Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Mystery Shopping, Merchandising & Demo
 Mystery Shopping
 Is being MSPA Silver or Gold Certified Worth It?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 36

BigMikeyP
Star Contributor

Chicago, IL
USA
336 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2009 :  8:24:03 PM  Visit BigMikeyP's Homepage  Send BigMikeyP an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BigMikeyP

After reading some comments on this topic, I am still debating whether I should become at least Silver Certified.
I took the plunge today and am now silver-certified...we'll see where this leads for sure....

Silver-certified Mystery Shopper covering the Chicagoland and Northwest Indiana areas.
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2009 :  10:55:33 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Since I got gold certified, I have received some offers specifically stating that they want "gold certified" shoppers. Also, there are some Sassie companies I rarely heard from and they are sending quite a few emails. I did a job for one recently. It was a $10 job with a $15 bonus. I signed up with this company a long time ago and this was the first job for them.

So far it looks like the gold certification is bringing me extra offers and more offers with bonuses.

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Happily shopping the Houston, TX area.
Go to Top of Page

ShayB
Contributor

Memphis, TN
USA
50 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2009 :  09:43:01 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I've been shopping for 10 years and am silver certified It hasn't made one difference to be silver certified for me. Hasn't helped at all.

Shay
MSPA Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

Ebony

Denver, CO
USA
34 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2009 :  11:22:50 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I took the plunge today and am now silver-certified...we'll see where this leads for sure....
[/quote]

BigMikey - have you seen any difference in the number or type of shops you have been offered since you became certified?

Ebony
Go to Top of Page

EricNY
Contributor

Long Island, NY
USA
63 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2009 :  12:52:18 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I recently contacted a scheduler about a shop that I was REALLY interested in. I wanted to see what my chances were of getting it since I have a pretty good reputation with this company. I was told that there were a number of "gold" shoppers that had already applied for this shop and that it would be assigned to one of them. Since I would really like to get some of these shops in the future, I would say that being gold certified would be worth it for me. I'm sure there are people who get plenty of shops that they are happy with and so they don't feel they need the certifications (to each their own).

Since MS is my "on the side" job, I figured I would at least take the $15 plunge to see if there was any difference for me. I can say for certain that one company has definitely moved me up the food chain and given me some shops I was never offered before. The first one more than covered the $15 it cost me for the silver certification.

Obviously these certificates won't catapult you to the top of the list of every company out there; but it doesn't hurt to have them. If nothing else, you will get contacted by some MSPA companies that you may not have signed up with yet, since you are now on the list of certified shoppers.

Eric
MSPA Gold Certified and shopping NY/NJ
Go to Top of Page

Cilla
Star Contributor

MD
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2009 :  1:01:44 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Eric,
You are right; certification is only one piece of the puzzle. However, if you produce great reports and have the gold certification, you will not only gain entre to some better paid (and more interesting) shops, you will also get repeat business from those schedulers. I got gold certified within 3 months of starting shopping in 2005. I figure that the amount of ""Gold Gets Priority" businesss that I have done has paid for the seminar many times over (each and every year.)

I do not think that there is any reward for getting only the silver certification; it is just the gateway to the gold workshop.

Cilla
MSPA Gold Certified 2005
IMSC Certified 2009
Go to Top of Page

BigMikeyP
Star Contributor

Chicago, IL
USA
336 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2009 :  1:06:04 PM  Visit BigMikeyP's Homepage  Send BigMikeyP an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I can't say either hey or nay on what Silver Certification has done for me...I have gone out on a limb and taken different shops and have noticed my "grades" consistently between 8 and 10 depending on the company...at this point I don't think I'll try for the Gold Certification but that may change in the next year or so.

One thing I will say is that I've been doing more shops...of course when I'm signed up with 15 MS companies thats bound to happen

Silver-certified Mystery Shopper covering the Chicagoland and Northwest Indiana areas.
Go to Top of Page

Jeff68005
Star Contributor

Bellevue, NE
USA
1171 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2009 :  02:36:26 AM  Send Jeff68005 an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Based on tonight's email invite from a Sassie company that I never knew existed, gold just might hold the spot for me. These shops did not show up on Jobslinger Plus for about 15 hours about after I received the Jobslinger Recruiter email. The email and registration process makes it clear they strongly prefer gold.
I registered and applied for six visits across the metro area in one day. They all went to another shopper or shoppers. NUTS!!
=============
I know for a fact that because of the gold, I received a series of very easy reveal shops that anybody could have done a few years ago.

Mikey ... keep applying. Jobslinger Plus shows me registered with 42 Sassie companies. (No, I have not worked for all of them, but that is slowly changing.)
I gave up counting the Prophet companies, but some of them are my best clients. Then there are the MSCs that do not use either of them.

Jeff Hix
Serving metro Omaha, Nebraska including Bellevue, Papillion, La Vista, Ralston, Plattsmouth and Council Bluffs, Iowa.
MSPA Silver Certified - MSPA Gold Certified - NARMS Proficiency Test PASSED
Go to Top of Page

MaryJay

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2009 :  8:01:02 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I've happily and successfully worked many years in Corporate America. I've mystery shopped many years, happily and successfully. I've shopped anywhere from $10 to $250 shops - fees. Reimbursement shops are not money in the bank to me, though they can enrich otherwise.

I've never paid for a job in any environs. They pay me.

Edit, 12-1-09: It's been brought to my attention that I replied but did not address the question. Pardon me. No, I do not feel paying for a certification is worth it. I feel it's a mail order diploma, so to speak. In no way am I impugning the decision of shoppers who believe it worthwhile. I speak only for myself. I do not believe that a shopper with zilch experience in the field, who purchases a certification, will be given preference in assignments before an experienced, strong performer.

I have heard there are few shops only given to gold-holders. I've also heard 'Certification is only $100 which can be recouped'.

Not swayed. I'm holding onto my Benjamin.
Go to Top of Page

Servanne
Star Contributor

Silver Lake, MN
USA
2430 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2009 :  07:07:18 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MaryJay
I've never paid for a job in any environs. They pay me.

And that's the way it should always be.

However, the MSPA certification is not "paying to shop".

Servanne
Merrily shopping my way through the Twin Cities, Western Minnesota and beyond...
MSPA Gold Certified since April 2007!
Go to Top of Page

SandiA
Star Contributor

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2009 :  07:49:28 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I've been told, by more than one scheduler from several different companies, that when they look at the list of applicants for a job they take the first gold certified shopper with a good average score that comes up.

SandiA
Celebrating 14 Years in the Biz!
MSPA Gold Certified since 2003
Go to Top of Page

Kelly F.
Star Contributor

WA
USA
563 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2009 :  9:12:15 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have found that experience is what they are looking for. At least all the companies i have dealt with, that is what they have told me even tho i'm silver certified.

Kelly,
Silver Certified.
Merchandising The Puget Sound Area and Loving it! Love what you do, do what you love!
Go to Top of Page

Vonni
Valued Contributor

NC
USA
193 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2010 :  11:07:00 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have had my Silver for a few years now. I found that it made a difference almost immediately. I would like to go for the Gold, and I had really planned on doing it before now. I was a little disappointed when they changed it to CD instead of the workshop. Do they offer any workshops now, or is it totally CD?

Yvonne
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

Cilla
Star Contributor

MD
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2010 :  1:30:55 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The last I knew it was totally CD. Of course, if you want a fantastic workshop experience, with a certification, attend the Independent Mystery Shoppers' Conference in Las Vegas in August.

Cilla
MSPA Gold Certified 2005
IMSC Certified 2009
Go to Top of Page

JTLongino
Trainee

Austin, TX
USA
6 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2010 :  3:36:13 PM  Send JTLongino an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Has anyone else had their certification code disappear? I've had companies reject the code I gave them, so I went to the MSPA site. Looks like the entire certification section of their website is "under construction" and has been for a couple of months.

I took the Silver test online back sometime in 2007.

James
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2010 :  4:00:57 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
23 years in the business and haven't done gold or silver yet. I haven't noticed that I've needed it. Someday - when I've got a minute or two - I'll look into it. Meanwhile I'm busy enough without it.
Go to Top of Page

Bev Shopper
Contributor

CA
USA
69 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2010 :  09:30:18 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Will we be able to get Silver and Gold certified at the Convention in Las Vegas?

Bev
Go to Top of Page

IMSC
Independent Mystery Shoppers Conference

Las Vegas, NV
USA
332 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2010 :  09:52:07 AM  Visit IMSC's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bev Shopper

Will we be able to get Silver and Gold certified at the Convention in Las Vegas?
You get Silver certified online through the MSPA website.

The MSPA is one of our sponsors this year and they will be selling the DVD at a discounted rate. It will be $75.00 to our attendees and they will be able to answer any questions you might have.

Independent Mystery Shoppers' Coalition
http://imscinfo.com
Email: info@imscinfo.com
424-235-IMSC (4672)
Go to Top of Page

Sandee

Missouri
USA
45 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2010 :  9:08:25 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I think being Silver Certified is worth it. If you are operating a business it's an expense and it also shows a company that is not familiar with you that you were interested enough to become certified. I live in a rural area and it seems it is opening doors with companies new to the area. It may help get your foot in the door but your shops will determine your advantage with the company.

Sandy G
MSPA Silver Certified.
Go to Top of Page

Bev Shopper
Contributor

CA
USA
69 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2010 :  11:34:46 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Am I assuming correctly that first I would get Silver certified and then I would get Gold certified?

Bev
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 36 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums