Previous Page | Next Page

Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 39

JudyK
Star Contributor

Eau Claire, WI. 54703-1729
USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2016 :  10:56:33 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
McBarb, are you noticing if the soil is drying out below the surface where the heater is directly blowing on your newly planted seeds? Gosh lady, it won't be long and you'll have to remove your furniture just to make room for all your plants. This year, I'll be placing shelving racks on the deck when our plants become big enough to be outside. There's no room any longer in my dining area to place them because I have my son from up north "babysitting" me, and has to have a main floor area to sleep in because he is a paraplegic. With the new Windows in and no more bow Windows to set the plants in, we're stuck.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1666 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2016 :  2:10:19 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have electric heat and it does not blow at all. Some of the plants are for my friends and family. I will give away quite a few to family too. My cousin and his wife like cherry tomatoes. She will also like a roma tomato and sweet pepper. Same for my other friend.....my other friend will get yellow pear tomatoes and yellow jubilee tomatoes with a sweet pepper. I have to give my mother and her friend something. So it really isn't all that much. TWo years ago I had tomato and pepper plants all over everywhere. I had tomato plants in my bathroom, my office, kitchen and living room.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2016 :  11:30:41 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
LOL! That figures youd have plants all over the house, and then to think of those friends and relatives who arent as lucky to have a green thumb. The seedlings we planted a few days ago are now above ground as of yesterday and have two leaves each. The temps here have been in the 50's and 60's indicating an early spring is on its way, so getting more planted is on the agenda. Ive told Kurt to go ahead and plant to his little hearts content knowing Im not going to be able to can up everything. We live so close to the highway on a frontage road., he can bring home the excess, and put up a vegetable stand I can monitor while hes at work. I wont be able to work in the garden due to my illness, but I should be okay to can the veggies as they come in, but far less than in the past. Selling the excess shouldnt be a problem as we are situated on the northside of town where there arent any veggie/fruit stands, yet lots of traffic passing by, and excellent visibility.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1666 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2016 :  07:58:59 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Judy, you can plant outside now?? Heavenly. Not here. It has been warm but not that warm to plant outside. Good luck and Happy gardening!!
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2016 :  10:32:41 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
No we arent able yet, as the weather can change on a seconds notice here in WI. You can wear shorts one day, and overnight the temp drop into the 20's,drop 6" of snow, and turn colder, and require winter gear. Planting wont begin until Memorial Day at least, depending how this weather pans out. temps today expected to be 65. Beautiful day for sure.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1666 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2016 :  08:05:09 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I had planted several trays of pepper seeds 2/28 and I saw they sprouted yesterday!! YAY!! Burpee California Wonder sweet peppers, Burpee sweet hybrid mix peppers, Hart cubanelle pepps and hungarian wax pepps. Now I have to plant more yellow jubilee tomatoes for my friends. I will also plant more flower seeds. I want to plant some Cherokee purple tomatoes in the organic seedling soil I got at ALdi's for $2.99 a bag!!!

~ Judy, what did you guys plant?
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2016 :  11:05:10 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
So far hes only started tomatoes, green peppers and jalapeno's. We went out and purchased yellow onions,Kenabeck potatoes (best potato used to make fantastic homemade french fries or to be used as mashed, boiled, baked), and Garlic which will get planted at the farm possibly over the weekend, IF this so-called non-registering amount ever quits!A few weeks ago, I talked to the lady I purchased dill from last summer, after we ran out. She had 1000's of garlic bulbs left,so I picked up 100 large bulbs and my son from upnorth, and I canned it up (using a recipe found online) into minced garlic over the weekend. Oh my gosh,is that GOOD! Creamy with tiny bits of garlic. No more of that store bought stuff! I can hardly wait to try it on steaks.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1666 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2016 :  3:32:35 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I think that home grown plants are a great gift!! I will give my cousin and my mother some of my plants. I also ordered $25 gift certificates for Burpee.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2016 :  4:59:49 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Gift from the heart and grown with love, is always appreciated. Great idea for Mothers Day coming up soon.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2016 :  06:28:19 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Full trays were planted with seeds of tomatoes, green peppers and jalapenos on Mar 6. To date, all that has come up are 4 plants from each tray. Just a bit disappointed to see so few. To top it off, Kurt ordered Gurneys own organic soil.Generally, he buys Miracle Grow soil, but decided to try Gurneys this time to see if it was any better. Seems NOT. Hes taken pictures, and will be contacting Gurneys today.
Yesterday, I contacted my friend who furnished me with dill last season, along with huge heads of garlic to see about purchasing garlic this year for our garden. Last fall, she had over 10 thousand hanging from the rafters in her garage, so I was hoping shed still have some left as she was going to store it in her basement. Well, sadly she couldnt get the humidity right, and had to throw over 300 pounds out. I wont be getting anything this year from her, as theyve sold the house and land to a developer, knowing the property would sell at a higher price due to a new elementary school being constructed just up the road. Theyve purchased another hoe, but now much further away, and no garden this summer. DARN! She gave me a tip on how to grow garlic. She said she plants her garlic in October as it likes the cool weather, and thats why her garlic grows so large the next yr. News to me, but great to know.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1666 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2016 :  07:52:40 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
When you say full trays were planted. How many cells in each tray??
I lost 2 tray fulls last year cuz it was not warm enough. It takes peppers longer to sprout. I just saw mine came up after I planted 2/28 and everything else had come up..... wait a while they will come up.

What kinds of tomatoes are you growing? Are they Burpee seeds or Gurneys? I have used Hart seeds too. I found them at the local hardware store. I am curious cuz I usually plant Burpee if I can get them at Walmart. Burpee's seeds have gotten too expensive for me. They show $6.95 a pack from the catalogue. YIKES!! Have you ever checked ebay for seeds?
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2016 :  10:31:41 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
There are 70 cells in each tray,each tray is vegetable specific planted, (tomatoes in one, peppers the next, ect. They each have a clear plastic cover, soil is perfectly damp, with moisture on cover, and heat lamps are going.. Most all of our seed was purchased from Gurneys online. They are in the process of sending most of the replacement seed, but of course, the tomatoes are sold out and a rain check will be provided. And wouldnt you know those were the most important. Each pack had 15 seeds and cost $8.99 a pkt. I think they were called Ruby Monster, and are very meaty type. Consequently, we arent planting Roma's this year, at least thats what Kurt has decided. I may just pick up a few locally though, as there are some things I like Romas for. There are some veggies we purchase locally especially the Radishes Kurt loves. Theyre are german radish that get very large and are hot. I dont know where he puts them all , but he snacks on them while hes working in the farm garden, and very few make it home. We order our special potatoes Kenabecks, garlic, and yellow onion sets also so we can get them started ASAP while its still cool.As far as ebay, you never know what youre getting , so he prefers to order direct from the seed companies. It is amazing as to how many catalogs we get, and how many seed companies are out there, along with the fantastic discounts some provideup to $100 off, which we take advantage of.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1666 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2016 :  6:20:15 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Judy, just wait til next week you will see peppers galore!! They will prolly all come up.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2016 :  05:15:00 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
We could only hope McBarb. Kurt checked the plantings and there isnt a seed in sight in the soil. He planted each seed dead center in each cell,and NOTHING, and then explored the surrounding area, and still nothing. He concludes that its the special soil he purchased from Gurneys that is the problem. Hes already started to empty the trays and planting in Miracle Grow soil instead. IF the replacement seeds come, hes got enough trays to accommodate them.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1666 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2016 :  07:51:41 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I use peat moss and miracle gro mixed for my potted plants. I bought some garden soil at a local hardware store on sale and it smelled like mold. I will never buy anything else but what I use now.

Why did Kurt change from Burpee seeds? I thought he went with Burpee. I recall he did not get his strawberry plants cuz they were sold out. Did he get mad at them cuz of that?
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1666 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2016 :  11:22:33 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Doy >>>> I had posted this in the weather thread last week... here ya go......
I checked several trays of seeds that has not come up yet and I planted the seeds 2/28. YAY, the cubanelle peppers came up along with hungarian wax peppers and Burpee sweet hybrid mix pepps. YAY!!

Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2016 :  3:49:14 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
He doesnt have a favorite supplier that I know of, as he shops the various catalogs that come to the house, then chooses the vegetable he wants. I think we received at least a dozen different catalogs from various growers, with each furnishing many good options. He ordered garlic several plants from Jung's today, along with other stuff.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1666 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2016 :  06:45:46 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I potted 3 Burpee yellow pear tomatoes, 1 Burpee tasti lee tomato, 3 Burpee sun gold tomatoes, 1 Burpee sweet pepper and Burpee 1 jalapeno along with Burpee cilantro and Burpee flat leaf parsley. So far they look great.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1666 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2016 :  07:36:09 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Judy, when Kurt replants his pepper seeds they may take up to 21 days to sprout. The temps need to be close to 80. He needs to be patient. I read on Burpee website >>>try taking the seeds and putting them in a wet paper towel and place in a ziploc bag. Wait til it sprouts them plant it. I have my seeds under a regular lite bulb. Happy gardening!
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2016 :  09:56:53 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Kurt has read some of the reviews about the Ruby tomatoes, with some customers having had horrible luck getting the seeds to grow, to others not having a problem. Like the Burpee site suggested, hes also tried placing various seeds in between paper toweling.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 39  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums