Previous Page | Next Page

Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 39

JudyK
Star Contributor

Eau Claire, WI. 54703-1729
USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2015 :  11:12:48 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I think were going to lose our potatoes and tomatoes! Yesterday, I noticed the leaves on the few plants we have here at the house looking like something ate them and left narrow strips. Then last night we took a run out to the farm to water the garden, and noticed a lot of the plants there looking the same. Upon doing an online search we think its wilt, and one of the causes is planting them in the same place in the garden the next year, which Kurt did. There are so many things to learn growing a garden were finding out! On the upside though, there are strawberries ripening, and so far none are looking to get huge like peaches, but theyre still good sized. Of course, these wont make it in the house with Kurt around. The cherry tomato plants have got tomatoes about the size of the end of a thumb, and lots of them. McBarb, as long as youve had to bring your tomatoes and peppers indoors have you considered putting them under your grow light? I dont know if its needed, but might work if youre concerned.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1645 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2015 :  11:32:30 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Judy, can you move some of the plants into pots or fresh dirt? Wow, talk about a learning experience. It may be something else. Can you take a picture and ask Burpee??

Judy, yes I did just that one night. I took all the plants and put them under the gro lite bulb. I may take everything outside when it is sunny but just tomatoes. Peppers are doing great right where they are. It rains so much this summer, tomatoes are losing leaves every day...not enough sun. I have some very healthy tomato plants but most are dwindling.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3047 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2015 :  6:09:51 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Judy, crop rotation is just as important in a garden as it is for a regular farm crop. It may not be too late for the tomatoes if you plant carrots in between them. Don't count on eating the carrots (although you may get a few), but use them to add nutrients to the soil. Carrots leave behind nutrients that tomatoes need, and likewise, tomatoes nourish carrots. It is a bit late in the season for this, but it only costs the smidgen of money needed to buy the carrot seed, so it may be worth trying.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2015 :  09:42:46 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jnanne, I cant thank you enough for the information. I WILL tell Kurt as soon as he comes home for lunch, possibly he can go out to the farm yet tonight after work and do this. Wish we could save the potatoes!
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1645 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2015 :  2:15:23 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I will keep my fingers crossed Judy!!
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2015 :  4:58:27 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Thanks McBarb. Now I find out the radishes have earwigs! Kurt picked radishes the other night, and just like last years crop, a good many have signs of worms eating at them. Kurt looked it up on the internet, and its earwigs. He ordered some Sluggo Plus granules hell be putting on the vegetables the darn bug likes, along with the apple, and pear trees tomorrow since were expecting MORE rain. Speaking of which, this seasons rain has been really strange in comparison to other years. Theyve been just real soft, light, soaking rains, that run all day long with minute amounts in just the hundredths.
Kurt was able to sample his strawberries today, acted like a little kid. Oh, and he ordered 80 more plants of the everbearing variety this time that will bear 3x a summer, along with more blueberry plants, these getting 4' tall.
By the way Jnanne, when I told Kurt about planting carrots, and the cause being rotation, he said he had planted the veggies on the opposite side of the garden. The sweet corn and baby sweet corn are knee high already, which is ahead of the ideal height by July 4th.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1645 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2015 :  06:30:07 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Judy, you may want to try cups of vegetable oil for the earwigs. They will crawl in and die. Sluggo Plus is toxic to humans so be careful where you put it. I put yogurt cups with vegetable oil and the bugs (of all kinds) crawled in. It is disgusting to look at with all the dead bugs... but you can throw the cups away when they are full. Please try it.....
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2015 :  5:34:48 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Too late McBarb, Kurt already treated the garden. Placement of cups in a garden the size this one is would not have worked, although, a much better solution. IF the garden survives this season, Kurt will have to treat the whole thing once everything is pulled. Had I known this problem prior to treatment Id have tried to talk Kurt out of using it. All I knew was that he purchased it, the name, and was going to treat the vegetables affected.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1645 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2015 :  05:31:12 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Judy,

the search did say it was toxic to humans but the product is labeled for organic gardening. I read an article that says the main ingredient is iron phosphate. That is also in the Whitney Farms stuff I used that cost $23 a bag. The problem with Sluggo Plus is that it also has EDTA. Who knows Judy what EDTA is. Good luck with your stuff. Keep us posted.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2015 :  11:10:39 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Since you posted this info, I was curious and did a search in google to find out. It stated that iron phosphate isnt toxic alone, but adding EDTA makes iron phosphate toxic, and because our government is in charge of labeling ingredients, and chooses not to recognize EDTA as dangerous, companies are not required to report it on their labels. Ill have to warn Kurt about letting the dog run loose in the garden area where he spread this chemical, as dogs are attracted to the wheat in the chemical and may be attracted to it and eat it and cause , I believe, lead poisoning. Kurt would be devastated if something were to happen to his dog.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1645 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2015 :  7:00:28 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Oh my, Judy...I am soooo glad you read that!!
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1645 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2015 :  10:00:28 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Judy, maybe you should contact Burpee and send them pics of the plants. Then, test the soil before you treat it. If you are not sure of the problem, you may be making it worse or treating it with something you do not need. Just a suggestion!!
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2015 :  1:52:32 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
No need to contact Burpee. My son is hopping mad, and said he wont order another thing from them. The order he placed for 80 strawberry plants and blueberry plants came Tuesday.. minus the strawberry plants! All that was included was a note to say they were out of stock and his account would be credited the amount in 7 days. He wrote them an email and let them no the very least they could have done was to email letting him know the plants were OOS. Weve enjoyed a few good meals of strawberry shortcake.Yum! The patch is going crazy now.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1645 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2015 :  6:02:05 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Judy, Burpee is prolly very busy now and I am not surprised they ran out of strawberry plants. Can you get them someplace else? I don't see why not.

I went away for 4 days, watered all of my plants and took them out of the sun. The only ones that were dry were in the kitchen on the counter. I watered everything when I got home and they are happy I am home! Me too.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1645 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2015 :  11:24:54 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Judy, how are your potatoes and tomatoes doing? Did you plant carrots and is it the soil?
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2015 :  06:59:24 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Thanks for asking. Kurt transplanted all the tomato plants to another area of the garden, and theyre doing a great job at coming back. Theyve grown quite a bit. Last fall, Kurt made 25, 8' tall very sturdy heavy aluminum tomato cages. Some of the plants are already at 5.5' tall and heavily loaded with tomatoes. The cherry tomato plants are a good 3'tall and loaded to the point branches are breaking off from the weight, even though theyre caged. Potatoes are doing good. Radishes fantastic since he used that chemical, but now he is bothered by ants eating at some of them. We'll be picking string beans late this afternoon, so that means canning yet tonight. Cucumbers are finger length now. I just hope Ill get the beans done before theyre ready to make pickles. Sweet corn is 6'tall and tousled out. Weve been eating strawberries every night, not as big as promised, but this is their first season in the ground. How are your veggies doing youve planted? Do you still have some things under the grow light?
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1645 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2015 :  07:44:06 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Good going Judy. My plants are doing ok. I do not put them under the gro light cuz it has been too hot for me. Peppers have buds on them. Tomatoes...not so much.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2015 :  1:13:14 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
When is your growing season? Here in WI its planting in last week of May, with harvesting for some veggies in early July and full blown by end of August ending in Sept. Weve gotten a few green peppers from the garden. Im not going to touch a single green pepper this year as Ive still got more than plenty in the freezer to use. I vacuum sealed them into 1 cup diced up, to 6 whole in vacuum sealed separated compartments. Ive vowed I will not make a single batch of salsa this year, as not one single jar came upstairs all winter. My friends, neighbors, along with men Kurt works with were thrilled to get it though. Even the UPS driver got several jars. I think Kurt got his fill the winter of 2013, as he was eating a jar each evening. I also gave the last few pints of Bread and Butter pickles away, along with 12 quarts of Russian pickles. NOT making them either this yr. Im not a big pickle eater, and only made the Bread and Butter pickles to give away. The Russians are a sweet pickle with a bit of a bang at the end from the jalapeno.Theyre a soft pickle, taste excellent, but the Crispy Dill is preferred. I cant believe we went through almost all of that 150 plus jars of pickles ourselves, minus the give aways. A friend of mine volunteers at a food pantry, and asked if Id like a box of peaches. A good many were bruised, some badly, but I managed to put up 12 pints of chunk cuts. She said shed keep her eye out for more. I dont care if theyre chunks it doesnt affect the taste.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1645 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2015 :  05:38:35 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I wonder where Jnanne is? Maybe on vacation.
My peppers are going to flower soon....they are in my room and the living room. I am psyched. I can put the tomato plants out in the sun when I am home. The weather has been better as it does not rain every day now and the sun comes out.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2015 :  12:10:06 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Ive been wondering the same thing. She must be keeping herself really busy, as usual.
The weather here has been quite nice, for a change. We really need this short stint of heat to get the string beans going. Today is the low 80's, but the weekend and thru tuesday is supposed to be in the high 80-low 90's with very humid cond. And of course, the beans will be ready to pick on sunday, when the heat and humidity is to be the worst.
Glad to hear your pepper plant is doing well. How tall is your tomato plant(s)? Is it tall enough to have flowers yet?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 39  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums