California Speedway in Fontana... I think that is my one and only time of ever being out in your neck of the woods, so no problems with competition from me!

Gas is about $2.60 where I am (Ventura County). Depending on where you are, it gets a little cheaper, or a lot more expensive. I think each of us has to make our own shop zone as a result. Last year, I would actually drive 100 miles without blinking an eye. This year, I am at less than 50 miles because of gas, unless of course, it is a really cool shop...

Go to Top of Page

Jason in Northern CA
Trainee

Turlock, CA
USA
6 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2005 :  1:19:28 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Sarena-

Where about in Texas are you???? I was just in Southlake/Grapevine last week, paid $2.14/gallon for gas.

I got home 4 days later, paid $2.87/gallon. Won't go back to that gas station.......It is about $2.70/gallon in Nor Cal.

I limit my shopping to 30 miles, unless I can do a group of 3-5 then I will do a trip of 50 miles or so....

Good luck with the move.

Jason
Silver Certified
Northern/Central CA
Modesto to Merced
Go to Top of Page

Sarena11
Valued Contributor

Rancho Cucamonga, California
USA
133 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2005 :  8:41:00 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hi Jason,

I live near San Antonio, TX now...but not for long!!

I can't complain now...it is always cheap gas here compared to other areas. It is about $2 to $2.05...not bad. But in So Cal you never know what to expect, so I appreciate your feedback!

Gotta plan out my days more in advance then I do here...not a bad thing!

Thanks again

Shopping the Inland Empire in SoCal.
Go to Top of Page

.DonnaMorehouse in CA
Inactive

Sacramento, CA
USA
287 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2005 :  1:55:03 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hi California shoppers: I just paid $2.75 per gallon to gas up my Focus. I am doing a few jobs in the Bay area and it is cheaper for me to take Amtrack. I am still trying to get time off to go to the conference in Anaheim. I still want to meet everyone. I know by summer gas will be over $3.00 a gallon.
Go to Top of Page

CarmenBolin
Valued Contributor

Camarillo, CA
USA
199 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2005 :  7:29:35 PM  Send CarmenBolin an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Donna,

Hard to believe the Amtrak would be cheaper, but I definitely understand. My little Corolla, which used to take $9.50 to fill up when I bought it three years ago, now takes $21.00 to fill up. Unfortunately, there is very little public transportation around me, so I have no choice but to drive. What I do, though, is shop when I am near a store I merchandise, or stack several in the same area. Otherwise, even $10 for a shop isn't worth it.

I look forward to meeting you in Anaheim!

Go to Top of Page

.DonnaMorehouse in CA
Inactive

Sacramento, CA
USA
287 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2005 :  8:17:22 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I never thought I would get tired of a certain restaurant that I love their food . I have mystery shopped every restaurant of theirs around town. But they have a good deal going to the end of May. I can get a free companion ticket on Amtrack so my honey and I went to Emeryville for a hotel shop for $34.00 round trip. Then we decided to go into San Francisco. The Amtrack scheduler put us on the bus for free. 15 minutes into San Francisco and no traffic. Then when we had to buy bus tickets back it was only $6.00 for the both of us. So $34.00 for round trip tickets for two and $6.00 for bus tickets for a day in the city. Can't beat that. So I have been stocking up on those 2 for one tickets. I am looking forward to Anaheim also.
Go to Top of Page

DebraAvery
Apprentice

Victorville, CA
USA
1 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2005 :  10:53:43 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I love your sense of humor. I shop mostly in the high desert of Southern California, plus Orange County. My parents live ther eso its easy for me. I love the job and love traveling. The paperwork is want I need to really get a grip on.LOL...! It takes all my energy just o keep organized...but I do.

Debra J Avery
MSPA Silver Certificate
# vvzwwh
Go to Top of Page

.DonnaMorehouse in CA
Inactive

Sacramento, CA
USA
287 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2005 :  5:59:49 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hi Debra:

The high desert. Whew!! I was there in August. My boyfriend is considering a job in L.A. I am scared don't know how much work I can get down there. I see you are close to Hemet and Antelope Valley. My boyfriend is from Long Beach and knows your area well.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums