Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 39

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2015 :  08:07:07 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I meant to check the brand of my mandolin last night and forgot. I'll keep trying to remember. My mom had a Saladmaster contraption that worked wonderfully for slicing, shredding, julienne-ing, etc. It had a tripod with a crank, much like a meat grinder. The "grinder " part had several different cylinders that were interchangeable with many different blades. It worked better than anything I've ever used, with the exception of the industrial Kitchen Aid I used in a restaurant in the 70's. The drawback was it was bulky, difficult to store, and difficult to wash. Don't know if Saladmaster still makes it. Do know it wasn't cheap.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

Eau Claire, WI. 54703-1729
USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2015 :  07:09:20 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jnanne, I googled the salad master to see what it was. Sorry to say though, it wouldnt work for the slices I make for hamburgers/brats, etc. I slice the cucumbers lengthwise, and most are larger in diameter than desired for eating as a whole pickle. The Pampered Chef Mandolin is only capable of slicing veggies up to a certain size in diameter due to the size of the protective handle in which the vegetable is held, and the machine cannot be used without the handle. Hopefully, the Original stainless steel mandolin Kurt ordered arrives today and it works. I know Kurt plans on digging the remaing rows of carrots up this weekend and also wants the slices thicker than normal. As Ive mentioned before, he doesnt like canned string beans because they get too over done during the processing time, and lose their crunch. Same goes for carrots, he doesnt like they become mushy. I think I should google slicer for lengthwise vegetable cutting and see what, if anything comes up.
Its really nice to see you post, I, we, have missed your input of helpful advice, and experience.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2015 :  12:43:01 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just got it out of the cabinet--My mandolin is a "4-piece Space Saver Grater Plus Food Preparation System." It easily slices cukes and zucchini lengthwise. It is marketed by Robinson Knife Company out of Buffalo, NY 14225 through Shop Wal-Mart On0Line at www.walmart.com . I've had it for several years and I love it. Don't actually remember getting it, so it must have been a gift. I am certain I didn't order it, but maybe I picked it up at an estate sale? Anyway, I love it. Easy to clean. Easy to use. Hope it is still available.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2015 :  12:32:05 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
The new mandolin arrived yesterday, and I used it this morning. Im really liking this one, its super fast, and cuts beautiful long slices in a snap. Kurt cut a board for this contraption to sit on partially over the sink, then catches on the center divider. I placed a huge bowl in the sink to catch the slices, and they fell into it. There was no real work to using this one, but, I will say one almost needed a college degree to figure out how it worked. I had Kurt set the desired shape of cut, as they rotate on cylinder, and at the opposite end, you also have a lever to raise, and lower the cutting blade itself for desired thickness. There is also a blade I know Ill use a lot for making long french fries to freeze up after par-frying them. I am definitely going to look up the mandolin you have, as Im sure Kurt wont be around every time I need this set up.
Kurt is digging up the remaining potatoes, and then will till that under along with the cucumber plants, and plant rye in their place.I believe all that will be left are the remaining 4 rows of carrots, along with those here at the house to be gotten out, and squash to be frozen. Im going to start canning pears this next week. The tree is just loaded this year, theres so many pears on each limb, it looks like bunches of grapes. Ill Call Feed My People and donate the excess for the homeless/low income distribution.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1633 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2015 :  3:52:20 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It has been 37 several nights and the morning glories are looking sort of ill these days but I am still getting gorgeous white and purple flowers. My neighbor (that feeds the "cute little squirrel") is going to learn a lesson when she comes home. The rat dug yup everything in her garden and ate her gladiola bulbs too. I told her so!!
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2015 :  10:23:33 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Didnt you mention a few posting back that your growing season was ending soon? Could that be why your flowers look a little ill? Ive noticed the perennials along the front of house are turning brown, and dying, and we havent had our first frost yet. Definitely not looking forward to winter coming!
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1633 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2015 :  12:03:50 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The purple morning glories I put running up next to my frnt door are looking really good. It has been in the 70's in the daytime and nights have been in 40's with several nites 37. Yes, that is sort of chilly for the glories but they are still growing. I put some push pins next to my door and they are growing up right along my front door. They get along well with my Halloween decos!!!!
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2015 :  08:09:26 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Its been many years since Ive had morning glories, even though I like them very much. Evidently, they like where youve placed them, and Ill bet it looks attractive, besides being different. I dont think Ive ever heard of anyone saying theyve had them growing up around their doors.
Keeping myself occupied now making pear and apple sauce. I cleaned off the apple tree now, and am working on the pear tree, a little at a time picking them as far as I can using a ladder. The remainder left Kurt will have to get. He has a high top cargo type van. He generally drives that out to the tree, and is able to reach the high branches easily by walking around on the roof using with the fruit picker. I used one of my 23 quart pressure canners to make sauce in, and then used the other canner to process them in. So far this weekend I did up 64 pints of unsweetened pear sauce. I bought an electric peeler that works absolutely great on fruit! Found it on the Walmart site 2 years ago. Just place the fruit on this ledge that has small plastic spikes, bring down a handle to secure it in place, then move the cutter to the top of the fruit, and push the button. Its called Starfrit Rotato Express. It doesnt take but a second, or two to peel. Ive used it to peel potatoes, but it doesnt work as well. It gets the job done, but the machine seems to tire after doing 6-8 medium sized. All I have do once its peeled, is to trim off the small amount of excess peel at the top and bottom. Made the job go soooo fast.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2015 :  08:46:24 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
You know, I don't miss real winters at all. It has gotten down to around 70 overnight and the highs are around 90 during the day. Fall has arrived. We've had lots of thunder, but no rain. The ground is dust and the grass is crunchy. The azaleas are crisp and brown and I wonder whether they will come back in the spring. We gave up watering a long time ago. I'm glad most of my flowers are bulbs, as they tend to take the harsher summers in stride and try again the next year pretty well. We shall see...

My mother-in-law is trying to teach the 3-year-old to use his water gun to water the herb garden. He prefers washing the windows and the dogs. The dogs don't much agree with him, but the cats line up at the windows, fascinated with the rivulets running down the panes. The younger ones really have never seen anything like it!

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2015 :  1:45:56 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Very nice to see you post again, and loved the part about the child and the animals.
I think for most of us that have never experienced drought, or flooding,it is hard to wrap our brains around it. We see the destruction, and unfortunately the deaths that occur on the nightly news when they occur. It is heartbreaking to know people are suffering from loss of life of loved ones, homes destroyed by fire, or floods. Our prayers are with you Jnanne, and all the others experiencing trying times.
Some gardeners in this area experienced fantastic growing conditions, while others next door, and nearby didnt get a thing from their hard labors. Way too much rain was the culprit. Everytime, we got rain its been in the 1-6" range in the area. One side of town will report low amounts, while the other side reports high. We dont believe the weatherman any longer when he predicts showers. Hopefully, the strange weather pattern will end for all, soon.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1633 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2015 :  08:45:34 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
We brought the plants in last nite and will again tonite!! It may be 29 tonight. Brrrr. I used 2 jalapenos for my chili last nite. It was delicious!! I put fresh scallions, garlic, chopped celery, green pepp, jalapenos, ground chuck and sweet sausage in olive oil til tender ..... then added crushed tomatoes, chili powder and a big can of plum tomatoes. I love jalapenos. The plum tomato plant I started and gave to my friend has tomatoes turning red too!!

Jnanne, it is great to see you post again. we miss you!!! I returned to the north with the seasonal change when I got in my 40's. My family is up here. I do not miss the heat. I loved Louisiana style cooking the best!!
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2015 :  3:19:21 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
McBarb, now youve convinced me! I was thinking of making chili yesterday, but now you had to describe it, and really made hungry for it. Its that time of year for it. Get the rest of the produce canned and frozen up, then making soups to can will be next up to can ahead.
So youre getting some of this cold early fall weather also. Hard to believe summer is over, and it went fast. Our last week of 90 degree weather was just the week before the calendar first day of fall, the 21st.Just like clock work the last day the temps dropped overnight to 40, and each night since the nights have been in the low 30's, and our days are typically cool now, requiring a sweatshirt, or jacket.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1633 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2015 :  12:45:35 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Gardening season is over here. Oh well, there is always next year.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2015 :  4:08:35 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I hope Jnanne and her family arent in the area receiving the flooding! She, and all the others going through this ordeal are in my thoughts and prayers.
Kurt brought home the squash for me to freeze. My son from upnorth came down for the week. We made a double batch of Egg Rolls today. Thankfully, I got him to help prep the onions, carrots, celery and cabbage yesterday. We got 12 dozen done up, and now in the freezer. Hell take half back north with him. Quick, easy, and delicious for snacks, or meals.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1633 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2015 :  06:52:55 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Well Judy, your harvest was superb. Mine wan't too bad considering I had no garden. I got 2 plum tomatoes and 5 jalpenos. I have 1 hungarian wax pepper and 2 jalapenos with the gro lite on them. I am hoping the peppers will ripen.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2015 :  12:29:25 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Ive never heard of a hungarian wax pepper before. Youre definitely not doing too bad for not having an outside garden to tend to. NOW, Kurt is going to be bringing home apples that a friend is giving him. Kurt took 3 5-gallon pails for the friend to put them in. I am NOT looking forward to doing them up, although, I did see a video of a quick way to peel them on Yahoo. Using a battery operated drill stab the apple in the core end, turn on, and place your peeler on the apple and move it up and down as the fruit rotates. Only problem I saw, was the skins were flying all over the kitchen. I'll charge up my drill and do it outside in the garden..lol. save the mess, and have a 5 gallon pail filled with water and cider vinegar to prevent browning. I just got done asking Kurt to pick up some more regular mouth metal lids, but he responded that he has a whole case of re-useable Tattle-Tale lids to use. I then responded, thats fine if hell stand there and put on the rubber rings and the plastic lids, and rings Ill can, if not, Im done for the season. The lids have to be placed just right over the rubber ring so as to not move the rubber ring before placing the metal lid on, or they wont seal, or remain sealed, once the metal ring is removed. He goes overboard buying some things before trying out first. We shall see what he does!
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2015 :  07:41:17 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
No danger of flooding here. On the news this morning it was reported that the level 4 drought may be changed to level 5 if we don't get any rain soon. Level 5 is considered the worst possible circumstances--something many of the western states have already been rated. The lawn reminds me of Steinbeck's "The Grapes of Wrath."

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1633 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2015 :  1:03:05 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jnanne, do you buy water in grocery stores?
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2015 :  1:04:53 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Very happy you are not in the danger zone of the flooding, but very sorry we arent hearing from you more often. I really enjoy the many things you offer up, along with your experiences.
Just a note, the comment I made to Kurt about my season of canning being done if I had to use those stupid rubber rings and plastic lids, worked. He broke down and bought several boxes of metal lids yesterday..lol.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1633 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2015 :  5:19:46 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have been putting the jalapenos under the gro lite and one of them is red now..... very pretty. It is going to be pretty tasty too!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 39 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums