Previous Page | Next Page

Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 39

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1642 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2016 :  10:58:48 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Judy, why not start a thread. It should be ok. Try doing it under random thoughts.

Haven't killed my dill, oregano or basil babies yet. The peppers are doing great.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1642 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2016 :  12:13:36 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I looked at the cup that had the candy apple pepper seeds in it (I had given up and took the cup in the kitchen and sat it down.)and all 4 sprouted. The lavender did not. I did research on growing lavender from seed. I read to keep it in the frig or freezer with damp fine potting soil, then take it out and keep it warm to sprout. So I will try, try again. I would really love to grow lavender. I will not start my tomato or flower seeds til February. I won't have room til then. I potted some of the pepper seedlings (planted seeds 11/28/15)that had 2 sets of leaves. They are very strong and healthy plants.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

Eau Claire, WI. 54703-1729
USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2016 :  11:08:50 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
McBarb, what are candy apple seeds? The only way I've grown lavender was from plants purchased at WM, and they grew like weeds and the fragrance was very powerful. No need to worry about planting again year to year, and the plot I had was further fed by a Celtic system that flowed over the top ground. With no keep to water it.
I had first round of Chemo yesterday, only side effect so far is tingling in fingers that comes when I try to drink or eat cold drinks and food. Only problem encountered is that my daughter worlk in Radiology treatment.She and her oncologists totally disagree with the treatment I'm getting, rather than the chemo used by their clinic, which has caused me to feel which Dr is correct in their decision, and my best interests. Receive my first Chemo treatment yesterday which lasted 2 hours and each will be every other week each, and 2 blood count checks the opposite 2 weeks for a total of 6 months. No driving, no major decision making, weak to very tired, and very difficult to grocery shop as no information initially was supplied. I contacted my family doctor and they've sent me the most informative list of foods, what's eat in place, and those to avoid, with also cheating foods I can eat without abusing to satisfy the desire. I have a med bag that will consistently deliver chemo for two days after initial treatment, and removed 24 hours after. Then it's a repeat of blood draw next week, and then another chemo and chemo bad for two days. Such fun! NOT!
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3045 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2016 :  8:28:56 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Judy, while chemo is often not very fun, I am glad you decided to give it a chance. I'm also glad you feel up to posting.

It is your daughter's prerogative to worry about you--definitely part of the job description in a family. And with so many different treatment paths it is not surprising that two health care professionals don't see eye-to-eye about the best treatment for anyone. Medicine is an art as well as a science, and spiritual wellness and mental attitude play roles in how well we respond to treatments.

What can we do to help with those two areas?

AND I have iris blooming. I saw daffodils and iris in a friend's yard. The roses down here are going nuts. We've had a minor cold snap or two, but that hasn't been enough to convince the spring bloomers that the 85 degrees over Christmas wasn't the harbinger of the growing season!

Sometime in the next week or two I will be helping a friend separate her dark purple iris--and she said I can take a few home to plant. Sounds wonderful to me.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2016 :  06:19:38 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
You we so lucky Jnanne, daffodils are a beautiful flower, as are the wide variety of iris'. One I particularly like is a chocolate colored iris, that smells of delicate chocolate. I haven't known anyone that grows them any longer. There were a few that grew in a small garden here at the house when I first purchased it, but, managed to die out the following spring.
I was hoping you'd offer advice, which you did to this dilemma and somewhat frustrating situation with my daughter contributing anger at my present choice of Chemo treatment and oncologist. She has no idea the doubts she has placed in my mind. I feel if she were here to attend my appointments then she would know what questions to ask, the benefits of one treatment choice over another and could address those with the Dr. Seeing she is not here, I HAVE to decide on the choices that fit my wishes, without compromising my Drs trust, or qualifications. I am now experiencing tingling sensations in my hands when I touch or drink cold items, lost the feeling of distinguishing hot and cold, have some lightheadedness and unsteady walking/standing. Last night was a particularly horrible night with radiating pain from center chest to first one shoulder to the other and down to elbows. Difficult dressing without a great deal of pain. My son, is here visiting, but is contemplating staying longer as side effects are expected to get much worse, and I won't be safe alone while Kurt is at work. The most bothersome to me is the interference this is doing to their lives, and can't express my appreciation they are doing this for me, but in same token I'm sad to have to rely on them so much and in the future. This is very emotional for me to handle as I'm a very independent that is used to doing on my own that which I can without asking for help. Miki's anger and questioning of my choices greatly disturb me, and make me feel incompetent to make my own decisions. I plan to address these issues with my cancer social service nurse that comes to talk about issues I feel today, I am NOT going to continue allowing Miki to push me in another direction, or tear down my sense of right and wrong choices that may interfere with my mental health. Sometimes it's great to have medical knowledgeable persons in family, but, right now I feel it's not such a good thing due to differences of option with Drs. It really causes me distress.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1642 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2016 :  09:45:59 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
candy apple peppers....sorry...Great to see you post Judy. I wish you the best!!!!!!!!!!!! A friend of mine is having a very difficult time because of her chemo, but I will let that go for now. I am going to do a search for cancer survivors support group. There has to be quite a few. It may help to speak to other people in the same or similar situation. At least I hope so. It is a difficult situation for everyone.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2016 :  4:04:03 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
MCBARB, actually unless this is caught early, which rarely is it ever, the survival rate is only 5%. IF caught in its early stages it jumps to 17%, Symptoms don't generally show until it's too late. I have stage 4 Pancreatic cancer with matasesses to lungs. If I were to not have treatment, I'm given 2-6 mos on the short side. With chemo, the number goes to 1 yr to possibly 2 yrs with a no promise of anther 6 months possibly. Both lungs have 100's of nodules but bring back a negative for cancer, and any other biopsy done will bring back same result, even though Drs know it is cancer, and have determined it is matasesed. After the first round of chemo under my belt, and an absolutely horrible two night of no sleep, I've decided to stop this particular chemo and try one that my daughters clinic has recommended with fewer side effects that are more tolerable, and with a very good history of being very effective, and will give me quality of life, rather than quantity. I'm told this cancer rarely goes to the lungs, but so far, I know one friends brother that has the same as I, and one patient at daughters clinic also.
Those new seeds sound very interesting as I've never heard of them. You'll have to let us know how good they're doing and eventually taste. I'm looking forward to a garden, but very afraid I won't be doing well enough to do a thing by then. The side effects from this chemo may not be reversible, and if that's the case, I'm somewhat up a creek. Neuropathy, tingling fingers and hands make it hard to differentiate between cold/hot. I may be wheel chair bound, or possibly have to be placed in a nursing or assisted living. Not such a good outlook, but it is what it is. And I'm not willing to settle for that kind of existence.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3045 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2016 :  7:20:47 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
When you speak with your daughter, remember she is also hurting. She's not trying to push you around or make you feel bad. She's just trying to keep her mother around for as long as possible and is afraid that if she does not tell you what she believes, she will regret it and blame herself later.

Your conversation will be difficult, and I can understand why you want to discuss this with her. I pray you will both find the right words to communicate effectively and bring yourselves even closer together.

As for the daffodils, I am hoping mine bloom this spring. I had a few last spring, but not many, as it was their first blooming season after planting. And as for the iris that I was so excited about--someone picked them. I got to see them bloom one day. Now they are gone. I can't imagine going into someone's yard and picking their flowers! How rude!

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2016 :  07:28:35 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
According to the groundhog,were supposed to have an early spring. Kurt has been working all fall cutting down trees so he can enlarge the garden-again, and also ordered more strawberry plants, and more vegetables to add to the space, along with new varieties of tomatoes that are more suitable for home canning. Last season we tried a new string bean that stays crisp after canning, and we were impressed.. The university of Wisconsin also developed the beans, and these new tomatoes. I'm getting anxious to start the seedlings now,and looking forward to a good canning year, God willing.
Go to Top of Page

HeatherP
Star Contributor

AZ
USA
368 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2016 :  07:18:00 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I am getting married! We just bought a house on a quarter acre of land.

1 - Where do I go to find zone information and where to look for plants that would do well? We plan on mostly buying plants this year.

2 - Where can I get information on planting roses? He wants to plant rose bushes under my bedroom windows so I can always have flowers. (In season, at any rate.)

Heather
Silver Certified Shopper
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2016 :  2:53:42 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Personally, I don't grow flowers, but, every packet of seeds has that information on the package back, same goes for flowers.I do know that roses are a lot of work and require specific nutrients and fertilizers to develop beautiful flowers. You can perform a search on the web and gain a lot of information on this. The other gals contributing to this post probably can offer a lot of good tips, but thought I'd add my two cents to start.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3045 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2016 :  4:43:59 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
There is an excellent book, Carrots Love Tomatoes, and its sequel, Roses Love Garlic, by Louise Riotte. They are great books about how to grow veggies and flowers and which ones thrive next to each other--as well as which ones to keep apart.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1642 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2016 :  2:51:57 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Judy, are you going to plant seeds? I just planted another batch. Most of the first batch is still alive.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2016 :  04:41:27 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Anything that can be started in the house will be within the next week. I haven't even looked at the selection of seeds he purchased. It seems almost everyday another seed catalog arrived, and I gave up looking, but he kills time after 11 PM sitting on his computer looking at the sales and ordering like mad. Kurt ordered another 100 strawberry plants, this time Everbearing, that's all I know for a fact. The basement shows signs he's been out getting his seed pots and trays, soil, etc. MORE grow lights have been put up. He's worked all fall and winter cutting down more trees at the farm to expand the garden there. We have a 6 car garage here at the house if that gives you any indication how big the brush pile was that had to be burned. It took tfive weekends to get it all done.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1642 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2016 :  7:49:28 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I temporarily ran out of room for my seedlings. I planted more trays and cup fulls of Cubanelle peppers, roma tomatoes, yellow pear tomatoes, yellow jubilee tomatoes, sun gold hybrid tomatoes, tasti lee hybrid tomatoes, candy apple peppers, jajapeno pepps, hungarian wax pepps, Burpee california wonder sweet pepps, cosmos, geraniums, morning glories, hollyhocks and Burpee sweet hybrid mix peppers.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1642 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2016 :  6:10:26 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I see I have some seeds sprouted... so far I have blue morning glories and pink perennial hollyhocks. I hope the seedlings live.

edited to day today I see white morning glories, Burpee roma tomatoes, Burpee cherry tomatoes, cosmos, white hollyhock and 3 pink perennial hollyhocks. I also have a Burpee Country Romance mix hollyhock!!
Go to Top of Page

HeatherP
Star Contributor

AZ
USA
368 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2016 :  06:08:17 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I live 1500 miles away from where we bought the house (he is stationed there). I'm going to visit this week and I am dragging him to Lowes to get an idea of what he wants to do. We have beautiful mature trees on the property and a very nice lawn and backyard.

I'm going to ask him to build me some raised garden beds next year so that I can tend to them while seated.

Heather
Silver Certified Shopper
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1642 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2016 :  10:50:55 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Beans and peas are always easy to grow. If you buy tomato or pepper plants >>> please check them out before you bring them home. I know someone that infested all of her plants with bugs by a plant bought at a nursery!~
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2016 :  06:28:40 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Heather, there are very inexpensive ways to build raised gardens, as I found out when desperate for room. Plastic 50 gallon barrels cut in half lengthwise, then holes drilled in the bottom and sides for draining, plus an easy to make stand to fit the height you are able to reach sitting in a chair. Weve used them the past couple of years and find they work great. We had a lot of white barrels that held airplane fuel at one time when my son was racing, but they can be purchased quite cheap ( under $5) if you check the for sale ads. We scrubbed them clean and then power washed them to get the residue out. Althoug we didnt make stands for ours as we have a 40' cement planter bordering our cement patio that I got tired of planting flowers in, this is where we placed the barrels so they get full sun all day long. Youtube also has some great ideas that can be made to enhance the beauty of your new yard. Best wishes for a happy marriage, and gardening.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1642 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2016 :  07:54:14 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
heather, so where will the house be?

I am doing much better this year with the seedlings. I use a grow tray or party cup with potting soil, place seeds, spray them with water and cover with a sandwich bag. I leave them under the pole lamp with a regular light bulb in it or in a sunny window. I did not water them as much as I did last year. I am leaving the sandwich bags to cover the cup and wrapped rubber bands around the cup so as not to tear the plant. I put most trays and cups right next to the heater to start the seeds sprouting. So far I have: purple morning glories, Burpee California Wonder sweet peppers, white morning glories, Burpee roma tomatoes, Burpee hybrid cherry tomatoes (Super sweet 100), Plantation seeds beefsteak tomatoes, Burpee candy apple hybrid peppers, Burpee geraniums, Burpee cilantro, Burpee country romance hollyhocks (perennials), Plantation cosmos, Plantation seeds jalapeno, cleome, Burpee hybrid tasti lee tomatoes, Burpee yellow pear tomatoes, Burpee sun gold hybrid tomatoes, blue morning glories, Burpee jalapeno, Burpee pink perennial hollyhocks..... that is it for now.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 39  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums