Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 39

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1633 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2016 :  2:00:02 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The sun has been out and the seedlings have been happy in the sun. I ran out of room on the windowsills ..... so I have 4 trays of peppers and hollyhocks under the lite bulb!! >>> 1 tray 3 perennial hollyhocks (Burpee country romance mix seeds), 1 tray Burpee California Wonder sweet peppers, 1 tray Burpee sweet hybrid mix pepps, 1 tray 5 Hungarian wax pepps and last but not least is 1 tray Hart seeds cubanelle pepper (Italian frying peppers). My babies are about 3" high already. I do want more jalapenos .... so those will be Burpee also.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1633 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2016 :  6:34:02 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I potted my Burpee perennial hollyhock as it was tipping over sideways. I also planted more Hart seeds for yellow jubilee tomatoes, Burpee Cherokee purple tomatoes, Burpee hybrid salsa tomatoes and some free (Plantation Products) cherry tomatoes and jalapeno peppers. I am done for a while......
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1633 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2016 :  06:31:37 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
So far, I have some jalapenos, cherry tomatoes and 1 salsa tomato.
edited to say I also have a yellow jubilee. The Cherokee purple should sprout soon.....
They all came up today!! YAY!!
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

Eau Claire, WI. 54703-1729
USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2016 :  06:07:09 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Some planting has taken place at the farm. Kurt put in Giant Garlic, yellow onions and horseradish. Potatoes will be next. The garden has doubled in size AGAIN! The 100 Everbearing strawberry plants hopefully will arrive sometime late in April to be planted here at the house. My involvement in gardens has been very limited, as well as daily living activities this spring due to side effects experienced from treatment is frustrating. I want to be back to normal NOW! I get out occasionally, and rarely drive, or even strong enough to doing much of anything! PetScan will be in May to see how things are progressing. At that time, Ill know how many, if any more treatments will be needed to end this, and go into just having checkups.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1633 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2016 :  10:05:03 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
What was done about the juglon?
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2016 :  2:05:07 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I know nothing about the juglon other than Kurt was told by his Father to plant rye, which he did. He tilled that up already, and now is prepping to haul in manure. His Dad farmed with his Father all the while he grew up on the farm and thats how they dealt with the problem, and planting veggies that only would produce in the area of the walnut trees.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1633 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2016 :  7:55:49 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Judy, that is great news!! I have great news too. I took the covers off the pots of tomatoes and they were in the sun today then under the light after the sun went down. The Salsa, Yellow Jubilee, Cherokee purple and cherry tomatoes all look healthy and happy!!
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2016 :  06:43:34 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have this feeling well be purchasing tomato,green pepper and jalapeno plants this year locally. We received the replacement seeds from Burpee, but these too, are not doing good. Each plant gets about an inch tall, one or two leaves on them,leaves curl up and fall off, and then all thats left is the stem that dies. He isnt leaving the cover on any longer, and still having the problem. He also only waters when needed. He even tried placing the seed on paper toweling in a freezer bag, and the same issue after transplanting them. Something isnt right! Any ideas? Hes still using that Burpee soil, just to get rid of it,and 1" square pods for growing.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1633 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2016 :  07:29:07 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It sounds like they are getting too much water... perhaps they were getting too much water before they sprouted. I plant my seeds and spray them with water, then the next day>>> I do nothing. I cannot imagine Burpee seeds not growing. All of mine have grown and have for years... so why shouldn't his? I plant my seeds and keep them under a light...not a plant gro bulb.. just a regular bulb. I place them in the sun when the sun is out. When you put in too much water the leaves will curl up, turn brown and die. It may be too cold for the seedlings too. I left the cover on mine til they were quite large as I had so many die last year and it was horrible. Maybe he could take pictures of the seedlings and send them to Burpee customer service. They will tell him what is wrong and he can fix it.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2016 :  09:59:45 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I thought the basement might be too cold also. I hate going down ther eto do laundry due to that. You might have hit the nail on the head with that thought. Also, Kurt did send Burpee a ton of pictures showing the various stages of deterioration, all he got back was a message informing him they were sending replacement seeds plus a gift. Flowers wouldnt ya know, that he wouldnt give to me...lol, because he doesnt want flowers in the yard.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1633 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2016 :  10:36:57 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
So he is throwing the flower seeds away??!! >>> You should spank him Judy. LOL... I plant flowers with my veggies as it attracts bees and other things to pollinate everything. It is also beautiful to look at. If I had your address ....I could send you money for the flower seeds and my address!!!!!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2016 :  2:13:54 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Giving the seeds away would be my choice also, but he didnt like it that I gave last years seeds to a neighbor he cant stand. So what did he do, threw them away this time.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1633 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2016 :  4:08:04 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
bad boy.... My seedlings are doing great. It turns out I have 2 Cherokee purple tomatoes and 5 salsas. I am planting flower seeds. I put some Siberian Iris bulbs in a pot, bleeding heart seeds planted and am going to plant more geraniums as the last batch died. I had them in peat pots and they did not do well. I think the peat pots dry out too much. I also planted more yellow pear tomatoes as I have only have 1 left out of 3. I may also plant more Burpee jalapeno peppers and sweet peppers. They are so easy to grow!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2016 :  12:40:21 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Oh my gosh wonders never cease. All the new plantings are up and growing very nicely. All are in Three inch pots and it is positively great to see green, instead of brown sticks. Kennebec, and Superior Russet potatoes are being planted today in a new spot to get away from the area infected by juglon disease, just to be safe.Both varieties make absolutely great homemade french fries, although, we are partial to the Kennebecs.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1633 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2016 :  3:07:03 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Woohoo for you guys!! That is great news....
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1633 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2016 :  1:32:19 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
[purple]Seeds are sprouting... :) I have a yellow pear tomato, 1 perennial hollyhock, 1 geranium and gypsophila. White alysum is doing great!! /purple]
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1633 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2016 :  09:41:36 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I asked my landlord if I could have a greenhouse and without hesitation he said, "Yes!" So along with doing laundry today, I am going to plant more seeds.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2016 :  5:55:29 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Which type are you thinking about purchasing? The stand with the cover, or the walk in type? Im sure youll keep the shelves filled no matter which you decide on.
Our tomatoes, green peppers and jalapeno plants are now 6" tall. Whew! Also a lot of the failed seeds he planted have come up now in the last week. Took a while Id say. Kurt started planting a lot of stuff in the farm garden already. Two different kinds of potatoes, two 100' rows of garlic, onions, horse radish,and corn so far. Here at the house hes planted carrots that are purple and spicy, radishes, cauliflower, broccoli. Hes also purchased 10 blueberry trees Id call them, as they grow to 6'tall that hes going to plant along the east edge of our cement patio. Theyll be arriving in a couple of weeks each 3' tall and will bear fruit this season. Hes going to remove the overgrown hedge thats there presently.
So far Ive got 2 grandsons that want to learn how to can, and I hope to be able to use both during canning season, plus, Ive told Kurt I hope he knows hes going to have to help also because theres no way Ill be able to do everything with the way Ive been feeling lately.
Ill do as much as I can, but hell have to pitch in even after working in the garden all day.
I go in for the full body scan in about 3 weeks. Not something Im looking forward to because they wont be able to put this into remission, but hopefully can slow it down. THEN, I will have some serious decisions that will have to be made when it comes back.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1633 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2016 :  07:47:34 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I know very little about greenhouses other than there are many types and sizes. I want the kind that chipmunks, neighbors and squirrels cannot get into it. My mother is prolly going to help pay for it.

Wow, you will have lots to do this summer. I hope someone helps you. I donot need help here. I can do this myself. It is sad tho that I have to spend hundreds of $ to avoid neighbors stealing from me.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2016 :  2:12:34 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Having neighbors steal your hard work would really irritate me to the point I personally would install a light sensor in the green house, or a padlock. No matter what we do sometimes, it doesnt make a difference. IF a thief wants it, theyll find a way to get it. Its always nice to have family there to help at times. Im sure youll enjoy having a good place to keep your plants.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 39 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums