Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 39

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2015 :  6:29:28 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Try pumpkin soup. Moosewood has a great recipe.

No, I haven't planted a winter garden. Not veggie, anyway. I'm waiting to see how well the perennials from previous years have survived before deciding what to add to the yard. The dianthus and pansies were wonderful last year. The mums not so much. Which is not all bad since I am allergic and really shouldn't be messing with them, anyway. I only plant them because a florist friend keeps giving them to me and I can't imagine not putting perfectly good plants into the ground. I just put them outside the fenced part of the yard and away from the house--which probably explains why they don't thrive. No one really puts effort into caring for them.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1633 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2015 :  11:12:54 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hey, check these out!! Sooooooo cute.

http://www.burpee.com/gardening-supplies/gifts/holiday-ornaments/
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1633 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2015 :  2:52:53 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My pepper seedlings are growing well. Not much sun these days to leave them in.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2015 :  12:20:53 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My violets are blooming, as is the one remaining azealia bush. The Carmelia is gorgeous. Many of the lilies are about a foot high. I guess the plants all think spring has arrived. Only the camellia should be blooming this time of year.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1633 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2015 :  05:12:14 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I went to a campsite with friends and I took a picture of a large patch of clover growing. Very strange weather.

I am going to start more pepper seeds.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2015 :  5:56:22 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
McBarb--what a wonderful way to start off the Christmas season: preparing for new life! I bought some beautiful, healthy gerbera daisy plants and calla lilies off the clearance buggy at the grocery store today that I plan to get right into the ground. A quarter for the daisies and a dollar for the large pot of lilies that probably has a dozen bulbs in it. Can't wait for next blooming season--which in this weather could be any day now.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1633 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2015 :  09:33:55 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My babies are doing great. The hungarian wax pepps have 2 sets of leaves. The Burpee California Wonder sweet pepper, jalapeno from last year's plant, Cubanelle pepp and Burpee sweet hybrid mix pepps are doing fine. The new seeds I planted are coming up also. So far it is oregano, basil and a lot of coleus. The pepper seeds I just planted won't be up for a while as peppers take longer than most veggies to sprout. They are easy to care for tho, once they are up.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1633 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2016 :  12:08:44 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My friend gave me 2 pieces of maranta (prayer plant) 10/27 so I have had it in water since then. I finally see roots coming. It has taken that long. These are gorgeous plants and the leaves are so pretty!! I am going to let the roots grow a while before putting it in dirt.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

Eau Claire, WI. 54703-1729
USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2016 :  07:49:01 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Well ladies,I may not be doing any canning at all this year. Ive gotten very bad news. Ive been in hospital all week, and got home friday. Drs say Ive got Stage 4 Pancreatic Cancer!Will know the biopsy result tomorrow, and see the oncologist also tomorrow, even though I have no intention of having either chemo or radiation. From what Ive read theres only 2-6 month survival.Im NOT looking for a pity party, just thought Id give you a heads up because each of you have become special long distance friends.
Ive got to teach Kurt how to can before I go! Nothing will be fit to eat otherwise..lol.Ive already seen how he does things and someone could easily die from it. I think his so called apple juice he did up two yrs ago is still in his garage refridgerator, not canned, and done under the filthiest conditions imaginable.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2016 :  5:09:30 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Judy--how horrible! Here's praying that the diagnosis is off and the outlook is brighter than it appears right now.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1633 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2016 :  07:12:41 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Judy, that is awful!! Why not try radiation or chemo? My mother is 88 and she has lung cancer. She is having 4 radiation treatments. Take care Judy!! Try something PLEASE!!

edited to say>>We should post something abt gardening in everypost cuz the mods took out a whole bunch of stuff off the board. They removed the post abt "Where is Marie in Chicago" and also my thread that says "Happy New Year". So I am going to mention abt my babies are doing fine. I have dill and a bunch of other stuff to be continued in next post!! HAHA.....
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2016 :  07:18:34 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Thank you. I talked to my daughter last night on the phone and she highly recommended I make an appointment at Mayo Clinic in Rochester,MN for a consultation, and cancel the oncologist appointment locally. Of course, Ive been on the internet constant researching this, and happened to come across an article written by the Clinic that described right to the T the symptoms I had. In turn I sent a link to the article to her and requested she read it. She had never heard of this type of pancreatitis called autoimmune Pancreatitis which was recognized by Mayo Clinic in Dec 2014, and is treatable with rounds of Prednisone. Miki,(my daughters name) runs a chemo and radiation therapy Clinic in AZ, and will ask her Oncologists there about it after the Clinic receives all my hospital, treatment, tests, and biopsy report today. Then, depending on what the Drs find, and advise I do, I will make an immediate appointment at Rochester, MN.It would be horrible to die of something that was misdiagnosed as cancer, but its not, but rather treatable and not life threatening. In any case, IF the diagnosis remains the same, at least, Ill have any doubts removed. Im NOT afraid to die as I know we are born to die, and its just a part of living. IF I can help one person avoid this, its worth telling my story. Never anything serious happened in my life, and no hospitalizations since I broke a wrist in early 1980, yet, this snuck up on me because it is VERY hard to diagnose unless Dr is specifically looking for it. Went in this time and was told I had gall bladder problems, and come home with a death warrant. Knowing the symptoms now, I can go back 3 yrs to when I first showed signs. Shortness of breath and prescribed an inhaler,shortly after a trip to the Dermatologist for a horrible case of dry,drive ya nuts itchy skin that only went away after if I received 2 shots. The next year, I was given only one shot that didnt help at all. This past year, I researched vitamin deficiency and dry skin, and found by including another vitamin to my daily intake, Super B Complex it cleared my skin up,UNTIL, the gall bladder symptoms the sunday before xmas. When my Gastrologist calls with the biopsy results this morning, I plan to ask him also about this API autoimmune Pancreatitis also, because the cells are so similar theyre hard to diagnose between cancer cells, and autoimmune. Im keeping my fingers crossed, as the only true test to differentiate the two, is to take an external biopsy of the pancreas to be biopsied, because the larger specimen taken has more cells than the one taken from the camera stuck down my throat, stomach and into the small intestine. Since pancreatic cancer is a high killer, and low survival rate (5%)I would strongly advise anyone exhibiting the same symptoms RUN to your doctor and get checked out and most definitely bring up the possibility of it. Google pancreatic cancer, and AIP autoimmune pancreatitis so you are aware of the signs and symptoms. That which doesnt sound like anything serious could well cost your life.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1633 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2016 :  5:33:46 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
MODS please do not remove these posts.... Come on now!
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2016 :  7:13:40 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Not to worry McBarb, Ive passed my message on. I only wish I had a green thumb as you and Jnanne. EVERYTHING has come back, same diagnosis, more aggressive, less time left. Nothing to extend it.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2016 :  1:34:08 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Judy--
from your posts it sure seems you have a green thumb where it counts. You've got family who have grown into wonderful people because of your presence. What more can a person ask?

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2016 :  4:03:04 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jnanne, thank you. Ive tried and not always have attained the desired outcome of kids, nor garden.I asked Kurt last night if he plans to scale back the size of the garden this year, and initially, He said yes. Today, wheN I went to the oncologist, I took my x husbands wife with me,and she said he wasnt going to, but rather call his brother up north to come and help with the canning.That, Jim will love as he really enjoys it as much as me, but he sure can screw some reciped up by reinventing them by adding the darndest spices, or horseradish!
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1633 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2016 :  4:32:01 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Judy, canning is a lot of work..... so if he is planning on it he better be ready.
~ Update on the seedlings is >> lots of basil, dill came up, lots of oregano but no candy apple peppers and no spearmint and no lavender. Big sigh!!~ Maybe they will come up next week.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2016 :  05:19:38 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
McBarb, Im sure Kurt wont allow Jim to prepare garden vegetables for the house in any outlandish way, as he wants to be able to eat the goods. Im also sure Kurt will share the garden bounty for his help canning and freezing the proceeds, and can can that any way he wants for his own use. IF Im not here, I will be watching from somewhere above I hope, and will get a good chuckle! More news, but wont clutter this category, yet hesitate to start a new one.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1633 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2016 :  06:48:00 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Judy, tell us. please
edited to say: I have 1 spearmint baby. I hope it will grow!! I will replant candy apple hybrid pepper seeds for the third time.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2016 :  10:48:25 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Judy--we are interested in your welfare. Please keep us informed as you wish. And we are able to jump to a new topic, also, if you think that is best.

I do believe we are representative of a very flexible crowd!

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 39 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums