Previous Page | Next Page

Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 39

JudyK
Star Contributor

Eau Claire, WI. 54703-1729
USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2014 :  3:17:25 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
What are the yellow pears to be used for, if not for eating? Is it more of a decorative plant? Like you, were also planning for next years garden ALREADY. All I know, is Kurt is making the garden BIGGER, and I hope I have the same energy to can.I broke my promise to myself to not can another Roma. I made a double recipe of Salsa to split between two neighbors, then made up a boxed assortment of canned and fresh vegetables for each of them.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1645 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2014 :  05:32:53 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Judy,
I went to Gardenweb forum and saw a lot of negative comments for yellow pear and now I know why. I grew them cuz they are pretty plants with the pear shaped tomatoes. I am giving them to my neighbor. She said I should put them in salsa or batter them to fry. I did a search and there are a lot of things I could do with them so I will. I saw recipe and serving ideas.

It is always good to plan a garden a year ahead. My herb seeds are doing very well...parsley, cilantro and sage for now. I will keep trying to grow dill. arrrrr

Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2014 :  1:50:58 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
IF this little pear tomato tastes bad fresh, how would adding it to other dishes help? Id be picking every little piece out, rather than regret wasting an otherwise good meal.I wonder how anxious youd be to eat it cooked..lol. You mentioned having trouble growing dill, why so? I left dill in the dairy drawer from making pickles a few weeks ago, and it left such a good smell in the fridge I hated to throw it out, even though it looked as fresh as when I put it there. Just the smell of it made me want to make pickles.NOT. The way Kurt is eating them though, they wont last all winter!
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1645 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2014 :  06:42:52 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I read at Gardenweb forum about glad bulbs. They may not grow again. I thought if I stored them for the winter, they would grow but they might not. Time will tell. I need to take them out of the dirt and store them dryly.

I have no idea why I cannot grow dill but it dies quickly. My cilantro, parsley and sage are doing great!!!! I was not able to grow basil either, but I asked Burpee and they told me to use seedling mixture instead of potting soil, so that is what I use now for everything. I should email Burpee and ask about growing dill. I love it.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1645 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2014 :  4:51:03 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
We should have a frost tomorrow night. I will cover things up. Forecast said 34...too close for me.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2014 :  4:01:45 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
McBarb, why not dig up some soil from your yard and just plant your dill in that in a planter? This is the first year weve planted dill and it produced a LOT0. Now the plants are almost 4' tall and were cutting them off to hang upside down to gather the seed for cooking.We didnt use any kind of special soil either. Ive been kept busy canning and freezing acorn and butternut squash. Now this is a big job! My cutting hand was very sore until, I got frustrated and did a search online for an easier way to perform the task. Using the sites advise, I then placed each squash in the microwave for 3 minutes, which in turn made it much easier to peel. I only canned up 21 qts, before changing over to freezing the remainder. Our dog was doing her usual dancing around once she smelled something cooking she wanted. Needless to say, I was shocked she loves squash. Weve never had a dog that goes absolutely crazy over any kind of vegetable like this dog. I made up a dish of mixed vegetables for her as she was begging so badly last night, after shed already eaten. She gobbled it up like it was the best treat she ever had. Tonight, curious if she really wanted squash, I gave her some from a jar that hadnt sealed. I didnt add any salt to the jars, so felt at ease giving it to her. She loved it, and besides its so very good for her I found out.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1645 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2014 :  05:19:03 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I will plant dill seeds in a pot again. My parsley, sage and cilantro are doing great!! I have no yard or dirt to dig up. I bought potting soil to do my "raised bed garden" this June.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1645 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2014 :  03:54:38 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
28 tonight
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2014 :  12:32:20 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Brrr, and when are you expecting snow? Is it unusual to get this cold this time of year over there? This whole week has been cold here.Overnight low's in the low 30's, and in some parts of town theyve already had their first frost. Our temps SHOULD be in the 70's but were lucky if we hit 50 daytime temp.This weekend is supposed to be in the 70's so well get the carrots dug up out at the farm, and canned. I dug up several here at the house for stew,but the soil was too hard to just pull them out, so I had to use a small garden scoop. NOT looking forward to winter!
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1645 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2014 :  05:08:30 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It is 27 right now. Guess that was the low. I put sheets and tablecloths on all plants. I brought some inside and put them in the enclosed staircase I have. Everything is fine. Temps should be a lot warmer for 10 days.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1645 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2014 :  09:21:19 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I was wrong about the yellow pears!! I ate another one that was totally ripe and they are very tasty. Thank goodness cuz I will have a lot of them. I have 4 plants.... Burpee seeds.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1645 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2014 :  05:42:40 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The yellow pear tomatoes are great for salsa, salads, chili etc. I read many bad posts about them at the garden web forum but I love them ...once they are ripe. If you grow them and see any green at all... do not eat them. They will turn almost an orange color at the tip before they are ripe. We had one night at 22..I took many branches off the plants due to frost. Now we are having our typical fall weather. We have no forecast at all of cold polar vortex weather with snow. It has been gorgeous!!
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3045 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2014 :  5:29:17 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Since I really love a tomato with bite, I've always preferred the red to any orange or yellow. Those two colors tend to be milder in flavor--not bad, but not my favorite. Don't believe I've ever given a yellow pear a chance, though. Glad they turned out to be something you enjoy!

Our tomato plants have suddenly started to bloom anew. Don't know why the long period of nothing, but maybe we can get a few more fruit this season. Even though the cukes are brown as can be, they keep producing good veggies. Go figure.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1645 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2014 :  04:43:04 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jnanne, brown cukes? I am with you on the tomatoes,... no more yellow jubilee but I will grow the yellow pear again. They are so pretty and good in salads, chili or sauce.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2014 :  05:46:18 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Welcome back Jnanne, I thought you had dropped of the edge of the world, its been so long since youve posted. Brown cukes? Are you referring to the plant being brown, or the vegetable itself? If the plant itself is brown, I too am having this, but I believe its because our growing season has come to an end. Yet, the tomatoes here are still going like crazy, while the Roma plants are looking VERY straggly. So much so that Ive propped the limbs up and around the cages just to ripen whats left on the vines. NO more canning tomatoes, Ive been sharing them with my neighbors. The weather here has taken a dramatic turn. This weekend it was in the 80's, while this week the temps fall to daytime highs in low 60's. ONLY in WI can you wear shorts one day, and a winter coat the next.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3045 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2014 :  09:09:46 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The leaves and vines are brown and withered, but the cucumbers continue to grow and look/taste great. Don't know how they are getting the nutrients they need, but hey, we'll enjoy them while we can.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1645 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2014 :  07:15:02 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I do not know anyone that grew cukes or squash successfully this year. My neighbor and my friends both had plants growing...of course they bought them but they did the same thing yours did. Theirs was mold and destroyed the plants. I myself do not buy plants to begin with cuz you do not know what you are getting.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2014 :  12:54:51 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
We planted cucumbers, pickling cukes and squash from seed, and we only had about 8 large cucumbers out of a 50' row. Our pickling cukes went wild, as did the three varieties of squash. We thought the cucumbers didnt like the soil to grow in. Strange that others had the same problem. Plus, the odds of all of us purchasing the seed from the same company is next to nil.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1645 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2014 :  2:35:45 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Well the one friend grows her cukes in garden soil mixed with sand her hubby got from the state and she grows them in tires. I would NEVER grow anything edible in a tire. Tires are for vehicles.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2014 :  08:11:14 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
MANY people use tires up here to plant vegetables, and flowers in without any negative incidents. Used auto, motorcycle,semi-truck, and tractor tires are big enough that most plants wont touch the sides, are easy to maintain, and help confine plants to one area. Theyre just as safe as using plastic,or thick foam containers,if youre concerned with them bleeding unsafe chemicals into your plants, plus, a lot cheaper to get your hands on. Some will paint the exteriors and decorate them to make them pretty to look at. What is your concern about using them?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 39  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums