Page: of 40

Shyeela
Trainee

Manitoba
Canada
5 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2005 :  11:07:22 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Does anyone garden?
I have three gardens,two veggie and one herb.

JKidder
Valued Contributor

Grand Rapids, MI
USA
173 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2005 :  09:40:29 AM  Send JKidder an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I would like to but I don't know how to get started. I have a place in my yard that won't grow grass, a pool used to be there. I am going to turn it in 1 huge garden. Veggies and herbs only.
Go to Top of Page

ChristiAS
Contributor

Round Rock, TX
USA
89 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2005 :  4:14:29 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have a small raised bed in the back yard that I put in last year. We enjoyed growing a few herbs (parsley, dill, basil, sage and several varieties of mint) and some tomatoes. It was fun and we are looking forward to expanding a little bit this summer.

Shopping Austin and Surrounding Areas
MSPA Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

KristenNC
Star Contributor

Charlotte, NC
USA
326 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2005 :  4:28:54 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'm into greens! I have a raised bed with cutting lettuce and spinach. I put sugar snap peas around the edges. Those never even make it into the house. We (me, my daughter, and my dog) eat them right off the vines. Our Carolina climate is warm enough to grow lettuce all winter long. Of course by late June, it is too hot for it. I have perrenial herbs growing around all of my borders and I am getting ready to put in my basil. I never have much luck with tomatoes, though, for some reason.
Go to Top of Page

JKidder
Valued Contributor

Grand Rapids, MI
USA
173 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2005 :  7:29:02 PM  Send JKidder an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I am in Michigan and I am not sure what to grow. Here is what I would LIKE to do: tomatoes, carrots, beans, snow peas, summer squash, zuchinni, basil, cliantro, parsley, lettuce, green onions.
Go to Top of Page

FroggyCrystal
Valued Contributor

Easley, SC
USA
187 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2005 :  05:03:14 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I am getting ready to get my veggies in the ground. We grew several of them frm seed because my daughters like watching something grow like that. My husband says that we need to condition the soil with peat though. I guess we will get a couple of those giant "bricks" this weekend and get it all mixed in well. I can't wait. One of my girls eats tomatoes like apples. Just bites right into them. It will sure save me money this year on our tomato and lettuce sandwiches!

Shopping the Upstate of South Carolina.
"I do because I must do something." Mother Theresa
Go to Top of Page

Shyeela
Trainee

Manitoba
Canada
5 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2005 :  10:07:53 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Well I just threw in about four one ton loads of manure in my garden last year! I was lucky and have a neighbor who has a cattle farm so he has lots to get rid of. LOL

and I am going to put in another flower bed so I am just going to till up a section of yard and make a border with some field stone.

and this year I am planting some berry bushes such as saskatoon and cherry and such.

In my veggie gardens I am planting beets, carrots, spinich, green onion,yellowbeans,greenbeans,bergundybeans,cucumber,rutabaga,lettuce,radish, corn,gourds,butternutsquash,zucchini, brusslesprouts,tomato, cantalope,watermelon,pumpkin, peas, parsnip and potatoes.
Go to Top of Page

Shuree
Star Contributor

Chesterfield, MO
USA
316 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2005 :  08:14:49 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I do not have a "real garden" but I thought I'd try to grow some herbs on my windowsill in little pots. I will probably have to move some outside into bigger pots but I liked how this looks (and smells!) I thought you might like to see my cat admiring my new herb garden...

http://www.shuree.com/emmy.htm
Go to Top of Page

LisaBGoesShopping
Star Contributor

PA
USA
3092 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2005 :  12:14:06 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Shuree, that's a charming windowsill herb garden you have! Does the window face north, south, east or west? I'm wondering how important that it for growing herbs in the window.

By the way, your cat is beautiful, and I love the shade of pink on your wall.
Go to Top of Page

Shuree
Star Contributor

Chesterfield, MO
USA
316 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2005 :  3:01:44 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I am pretty sure it is South. It gets great sun from 1-4pm. I think they've grown an inch since I got them this weekend.

Thanks! The color of the kitty doesn't show up too well but she is chocolate. You don't see many chocolate kitties!

Yes, we are very brave with color. The office color is "blue spruce" and my bathroom is painted navy with gold sponge all over... to match my zodiac shower curtain.
Go to Top of Page

Shyeela
Trainee

Manitoba
Canada
5 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2005 :  06:39:49 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote

I'd plant herbs inside but hubbay says I have enough indoor plants as it is LOL

But I usually freeze and dried them so I have enough to last the winter.
Go to Top of Page

SandieS
Star Contributor

Long Island, NY
USA
504 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2005 :  4:42:02 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have tried so many times to get a garden going, but the fight I have with the garden pests is too tiring! I live near the water, so I'm dealing with all kinds of things.

Anyhow, I found out that peas and green beans grow excellent in my garden. Also, the strawberries do well. So, that is what is going in the garden this year; beans, peas and strawberries.

Last year, I decided to try growing lettuce in large window boxes. It was perfect! No weeds, no pests, and great lettuce every time. So this year, I'm planting two to three window boxes of different types of lettuce, and am also going to grow the tomatoes, eggplant, peppers and bush cucumbers in large pots. I also grow the herbs in window boxes. Much, much easier.

MSPA Silver Certified
Shopping Suffolk and Nassau Counties on Long Island, New York
Go to Top of Page

Shyeela
Trainee

Manitoba
Canada
5 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2005 :  7:21:16 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
If you stick pantyhose over most you can keep a good many of the pests away. since the hose will grow with your plants, just put the hose on when the fruit starts to grow.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1689 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2013 :  05:07:51 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It is that time of the year to start seeds. I have 5 basil plants, parsley, cilantro and plan to sew a LOT more seeds for this summer's gardens. I am looking for geranium seeds but have not seen any in the stores. Does anyone know how I can find them without ordering from a catalog?
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3049 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2013 :  9:03:10 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'd try Lowe's, Home Depot, and a gardening store (if you have one locally). I don't recall ever seeing geranium seeds, but I have several friends who have potted geraniums that are many years old and gorgeous, so it is a plant I would happily buy as a little one and expect to grow larger over a long period of time. I tend to get seeds only for plants I consider annuals.

Last year we grew tomatoes in containers. This year I hope our raised beds get set up. We dismantled them and brought them when we bought the new house, but just didn't get them put back together last year.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1689 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2013 :  04:43:00 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have looked in Walmart, Tractor Supply, Rite Aid, Kinney Drugs, Lowe's, Dollar General, Aubochon hardware, Home Depot and no geraniums. I called Burpee last year and got Border Mix geraniums... white, coral, fuschia pink and scarlett red. They were gorgeous! I will order from them again. I also have a Jung catalog.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1689 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2013 :  06:43:37 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I called Burpee after getting an email about $2 flat shipping fee. I ordered Border Mix geraniums, yellow pear tomato, Rutgers tomato, sweet California Wonder pepps, jalapeno pepp and fresh salsa tomato!!

Jnanne, I used to live in Thibodeaux and Morgan City. I saw the next door neighbor's okra growing and I tried to grow that here but with no luck. You have a great growing season down there for sure! What do you plan to put in your garden?
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3049 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2013 :  1:55:07 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
We don't plan to put in much this year. Probably three different varieties of tomatoes (I like the large, meaty ones for sandwiches, my daughter likes grape or cherry, and my mother-in-law likes salad tomatoes), jalepenos, red bell, onions, and herbs. We have pots of cilantro, parsley, basil, sage, oregano, chives, and garlic.

I'm putting bulbs everywhere that grass won't grow well--iris, Easter lily, day lily, surprise lily so far, but I plan to expand. We have monkey grass that blooms delicate purple blossoms all along one side of the fence. It takes up the 5-6 feet of space to the road and about 30 feet along the fence. I'm moving the violets from the yard to a space under the big oak where the will be left alone to get big and multiply. The property already had several hosta and lots of blooming trees and shrubbery, but no flowers, so I plan to remedy that. We also have some gorgeous foxtail ferns that are green year round. We added to the elephant ears with a different variety, and I have some prickly paws that are in pots that I plan to plant along the fence where the dogs want to dig under. Eventually they will be big enough to make large yellow blossoms.

I'm very pleased with the longer growing season down here than what I had become accustomed to in IL.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

Iron Chef Toni
Star Contributor

Plano, TX
USA
462 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2013 :  09:27:07 AM  Send Iron Chef Toni an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Mint, sage, oregano and catnip for the cats has survived the winter. We were lucky and did not get any really hard freezes. I will plant basil, cilantro, chives and dill in a few weeks. I might have to trim back the rosemary. It started out 5 years ago as a little topiary christmas tree bought at home depot on clearance for $5. It's now about 4 feet across and just as tall. The really thick stems make great skewers for chicken kabobs.

Toni
Gold certified in N. Texas
Now doing Merchandising exclusively!
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2013 :  4:03:28 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I lost my peach tree this past year due to disease. My husband just planted me a new one...Tropic Sweet Peach, a freestone that does well here in Texas. I can't wait until it produces. There is nothing better than fresh peaches off the tree.

I would love to put in a garden but, when it gets super hot here in Houston, I can't stand to be outside long enough to take care of it.

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Happily shopping the Houston, TX area.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3049 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2013 :  04:06:12 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
We have a garden at the church that is pretty big and getting bigger this year--whenever the ground dries out enough to get the tractor in there to start the new beds. We grow produce that we donate to the local food bank.

Starting in April we are going to be serving free breakfasts to the neighborhood and when the garden starts to produce we plan to use some of the harvest in the cooking. We also plan to make veggies and herbs available to give away to those who come to the breakfasts. While the area immediately around our property has very few homeless individuals, (they tend to migrate to the part of downtown where shelters and day services are available) we do have a lot of families who are below the poverty level. We're hoping that this catches on and we can expand the number of days each month. We're starting out with just one Sunday morning and are hoping that once folk figure out there are no strings attached--no fee or charge, no expectation that they attend a service, nobody witnessing--just free food for those who are hungry, that it catches on and we can expand. The mission here is to feed people.

And if anyone is interested in learning to garden or starting their own plants at their homes, we will be happy to help with that, also.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 40  Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums