Previous Page | Next Page

Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 39

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1666 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2015 :  4:29:20 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It is the email you used when you registered at Volition. A lot of people do not use that email anymore. It is no biggie.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

Eau Claire, WI. 54703-1729
USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2015 :  05:11:20 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
How weird, maybe its coming by camel. This isnt the first time someone has sent an email only for it to arrive days later for some strange reason. I verified my email address is correct too.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2015 :  05:35:43 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Little did we realize the lessons our parents were teaching us, right Jnanne? Im sure, you look back on a lot of the work you and your siblings had to do, just like a lot of us did, that you disliked getting stuck with, and sometimes were used as discipline if we misbehaved. How many children were in your family.
Its unfortunate your allergies prevent you from eating some of the veggies we all look forward to having fresh from the garden. Thank fully, the internet is full of information and recipes using alternative vegetables in recipes.Possibly youll find some new favorites.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3047 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2015 :  5:43:02 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
A total of ten kids spaced pretty far apart--I don't believe there were ever more than five living at home at one time.

Since all my allergies are latex-based, that includes a lot of plants. It is very good that I love cooking and love creating and experimenting. Here's a partial list of what I can no longer eat.

Oh--and medical personnel, especially in an emergency situation, do not like a patient with a dark sense of humor. Do not joke about having your eventual suicide planned out in case of a ghastly, painful, untreatable fatal illness (death by enjoying all the foods I miss). They will not get the humor at all and you risk being whisked away for scary evaluations that you have to talk very fast and very sincerely to avoid.

all tree nuts
drupes--all plants with a pit (cherries, peaches, plums, avacados, mangoes, olives--this includes olive oil, etc.)
all tropical fruits (kiwi, banana, pineapple, passion fruit, etc.)
all citrus (oranges, grapefruit, lemons, limes, pomegranate, etc.)
Poppies--opiates (not just poppy seeds, but Morphine, Demerol, and Codeine)
Basically all fruits except Pomes (apples, pears, and quince), berries, and melons
Nightshade (peppers, tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant)
Celery--as far as I know this does not contain latex, but I'm still allergic to it--my allergist says if I believe it is hot and spicy like jalapenos I should never eat it again.

and other plants I have to avoid:
mums, marigolds, and others in that family--used to make pyrethrins and permethrins, the most popular insecticides used in the USA. Shasta Daisies are my favorites, but I can only look at them from afar. Smelling them for very long interferes with breathing now-a-days. I do have mums in the front yard, but I never really spend time out there. If they become a problem I'll put them on Craig's List--free to anyone who will dig them out.
Rubber tree--used for tires, latex gloves, elastic, and "over 40,000 household products" according to the very first research journal article I ever read when beginning my research into the latex allergy in the 1990's when I was first diagnosed.
Gum Tree--used in making chewing gum

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2015 :  06:41:28 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Thats quite a list. I better understand now your need for natural ways to eliminate pests that invade your garden. Have you had these allergies long, or were you doctored for symptoms without any relief before finding the culprit?
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3047 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2015 :  6:37:29 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Latex allergy is what is known as a cumulative allergy--the more you are exposed the worse the reaction and the more sensitive you become. It was first recognized nationally in the early 90's in the US and France was the first country to actually study the problem. When I was diagnosed in 1992 (I think) there was very little research available in the English language, and I don't speak or read French. I used the medline computer at the U of I college of medicine for research, as personal computers were not yet popular.

At that time latex allergies were most common in health care workers, folk who have spent a lifetime working around latex medical supplies, and people with spina bifada, a group of folk who have frequent and multiple surgeries starting at a very young age and are therefore exposed to lots of latex medical supplies and equipment. I expect that folk who work at tire factories and other industries that expose them to latex daily are also at high risk for developing this allergy.

I've had 27 surgeries to date. For roughly half of them I had trouble waking up afterward. What should have been about 20 minutes in post-op ended up being 5-24 hours before regaining consciousness. For so many years they blamed it on the anesthesia, and every time they tried something different--but it never made a difference. I still didn't awaken as I should have, I still was physically sick for about two weeks: bloated, dizzy, disoriented, and queasy. Recovery was always very difficult.

However, once they stopped poisoning me with latex tubing for the fluids in the IV, latex tubing for the ventilator, latex gloves, latex syringes, latex sponges, and who knows what else I now recover just like anyone else. Outpatient surgery is finally really outpatient. It's been years since I have awakened in ICU.

The latex also prevented me from being 100% under, so although I was not able to feel pain during the surgery, I could hear everything. Doctors don't like you to repeat their OR conversations back to them the next day. They especially don't like it when they swear you are lying about the fact you can hear them and call them on it word for word, along with the racy joke they wish they hadn't told.

So, many of the items on the list I discovered I couldn't tolerate accidentally. Pyrethrins because of treating the house for fleas and ending up in ICU. Many foods I could eat when I was young, but developed problems with them gradually. It wasn't until the latex allergy was diagnosed and confirmed that we began to put them all together and discovered the everything I am allergic to, with the exception of celery and lanolin, is related to latex.

But losing tomatoes, peppers, and potatoes is a big blow--to my taste buds, to my cooking, and to my gardening. However, I firmly believe that we can either whine about the bad or rejoice in the good. I'd rather have fun experimenting with new recipes and enjoying what I can than miss out on all the fun because I am too busy glaring at the bad news! I plan to go out as Pollyanna--or with a grapefruit in one hand and an heirloom tomato in the other!

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1666 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2015 :  08:49:07 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I emailed Burpee customer service cuz I do want more hollyhocks but cannot grow them. They said to soak the seeds and plant them..... it may take 2 - 3 weeks to germinate. That is why they did not grow as I waited 2 weeks and used the dirt again for something else.... that is why I had so many mystery hollyhocks pop up in pots with other plants!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3047 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2015 :  4:49:00 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Good to know your Burpee hollyhocks did indeed thrive, despite their rough start moving from single tenancy to sharing a dorm room with strangers assigned by the administration!

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1666 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2015 :  6:21:32 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jnanne, so well put!!~
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1666 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2015 :  05:04:29 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Well well, I see 1 Burpee's spring celebrity hollyhock sprouted.....that one will be (if it grows) red, apricot pink or white. I also see 1 Burpee's bride hollyhock which will be (if it grows) "crystal white double blooms." Burpee will replace the seeds I had trouble with (all of their hollyhocks seeds are trouble for me...) but I do not want their seeds for hollyhocks... maybe they can send me geranium seeds. I can grow them easily!! Thank goodness I discovered Hart seeds and their hollyhocks already grew a long time ago with NO problem at all. I have the "outhouse" variety and those plants have 4 leaves on each plant already so I will buy those seeds from now on...so much less trouble growing them. I had a gorgeous pink one last summer and everyone loved it. The year before I had a white one........ so this year I planted quite a few and plan to plant a few more.

My oregano seeds sprouted up and boy are they healthy little ones!! I got 3 Burpee "best mix" marigolds, 1 beefsteak tomato (plantation seeds from DG) and 2 cherry tomatoes sprouted (DG seeds also).

Jnanne, can you eat spaghetti squash? It sounds versatile. I am growing to try some.... even tho it takes 100 days.

Judy, how is your son's seeds so far and what is he growing this year??
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3047 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2015 :  4:14:18 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
All squash are fine--and luckily I love them all. Patty pan and acorn are my favorites. My husband prefers summer varieties to any of the winter ones: zucchini and yellow crooked neck are his favorites. Both are pretty darn easy to grow. Toss a few seeds over your shoulder, blink your eyes, harvest, ring neighborhood doorbells, and run.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2015 :  1:40:55 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
EVERY single pod has sprung up. The jalapeno and cherry tomato plants are the tallest. Kurt will be starting a good many seeds in the coming weeks. Now hes talking about tilling part of the backyard up. I cant believe it! Hes worked so hard to get the lawn looking like a golf course, and now talks about planting strawberries across the backyard. He ordered 80 plants that the berries are supposed to get as big as peaches, and sweet.

Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2015 :  1:51:26 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jnanne, you have to be one lucky lady to have a husband that enjoys eating a variety of foods, and sounds considerate to your allergies. I had to look up crooked neck squash as Id never heard of it. As creative as you are cooking, Im sure youll find a ton of excellent new recipes to add the squash to. I dont know what happened to my son, but he has become a VERY picky eater! My gosh, he used to eat anything that didnt get up and crawl off the plate, but those days are long gone! I cant even try any new recipes without him telling me to not make it again. But. if it was junk food or desserts then he cant get enough!
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3047 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2015 :  10:34:36 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I realize I am very lucky. I have my dream husband and my miracle child. What more could I possible get? Life couldn't get more wonderful!!!!

Add some molasses, brown sugar, cinnamon, and/or pecans to just about any squash and call it dessert. In fact, do that with most root veggies, too. They'll never know what wonderful nutrition they are getting!

Grandma used to serve "candied" carrots, yams, turnips, parsnips, acorn squash, etc. Each dish was wonderful. It was years before I realized what she was doing!

Of course, she also believed in cooking things in bacon grease for the very same reason. It's a wonder we didn't all have clogged arteries by the time we were seven.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2015 :  06:44:57 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I cant imagine eating squash or carrots any other way! Plus, I save my bacon drippings to make fried potatoes, or add to bean soup for extra flavor. I also use home rendered lard to make my pie crusts, in favorite made from scratch cakes, and donuts, because it adds so much to the taste.Since dieticians cant make up their minds as to which foods are good for us, or arent good for us, I choose to eat as I want. Perhaps SOMEDAY Ill pay for it, but that time better come soon, as Im not getting any younger.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1666 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2015 :  04:16:57 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Judy, if you have chipmunks in the area where the strawberries should be you might get a few berries>>> but I guarantee the chipmunks will eat the rest. You have been warned.

I had a cherry tomato plant that grew taller than me...it was about 7 feet tall.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2015 :  06:51:11 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the warning, Ill pass that info on to Kurt. Being farm land there definitely is that possibility.
I wasnt aware cherry tomatoes grew that large, but then again, with all the hybrids available anything is possible.
Were supposed to begin a warm up starting tomorrow. This morning the temp is 2 degrees, with windchill of minus 16 degrees. Tomorrow-in the 30's and next week theyre predicting 40's and 50's! Hope spring is on its way. Kurt says he has a lot of veggies he can plant before the soil warms up and hopes to get started. Maybe this year well have ripened cantaloupe!
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1666 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2015 :  05:08:09 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Judy, the cherry tomatoes I grew that tall were Burpee...not hybrids. The way you may be able to get rid of the chipmunks is using rat traps... sorry to say but they are rodents. Cute yes, but NOT in the garden. They will take one bite of every bean in the row which ruins them. They also ate tomatoes the same way..crawled up an organic cherry tomato plant I had and ate them ...so of course I had to throw the tomatoes away. Chipmunks also ate peppers, jalapenos and sweet.

Chipmunks>>>>>>>>>>>>
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2015 :  11:15:40 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Getting rid of chipmunks and moles Kurt can do without traps. He got his hands on some kind of stuff he says works great from a friend in the business to rid rodents. Since the main garden is in the country, it would take a lot of traps, also.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1666 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2015 :  04:48:54 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
You can share that info right?? lol.....my firend and myself both have troubles with the little rats. What is this stuff? Is it chemically ok to have around plants?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 39  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums