Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Mystery Shopping, Merchandising & Demo
 Merchandising & Demo
 Where is the vendor log book usually located?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MerrylNL_in_NJ

NJ
USA
30 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2005 :  3:32:25 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hi, I have my first two merchandising jobs this week. They are real easy. I will be putting candy in a display. I was told to sign the vendor log, and ask for the manager. Ok, where is the vendor log book usually located?? This is for a Target, btw. Do I go to the customer service area? Will the manager then take me, or have someone take me to the back area for the candy? I know this will be easy and I can do it. Just want some pointers from the experienced!!

I have set up a new BB&B store. But as a temp employee, not as an IC.

Thanks for the advice!!

Merryl

TerriKay
Valued Contributor

WI
USA
171 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2005 :  4:36:47 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
In my limited experience, the vendor log is usually at the customer service desk. You can also ask to speak to the manager while at the customer service desk.

How the manager handles it from there will probably vary. Some will refer you to the manager of that particular department, and others will just send you back to do your job.

Good luck!

Shopping Central WI
MSPA Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

CarmenBolin
Valued Contributor

Camarillo, CA
USA
199 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2005 :  5:58:07 PM  Send CarmenBolin an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
At the Target that I service, the vendor sign in book is in Receiving. But TerriKay's recommendation to check customer service is a good one too. It may be different in each Target.

When you ask for the manager, the manager should be able to tell you how to find the candy or point you to someone that can help you. In my experience, most of the people in Target are very friendly towards merchandisers, you just need to ask.

Good luck!

MSPA Gold Certified July 2005
Shopping & Merchandising Ventura, Santa Barbara, and Los Angeles Counties
Go to Top of Page

MerrylNL_in_NJ

NJ
USA
30 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2005 :  6:51:25 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CarmenBolin

At the Target that I service, the vendor sign in book is in Receiving.
Where is receiving located at your target store?

Merryl
Go to Top of Page

SelenePN
Star Contributor

Fairfax, VA
USA
942 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2005 :  6:56:41 PM  Send SelenePN an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Yes - Each Target can be different. All Target stores I have worked at have their Vendor Log Book at the Customer Service Desk. If you ask someone at the Customer Service Desk, he or she should know. However, very rarely I would have to speak to a second or even a third employee before I could track down the Vendor Log Book.

There could be multiple books, with A-Z tabs, ordered by Vendor Names. For example, if you are looking for DEF Company, you will need the A-M book, and not the N-Z book. You will have to check with your instructions to find out which Vendor Name page you should log under. For example, you may be working as an IC for Merchandising Company A to stock products made by Manufacturer Company B. The instruction may tell you to either sign the log under Company A or Company B. If your instruction does not say, I would suggest that you call the scheduler and confirm. If you don't have time to check, usually you should be able to log under either. Also, sometimes there is no existing tab for the company you are supposed to sign up under. In that case, look at the very end of the Vendor Log Book. There are usually blank pages without pre-printed company names. You will fill in your name and the company name by hand.

I usually sign in before I call up the manager, and sign out after I am completely done with the manager. The managers are extremely busy, and they will appreciate if we don't take up any extra minute from them if not necessary.

P.S. Almost every store (not just Target) I have worked at has their Vendor Log Book at the Customer Service Desk. In my experience, the only store that has their Vendor Log Book at the Receiving is Costco. The Receiving (at least for Costco) is at the rear of the store. Usually you drive to the backside of the store, and you will see where huge trucks coming in and out of. It should be very obvious. I think this should be the same with Target (or any other store). There should be a door bell you can ring. But again, I am talking based on my experience with Costco. I have never had to go to the Receiving for Target stores.

[updated 3/27/05] CarmenBolin is right - You can park up front and walk to the employee-only / receiving area from within the store. I forgot to mention the reason I had to drive to the back to the Costco receiving is because they wanted me to visit at 6 AM or 7 AM when they were not open to the customers. So, I couldn't have entered from the front entrance.

Thanks,
Selene
Go to Top of Page

RoseE

NJ
USA
22 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2005 :  04:17:50 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I reside in NJ and at one time serviced many Targets throughout Southern NJ. I found that all of the stores that I visited kept their Vendor Log at the Return desk in the front of the store.
Good luck and keep positive! You will do just great. Please remember to ask the store employees questions if you don't understand something. That is the best way to get comfortable with a new job and your best experience will come with their help.

Rose
Go to Top of Page

CarmenBolin
Valued Contributor

Camarillo, CA
USA
199 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2005 :  08:26:27 AM  Send CarmenBolin an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I, too, have serviced many Target stores at one time or another here, in So Cal. At each of the Targets I visited, the vendor sign in book was located in the receiving area. The first time I visited each store, I went to Guest Services and asked for the log book, and each time, I was told "I don't know... not here."

I also service several other stores quite regularly, and MANY of the log books are in receiving. I know K-Mart and Target were, while Wal-Mart and Sam's Club were both at the front area, Wal-Mart in Guest Services, Sam's at the LP desk in the front of the store. I also had one store, I think it was a Babies R Us, where the vendor log book was located locked up in the manager's office. The manager told me she wanted to make sure and meet any vendor that came in, so that was her way of controlling it.

In any case, if I have to go to receiving to sign in, I don't drive around to the back. I park in the front, walk in through the front doors, and just walk through the employee doors into the back. Like I said, though, each store is different.

Oh, and just to show how things are different, at the Costco here, the vendor book is at the LP desk.

MSPA Gold Certified July 2005
Shopping & Merchandising Ventura, Santa Barbara, and Los Angeles Counties
Go to Top of Page

SylviaS

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2005 :  11:44:47 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I service 2 Targets. One store has the vendor log at customer service while the other has it in receiving. I would first go to customer service. If they know you're new to the store I'm sure they'll have someone show you where the log is, whether it's in customer service or receiving. The above posters are correct, Target employees are very nice. You shouldn't have any problems.
Go to Top of Page

MerrylNL_in_NJ

NJ
USA
30 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2005 :  4:33:41 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
A big thank you to everyone that responded. The Target I went to today had it in receiving. The other one I need to go to I am told is at customer service. All the team members today were great, and very helpful. The biggest issue was the Store had conflicting paperwork on when the display was to be set. After I called the merchandising company and then my scheduler, and the team member looking at different paperwork, I was allowed to fill the display. So, I was there for 1 1/2 hours instead of 45 minutes to 1 hour. I am hoping the other one I need to do will go a bit smoother!!
Go to Top of Page

MarlaB
Star Contributor

Attica, IN
USA
2780 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2010 :  5:38:55 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
At my Target, the vendor log is in the office. At Sams, it's back in receiving. At each of the WalMarts, it's been in Customer Service. BestBuy now requires a password before you can do any work, and the employees can't give it to you. No password, no work. My HHGregg doesn't have one. These are a few stores that I have serviced.

Marla
Go to Top of Page

MarkFL
Valued Contributor

FL
USA
145 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2010 :  5:50:59 PM  Visit MarkFL's Homepage  Send MarkFL an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
At 2 of the newly remodeled Walmarts here in my town, they keep it at the Customer Service Manager podium.

Mark
MSPA Gold Shopper and Professional Merchandiser.
Go to Top of Page

Gretta
Star Contributor

Jacksonville, NC
USA
1558 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2010 :  6:34:01 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
For the ones I've serviced: Target (several in the Charlotte area and one in Jacksonville, NC) all have theirs at the Customer Service Desk. WalMarts seem to have one at Customer Service and one in the back. Drug stores in general have theirs at the cash registers. Dollar stores do not seem to have any, also grocery stores do not seem to have any.
Go to Top of Page

Sue A
Star Contributor

USA
376 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2010 :  8:40:16 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My Target, kmart,bb,kohls,kroger,pennys,hd,WM is at the customer service desk. costco in receiving, lowes requires that you sign in on the computer.Some grocery stores have a sign in book and some don't.

Sue A
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

MariaMia
Star Contributor

Los Angeles, CA
USA
256 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2010 :  9:27:36 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Also some vendors have ID tags that allow you to scan into a register by receipt and payment of a penny. Some companies (retail stores for example) want you to sign in through security and enter only through the employee entrance. I would call ahead and ask if you are not sure. Things have changed alot lately. Mia
Go to Top of Page

BrianInGA
Valued Contributor

Columbus, GA
USA
148 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2010 :  07:45:51 AM  Send BrianInGA an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Winn Dixie is the only grocery chain around here that consistently has vendor sign in logs -- evidently as a result of a big corporate push a while back. Most locations have logs at both the customer service desk and the receiving area, and vendors sign in/out of one of the logs depending on point of entry.

Brian
MSPA Silver Certified - Contact me for your shopping and merchandising needs in Columbus, GA and Phenix City, AL
Go to Top of Page

Judith S
Trainee

Pikeville, KY
USA
9 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2010 :  1:07:35 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
In KY Walmart has one at Customer Service Desk and one at back entrance. Dollar stores have pages on a clip board you have to sign. Large grocery chains have a sign in at customer service and at back door. Drug store have a book at the front register and one at the back door.

Judith Adkins-Spears
Go to Top of Page

Kelly F.
Star Contributor

WA
USA
552 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2010 :  8:09:18 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
yes in the walmarts,fred meyers,alberstons and safeways and qfc's here,it's always at the front customer service or returns desk.

Kelly,
Silver Certified.
Merchandising The Puget Sound Area and Loving it! Love what you do, do what you love!
Go to Top of Page

Donald NJ
Apprentice

North Bergen, New Jersey
USA
4 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2011 :  3:04:48 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
What does the vendors sign in book or log book look like? Does their size and apperance vary greatly from store to store?
Exactly what type of information do these books contain?
I have seen the suggestion made on one of the forums that looking through these books can be a valuable source of information about merchandising and product DEMO opportunities in your local area. But how practical is it to actually do this?
Are they usually located in areas where one can sit or stand quietly and look through them for a short period of time? And if some of the store employees observe you looking through their book for 10 or 15 minutes and possibly taking notes are they likely to object?
Also, does anyone know what happens to these books when they become full and must be replaced by a new book? Are the old books simply thrown away or they saved indefinitely in some type of a file in the office? If they are eventually just thrown out and you notice one of the books in a store becomming almost full could you possibly ask some of the store personal to save it for you and eventually take the whole old book with all of the information that it contains home with you?

Donald NJ
Go to Top of Page

MarlaB
Star Contributor

Attica, IN
USA
2780 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  5:22:36 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The books that I've found are usually either 3-ring binders or clipboards. Some of the stores require that the log sheets are kept for 3 years. I have stood and looked thru one of my stores. The employees looked at me weird, I just explained that I was looking for more work in their stores. No problem. I didn't find any more work, but it was an experience.

Marla
Go to Top of Page

MariaMia
Star Contributor

Los Angeles, CA
USA
256 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  6:10:37 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Sometimes its a clipboard with a daily vendorlog page on it, but mostly its a large 3 ring binder with front and back pockets. Some Vendors staple their business cards to their page. It all varies. Most of the time its in a busy area. My best advice would be if you want names or sources.. take a little notepad and jot the names of what looks interesting. M
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.7 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums