Previous Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1710 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2015 :  6:04:50 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Wendy, how is it going with Retail Data? Do you like being a data collector?
Go to Top of Page

WendyG
Star Contributor

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2015 :  2:12:59 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It is going ok. The decision to stay is about 80% right now. I want this to be a long time part time job for me. So I want to make sure it is the right one.

Here are things that are good so far. The training was quick. Their payroll person called to say my first check will be paper and when she will send it out. (When does that EVER happen, scored big bonus points with me.) No checking in with associates or management for my project the Comp Shop, BIG PLUS. My Supervisor has returned communications promptly. The pay for training as a Data Collector is above average of merchandising pay in my area. I can work around my other job and go in the early am's until schedules can be changed to Sunday Monday off. I work 5-6 hrs, then go back at night. I break it up into 3 visits in 2 days. I can get the list done in 14 hours instead of 16 they allow for training. You go in 2 days only Sunday and Monday, and a rescan on Tues and Wed for some items if needed.

To explain quick training as a good point. I would just rather get out into the field and do it. Work through the questions on my first visit. We had about a 1.5 hour training call to go over the device. The rest was all self-training from the website. I would say 75% stuck with me, and then by the 2nd time I am already starting to pick up short cuts/helpful hints on my own. Working off a list compliments my OCD, I mean I start the list and usually don't even look at the time until 3 - 4 hours later.

Here is the not so good stuff. Physical demands, and once you are out of training pay goes to piece rate.

To explain the not so good stuff. Physical demands, I am 47, I have been out of merchandising for about 2 years. 5 years ago I did 12 hour make up resets for Loreal. I know that I am out of shape, but between 5 - 6 hours I get stiff from the bending and reaching. Every time I go - it gets better and longer before the stiffness comes. So hopefully that will work itself out. I have been really giving it my all to see if I can get a piece rate that I can live with for a comparable wage after training. I am not sure how that is going to be, that is why I am giving it an 80% stay rate right now.

Headway was the 3RD party that hired me. Their hiring process is a little bit more high tech then I have been used to, they used a video conference app on the phone, but I managed. I would say most everything was accurate EXCEPT for the facts about being a leisurely shopper "undercover". During the interview, it was encouraged that I take a cart and even do my own shopping while looking for prices on products. This is so far from what the job entails. At the rate I move to scan 40-60 items an hour, I would wear out the wheels of the cart and it would only get in the way. Besides you can never stay "undercover" when you are trying to MAD-SCAN the HABA or TOY section. I keep a very low profile and smile but do not converse with the associates and to date, they have left me alone.

Notes about it. I have always worked merchandising as a 2nd job. Back in the day, I worked project rate and was happy with that, you got paid one rate no matter how fast you worked. When the Big 3 companies came in, and you had to start getting paid $10.00 an hour and you had to stay in the stores 2.5 hours to get your $25.00, that is when I stopped working merchandising. I do not fear the piece rate pay, I want to get the job done as proficiently as possible since I am already working all the time. And this is the type of job that will allow you to do that. If you are person that likes to go in at leisure, and may not always be focused and needs to make conversation, this job probably would not be for you.

I am a loner, I just want to get my work done so I can go home and garden and make enough pay to buy my plants, seeds and bulbs. So it is perfect.

I will let you know how it goes. Next update may not be for a month or so. If you want more information, please feel free to email me.

Wendy
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1710 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2015 :  4:40:32 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Wendy, I quit this job in an email. LOL...I hated it. Do they have mapping now for the lists you get prices for? I had no mapping and I went over from one aisle to another 17 times. I counted once. So for example you have to do prices for deli and dairy or produce. Do they have all items for each department together? Yea, you can make a lot of money doing this .....but I was totally miserable. They had us doing full store scans ....so I was scanning for 2 - 3 days to do the whole store.... so I could not do anything in that period. Good luck and hang in there. This is definitely a job as a tax write off for the companies hiring you ..so you will not lose this job.
Go to Top of Page

MariaMia
Star Contributor

Los Angeles, CA
USA
274 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2015 :  6:34:20 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I was also hired by RD and its been erratic to be sure.

The training for what Wendy does has not happened with me yet as the device had to be ordered. I was trained on a device similar to what I used when I was working for another Data Collection company.

I don't have a territory and as I said the training stops in a few months. I will also reserve judgement about this as it is physically wearing as Wendy mentions. I m older than she is and well just regular scanning is hard on the bones.

Keep in touch Wendy. I hope I can keep this job as well. M
Go to Top of Page

WendyG
Star Contributor

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2015 :  11:33:07 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
To answer you question about the lists. I do not scan the entire store for my project - I have a list of 650-800 items. They are broken into catagories and about 90% are where they should be. However the 10% can be annoying. Example, under the Bread list- you are busy scanning Sara Lee bread, and then boom- Pillsbury Funfetti Browning mix is on it. Which is in the baking area. You do not have to follow the order of the list. So when I get stuff like that. I leave it to the end, knowing that I will have to do a quick walk through when I get down to pick up the 4 of 5 items.

What I also do, is that if you have a big scan in the toy department of 100 items or more. You can go do the stuff you know you can find, and then when you start getting frustrated with the stuff you cant find, you can take a break from it and go scan another area. It helps me clear my head and I come back and only have 56 items to go through. And somehow I find stuff that I know I missed the first time through.

Wendy
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1710 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2015 :  06:22:37 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
As I know the money comes in handy, but the job would be getting worse and worse. You did the right thing for you!! Full store scans and no mapping is not good when you have other things to do.
Go to Top of Page

SharonQ
Star Contributor

Florida
USA
888 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2018 :  09:20:51 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Any new info with this company?

Call me crazy, but I LOVE resets!
Yes, even cosmetic resets.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums