Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 39

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1634 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2015 :  1:19:57 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I put the pepps out in the sun today to show my neighbors and brought them right back upstairs. I will take all of the plants (hollyhocks, tomatoes, peppers and morning glories) downstairs tomorrow. It is supposed to be sunny.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

Eau Claire, WI. 54703-1729
USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2015 :  5:45:09 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Sure hope you realize a huge difference in how you feel. Many people who've had to wear the mask type got fed up because they cant sleep on their side without the mask moving away from their faces. My next door neighbor had the mask type and he finally put away, as did my former son in law. Hope whatever you get works well for you. You were smart to let the Dr know the mask may not work for you.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2015 :  5:53:17 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
The string beans are growing like weeds now. I canned up 30 qts today. Thankfully, they were all uniform in size and length, it was so much easier to do them up. I always leave them whole in the jar, and these came right up to the bottom of the fill line under the neck of the jar. This new bean developed by the UW-Madison, WI is a very nice bean. It stays relatively crunchie after being processed. Jalapenos were picked, so now Ive got to run to the store to get some cream cheese to make jalapeno poppers tomorrow. We lost all the potatoes to that darn juglon (?) disease. For that Im VERY disappointed!
Go to Top of Page

HeatherP
Star Contributor

AZ
USA
368 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2015 :  05:54:47 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Juanita,

My ex-husband got a C-PAP while we were married, and it made a world of difference. He had a lot of troubles with the nasal mask, especially since it only let him sleep on his back. He went for a second fitting and they fitted him with a full mask (covers nose and mouth) and gave him a head strap to hold it in place when he slept on his side or his stomach.

Good luck!

Heather
Silver Certified Shopper
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1634 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2015 :  08:17:51 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Judy, I think I am in zone 4...northeast. We have a short growing season here. I am going to get dressed and put the tomatoes etc. outside.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1634 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2015 :  12:33:18 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Does anyone have anything to say about gardening?
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2015 :  07:07:42 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Forgive me ladies, I DONT mean to be rude. I am sorry, but sleep apnea is a health problem, and has nothing to do with gardening. In the "random thoughts" category, you may find others suffering from the same problems you experience that may be of help. If not, start a new thread to get one going. Im sure there are others that would relish exchanging experiences, and information theyve learned in dealing with the problem.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2015 :  07:12:32 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
McBarb, by bringing your plants in nightly, do you have good luck getting good sized vegetables from the plants? Ive read about various vegetables that can be grown inside, and just wonder what your experiences have been.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1634 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2015 :  07:08:10 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I did not place the plants outside. I have been using the gro light but the peppers do not care for the light. The leaves on the pepper plants are shriveling up. I put the tomato plants in the gro lite for hours. It does not seem to make any difference. I will prolly throw them away. It is sickening cuz last year I had gorgeous plants. Oh well, at least I have peppers.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2015 :  10:55:49 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear the news of your plants. Its too bad your landlord wouldnt allow you to set a few planters near your entrance to plant in. Depending on how talented you are, have you thought of making wooden planters to hold tomatoes, and peppers? I believe they could also be purchased also in wood, plastic, or styrofoam inexpensively up to 4-5' long.
Well, we had a heck of a storm the other night, with high winds. We lost all the sweet corn. Its flat to the ground, and it wont rise up again even if helped. Kurts Dad said hed never seen corn that flat in all his years of farming. Thankfully, the baby corn is fine though.Sweet corn can be gotten from a friend for free if we decide to freeze more this year. Another 31 quarts of string beans canned yesterday. One more picking and that should be sufficient. Anything picked after, Kurt can do whatever he wants with. Oh, and just to let you know those special beans developed by the UW-Madison,WI dont can up any different, nor taste any better than the beans we usually use. They dont stay crispy! Broccoli gets picked tomorrow morning and will be frozen. Cauliflower is looking great, as are onions, dill, garlic, melons, squash, cucumbers- should be ready soon for pickling. I worked at rearranging the canning room to make room for this years canning. I moved all of last years remaining product into the new area Kurt built to accommodate the overflow. Im liking this, as Kurt and I will be more inclined to grab from this area, rather than the newest canned product. Think its time to make a couple apple pies now. A neighbor friend gave me several Pink Lady apples for eating, but....pie sounds Yummy.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1634 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2015 :  3:35:42 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
How high were the winds? WOW.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2015 :  4:56:40 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
We had tornado warnings out, and high winds predicted. Here at the house some of the neighbors lost trees. When living in the country farmers dont have the trees to protect their crops from high winds, such is the case with the corn. Wide open spaces will suffer more damage. The tornado missed us locally, but a couple did set down just west of town, and in the southern part of the state on the storms way out of the state. A very close friend living in the southwestern part of the state, sent pictures of his yard after the storm hit there. I couldnt recognize a thing about his yard, his house, or the house next door, or see down the street, as trees were all over the place in heaps in the pictures.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1634 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2015 :  5:50:48 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Very interesting to hear this from you. I have good news...my sun gold tomato plant has buds on it. I have had that in the kitchen windowsill and now it is getting the plant gro bulb. I have had the tomato plants on the gro light a few hours. The sun gold is Burpee hybrid tomato .... The sun gold are orange cherry tomatoes. Supposed to be tasty. I am psyched cuz they are the free seeds from Burpee to replace my hollyhocks that never grew. I have another tomato plant that will have buds soon and that is the Tasti Lee...free hybrid tomato seeds from Burpee also to replace the hollyhocks!! My jalapeno peppers are totally loaded with buds!! Others are doing great too ...... just not as good as the jalapenos.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2015 :  6:13:52 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Where theres a will, theres a way as they say. You definitely have the will to grow flowers and veggies. Since youre going to get some jalapenos. are you going to make jalapeno poppers? If not, what do you use them for? If you havent had them, theyre to die for excellent. I made up three cookie sheets full of poppers the other day. Sent one to work with Kurt to share, one to his Dads, and we pigged out on the other. I just wish our cucumbers would hurry up and get ready to pickle, so I can get rid of the huge collection of jalapenos in the fridge gathered from the garden in the last two days. I canned up another 28 quarts of string beans today.. Thats all Im going to do! Everything left to pick Kurt can give away, or sell.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1634 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2015 :  7:58:00 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I haven't tried the poppers but prolly will. I am going to have loads of jalapenos!! Woohoo...an Italian lady I just met told me she fills them with cream cheese and sausage, then bakes them. She also told me not to remove the seeds. I was looking at her lillies and saw some pods on some of the plants, so I looked down the line of them and saw one of the pods open, so I pulled it off. It was full of black seeds. I showed them to her and she said I could have them. I am going to plant them. Maybe I can grow yellow lillies from seed!!

Tonight I potted seedlings of celosia, 4 geraniums and potted my last jalapeno plant.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1634 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2015 :  8:07:09 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I will try the poppers.... also jalapeno hummus and jalapeno cheddar cornbread. I always make my own salsa ...so that is a given for sure. I grew my own parsley but that died. I used lime juice, tomato, scallion, garlic, fresh chopped parsley, (or cilantro) and jalapenos. I put some salsa in with ground beef and made salsa burgers. I added beef, salsa, egg and bread crumbs. Now they were the best burgers I ever made.

Jnanne, where are you?
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2015 :  07:51:33 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
McBarb, Jalapeno Cheddar bread sounds VERY good. Does it pack any heat, or do the jalapenos lose their heat when baked? That is a recipe Ill have to look online for, unless youd care to share it. I too make my own salsa, and can it up. When the tomatoes are ready this year, I think Ill try making just the fresh uncooked version for a change. As for the poppers, I modified recipes I found online to my liking, and definitely used less bacon to wrap each pepper. One slice bacon cut into thirds and stretched to wrap. Also added crumbled bacon, garlic, onion, and cheddar cheese to the cream cheese mixture. The overall flavor was excellent. If you do decide to make poppers be sure to wear rubber gloves when removing the seeds and fiber, otherwise youll experience a burning sensation like no other.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1634 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2015 :  08:00:55 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
This is from the Food network....sounds so good.

Ingredients
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons baking powder
2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 cups milk
3 extra-large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted, plus extra to grease the pan
8 ounces aged extra-sharp Cheddar, grated, divided
1/3 cup chopped scallions, white and green parts, plus extra for garnish, 3 scallions
3 tablespoons seeded and minced fresh jalapeno peppers
Directions
Combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, combine the milk, eggs, and butter. With a wooden spoon, stir the wet ingredients into the dry until most of the lumps are dissolved. Don't overmix! Mix in 2 cups of the grated Cheddar, the scallions and jalapenos, and allow the mixture to sit at room temperature for 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 by 13 by 2-inch baking pan.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smooth the top, and sprinkle with the remaining grated Cheddar and extra chopped scallions. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool and cut into large squares. Serve warm or at room temperature.

2006, Barefoot Contessa at Home, All Rights Reserved

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/jalapeno-cheddar-cornbread-recipe.html?oc=linkback

Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1634 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2015 :  08:03:48 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
This 1 is from Jiffy Mix...wow so easy !!

Jalapeño Cornbread
(6 - 9 Servings)
2 pkgs. "JIFFY" Corn Muffin Mix
3 eggs
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup sour cream
4 jalapeño peppers, cored and diced
1 small red pepper, diced
1/4 cup margarine or butter, melted
Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease a 9” square pan or a 10” cast iron skillet preheated in the oven.

Combine all ingredients. Blend well. Pour into pan or skillet. Bake 25 – 30 minutes.

Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2015 :  1:29:31 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Ive also found a lot of excellent recipes at foodnet. both recipes sound excellent, but I will try the food net one first, as I like to make things from scratch. Thanks for sharing.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 39 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition ® Copyright © All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums