Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 40

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1689 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2014 :  4:56:48 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jnanne, it sounds gorgeous!!

It is amazing what difference more expensive seeds make. I grew jalapenos last year and bought seeds at a dollar store. I got Burpee jalapeno seeds and the peppers are soooo much better tasting!!!! Woohoo!!
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

Eau Claire, WI. 54703-1729
USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2014 :  12:06:57 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jnanne, I noticed amongst the your list you also have prickly pear. Do you by any chance make prickly pear jam/jelly? While visiting in AZ at my daughters, a neighbor had given her a jar that my daughter wouldnt eat. Wanting something on toast one morning, she mentioned all she had was this jar of jelly. It was delicious,and had me wanting for more. I checked out the huge flea market we visited, but the samples tried didnt taste, or look like that my daughter had been given. The jelly my daughter had was pink and sweet, but not overly so like so many other recipes Ive found online. I have access to the cacti, but not a recipe. I would imagine the color comes from the flower color on the cacti, am I right?
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3049 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2014 :  2:42:47 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have eaten the jelly and really like it, but have never attempted to make it. I just love the beautiful yellow flowers on my plant. I also have several Christmas cactus plants indoors that have a variety of colors in their blooms. They came from my grandmother, and my dad says they have been around as long as he can remember--he was born in 1934.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1689 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2014 :  3:55:38 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I picked cherry tomatoes, salsa tomatoes, green/yellow beans, podded peas, sugar snap peas and picked a lot of seeds.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1689 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2014 :  6:01:19 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just potted lots cilantro, parsley, sage & geraniums ...started seeds 8/18. I am going to let basil, delphinium, colu&bine coleus grow a bit more before potting them. They are still sort of tiny seedlings yet.

I read about planting seeds to grow impatiens inside. I will be doing that soon. The article said they need to be misted. I got a whole box of seeds at the F$ store.....they are red, pink, purple, lavender & orange!
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3049 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2014 :  08:31:37 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Sounds like fun to me. I still have some bulbs I need to get in the ground, but that is all I plan to fool with till spring. I have too many indoor creatures to succeed with indoor plants. My Christmas Cacti all live at my husband's shop--moved them there after I watched one of our cats yak up a 6" long stem!

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

HeatherP
Star Contributor

AZ
USA
368 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2014 :  02:26:34 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have seen my cats eat bamboo. (And yack it up...) I keep NO plants in the house!

Heather
Silver Certified Shopper
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1689 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2014 :  05:38:21 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I grew cat grass and catnip for a friend of mine that has 3 cats. That kept her cats away from her houseplants. Catnip is a tiny tiny seed to plant but grows well. Cat grass seeds are laid on top of the soil and not covered at all. It grows like lawn grass.

HPersellin, do you have plants or a garden outside?
Go to Top of Page

HeatherP
Star Contributor

AZ
USA
368 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2014 :  02:47:23 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'm hoping to do a container garden next year. I'm not allowed to plant in the ground where I live. (In a mobile home park.)

Heather
Silver Certified Shopper
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2014 :  12:06:15 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jnanne, I can only imagine how beautiful your Christmas Cactus is. My former MIL also had one that was humongous. She had hers planted in a very large cast iron kettle on a stand, and it hung to the ground. In the summertime, she always placed it outside. It too, was passed down to a daughter who takes loving care of it.
Well, canning season is rolling full speed ahead here.My son and I froze up 2 bushel of corn, and then he got another 2 1/2 bushel for free, that I canned up to GIVEAWAY! A jar didnt seal so we tried it, and neither of us liked it canned. My next to the oldest son came to visit and I got him to help make and can tomato juice and tomato paste. I remember being so anxious for canning season to start, now I can hardly wait for it to end! There is still lots to can up yet too. Before he heads home, Im going to get him to help can up some more juice and paste, then I should only have possibly a few canners left for canning dice tomatoes and salsa. Then, its on to digging carrots, garlic, and some of the potatoes to can up. Today is a day of rest- Im WHOOPED!
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1689 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2014 :  2:51:21 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
HPersellin, I have no idea about growing in Arizona. I am in the northeast. I found a pretty garden forum...www.gardenweb.com They have threads about states, regions, plants, seed exchanges etc.

H... I am glad you posted here.. Welcome! May I Call you HP for short?? lol

Judy, glad you are whooped.
Go to Top of Page

HeatherP
Star Contributor

AZ
USA
368 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2014 :  12:48:54 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the welcome! HP is just fine! I have been following the forum and learning LOTS!

Heather
Silver Certified Shopper
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1689 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2014 :  05:48:53 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I had to pick all sweet peppers yesterday. I thought they would get big but noticed round holes in them so I guess the birds pecked at them. I made stuffed peppers... best I ever had. I do not expect them to put holes in the jalapenos. Nothing will eat them but me, me, me.

I potted seeds I started 8/16 and 8/18... Now I have delphiniums, columbines, sage, parsley, cilantro and lavender.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1689 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2014 :  08:27:49 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Anyone else breaking down the garden?? I started.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2014 :  10:54:51 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Weve started to til under those veggie plants that have already stopped producing out at the farm garden. Im making Italian spaghetti sauce today to can up, and Im only doing a canner of diced tomatoes for making hot dish and chili to be canned today, and Im calling it quits.There is a lot of Roma and Big Boy tomatoes yet, but my part is DONE, Ive done plenty. I believe there are 8-10 rows of potatoes yet to dig, and 2-50 ft rows of carrots left out at the farm. Honey Dew and cantelope are ready to be picked. Then its wait for the squash, and hopefully the garden will be done for out there. Ive got 2- 50 ft rows of carrots here at the house to dig up and can also, plus those from the farm. Thankfully, this canning season is winding down. Any of the remaining veggies can be given away, I dont care. This year has really been a fantastic year for a garden, other than losing all those tomato plants to juglone disease. Dont you just hate the thought of winter coming? The weatherman and Farmers Almanac are predicting another nasty one here. From all reports on the news the northeast doesnt fare much better. Its just too bad the states out west didnt get the much needed rain and snow in the mountains they need so desperately.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1689 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2014 :  11:47:53 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Judy, yes we are supposed to get a polar vortex which means cold and snow for mid September. That is why I am starting now. I usually grow thru October.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2014 :  07:21:08 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
The polar vortex weather is predicted for a wide area across the US. I hope we havent changed from summer to fall already because this coming week is going to be all below normal temps. Today its a cool 58, windy, and cloudy after yesterdays HIGH 97% humidity and 70's temps. By 5 PM it was very foggy out, and we couldnt see out the house windows as they were all steamed up too. All I did was prep tomatoes and Italian spaghetti sauce for canning yesterday, which Im canning this morning. This is a good sweatshirt day! I sure hope we dont get that early winter weather theyre predicting! I know the NE usually has rough winters, you sure dont need it to start early.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1689 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2014 :  07:34:49 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
There are sooo many signs of early winter around here. Leaves started to change in July.

I had 2 goldfinches pecking at my sunflowers this morning. They are gorgeous!!
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3049 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2014 :  07:48:55 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
No early winter signs here in Louisiana, yet. Daily temps remain in the 90's or occasionally higher. Rainfall is not as bad as in the last few years, but still not up to where it should be to keep all the plant healthy and the drinking water plentiful.

Our garden has gone downhill more from the heat and lack of rain than from the cool. Don't know what the winter will bring. Last year we actually experienced cold--temps in the 20's. That's unusual for this area. The natives were really frozen, as you can't buy a decent winter coat at the local stores--not even Wal-Mart, Target, or Burlington. They make do with sweaters under light jackets.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1689 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2014 :  11:45:40 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I am already planning my garden for next year. No bush beans, pole beans and peas, cherry tomato, Cherokee purple and romas. I ate one of the yellow pears and they are horrid!! Plants are really cute with the little pears shaped tomatoes but yuck.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 40  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums