Previous Page | Next Page

Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 39

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1666 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2015 :  1:04:35 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Judy, I will give it a try in a pot and see how that goes. I am going to use what I bought at the store cuz that is what I have. Thanks again, Judy!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

Eau Claire, WI. 54703-1729
USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2015 :  09:02:52 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Id do the same thing if thats all I had. Hope it works for you. Have you ever seen garlic that has the stem run down the middle of the garlic? Its a new one for me. The garlic I bought from Sandy has it, and I was surprised to see it. Of all the garlic Ive purchased, Ive never had any like this, plus the individual cloves were larger than the type that the stem didnt. These worked great for mincing in my As Seen on TV Vidalia mincer. Then all I had to do was remove them and mince manually a little to get the desired size I wanted for canning.
Carrots are being dug up today, and canning them begins tomorrow. The baby carrots here at the house are still too small to dig though. Looks as though our cantaloupe are amounting to something edible this year! Kurt figures last years were affected by the Juglone, as they got about 5-6" diameter in size, and rotted. Were still getting green tomatoes that we pull and let ripen in a box, rather than let the juglone take them. Only getting 3-4 quarts to can at any given time, but something is better than nothing. Chickens will be ready next week for pick up, and then canning those up as soon as I get them. If youve never had a home canned chicken, they are fantastic, and can be used in so many ways. I also pick up chicken on sale at the grocer to can up.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1666 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2015 :  08:01:24 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
This is a question for anyone that has has a garden or plants.....

~ Do you water your plants in the morning, in the day or at night and why?
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2015 :  3:29:10 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
We water the garden, and lawn very early in the morning, and again in the evening. Watering any time in between the heat of the day, and sun causes it to evaporate.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2015 :  05:34:17 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
We canned up 156 pints of carrots Saturday, and were still not near an end of it. On Friday, I canned up 60 pints after Kurt and I spent Thursday cleaning them by hand. After that episode, he decided to go out to Grandmas and get her old wringer washer to clean the carrots in. That worked superb! All that needed to be done after the washing was to remove the ends. I started out using just one canner, then thought to get two canners going, one being ready to go on the stove, as the other cooled. I was VERY sore the next day from running the carrots through the mandolin for slices, as were my legs from standing so long. Theres still 4 rows of carrots at the farm to can yet,along with those planted here at the house. I dont think well have to can carrots again for a couple of years, thankfully! Kurt also brought back cucumbers to be canned on Sunday, and another bag last night that Ill be canning this morning.I have no idea how many quarts of pickles Ive done so far, but Im sure not nearly as many as last year. I still hope for enough cucumbers to at least make a couple of canners of Bread & Butter pickles also. A few cantaloupe were ready for picking, so we got to enjoy eating that last night. As Kurt has finished each produce item he tilled up the area and planted rye, which is now 4" tall in most places in the garden. I believe all thats left to be gotten out are the remaining carrots, cantaloupe, and squash.
Go to Top of Page

BCheatam
Star Contributor

IN
USA
290 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2015 :  05:52:37 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I love to read about everybody's garden. Judy, is there anything you don't plant because you don't like to eat it? How large is the farm garden?

Silver Certified Mystery Shopper & Auditor in Central and Southern Indiana.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2015 :  09:00:31 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Bcheatam, Spaghetti squash, brussel sprouts, and eggplant dont get planted because we dont care for them. We share everything we can up with family, friends, and those in need. Kurt figures the farm garden is over 500' wide and each row is 50' long. In another section we grow cucumbers, tomatoes, squash, carrots and cantaloupe is 75' wide with sections for each to spread out. At the house, we have a garden for strawberry and blueberry plants, and another small separate garden area just for asparagus. Baby carrots, are planted close to the house in 50 gallon barrels cut in half lengthwise. Thankfully, I only had enough cucumbers to make 6 qts of pickles this morning.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1666 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2015 :  6:18:24 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My peppers are growing a lot these days.... tomatoes too. The sun gold tomatoes are going to flower soon. The plants have gotten taller and bushier. I put them under the gro light bulb which has helped and it has been 85+ in the daytime. Tomorrow it should be in the 70's again. So far I have jalapenos, sweet hybrid mix and hungarian wax. I had to cut the leaves off the sweet pepper so the peppers could form. The flowers are in a bunch, so the peppers will grow the same. The morning glories are gorgeous!! I have 3 now. I moved the one from in front of my front door and put it in with the other 2. So now I have a big white flower morning glory and 2 purple. The morning glories are trained to grow up by my front door and around the white fence and up the shepherd's pole. I love push pins to hold them in place!!
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2015 :  07:05:41 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
McBarb, have you ever had a garden outside of any size? As much as you love to play with growing various flowers and vegetables, you really need someplace to show off your talents.I understand youre living in an apartment is quite difficult, yet, you manage quite well. Its really too bad your neighbors dont know enough to leave whats not theirs alone. Id bet, if you knew your hard work wouldnt be stolen youd have lots of planters full of stuff.
Now, youre getting the warmer weather, that we just got out of. Day before yesterday, it was in the low 90's and humid, and just as fast, we went into the 60's overnight, and wearing sweatshirts and jeans. Today, is another very cool day, and predictions for the remainder of the week are to get a lot cooler with lows in the low 40's overnight.
We picked another small bag of cucumbers last night, and brought a few more cantaloupe and red potatoes home. I plan on making a batch of Bread&Butter pickles this morning. Yesterday, I went downstairs to make room for the canned carrots, and decided to count the pickles Id done up. As slow as they were growing, and my complaining about it, Ive got almost as many canned up as last year, minus no more than 6 jars. Oh, and did I mention earlier that I found Id been making my crispy dill recipe for quarts, instead of the pints the recipe called for? I forgot to double up on ingredients last year, yet, got nothing but compliments on them. My x-husband, and his wife had told me not to change the recipe they liked them so much. Well, I did the same this year, UNTIL, I read the recipe was for the smaller jars, before I realized Id made them wrong again, and only then did I use the correct amount of ingredients. Now we shall see if there is much of a difference in taste.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1666 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2015 :  07:13:44 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Yes, I had two gardens once. I had potatoes, corn and squash in one garden. I had peppers, eggplant, beans and tomatoes in the other. I used to buy plants but now I use seeds as it is more fun!! I could rent a space here in town for $25 but decided not to do that cuz I have to drive over there. Everything is growing in my living room just fine!!

I am going to plant seeds this weekend....basil, parsley, dill and more flowers for inside.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2015 :  11:43:16 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have to agree, watching something develop from a seed is quite amazing, and fun to watch grow as it matures, all the way to the finish line. Do you use dill in your cooking? Have you by any chance made a tuna fish salad for sandwiches with dill in it? I havent myself, but had a sandwich made of this, and it was to die for good.
I made up two double batches of Bread & Butter pickles after my trip to get more cucumbers. Kurt said more cukes will be ready tomorrow at the farm. Im just hoping he doesnt decide to dig carrots! But all bets are off since its the weekend coming up. Before the squash is ready Im going to have to start another freezer up, as Ive somehow managed to fill the biggest one, and now want to separate some of the larger packaged goods from the smaller packaged stuff for easier accessibility. We purchased some light weight smaller totes with air spaces, to pack the small freezer bags of veggies to prevent them from sliding around on the shelves.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1666 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2015 :  3:37:48 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Judy, I do not think I ever put dill in a tuna sandwich but I use it in meatballs made of gr. beef and rice with chopped onion or with fresh green beans, potato salad, fresh fish. It is great with tomatoes or any veggie like broccoli or carrots. Hmmmm, making me hungry.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1666 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2015 :  4:08:39 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Judy, I looked up the spelling and the dish is porcupine meatballs.... gr. beef with chopped onion or garlic, dill, bread crumbs, egg mixed together with tomato sauce or just tomatoes. The flavor is fantastic!! I am Russian on my father's side and I put it in stuffing, dressing and beef stroganoff. I baked chicken breast with olive oil, sprinkled dill and garlic on top. I have tried to grow dill before many times but maybe this time will be the best. You never know with seeds.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2015 :  06:07:17 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
You just gave me an idea for supper tonight! Porcupine meatballs ( we like them), and Ill try your suggestion to add a pinch of dill to the mix. I dont know why you wouldnt have good luck growing dill indoors, as every article Ive read says it can be done easily. Should you decide to increase the planter space for dill, just cut off the stem, and throw it on top of the soil and it will reseed itself, along with the original plant. It will come up every year once planted. Sandy, who Ive mentioned before, grows dill and once the top have seeded, places the cut off tops in a paper bag to dry,and then collects the fallen seed at the bottom of the bag, and then plans to sell it. I dont know if youve noticed, but Dill Seed cant be purchased in the spice aisle at the grocer, and many recipes call for its use. All I know, is that it can be used in place of fresh dill when making pickles. I didnt know it at the time, but Dill Weed does not make a good dill pickle! When we ran out of fresh dill at the garden, I had to go to the grocer to try and locate, without much luck. Then my son went out of town with his daughter, and said hed stop at a store to see if they had any. He came back with packaged fresh Dill Weed. I made pickles using it, and was VERY disappointed in the lack of dill flavor once opening a jar. (Just an FYI for those reading our posts who make pickles.)
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1666 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2015 :  06:21:36 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have never been able to grow dill. I have no idea why but I will keep trying. I think I water the seedlings too much. I want to plant dill, basil and parsley. Maybe try cilantro, oregano and sage again too.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2015 :  08:39:44 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Too much water may well be the reason. We had the same problem here, but outdside, because we got so much rain this year. The dill and garlic did very poorly because of it. Have you checked online for the preferred soils, watering, fertilizing, and exposure to light your herbs desire? Id start there. I read an article online a month, or so back, about the various herbs one can grow inside that provided a lot of detail. We didnt know it at the time, but we planted cauliflower and broccoli that didnt like clay soil. Consequently, both were about the size of broccoli flowerettes. I had to laugh when Kurt brought it home, because there was only enough to put in a salad, and he wouldnt eat the cauliflower, as the white turned green when he cooked it in the microwave.
Weve been enjoying cantaloupe immensely off a plant that died for some reason. Kurt brought home 6, of which 3 didnt look even close to ripe. Much to our surprise the inside was ready, and sweet. Out of the fifteen rows of potatoes we planted, we got 3 five gallon pails! That includes possibly 10-15# of reds, along with various white breeds consisting of a lot of fingerlings, small and a few large potatoes. Too much rain (each rain we got 1 1/2"- 3")? Or, that juglone disease? Who knows. Ive got pears and apples that need to be brought in to be frozen, or canned, and I dont feel up to it! If I wait too long the pears will be too ripe to do anything with, as they need to be green when canned. IF the pears turn yellow, theyve already begun to rot from the inside out, and arent any good.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1666 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2015 :  10:33:39 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I decided to ask Burpee. I got all of my herb seeds from them. I know for sure I killed my parsley plant from too much watering. Yes.... I need help!!
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1666 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2015 :  1:06:19 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I called and was told to use a gro light and keep the seedlings moist.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2015 :  06:19:14 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Moist, thats the secret. Depending on the pot size that could mean only a tablespoon of water. We use a turkey baster, and wet the whole surface. We can direct the water all over easier this way, rather than from a glass where water hits one area with more water, leaving the rest dry. Under the grow light, that means we water two times a day, if needed, and only on plants that look dry.
Have you ever used a mandolin McBarb? IF so, which kind have you got? Not knowing if Id make good use for one, I purchased a cheapie ($3) used mandolin at Savers, thats worked really good for me, but is now showing signs it isnt made very good, as the blade bends when running carrots through in disk shaped slices. Kurt, bought a Pampered Chef Mandolin on eBay, and having tried it, Im not happy with the results. It only allows for smaller veggies to be used, and cutting off the sides of some is a big waste. I also dont like the fact that I have to use the protective handle veggie guide in order for the blade to come up and slice. Kurt also purchased the Original stainless steel mandolin on eBay, which hasnt arrived yet. Im hoping that works 100 x better. But, not having seen it yet work I just hope it doesnt require smaller produce also. If theres anyone that has a recommendation, Id sure appreciate your advice. I want a wider tray that fits larger onions, and cucumbers (for long, wide slices to be used on burgers, or sandwiches). My cheapie worked great for them.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1666 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2015 :  06:39:49 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Mandolin? I thought you meant a musical instrument. You are talking about a slicer. No, I have never used one.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 39  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums