Previous Page | Next Page

Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 39

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1645 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2016 :  09:04:12 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I spoke to guy about building me a greenhouse!! I am sooooo psyched. I can do this!!~ *
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3047 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2016 :  10:50:57 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
We never purchased straw to put around the plants in the garden. We had a very large yard, and several rakes. Whenever we mowed, we raked the grass and put that around the plants to keep weeds down and to keep moisture in. We still had to weed, but not as much as we would have without the natural compost.

The hosta and calla lilies are looking pretty good. One of the lilies may be blooming soon. I really love these plants, as they are a deep red and each individual bloom lasts several weeks (if the dogs don't eat them or the toddler doesn't pick it for his mom).

I sell quilts at shows, give them away as wedding, graduation, and baby shower gifts, sell them in my husband's shop, show them in a gallery, and make them just for fun. Yesterday I made a quilt with 1" squares that is 16" X 20" as part of a local artist group challenge. We were given a photo of an iris and told to create a work of art inspired by the photo, made in those dimensions. So far there were 44 finished pieces in the gallery album. I've known about it for a couple of months, but didn't really think I'd be able to participate, as the deadline was June 1 and I had commissioned quilts to complete (still have 2 due in the middle of June). However, I decided to take a day, make a quilt that was purely for my aesthetic taste, and post my photo to the group. Soon we will be given the gallery date for the show. There was one sculpture, a couple of collages, my quilt, and the rest paintings in many mediums. I like being unique!

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1645 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2016 :  11:57:05 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jnanne, great to see you post!! I love quilting also... it is like I am building something!! Do you have Georgia Bonesteel's book? I made templates of moon over mountain and many others. I still have them. I wish we could see your quilts.
I never saw a hosta with a red blossom... only purple ones up here.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

Eau Claire, WI. 54703-1729
USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2016 :  4:07:06 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jnanne, YOU are one very talented woman! I sincerely hope you win the show. It never ceases to amaze me the knowledge and experiences youve accumulated over the years.
A very dear friend who I used to date a few years ago, but remain friends with yet, always saves his grass clippings to put on his garden. Set aside clippings that had been sprayed with chemicals, and does not use in his garden.When planting time comes he just has to poke a hole in the piles that make up his garden to plant is seed and plants. He trains his cucumbers, string beans and tomatoes to grow up and over arches hes made from highway reinforcement wire to keep his vegetables off the ground, and for easier picking. You can walk under and around these arches that are placed in grassy areas so we can walk through, or retrieve vegetables easier. Funny how something new has to be thought up that costs money, when we have the materials right in our own yards that work great, and dont cost a penny.
Evidently, the garden at Grandmas farm isnt filled yet because Kurt ordered MORE seed and plants. Asparagus plants, corn, string beans which are our favorites developed by the university of WI., and more cauliflower.
I was sitting on the deck Saturday and noticed the monarch butterflies working the blueberry flowers. What a sight. One that Id never seen before, or was aware that the butterflies loved so much. Then I also noticed the flowers dont drop to the ground, instead they close up and become translucent, and form the berries.
Even at my age Ive learned something new.
Ive been spending most of my time in bed since Friday. Ill get up every once in awhile and read the news online, or sit outside until Im exhausted and have to head back inside to bed.Ive lost another 5# this week due to not being able to eat. My rib cage swells up and makes it hard to eat more than a couple of tablespoons of food. I went in today for my blood platelet injection and became so weak after stepping out of my car, I had to be helped inside. They called my Dr and wanted him to see me. Now Im having an ultra- sound tomorrow after my chemo treatment to find out why Im having so much pain in the area of my liver. Ive experienced this pain on and off for several months, but has progressed to daily pain, and now theyre just figuring out that I might have a problem, even though my CT scan showed nothing amiss. They call this "quality of life"! NOT even close. Very short of breath, weak and unstable with a lot of my time in bed. This is NOT living a quality life to me.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1645 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2016 :  06:55:01 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Judy, good that you saw the butterflies. They are gorgeous. I hope your pain and feeling the way you have in the post above is temporary and you are feeling better with time. God bless you JudyK!! XO
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3047 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2016 :  12:09:12 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
McBarb--it is the Calla Lilies that are red. Until these I had only seen white. My hosta are purple, yellow, and white, depending on the variety.

Judy--I pray what you are experiencing is primarily side-effects of a working chemo. Have you talked with the doctor about the temp of the foods you eat? I've had friends and family undergoing chemo who found that cold foods were easier to get down, like jello, ice cream, pudding, etc. Also, things they didn't have to chew, so didn't stay in the mouth long enough to really taste if they were having trouble with that. The more bland the foods were, in some cases, the more successful. Some used Boost, Carnation Instant Breakfast, or shakes made with yogurt and baby food. And there is always the old stand-by and favorite, pureed and watered down asparagus, as recommended in the article (that sounds like the least appetizing way to consume asparagus in my book).

The Iris Challenge isn't a competition--just a bunch of artists getting together to share their work. We are having a show at a local gallery on June 18 of all the pieces with the original inspiration photograph. This was strictly for fun! And it was a lot of fun to make.

We always used chicken wire for the garden--standing "tubes" about 3' diameter of the kind that was far enough apart that you could put your hand through and pull out a tomato. For watermelon, squash, honeydew, and cantaloupe we would use a tighter weave and make short arches--train the plants up through and hope a majority of the fruit grew above the wire. It also kept it up off the ground and away from most of the slugs.

We preferred bush green beans--can't remember the variety right now (that happens a lot these days). Peas grew next to a chain-link fence, as did cucumber. Easy to pick.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3047 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2016 :  12:13:24 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
McBarb--click on the e-mail icon on the line across from my name and you can send me an e-mail through Volition. I'll respond by sending some photos of a few quilts.

Judy--would you like to see some, too?

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2016 :  1:10:04 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jnanne, YES I would absolutely lve to see something too.
After spending two days at the clinic ( 9-4 yesterday and 930- 3 today), Ive now got an answer. The stent in my pancreas to the bile duct is plugged and needs to be replaced this week. Ive also got an infection and that explains ll of this mess. They gave me a transfusion of meds and ordered the pill form to go with the liquid meds. No chemo this week since my blood count was only 500 when its supposed to be 1000. Sure doesnt hurt my feelings! Maybe Ill get a few day I go in tomorrow again for another blood platelet injection (3 this week) that definitely answers as to why ive been so very weak, and unstable. By the way, no one has talked to me about anything I can eat or how the temps affect the taste. Its all been trial and error, long with talking to others who have/had cancer. And please dont tell me to drink asparagus! That sounds gross!Ive tried Boost, Ensure, Carnation Breakfast and the first two tasted like someone threw a whole bottle of vitamins in the bottle and added a little flavoring...yuk! The Carnation didnt appeal to me at all. I didnt realize what a fussy eater I am, until I got into this mess!
Im so glad I post what is going on here in the garden Jnanne, since youve been so helpful providing new ideas to try. I will definitely pass that info to Kurt.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1645 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2016 :  06:48:19 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Judyk, at least now you know what is going on. It may be more acceptable now.
I realized I cannot do a greenhouse. It isn't good idea for now as I am looking to move anyways. Drat, now I have all of these plants.
Jnanne, I sent you an email.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1645 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2016 :  11:20:54 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jnanne, I sent you an email from Volition and it came back undeliverable ... copy and paste below
"The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -"

Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3047 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2016 :  09:49:55 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
McBarb--glad you liked the quilts. I just sent them to JudyK. Sorry the greenhouse is not going to work out for you. My mother-in-law had one for years and she really enjoyed it, but it was a lot of work year-round. She's a master at orchids (something I know nothing about other than the many ways to kill them).

JudyK--glad you got some news from the doc and that there are things they can do immediately to alleviate some of the problems you are experiencing. I hope the treatments the choose work well the first try. Just keep them informed of everything that changes so they can let you know what is really an expected side-effect and what is wonky that they need to address! And I agree, watered down asparagus juice sounds particularly disgusting. Are you able to enjoy sugar-free ice cream or frozen yogurt?

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2016 :  10:03:49 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Yet ANOTHER box comes in the mail! This kid of mine is going nuts buying vegetables online. Hes not been happy with the asparagus plants that he purchased because theyre not producing as much as he wants. So, he ordered another 50 plants from Burpee. What a difference in the length of the root system! The new plants have roots a good foot or better long, and will produce next year. The garden space he has for the present aspara gus had to be widened and lengthened to make room. He cut the sod into long 2' x 6' lengths and rolled it up and put in an area he removed a huge tree this winter.
The Ruby Monster tomatoes here at the house are about 2' tall and have a ton of flowers on them. the cherry tomato plants are almost 3' tall and also loaded. I could go on and on about how great this yrs veggies are doing, but weve been very fortunate to be getting at least an inch of rain every other day, so tht is really doing its job.
I had the stent replacement thursday evening. They put in what they call a permanent one. Its much larger than the temporary, so I shouldnt have any more problems, at least, thats what they say. Ive been down in bed as usual, and having trouble eating or drinking (even water) anything Ive tried. Ive developed this intolerance for salt and sugar, even no sugar added. If something has salt in it, the taste is like a whole pound of its been added, same with the other no sugar added foods. There isnt a whole lot eaten so far thats agreed with my stomach, so Im constantly nauseated. I had a very informative talk with my gastroenterologist before surgery about this so called "quality of life" Im having. He said "welcome to your new reality", and discussed with me some of the things I can look forward to, or not. Im not getting any good answers from my oncologist about the truth, he just says he doesnt know. Yeah right! He just doesnt get it, I WANT to know the answers so I can plan out whatever time I have, and make choices before the real bad stuff comes, and Im not capable. My Advanced health care directives dont cover everything, thats for sure. Ive lost another 6# in just two days, and size in clothing. I did manage to keep down a shake I made last night using orange twister sherbert. Pretty darn good even though I watered it down quite a bit with milk to cut the citrus taste that again, my stomach is quite testy about receiving. I did manage to sleep like a baby last night though! Thats even after I sleep 2 hours out of every three during the day. The one hour Im up I take time to check out the news and volition before having to head back to bed.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2016 :  05:07:45 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I really enjoyed viewing the various quilt pictures sent, and know you've made many a child very happy with having their favorite hero to keep them warm at night.
Because I'm unable to get out to the gardens o view for myself how things are going, I depend on Kurt to keep me informed. I sure is doing those things I so enjoyed!, and hope as time goes by Ill get to at least partake in some of them. Kurt says the strawberries wil be ready for picking next week, and of course updates me on how very thing else is doing each trip he makes to weed or water.
I began to feel better yesterday afternoon all due to my x-husbands wiffe. I asked her a huge favor to make me some chicken noodle soup without any seasoning, and she kindly obliged me. I hated to ask such a huge favor, but I was desperate for something to eat that didn't have salt or sugar. I sent all the makings so all she really had to do was open jars, remove bones and add noodles, and more chicken broth to throw it together, but, oh yummy it set well. My taster is so bad that if there's sugar or salt, I get an upset stomach, and having the soup unseasoned to my standard tasted perfectly seasoned. Either the cancer or the chemo really did a number on me so at least now I know how to enjoy some foods now by eliminating those two ingredients from my cooking. I hate relying on others and it took a lot to ask her to make the soup, even though she'd asked and told me many times to not hesitate. 'She doesn't home can anything,and was shocked at how easy and time saving it was to throw the soup together. I got a kick when she wasn't too thrilled about using home canned chicken, as you know it doesn't look the prettiest canned in those jars, but then she raved over how good it was . I sent a couple extra quarts of chicken along so they could enjoy a meal or two using her own recipes. She's a great southern cook and has many good tricks when cooking and baking. We up north cook and do a lot of things differently than those living in the south, as I've learned.

Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3047 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2016 :  4:02:23 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Judy--glad you found something you can eat and enjoy. Hope this stops the weight loss and that it transfers to many other recipes. And I am glad you have a relationship with someone who can help. I wrote an editorial several years ago about how difficult it is to ask for and accept assistance--but that sometimes in our lives it is necessary. Don't be afraid or embarrassed to ask for help. No one expects you to be superwoman all the time. And if we are all fiercely independent, we rob each other of the opportunity to help others!

Now, maybe a nice cream of asparagus soup...or chicken and asparagus soup...

And I am glad you enjoyed the quilts. I certainly enjoy making them.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2016 :  1:01:29 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Would you believe the asparagus I just told you about a few days ago is already three inches above ground already? Kurt just planted it last friday, and theres anywhere from 3-5 spears growing from each plant that we see so far. Now, he wishes hed ordered more of it. The cherry tomatoes bushes have small tomatoes on them and are loaded also. I took a walk out to the strawberry patch last evening to see how the berries were doing while Kurt lifted the bushes for me to see them. The plants he put in that were supposed to produce peach sized berries are about the size of the biggest youve purchased in the grocery store, which is fine and dandy with me, I cant imagine eating a berry much larger and still have it called a berry.
Back to Chemo tomorrow, but before having it I raised kind of a fuss that my oncologist wont talk to me about my "future" when I talked to the social worker yesterday. What are we cancer patients to do when we want and need to know what our future will be like so we can finish out our lifes end plans? Do we need two or more doctors who will talk to us, and serve our medical needs to get the info? Well, I knew the answers, and felt my doctor was protecting me, and I dont want that, I want that "direct" conversation, and we will be having one tomorrow, thanks to the social workers speaking with my Oncologist. He may not know how well or how long this so-called remission will last, but, he surely knows the information from experience with other cancer patients hes treated with this particular cancer. Kurt is going with me so he can hear firsthand what were to expect in the days to come. Having this info for him will also emphasize that I am NOT well, and Im not going to be experiencing much of this "quality of living" anymore than Im already having, if not worse. It almost feels like he thinks I should be doing more around here,and Im milking this being sick stuff. He doesnt realize how serious this cancer is, and what its doing to me.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3047 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2016 :  6:19:04 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Good to hear you are being proactive--and that your son has agreed to hear what the doctor has to say. I pray that what you hear is better than what you anticipate.

And congrats on the asparagus--soon you'll be making those tasty asparagus spritzers!

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2016 :  12:52:04 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jnanne, what is it with that asparagus drink you love to throw around? It genuinely sounds GROSS, and one of the last things Id ever think to drink. The new asparagus plants is already producing spears, in fact, kurt cut off a good dozen spears this morning already from them. More will be ready tomorrow or the next day.
Even though Ive went into that "remission", the numbers havent changed.One year from the date of diagnosis.He did tell me that hell give me some time off after the next CT scan in a few weeks. Hopefully it will be longer than a week as it will be about the time the garden really starts producing and requires bigtime canning. This is a period of time I really wanted to live long enough to do. I went to the store a bit ago and purchased 30# of chicken breast to make up for dehydrated dog treats. Im going to get that started tomorrow morning once I partially thaw them out for easier cutting. Ive also got breakfast bowls to make for myself to save money. I bought the ingredients for my favorite store purchased ones selling at $4 a pop, and just the makings cost me enough to pay for the first 3, but mine are going to be cheaper, get more, and are fresh, and frozen.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1645 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2016 :  07:00:25 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I am going to put some of my plants outside today for the first time. I know it is very late but have been doing other things. Wish me luck with the neighbors and their dogs!! I will leave them out for an hour. Some of the pots will stay outside.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2016 :  4:23:19 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Since my last update on the strawberries that were supposed to get as big as peaches, well, two far many are very close to getting that big! Kurt brought some in last night that took up the space from his forefinger to his baby finger in length, and well into the center of his palm wide. Others were as big as a golf ball and larger. No real big amount yet to pick, but seeing what is going on out there is possibly going to make this quite an interesting picking season. The few he's brought in have been extremely sweet and solid.
The newly planted asparagus has so far furnished us with three good meals that we saluted on the grill on aluminum foil in butter and added salt/pepper/garlic salt and shredded cheddar cheese melted on it., or just with the seasonings To die for delicious and, oh so tender.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2016 :  11:03:36 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Everybody quit gardening?? Not a word posted for a couple of weeks.
Kurts been picking between two and 4 buckets of berries daily, and all huge, solid, and sweet. Hes even been making freezer jam! Hey, if getting sick was what it took for him to start cooking around here, Id do it all over again...lol.
McBarb are you in the process of moving and arent posting the progress of your plants? sure miss hearing about your adventures.
Ive been in and out of the hospital the last week. Now theyve got surgery scheduled for july 12th to remove my problematic gall bladder. Theyre hoping to be able to remove it laparoscopically, but feel it may be too damaged from chemo to safely remove it without doing the bigger surgery. MAYBE then Ill start to feel better.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 39  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums