Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 39

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3047 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2015 :  07:56:02 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Not much gardening going on at our house. Between the flooding in the spring and the total lack of rain since June, coupled with temps around 105 many days, we are lucky to keep our lawns alive. Most of my flowers have died--but should return in the spring. The shrubbery is wilted and sad. The vegetables are no more.

The garden at the church, however, is going strong in many ways. We lost some of the veggies much earlier than usual, but the folk who tend that garden have it on a timer to water daily and consistently remove the old plants and put in fresh crops year round. We've given away lots of veggies to our neighbors, frequently include some in the weekly meals on wheels delivery, and have sent some to the homeless day shelter which feeds many folk each day.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

Eau Claire, WI. 54703-1729
USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2015 :  08:57:30 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Im very sorry to hear the weather has caused so much devastation. Then some of us have gotten a lot of rain, 3" again, just day before yesterday. We seldom get that kind of rainfall in one shot. I watch the weather map daily only to see up here in the north country there have been lots of states getting rain, and loads of little storms peppered throughout the area passing through. 105 degrees, is that an odd occurrence in your area? Thankfully, weve only had one week so far with the temps in the high 80's low 90's so far. Its been a good year for a garden, but not ours! Some of the storms have included high winds that more or less took care of the sweet corn, and that darn juglone soil took care of the rest. NOT much canning this year at all, sadly to say. Three tomatoes out of the garden out of 36 plants!
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1666 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2015 :  10:04:52 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Good to see you post Jnanne. I was wondering how you were doing! Some seasons are definitely better than others. I have nothing outside to begin with. The darn squirrels dug up a lot of the soil where I had my garden last year to bury their peanuts.... I have 2 morning glories outside and I have no idea where they came from as I did not plant anything outside this year....that was a pleasant surprise. I put out hanging baskets of morning glories too and they are doing ok but tomatoes and peppers are growing in my living room. My first sun gold flower will open this week so I will have cute orange cherry tomatoes. Peppers are flowering this week also. I still have to repot some things today. Going to get to work on that NOW.

Judy, you could do your garden at your house next year and your son can deal with it. It is your house. Or am I missing something?
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1666 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2015 :  3:07:26 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I am growing to grow garlic. I watched a video on Burpee and I can do this in containers in my kitchen.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1666 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2015 :  12:13:15 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hey I have a blue morning glory blooming in my living room. YAY!!!!

Judy, I do not know if you have a Dollar General where you live, but they have a 90% off sale on all seeds. Of course, I bought more. I got blue morning glories, marigolds bush beans, pansies 4 o' clocks and gypsophila (looks like baby's breath...small white flowers).
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3047 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2015 :  08:16:10 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
We have a break in the temp! Yesterday it was only 99! It had been over 100 for the last two weeks. I heard on the radio that 105 was the highest this run. However, I saw 112 on one of the temp signs in town. It sure felt 112!

The only parts of the city that are beautiful are areas where sprinklers are running. We are not in nearly the bad shape that is found further west. It probably helps that the Red River runs through here, but most of the bayous that were overflowing in the spring are all dried up. That means the alligators are venturing into the river and there have been news stories urging people to stay out of the water.

I am still on the lookout for bargain bulbs and other perennials, though. Just because I can't easily plant them now, doesn't mean I can't hold onto them until I can!

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1666 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2015 :  06:06:37 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jnanne, It is too hot for me down there. Wow. It was 85 here and that was too hot.
It is a good time to get clearance seeds etc. YAY! 90% off. I got seeds for $.02 a pack...

I have flowers on my jalapenos. I have to pollinate them with a q-tip cuz they are inside. The peppers will be small but at least the squirrel is not taking a bite out of them and digging in the pots.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2015 :  08:15:52 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I sure dont envy you with those temps Jnanne. Its been a few years since weve experienced such high temps. That along with the high humidity up here, it was a steam bath. NO thanks! If it werent for the humidity, the temps wouldnt be so bad.
Ive been busy as a bee freezing diced onions and jalapenos. Jalapenos are huge, and will work great for poppers.Weve been giving green peppers away because I dont have any use for more. I bought a lot of fresh garlic bulbs from a roadside farmer stand, diced them and canned those up in small jars. Cucumbers have been very slow, and only getting enough to fill a canner each time. Kurt has been picking tomatoes that are still green, and then I let them ripen in the house, due to that darn juglone disease. As soon as they ripen on the vine they die otherwise. There are tons of squash that will be ready soon, as well as melons, and carrots for canning.
Thanks for the heads up on the General Dollar buys McBarb, but I dont do flowers, and using the previous years vegetable seeds doesnt work well. We buy our seeds from online sites in the spring. Kurt went out to the farm to mow the grass and gather cucumbers and whatever else is ready today. Hopefully, another canner full of pickles to be done.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1666 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2015 :  06:24:01 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Juanita J, thank you so much for not getting all wierded out when I asked if could call you JJ!!!

My peppers are doing wonderful. The jalapenos are growing at a fat pace too! The roma tomato plant I gave my friend is full of tomatoes. The growing season here in this neck of the woods is almost done. We usually have colder weather in September.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2015 :  09:14:47 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
McBarb, our weather locally has been more fall like for the past two weeks. Much cooler temps than normal for days and night time lows. Cold, rainy, and blustery winds. We too, have only about two more good weeks of growing here.IF the weather is good! I just hate the thought of winter coming!
That roadside stand I mentioned earlier, well I returned two more times to get garlic, dill, and rhubarb. I spent 3 hours with the woman gabbing a blue streak. We talked a lot about canning and what we do up. We have worked out a deal. She grows many things we dont, and visa versa. We are going to barter, trade, and Ill do some of her canning for payment/trade. I took her over some fresh made strawberry/rhubarb jam, a variety of canned pickles, and a jar of canned pears.What did she do, she sent a huge trash bag of rhubarb home with me. Now, Im going to search online for rhubarb jam for diabetics, as a thank you, so she can enjoy it without repercussion. This woman has a garden almost as large as ours, and works it all alone. She is 73 yrs old. Its a beautiful sight to see.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1666 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2015 :  09:53:22 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Judy, that is sooo cool. I am happy for you.I is great to have someone to talk to about the things we like to do!!!!!
Our weather has changed a couple of weeks ago also. The leaves changed early again this year.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2015 :  07:22:30 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Oh my gosh! Leaves changing already, that is scary. Fall/winter is coming way too soon.
Another trip to the ladies garden is in the works today. My son contacted me last night saying garlic can be canned. Since "Sandy" has over 9000 fresh huge garlic plants hanging from her garage ceiling drying, Im going to purchase a bunch to can up. Here, Ive searched online and couldnt find an easy/safe way to can them up.Im anxious to try this, as we use a lot of garlic. Since the directions are very simple the worst part will be peeling, and that isnt going to be half bad using the quick method of placing individual cloves in a bowl with a lid, and then shake for a few seconds. This method works great for removing the skins.Frustrated last canning season of having to peel so many for making pickles, I searched online for an easy way to do the task and found this. You can do the same with hard boiled eggs, but you have to add a little water, and not shake very long, or youll get mush as I learned. The shell falls off easy. From now on Im going to the internet before starting a tedious task to find an easy way to do it.
Go to Top of Page

BCheatam
Star Contributor

IN
USA
290 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2015 :  9:19:16 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
JudyK,I love reading all about gardens and wish I were young and healthy enought to have one.
Anyway, am curious about the garlic. Why would you want to can them when they keep so well hanging dry? I can't eat garlic myself so thought there may be some secret use for canned?
Bettye

Silver Certified Mystery Shopper & Auditor in Central and Southern Indiana.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2015 :  10:55:06 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Bcheatam, to answer your question, its just a matter of convenience to can the garlic as space is limited in the canning storage room. I also dont think my son would appreciate having garlic hanging from the ceiling in the makeshift expansion canning room, as he does all the work in this area to plant veggies early in the season for future planting when its time. We eat a lot of garlic here, and prefer to go to the shelf to grab what I need without worrying about having to clean it before using. My next to the oldest son, just canned up a bushel of garlic this week, while I did up only a half bushel. We love to saute garlic with butter, and then add it to mashed potatoes. Amazing flavor. My new friend Sandy is drying garlic for me to make into garlic powder, and garlic salt. Another that we use a lot of. Ive diced up a bushel of onions with those going in the freezer in 1 cup baggies for convenience when making soups,stews, hot dishes, or hot brats/hotdogs. I was also able to gather 6 pints of pure onion juice to can up from that project for future use. Kurt, (my oldest son) is at the farm garden today digging up potatoes. So I know what Ill be canning next, not all, but a good many. We absolutely love the fingerlings, and small potatoes canned, and leave the large ones for everything else. So nice to grab a jar, and just slice to heat up, saute, or fry. We ordered a dozen cleaned whole chickens from a friend, to can up also. Hopefully, they wont be ready for another week, or so. Ive still got cucumbers growing that will need to be done up. Im going to can until I no longer am able, and possibly by then I can get Kurt to help me, if need be. Im sorry you arent able to garden, and am sure you miss doing those things you once enjoyed.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1666 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2015 :  07:30:07 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Judy,

1. Why don't you plant the garden at your house instead of where you did this year?

2. How do you grow garlic?
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2015 :  09:30:31 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
McBarb, as I mentioned before, I dont own the home any longer, I sold it to Kurt a few years ago. Since its his he decides what goes on. His planting strawberries at the house shocked me, as he has the lawn looking like a golf course. Another problem here is the dirt. It is all sand, not good growing for many plants.
There are two ways to plant garlic. One is to gather the seed from the top that is contained in a small ball sized pod. The other, is to break apart the whole clove, separate the cloves, do not peel, and place narrow pointed top face up in the dirt.
My friend Sandy, wasnt able to can a thing up this year, partially because of hand surgery, and spending time working her garden, and selling the produce. Our plan is to share, Ill can the veggies she most wants, plus some pears off our tree, and she will furnish us with veggies we dont grow, or we need for canning purposes garlic,and dill for example. Shes diabetic, as is my x-husband, so she doesnt make any jams/jellies for herself. As long as I make a lot of it, Ill make 4 ounce jars for her use. My son up north told me about an all natural sweetener that is safer for diabetics that Ill check on for next years canning. Why Tooblia, or something like that sounds familiar Im not sure.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1666 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2015 :  09:35:39 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Judy,
I do not remember a lot of posts here. We have posted 23 pages... anyways.....Thanks for the tips on growing garlic. I never saw a seed on a garlic so I will plant a clove and see if it grows. That would be very cool!!!
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2015 :  06:51:18 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
You wont get a garlic this year, but next season you should. Thats the way it worked for us. So be patient.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1666 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2015 :  08:04:58 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Judy, how far down in the dirt do I need to place the clove and do I completely drench it with water or just normal? I would love to grow garlic. I put it in everything!! When I buy it at the store it ALWAYS has a green thing growing out of the top. I was told by a Chef not to use it if it has that green thing. I think it means it is old. Garlic is very healthy.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2015 :  09:36:58 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Garlic can be planted in the spring as soon as the ground can be worked, but fall planting is recommended for most gardeners. Plant in the fall and you'll find that your bulbs are bigger and more flavorful when you harvest the next summer.
In areas that get a hard frost, plant garlic 6 to 8 weeks before that frost. In southern areas, February or March is a better time to plant.
Break apart cloves from bulb a few days before planting, but keep the papery husk on each individual clove.
Plant cloves about one month before the ground freezes.
Do not plant cloves from the grocery store. They may be unsuited varieties for your area, and most are treated to make their shelf life longer, making them harder to grow. Instead, get cloves from a mail order seed company or a local nursery.
Ensure soil is well-drained with plenty of organic matter. Select a sunny spot.
Place cloves 4 inches apart and 2 inches deep, in their upright position (the wide root side facing down and pointed end facing up).
In the spring, as warmer temperatures come, shoots will emerge through the ground.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 39  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums