Previous Page | Next Page

Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 39

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1645 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2015 :  3:20:49 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I was really surprised when I did the search. There are so many freebies in the way of bulbs, seeds and plants. WOW...

Judy, did you see what I posted about "write a review" for Burpee products? I did. Haven't gotten to do the hollyhocks yet. hehehe I had plum tomato seeds from 2002 and 14 came up. I planted 14 seeds.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

Eau Claire, WI. 54703-1729
USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2015 :  06:56:39 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
McBarb yes, I did notice your reference to the reviews at Burpee, and had already given mine for some of the plants/seed we received.We found seed packages purchased at our local stores to contain many broken, compared to Burpee's that were larger, and intact.
The strawberry plants have grown like weeds, and all are in full bloom now. Kurt will be laying straw down once the blossoms fall. Its hard to believe that these plants are June bearing, considering the fruit is supposed to be peach size. Thats a LOT of growing to be done in a short time.
Just a thought Jnanne regarding those discarded bulbs you saw at Lowes. Once the store inventories and requests refund from the provider, the quantity is removed from the stores system which makes it impossible to resell when they dont have the item in the system any longer. It would be illegal to sell as theyve already applied for a refund. On the other hand, if you chose to do after hours dumpster diving, depending on IF your city has an ordinance regarding such, the store has no control over your taking it. Im sure your city also has low income and homeless people who go through dumpsters, so how does law enforcement stop them if they dont see them doing it? At one time, when merchandising work was hard to get, I worked at a vending company that made sandwiches, soups and other food items for local vending machines located in local businesses. There were many food items that didnt sell, and were returned by the drivers nightly due to expiration dates nearing, untouched, still sealed, and safe to eat. Some of the employees returned after hours and helped themselves without getting caught. The company eventually got wind of it, and tried to destroy the goods to stop it. Many department stores also were guilty at one time of throwing clothing items that were returned for having minor tears or didnt sell into their onsite dumpsters. Then companies ordered merchandisers to destroy every item they found, rendering it unusable before discarding in dumpsters. Thankfully, the time came when some companies allowed those items to be donated to various organizations serving the homeless and low income for resale.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1645 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2015 :  07:00:41 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Good morning guys, I am sitting here having my coffee and noticed that there was no posts on this thread since 2005 then we all started blabbing. Now we have completed 19 pages.....SO let's keep on talking!!
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2015 :  1:45:30 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Ive noticed that too, and the people who originally posted, dont any longer sadly.
I mentioned in and earlier post that I was going to check on Georgia peaches to be shipped to the house to home can. Well, I was absolutely shocked, peaches are comparable to gold prices. $100 for a half bushel ($60 + $40 shipping). I see our local grocer has peaches on sale for $1.98 (reg.$3.99) a pound this week, so Im going to pick up several pounds to can, and each time I see them on sale again, IF that happens. WI/MN/IO have all been hit hard with Avian bird flu, so the prices for chicken, turkey, and eggs will be going sky-hi. I bought 6 dozen eggs and froze them in snack baggies of 1-2-3-8 depending on what I need them for. Cakes take 2 eggs, scrambled eggs takes 8 for us). Walmart had whole chickens on sale for $.99 pound so I picked up 12 to freeze/can. I noticed in todays grocery flier chicken is now at $5 a pound! Almost as expensive as beef. Where is this all going to end?
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1645 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2015 :  7:11:47 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Judy, the last post before I started posting was 2005. I invited 2 people and no one posts but Jnanne, you and I. Maybe they are dumpster diving. hehe
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1645 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2015 :  1:22:52 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just paid $1.49 a pound for chicken breast. I would never pay $5 a pound for chicken. I have a lot of chicken in my freezer at the moment... a lot of frozen leftover roast turkey too. I can use that up which will last along time. I haven't noticed chicken prices going up or eggs but I haven't looked either.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1645 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2015 :  1:27:30 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I saw peaches for $.99 a pound, split chickens $1.49 a lb. and eggland's best eggs are $2.99 for 18 pack. So prices aren't going up yet. Maybe just in those places....
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1645 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2015 :  3:09:24 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hey, look we are all Star contributors here at Volition.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3047 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2015 :  5:30:58 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I don't know where all the Volition posters have gone, either. Seems the mystery shopping threads turn over regularly, but not so much any other categories.

I've been watching the poultry prices, too. So far they haven't changed much around here. If they do, though, we just may increase the number of vegetarian meals we eat--or the number of stir-fries and similar dishes that use a smaller amount of meat to feed the family. We'll all end up healthier in the long-run, anyway, right!?

And there are always the wonderful veggies and fruits we grow or find at the Farmer's Market, too. (just to pretend we are on topic!)

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1645 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2015 :  06:26:09 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My plants are doing great! I have 14 plum tomatoes, 1 tasti lee hybrid tomato, 2 sun gold tomatoes, 6 cherry tomatoes, lots of white pansies , 2 outhouse hollyhocks, 5 geraniums, white and purple allysum, 1 cubanelle pepper, 4 sweet hybrid mix peppers, 4 jalapeno peppers, 2 yellow pear tomatoes, 1 sweet pepper, 2 hungarian wax pepper, 12 morning glories, 2 white impatiens, 9 marigolds, 10 celosias of various colors,and a tray of coleus. All from seed.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2015 :  06:55:48 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Peaches for 99 cent a pound! Now thats a steal, wish I lived by you. I purchased 12# of the on sale peaches, and they should be ready to can tomorrow. these peaches are from California,explains the high prices, doesnt it?
We really like stir fry, but I have only one recipe using chicken that my son will eat. The sauce is made using Miracle Whip salad dressing. I dont know if the brand is available in your area, but any brand of whipped dressing will work. The recipe is available if interested at www.kraftfoods.com Very easy to make and delicious.
Well, the strawberry plants now have thumb sized berries growing. Blink of the eyes and theyre growing fast. Everything in the garden is up with the sweet corn now 6" tall. Cherry tomato plants are about 2' tall with flowers all over each. The potatoes that Kurt threw in the pile of grass clippings are huge! It will be interesting to see how they produce.
Time for me to put the second coat of paint on the new back door, and then start staining the new windows in the dining area, so I can get a bit closer to painting the room once the job is done. Then Im betting Kurt will want me to make curtains and valances, just to keep me busy, you know. SOMETIMES, I feel like Im still the owner, instead of live in housekeeper.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1645 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2015 :  5:00:32 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Drat, I heard my neighbors talking outside about my plants last year. They were stealing vegies and cuttings from my flowers. I plan to put the pots with flowers, peppers and tomatoes outside when I am home, then bring them upstairs and put them in my kitchen at night. AHAH!! So there!~
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2015 :  07:19:22 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I dont care what we own nothing is safe left outside, unlocked,or unattended, as youve found out from having a few plants. If the opportunity arises to take something from another unnoticed they want, theyll take advantage of it, no matter how small, inexpensive, or challenging to steal. Some people are too lazy to plant their own, or too cheap to go buy it themselves. Sorry to hear you became a victim.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1645 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2015 :  07:55:58 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It has already started. I put my cleome (spider plant) downstairs on top of the raised bed garden I had last year and the neighbor asked me what it was. I told her I did not know for sure. She said she picked it up as it fell over. It did not fall over at all but she tore a piece off of it so I put it in my car last night. If she goes in my car I will call the cops on her.
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2015 :  1:01:55 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I used to worry about the kids in the neighborhood stealing all my plums. The tree was in my front yard. That tree is gone and now I just watch all the little squirrels steal my peaches. Our neighborhood is filled with squirrels. Most of them are very tiny. My peaches never got very big because of the rain and it was so funny to watch the squirrels running with peaches in their mouths the size of their own heads.

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Happily shopping the Houston, TX area.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1645 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2015 :  3:11:12 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
JuanitaJ, I am sooo glad you joined us here!! So JuanitaJ, do you have a garden. You can grow big things in Texas...no? Can I address you as JJ? It is easier to type than JuanitaJ.

Yes, I can imagine squirrels with peaches. I saw a blue jay with a peanut. I wonder how they eat peanuts??
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2015 :  06:34:46 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Welcome JJ. Its nice to have anothers experience, and hopefully you too will offer your two cents worth regarding some of the problems/accomplishments we experience in gardening. While the internet provides tons of information, personal experience is more helpful in many instances.
Well ladies, I just finished up staining and polyurethaning 16 windows for the dining area. Plus, gave the room a new paint job.The job is done! I couldnt believe I was able to climb up, and down that darn ladder without suffering leg and foot pain this time! Ive avoided painting for the past several years because of it.Im now going to tackle the kitchen. A nice way to sneak into possible advice for JJ. Try adding a Magnesium vitamin to your diet. I hate taking pills of any type, until it became painful to walk, or do simple things requiring walking,knelling and stretching.My son advised me to try Magnesium, which I tried for a couple of weeks just to satisfy him. Im AMAZED at the change. Now, Ive been taking daily vitamins along with a few other vitamins to address other minor ailments with great success. Upon looking up on the internet vitamin deficiency and leg cramps,I decided to look further into more aches and pains I had, only to find that missing certain vitamins in our diets cause a lot of our ailments. Just my two cents worth. Doctors are great at giving us prescriptions, but taking a vitamin is actually going to the cause of the problem, not just treating the symptom as meds do. Hence, Im able to do things now I havent done in years due to leg, foot, and back pain.
The strawberries are getting huge! Some almost golf ball size, and turning white now, and still have a ways to grow yet. Everything at the garden at the farm has gotten tall,bushy and looking good, and were getting huge radishes to eat now. Canning time is getting closer!

Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2015 :  10:35:57 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Im sorry to hear youre having so many problems, and hope all goes better for you. It sounds like youve had your plate full of pain.Good luck at the doctor. Its not any fun getting older thats for sure. Since my starting to take vitamins I cant believe the difference in my ability to now do things I gave up due to pain, lack of ambition and always being tired.Half of it I believe was caused by shear boredom, and the other, deficient in needed vitamins, or due to aging. Ive been very lucky otherwise, no health problems requiring medications.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1645 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2015 :  06:05:19 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I started having sleep problems in 2007. My Dr. will not do anything for me. I am tired all the time too. I plan to leave my peppers and tomatoes inside in my living room. They do not get as much sun as being outdoors but this way I do not have to carry the plants up and down the stairs. I have buds on my cubanelle pepper plant. It has been in my room since April. YAY!!
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2015 :  11:00:04 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
McBarb, have you tried taking Melatonin (available over the counter) to help you sleep? When taken, you dont wake up all groggy like you do when taking sleeping pills. Did your doctor check your iron? If the count is too low, that will make you feel tired all the time. I take an iron pill once a week not knowing what my blood count is, and I feel more energized. I started taking vitamins only because I found online somany of my petty ailments are due to deficiencies in vitamins. Like many of us, we dont eat 3 balanced meals a day that supply all that we need to keep our body running smoothly. Just adding a one-a- day vitamin made a difference. Hey, now Im a doctor..lol
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 39  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums