Previous Page | Next Page

Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 39

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1666 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2016 :  11:44:57 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Toni, your suggestion for asparagus sounds delightful!!

This is a copy and paste from Web MD (about urine smelling w/asparagus)
"Researchers believe that, during digestion, the vegetable's sulfurous amino acids break down into smelly chemical components in all people."

As far as chemo is concerned, it is difficult to repair what the chemo does. My friend had problems with her feet and now it is her arms too.

Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

Eau Claire, WI. 54703-1729
USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2016 :  2:13:09 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
McBarb, I believe what you are referring to is neuropathy that your friend has from chemo. The very first chemo they tried on me, I got it in my fingers.Luckily, by the second week of treatment I decided that particular chemo wasnt for me. Id rather have been dead than go through another week of the side effects I experienced! I know several people who had chemo 3-4 years ago, and are still dealing with the loss of feeling in the extremities. Ive also read that it can take ten yrs, and longer with some never get their feeling back.

You have been a busy lady babying plants to give to your family members. I hope they appreciate them, and enjoy the fruits of your labor.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1666 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2016 :  2:38:11 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Judy, yes that is it. My friend had both ovarian and uterine cancers. We are so lucky she is alive. The Dr. said chemo is liquid poison and he had never given that chemo before. She has to have large amounts of potassium and magnesium. Anyways, Judy we all wish you the best in your health!!
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2016 :  09:12:21 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Fantastic news! I am in remission. Half the hundreds of tumors in my lungs are gone, and the pancreas tumor is more than half gone, and Dr believes what is left is dead tumor tissue. Three more months of chemo, another scan to see how much more work this chemo has done.

The gardens are doing great and growing like weeds. We are so happy that I will be around to can this yr.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3047 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2016 :  07:55:10 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Judy--That is absolutely fabulous news!!!!!

Congrats on beating it--keep up the good work!

I hope you are soon feeling well, also. Chemo sure knocks a person for a loop, but it appears to have been successful, so the worst is (or soon will be) behind you. I hope you have many years of enjoying your garden from planting through harvesting and munching.

Time to celebrate. Care for an asparagus cocktail?

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2016 :  09:11:16 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Thank you Jnanne, but I havent beat it. I was clasified as Stage 4 Pancreatic cancer w/metastasis to the lungs, so it WILL come back. But when is anyones guess. At least, now I can stop giving my things away in preparation. I still may not be able to can a lot, but Im going to give it my best try, and do what I can and when I feel up to it.So far, Ive had 5 good to fabulous days where Im feeling great, and hate to resume chemo until next week to enjoy my daughters visit back home tomorrow. Im sick and tired of being sick and tired, so hope to enjoy the remainder of this week until Monday with her. When her clinic recommended this chem, my oncologist kind of nixed it, but it worked, at least so far at killing the tumors. Her clinic said the chemo I am on is the only chemo thats been successful at their clinic in treating this cancer specifically.Im glad my Dr listened to me.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1666 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2016 :  06:12:47 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Judy, that is great news!! Cheers to an asparagus cocktail!
I bought a lot of flowers and made hanging basket arrangements. They both have vinca vine in the middle with white allysum and petunias around the edge. It is about 28 right now and it snowed yesterday and last night so I took both hanging baskets, put one in laundry basket and another in a box..... then placed them in my car to protect them from wind and snow.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2016 :  3:44:43 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Crazy darn weather! Some parts of WI also had snow, and others had freeze and frost warnings. The garden at the farm suffered a heavy freeze.Needless to say, even though everything was covered with 5 gallon pails Kurts tomatoes were all black yesterday morning. He went to the farm today, and pulled all the black leaves off to give the plants a chance to regrow new limbs since the stems were still green. The tomatoes here at the house didnt suffer a bit, thankfully! Hes now decided to purchase the same tomatoes online for $3 each already to be planted. This time I HOPE he listens and waits until Memorial Day before planting them!
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1666 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2016 :  06:40:59 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Judy, ouch! I took the 2 hanging baskets and placed them in my car. They were fine.

Yesterday I potted 4 beefsteak tomatoes, 5 yellow pear tomatoes, 3 Burpee sweet peppers, 3 jalapenos and 4 Burpee sweet hybrid mix peppers. They all survived the transfer into pots and now the sun is shining on all of them!!!!

Jnanne, what happened with your landscapers? Did they replace or fix anything?
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2016 :  3:31:51 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
McBarb, the temps that morning were 25-27 degrees, consequently a deep freeze. I felt badly he lost all the tomatoes and string beans, but can only imagine how Kurt felt after all the work and babying he did to get them to where they were. Thankfully, he isnt one to give up, and replanted after losing the first batch of tomatoes.
Our blueberry trees are expected to be here before the weekend. Three feet tall and expected to produce this yr. Im almost positive another upright freezer will be needed to store everything that needs to be frozen.
Had my chemo today, and was extremely tired by the time I got home. I also was able to view the PetScan results from time of diagnosis, and CT scan to see the huge differences myself. Oncologist was very impressed, as was I. Since the hundreds of tumors in my lungs appeared to be on the small side to me, he said hes hoping the remainder of chemo may kill the rest. The pancreas tumor is the most dramatic to me because in the PetScan it looked huge, and now its hard to see it. He says the body will absorb the remaining dead tissue. I see the oncologist twice per month and have decided one or both sons need to go only once with me, mainly because there are time I WANT to talk to the doctor alone openly at times. Today was very informative and refreshed my hopes of longer survival. I asked questions I wanted answered without disturbing the kids.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1666 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2016 :  06:19:56 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Judy, I bet Kurt will not do that again. He prolly learned a lesson!!

Judy, great news about your health. You need your rest and asparagus. What do you eat? I am curious.

Jnanne, what happened with the landscapers?
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2016 :  08:00:11 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
You would be shocked to hear what actually does work to eat, and it isnt home made foods very often. After Im done with chemo, we head for MacDonalds, or Burger King! I can eat MacDonalds french fries and hamburger, or fish sandwich, and a vanilla malt. Burger King its a Big Whopper. I cant drink or eat anything with sugar or my pancreas gets very upset! No more soda, no more sweets, no more sugars of any kind including the use of honey or honey powder. Kurt thought I was being crazy, and talked to his boss about his cancer, and what he was able to eat. He said the same thing as I was all he could eat also. But make those things at home and they were intolerable. Another big help around here is Kentucky Fried Chicken, yes, KFC! If Im unable to eat anything else I can scarf down their grilled chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy,and cole slaw. Kurt will stop there on his way from the farm garden if he knows Ive been really sick that day. Im not able to cook much for us these days, but if I feel half decent, I can start a meal, but cant complete it because Im too weak. Then I have Kurt, who thinks a meal is pizza, hamburgers, brats, or hot dogs and macaronie and cheese, all of which I dont tolerate well. I took last week off from chemo since my daughter was coming from AZ and I didnt want to be sick in bed yet again! . My gosh, my appetite was fantastic. I ate anything that didnt get up and crawl away! I had started to feel good the thursday night just before Mothers Day, and by the time sunday rolled around I was feeling fantastic, but had very little appetite to eat anything. By Monday, I was on my downward side of feeling good again, but my appetite was excellent Until Wednesday after Mothers Day, when I went back on Chemo.I was hungry for a friday night fish fry, so she and I did manage to hit one, and I scarfed down the fish after I removed the batter, also a baked potato and cole slaw. Now, Im back in bed and unable to eat normal foods again. My oncologist inquired how my appetite had been and I explained to him the above. Evidently it was expected. I have to tell you another really weird story. I felt really good one day and walked across the street to my neighbors after supper one night. When I entered their house, I commented on how wonderful her house smelled, and inquired what kind of room freshener she was using. She replied" its called bratwurst and onions", which theyd had for supper!. I didnt smell any of that, just this wonderful room freshner she said she had not used, and the whole time I sat at her table, all I could smell is that room freshner she never used. With this cancer my taster is shot, some things will taste normal, but mainly everything tastes horribly, even water. Then again like the instance of the bratwurst and onions smelled like fresh flowers. Since I still have 8 more chemo treatments to go over the next 8 weeks, Im not sure if Ill even be able to do much canning! Ive lost any muscle I had in my arms, and legs are too weak to stand for any length of time. not a lot gets done in the house these day, as even pushing the vacuum cleaner, or dusting, is too much for me. Three pushes and Im exhausted and out of breath, and have to sit down. Believe me, Kurt isnt helen homemaker either! Im just not up to it, so it sits. Seeing things dusty and needing special attention eats my eyeballs out, but I just cant do anything to change it.
I think Kurt has to learn the hard way at times, and as Ive said before there is no telling him anything. His way is the right way. There are blossoms on the strawberry plants now, and many things in the gardens are up and flourishing like crazy. Hes replanted the string beans, and a good many of the tomato plants lost to the deep freeze, and is awaiting new plants to replace the Ruby Monsters he lost, and purchased more Roma Tomatoes. The blueberry trees havent arrived yet. My being sick hasnt changed his garden, its only gotten even larger! I dont know what the heck hell do with all the stuff that needs to be canned if Im not up to it. Im concerned I wont be able to even open the pressure canner when done. A person never realizes how much they miss until theyve lost the ability to do those little things.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3047 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2016 :  2:13:36 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Judy--sounds like things are going down the right road. Let's pray it keeps up in this direction.

The owner of the landscaping company was very nice and offered to replace the lost plants. We asked him to wait and we'll see if some of them come back. If the guys just cut them off at the dirt level, they should. So far it looks like most of the hosta and calla lilies are returning. The ground cover will take longer, especially since the hot weather is here. If you let shamrocks and violets get big while it is cool they have a wonderful chance of surviving the summer in the shade (with adequate water). However, they don't pop their heads out of the ground in the heat of the summer. I think we just need to concentrate on keeping the dirt in the beds and off the patio, now that there is no ground cover to keep it anchored in place.

Whatever happens, that crew is not returning to this property. The yard guys are fabulous. Great job on mowing at the right height for the weather, edging, etc. The flower bed guys, not so great.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2016 :  05:48:34 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jnanne, it is very nice to see you post again. WE miss you! Its good to hear the landscaping company has offered to replace your plantings also. Lets hope when the weather cools most if not all will come back to life.
Are you still busy making quilts? Making them is quite the job, but very rewarding when you see the finished product. Do you get together with your church group to make them, and then donate them to the less fortunate, or are you doing this on your own to give to immediate, or extended family?
The blueberry trees arrived yesterday, and got planted last night. Theyre each a good 3-4' tall and have many buds on them. It looks like the first crop will be quite substantial. Kurt planted them not ten steps away from the deck bordering our huge cement patio, and will be munching on them as the berries appear, so I doubt if anything will get frozen for future eating this season. The strawberries are flowering like crazy, and the newly planted ones are doing very well also. Im quite disappointed that when theyre ready to pick, I wont be able to enjoy them. NOTHING I used to love to eat or drink is tolerable any longer as it upsets my stomach, or pancreas. Im going to miss eating strawberry shortcake, or having strawberry jam on toast. Darn!
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1666 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2016 :  06:27:10 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jnanne, good for you.

Judy, I am thinking the lack of taste is from the chemo. Don't you think so?

I have had a mouse eat 2 of my tomato plants in the living room. The plants are about 3" tall. I have to set mouse traps and put out some decon.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2016 :  06:54:06 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
McBarb. youre 100% correct chemo is the cause of the taste and smell changes. Plus, when sugar hits the taste buds at the very back of my tongue I know instantly I cant eat any, or Ill get nauseated.Since cancer loves sugar, it surprises me that a small amount causes problems.
All of those tomato plants we lost to the deep freeze her have healed themselves!Kurt pulled all the black limbs off since the stems were still green and now the limbs have regrown and beautiful full limbs and bushy leaves are in their place. More jars are going to be purchased this year again. I WISH those that we share the goods with returned the jars to us, but not too many think theyre reuseable Im afraid. Im also going to use those reuseable lids and rubber rings, since its getting pretty spendie buying the metal ones these days since more people are growing gardens and home canning. Jnnane I have a question for you. Growing up and working in your family garden did your parents put straw around each planting to prevent weeds? Or, did you kids have to pull weeds? Kurt put straw around everything. Now I ve read a new fad starting in our state. Many gardeners are purchasing small bales of straw, soaking it in water until the temperature rises 40 degrees higher than the outside temp and drain. Then they add a nitrogen mixture and plant seedlings in it. Hay bales cant be used as it doesnt have enough of the nutrients required for growing. Im sure theres something online about this practice if anyone is interested in Straw bale planting.I can see this as being expensive but also great for those that dont have a tiller or a lot of space to grow a garden.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1666 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2016 :  10:42:09 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I used to use hay to place around the plants. The only problem was the slugs.

I lost some plants last night cuz I put the tomatoes and peppers in a storage container so the mice would not eat them. They are half dead now ...I called Burpee and they said to put them somewhere else. I think I will put them in the closet and close the door. If the mice get in the closet .... I will have to buy something to put them in. What? I have no clue. The Dcon has been eaten but it takes a while for it to work.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2016 :  1:28:20 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
You must have some very hungry mice, and a lot of them. Placing the plants in the closet isnt going to do much good, because they (mice) can enter it through the bottom of the door.It is my understanding they can get through an opening as thin as a quarter. Do you have a deep pail you could place the plants in? Or, something taller than the plants and put one of those half window screens( hardware or WM under 5 dollars) over the top to prevent the mice getting in?If your plants are small and you only have one or two, possibly you have a good sized strainer with the fine mesh, and could use that to cover them with in a container. If the mice want something bad enough they can always chew through plastic. Thats all I have to offer off the top of my head. Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1666 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2016 :  07:51:17 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
One bowl of Dcon is gone. The other 3 were not touched. Everything was in my room and nothing entered my room. I put a towel under the door. I figured if there was Dcon they would eat that and not look for the tomatoes.
I might use a big bucket with lots of water in the bottom and place peanut butter inside the bucket about 3" down on the inside. That way the mouse (or whatever) will go in the bucket to get the peanut butter and fall in.... and drown.
I cut the bad leaves off the tomato plants that were wilted from being inside the storage container all night. Hopefully they will grow back. If not, I still have some the animal did not touch.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1666 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2016 :  06:50:37 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I took some coarse style steel wool and put (plugged) it in the holes where the cable comes in. I plugged the hole in my room and living room. I put Dcon on kitchen counter. No signs of any critters anywhere. YAY!! Will the plants come back? I have no idea. I can try.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 39  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums