Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 39

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1634 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2014 :  05:18:52 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
That is not a problem with me at all. I have a lot of seeds....vegies, herbs and flowers.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2014 :  1:59:44 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Just finished planting calla lilies, irises, Easter lilies, dahlias, and daffodils. It is so nice to live in a place where I don't have to dig up dahlias this time of year! It is around 70 degrees out right now with an expected low tonight of about 60. Great gardening weather.

I also just put a bunch of potted mums and a couple of something I couldn't identify into the ground. They were all dried out and maybe too far gone, but the flower shop next door to my husband's store gave them to him for me to try to salvage. She hates throwing away something that maybe can be saved, but doesn't have the space to try to revive them herself and can't leave them where customers can see them. Who'd shop where they can see the rejects? So I stick them in the ground and let them sink or swim. Saves me a bundle on landscaping costs! About half the mums she gave me last year survived and look pretty darn good.

We're just finishing year two of the ten-year plan. Wonder how pretty the place will look in the spring? I just can't wait to see everything I planted come up and bloom!

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1634 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2014 :  05:15:39 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Good for you Jnanne!! I plan to plant seeds in a day or so. I have a list next to the computer. Coleus, geraniums, sweet pepps, cherry tomato, beans, peas, beets, chives, cilantro (last batch died), columbine, granny's nitecap(columbine), allysum, impatiens, cleome and marigolds!!!!! ~~ I may not have room for all of those but I will try to plant all of the list.....
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1634 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2014 :  3:38:22 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I thought if I planted seeds, it would cheer me up. Weather has been too much for me. Rain, snow, snow and more rain. It will flood soon... I know it will. Anywho, the seeds I did plant in August and September are doing great.... except for the cilantro...that died again. Columbine, geraniums, sage and Hungarian wax peppers are happy and look wonderful.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1634 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2014 :  06:02:30 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I planted seeds for hours Sunday. I planted geraniums, annual and perennial hollyhocks, dill, basil, green bouquet basil, delpheniums, columbine, granny's nitecap, peas, beets, cleome, marigolds, yellow pear tomato, coleus and jalapenos.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1634 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2014 :  04:54:38 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
A lot of seeds came up so far...geraniums, basil, green bouquet basil, beets, peas, outhouse hollyhock ( annual) and marigolds.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2014 :  4:55:50 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Sounds like you are having fun. We've had several days of rain with more expected. Nothing huge--just sprinkles, pauses, a bit of a respectable downpour, more pauses, more sprinkles. No thunderstorms. No wind. Nothing to scare folk indoors, as the temp today reached 70. It's just so dreary with no sunlight. But all those almost dried-out plants I put out recently should be getting a good chance at establishing a good root system before we get either the next cold snap (cold down here generally doesn't last longer than a snap) or the next long dry spell.

Oh-spring has such a possibility of being so pretty. I just can't wait!

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1634 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2014 :  07:40:55 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Yes Jnanne, I am having so much fun gardening in the winter. Most people say "You cannot grow anything in the winter." Hmmm, but yes you can.

What are the bulbs that are lighter in color than the yellow daffodil with the perky yellow center. Are they daffodils or jonquils?
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2014 :  08:16:26 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My question, exactly. I have not yet figured out whether they are the same plant with two different names or if they are very close cousins. Seems to me folk down here use the names interchangeably. I think I need to either ask the Master Gardeners or do some real research on my own for that one.

My mother-in-law took a sprig of a tree from our yard to the Master Gardeners recently. Neither of us had a clue what the trees are, but they're gorgeous. Broad-leaf evergreens with beautiful pink blooms that started opening around Thanksgiving and stay pretty for several weeks. Found out that the reason they are planted too close together and too close to the house is that these two 25' tall trees are actually camellia bushes. Don't know the spelling, but she was told they are the sak-sak variety. I highly recommend letting your camellias grow into trees. Just plant them an appropriate distance from the house if you plan to do so.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1634 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2014 :  07:13:05 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I did a search and they are both narcissus (sp?).
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2014 :  6:17:20 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Got another batch of dried out potted mums in the ground just in time for an extended gentle rain. My neighbor asked why I was planting dead flowers and I explained that although the top appears dead the roots are not and if they can get established before a cold snap they will be gorgeous for years to come. And besides, they are free, so if they live, wonderful--free landscaping. If they die, oh well...a bit of fun outdoors never hurt anyone.

The neighbors do wonder about me sometimes, I believe. But I believe that at the end of the ten-year plan my patience, diligence, and frugality will pay off!

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1634 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2014 :  5:00:58 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jnanne, I am sure it will be wonderful!!

My seedlings are doing great! I have 3 geraniums, marigolds, 1 outhouse hollyhock, loads of basil, green bouquet basil, 6 nasturtiums (annual),4 jalapenos, 2 yellow pear tomato, 5 purple cleome......
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2014 :  3:23:42 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
You have a different kind of patience than I. I don't have what it takes to stave off the critters while the seedlings live indoors. I'm afraid the cats would not let them live long enough to make it to the great outdoors--and there is no where in the house with the right temp and light where the cats don't have access to seedlings. They've even figured out how to get into the hanging plants that require a ladder to water. I'm already ready to move them back outdoors.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1634 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2014 :  11:56:39 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jnanne, if you had a room just for plants.... your kitty cats would find a way to get in the room and chew our plants. I do recall.

I wanted to share this info with you all. I finally bought a plant gro lite bulb and they do really work for seedlings!!!
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

Eau Claire, WI. 54703-1729
USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2014 :  1:15:00 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
You bet those grow lights work! We used two large 4' each with 2 light tubes in each with deflectors to grow all of our seedlings here in the basement. My son attached pulleys to each to change the height as the seedlings required more, or less light. He is getting anxious for spring to start this all over again. Weve been looking for, and he found a string bean that cans up better than the bush beans. He likes a crisp bean when canned, instead of the usual non-chewy ones. Also, to take the pain out of planting on his hands and knees, he found a new garden seeder. It marks the rows, plants the seed along with fertilizer, and covers them at the same time. Hes looking into investing in a potato picker also to pull behind the lawn tractor. He broke his back many years ago, and as a consequence bending over for extended periods becomes quite painful, so these new items should help a LOT.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1634 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2014 :  06:27:02 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Judy, there you are. I was wondering why you didn't post. I am glad you are back!!

I planted more seeds....more geraniums, annual and perennial hollyhocks, zinnias and cleome. I also have more mystery seeds. I found a piece of a hollyhock on the floor by the garbage and I have no idea which plant it is from so this summer I may find out.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2014 :  09:42:58 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
You dont know how much I envy you and Jnanne for living in warmer climates so you can be planting things. Im not into flowers like you gals, in fact, the only plant I had left after giving everything else away WAS my 37 yr old large leaf rhododendron. Last summer, I got tired of the amount of space it was taking up, and decided to kill it since none of the kids wanted it. McBarb, you mentioned you had planted several seedlings for christmas giving, how did that work for you? Did that turn out the way you intended? Reading what you and Jnanne are up to makes me anxious for spring to arrive here. My son ordered all our vegetable seeds yesterday, so thats a little sunshine in our otherwise cold winter days. The temp today is 9 degrees, but feels like -1. For the first time in 20 days we finally are seeing the sun today.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1634 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2015 :  08:13:24 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Judy, I am in zone 4. I did not do seeds for Christmas gifts..I got the flu and was sick in bed so I am doing seeds in January. They are doing ok. I got 11 outhouse hollyhocks but only 1 perennial. Yellow pear tomatoes are happy, zinnia seeds came up and some geraniums too. I will plant more in a week or so.

Judy when do you plant seeds for vegies? I thought you did in December last year..no?
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2015 :  11:41:58 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Funny you should ask as my son and I were just talking about that last night. We THOUGHT wed planted in February, and decided this year to start in March instead. The tomatoes we planted by seed last year grew so tall and looked like tall twigs when planted outside, Kurt decided to start later this season to avoid that, even though the plants filled out and were great producers. Weve decided to add a couple new veggies to the garden this year also. Baby sweet corn, broccoli, early cantaloupe,a new type of earlier string bean specifically for canning, cherry tomatoes,and two different tomatoes. theres probably more, but I forget-a drawback of aging! Kurt has worked this winter cutting down trees along the line fence that were preventing the sun hitting some of the plants, and plans to enlarge the garden quite a bit. That 150 plus quarts of pickles I did up last fall are down to 24 quarts now...and of course, he plans to plant MORE of that cucumber. He is going to have me canning until next Christmas Im afraid! I can only hope the pear tree doesnt produce this year, but that wont happen because last years crop didnt amount to a hill of beans, meaning this years will be a bumper crop.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1634 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2015 :  3:22:00 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have some nice peas growing in my kitchen...they outlived the mouthwash I poured in the pot..I thought it was plant food ....they are both blue colored. I will plant more peas and I want more peppers but I have to wait and see if more hollyhocks come up as I need the room by the plant gro light.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 39 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition о Copyright й All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums