Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 39

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1634 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2015 :  10:46:20 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I sort of skimmed thru the posts as I haven't been around much. I am trying to keep up...

Judy, you will love potatoes!! I was visiting with my friend after work and she asked me how my potatoes are growing. I told her they died. She said I had to dig them up, Boy was I pleasantly surprised. Homegrown potatoes are sooooo good. Judy, what kind of potatoes are you growing?
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1634 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2015 :  10:50:59 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I sent a PM to Heather P ....maybe she wants to join us.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

Eau Claire, WI. 54703-1729
USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2015 :  2:12:26 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
You talk about potatoesMcBarb, Kurt took some of the remaining potatoes from winter storage, and just threw them out in a pile of clipped grass, and theyve grown.Otherwise,our new potatoes in the garden are doing great, weve put in 4 varieties, Kennebec, Superiors, Reds, and Russet. The Superior, is new to us this year, but is known to be a fantastic potato for making chips and french fries, but also used as a baking and mashed potato.The potatoes are all up and hilled, with some being the early variety, Weve got our eye on a used commercial freezer to put all the frozen veggies and fruits in. It is huge! The strawberry plants are growing very nicely, sure hope we get some yet this year, as a good many people that have this variety state we should. All the tomatoes, green pepper, jalapenos, cauliflower, broccoli, cucumber,3 varieties of radishes are planted,baby corn, sweet corn,string beans specifically grown to can as theyll stay crisp,will be going in soon. The melons (honey Dew/cantaloupe) plants are in the ground,also.There is so many veggies growing I cant remember them all offhand.Of course. The apple and pear trees are loaded with flowers wouldnt you know, so Im NOT getting out of canning them this year. This is going to be one very interesting canning season!Im hoping I can get my son from up north to come down and help if it gets to be too much for me.
Jnanne, Ive never heard of a weeping peach tree, does it grow edible fruit, or is it a decorative tree? Peaches are one fruit in particular I wish I could get my hands on to can! Especially, Georgia peaches! Kurt is looking online to see if there are growers posted. Possibly we could get a bushel shipped overnight up here when theyre ready. Weve had a pretty cool, windy, rainy week of weather up here, which I imagine is all because of the storms/tornadoes down south.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2015 :  2:15:44 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
McBarb, good that you invited someone to join us. Its always nice to hear what others are experiencing, and any tips they can furnish us.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1634 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2015 :  05:18:11 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I haven't seen her post here since March. I sent her a PM but no reply.

Judy, please send me some potatoes!! lol
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2015 :  07:00:13 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
McBarb, homegrown are so much better than those purchased at the store, arent they? You could grow potatoes very easily in the house, all you need is a single potato that has started to sprout. Use a larger planter and bury a part of the potato that at least has one eye that has grown into a white root. From your previous post, it sounds as though you did this, but didnt realize once the plant appeared above ground you needed to cover it up, or as they call it "hill it". From then on nature takes its course and produces several potatoes which takes weeks to grow depending on the variety planted. The article I referred to in one of the last postings explained how to grow a variety of veggies in the house, using vegetables purchased at the farmers markets. VERY interesting reading, and tempting to try, that I would think someone like you who likes to experiment, and doesnt have the outside space for a garden. Im really looking forward to trying the new Superior potato we planted. We are already very happy with the Kennebec potato because it makes fantastic crispy exterior french fries. The superior potato is supposed to produce excellent french fries, homemade potato chips, creamy mashed potatoes, and excellent baked. All in all, that means fewer potato varieties to be planted in the garden. The kids Father quit planting a garden since weve put in enough veggies to keep the whole family supplied. When canning, I can enough for everyone, as the kids Fathers wife doesnt like to can. Kurt did say this year he wants only two varieties of pickles canned (crispy dill and crispy Russian, but Im making that three, because some really like the bread and butter pickles also. Im not a big pickle eater but like to make things to share.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1634 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2015 :  4:28:37 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I potted jalapenos, roma tomatoes and transplanted cleome and a geranium I started 8/14. I planted 2 Tasti-lee hybrid tomatoes and 2 candy apple pepps and 2 sun gold tomatoes from Burpee...FREE. SWEET!!~
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1634 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2015 :  4:38:27 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
An update on the garden so far for me... 3 marigolds, 5 geraniums, 3 white hollyhocks, 2 whatever color hollyhocks, 2 pink perennial hollyhocks, roma (plum style) tomatoes, hungarian wax pepps, sweet pepps, sweet hybrid mix pepps (green yellow, red, orange and purple all on 1 plant), 2 cubanelle pepps, cherry tomatoes, Cherokee purple tomatoes, yellow pear tomatoes, 10 morning glories and a few coleus. I will plant more seeds for white allysum, impatiens and celosia. I can plant sunflowers outside and zinnias outside. After many failures with seeds thgis spring I have a good start!!! It has been a lot of work.

I cut back my red geranium and it is growing back. So cute little leaves all over. Burpee walked me thru the process. Now I need to repot.

I was going to plant morning glory seeds around the trees on the property where I rent, but I see it will be about 30 tonight so it is good I did not.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1634 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2015 :  4:51:22 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I forgot to say >>> Burpee has a "write a review" for their products. You register with email & user name, then go to the product of what you want to write a review for. Scroll down under the picture and description where it says "Write a review." You have to rate the product by stars...5 stars being the best.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2015 :  5:33:34 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
A weeping peach is just decorative--it produces very small and inedible fruit--but the deep pink blossoms are absolutely gorgeous.

I'm ready to hit all the garage sales and church rummage sales looking for plants folk have dug out of their yards. It is amazing the wonderful perennials I have found that way--at prices I can afford.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1634 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2015 :  07:59:55 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jnanne, great idea for free pots too.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1634 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2015 :  1:13:27 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I did a search for homemade pots.
http://www.woohome.com/diy-2/top-30-stunning-low-budget-diy-garden-pots-and-containers
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1634 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2015 :  1:31:59 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
again
http://www.topdreamer.com/diy-turn-old-things-into-beautiful-flower-pots-and-planters/
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2015 :  11:55:33 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jananne, I also see many local churches put on a farmers market of sort by members of the church to sell, or trade plants to the public. You can save a lot and gather lots of plants, but most likely not as cheap as at a garage sale. Theres always someone separating plants and wants to share. Good for you.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2015 :  1:55:48 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Retailers have me so confused. I was just at Lowe's--buying clearance plants, of course, and saw a big dumpster overflowing with similar plants--mostly perennials: roses, day lilies, tiger lilies, Asiatic lilies, coreopsis, African daisies, gerbera daisies, etc.

I asked the manager about them. They are throwing them out. I volunteered to buy some of them and he said no, he's not allowed to sell anything once it has gone into the dumpster. All those wonderful bulbs (and other plants) just to be tossed in the landfill! The waste!! It hurts!!

I wonder whether it is legal to dumpster dive in this community--I sure do want to go back over there tonight to see if they move that unit out into the parking lot where the other dumpsters are!

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1634 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2015 :  2:13:25 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The only thing about getting plants from another source is bugs. You need to be very careful you are not bringing in plants that are infested with something.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2015 :  09:49:21 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jnanne, I hope you did go back late that night. Most likely the plants were not selling, and if got a look and saw bulbs, they were most likely sprouting like crazy, or getting too late in the season to flower. I know I wouldnt be afraid to go get them. Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2015 :  2:52:13 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My husband was appalled at the thought of me dumpster diving. We have company for the holiday weekend and I decided it wasn't worth the trouble, no matter how much I hate seeing perfectly wonderful bulbs wasted. Better to pay attention to the family members who are in town and whom I see rarely.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1634 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2015 :  09:28:06 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
too funny!! dumpster diving??

I did a search for free flowers, seeds or bulbs and found quite a few. You might want to try that instead of dumpster diving.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2015 :  2:32:09 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
But where's the fun and excitement in that?

Actually, free perennials are fun and exciting however they are acquired! Thanks for the tip.

And, since I just found two bags of bulbs--crocus and anemone that I forgot I had purchased (probably at clearance prices after season) and haven't yet planted, I can almost convince myself that I already have 40 free plants!

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 39 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums