Previous Page | Next Page

Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 39

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1670 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2016 :  07:26:06 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I finally found someone to put up some fencing around the side of the building where my apartment is. My neighbor's son said he would help. I tried to put something out in the middle of the yard but the neighbors refused to move their horseshoes and boat. Now I have to wait til the weather agrees. T-storms are for this afternoon and maybe tomorrow so maybe we can put up fencing Wed., Thursday or Friday. I have been taking the plants and leaving them outside for a couple of hours, then bringing them back upstairs. One tomato plant died but that is ok. I have more. The peppers are doing really well and I will be putting them in larger pots later today.
Judy, I am so glad you got asparagus. I hope all is well for you!!
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3047 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2016 :  11:27:46 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I really haven't done much gardening lately. The folk who pick at the church garden, however, have been bringing in loads of cucumbers, squash, green beans, eggplant, and herbs. It won't be long at all before peppers and tomatoes are ready to pick.

The strawberries at home have been producing very well, keeping the four-year-old quite happy. Unfortunately, they put them in the raised bed, and now his mom has purchased a house. I don't know whether they are taking the raised bed with them--but they are taking my mother-in-law. Chris and I don't have use for the mother-in-law apartment we built without her to live in it, so Chris wants to sell the house and move. I feel like I am very vested in the flower gardens all over the property and I don't want to leave them. But hey, we've been beautifying Shreveport one house at a time since 2007. Why stop now!?

And Judy, the comments about the nasty asparagus drinks are intended to make you laugh. Are they working?

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

Eau Claire, WI. 54703-1729
USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2016 :  06:27:41 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
McBarb and Jnanne, its so good to see you post again. I thought you two may have abandoned me here. McBarb, have you decided not to move that you are going to have a fence put in for garden space in the back yard? Unless that fence is going to be higher than 4' you should be able to perform the task yourself, thats if you have the time. WHEN I was in better health, I purchased a big roll ( I think it was 150-250 ft roll) of varmint fencing that has the small openings at the bottom to prevent anything much bigger than a mouse to crawl through, and a bunch of tall hard plastic poles,along with a few bags of pole clips to attach to the fencing, that I didnt have a problem installing by myself. Since the garden has grown Kurt added another layer of wider opening fence on top of that which makes the fence 8' tall now to keep the deer out. When he added the extra layer he did use metal poles for bracing though. Just an idea in case you get tired of waiting for help.Since there are more fruits in the garden, especially, the birds that love strawberries and blueberries, weve since added fine fish net that covers the top to prevent them from getting in.
Now Jannne, its your turn to enjoy strawberries! I hope you get a good crop and have many quarts to put aside for future use. I made up one quart of smashed berries and added just one-eigth cup of raw sugar thinking I could eat them.The first custard dish full was absolutely delicious, but the second one didnt settle good at all, and I paid dearly for eating them the next day. Kurt is getting tired of picking berries!Hes frozen up 50 quarts, and has made several batches of freezer jam. Ive been helping when Ive felt up to it by stemming the berries,and cleaning them so Im one jump ahead so he can be ready to do another batch,and then jump from one step to the next so we finish up the job together and no mess. We work very well together,and foresee we will do just great when it comes to the rest of the canning season. Neither of us stands around wondering what to do next, and he IS listening to me about safe food handling! Shock. We were telling the neighbors about our endeavor and he made mention that Im a good teacher...another shock. Maybe, like most of us just performing the tasks the first time or two, he too just needed to see how its all done in sequences. I think the next task to be dealt with will be to cut dill and get that frozen up, since the cucumbers will be coming in later. I dont mind doing that because when it is time to make pickles all I have to do is take one or more layers of paper towel filled with dill, to fill as many jars as we need. There wont be any hunting for extra dill this year!
Jnanne, I honestly thought you were serious about drinking asparagus because its healthy. Sure am happy my daughter doesnt read this category, or I KNOW shed be trying to force me to drink it! She eats all that healthy stuff. All I want is food I can keep down, or tolerate. You know "normal" meal stuff. I havent been put on any special diet, but yet, I am struggling to find much I can eat other than Dianes homemade chicken noodle soup she makes for me every week, and a breakfast bowl I purchase at the grocery store. Since I make sure she has all the ingredients for the soup that Id previously home canned, it seems to settle the best with my fussy stomach, as long as its relatively not seasoned. Ive also managed to change her mind about using home canned chicken now that shes seen how lean it is, and flavorful.It may not look pretty in the jar but, she too loves the added flavor it adds to the soup. I dont know what Id do without her help! Shes been a lifesaver. I gave her two gift cards yesterday, one for the grocery store to pick up anything she needs for making soup, and another just to show my appreciation for the time and effort she puts into it.
I go in July 6th to have a CatScan done to see how well the chemo is doing on killing the remaining cancer.I wont be given any chemo until after the surgery on the 12th. Drs plan on removing my gall bladder IF the antibiotics work well at firming it up.If its done its job, I may may able to have it removed laparoscopically, if not, then the bigger incision will be necessary to remove it, which they think is more likely.Ill be hospitalized for 4 days then a week at home to recuperate. I will be admitted to the hospital and not short stay, just in case the laproscopic surgery wont be able to be used due to it being too mushy and damaged from the chemo, and the attacks Ive had.

Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2016 :  3:00:23 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jnanne, or anyone one else following this post,I have a question for you. since a good many of us grew up in times where homecanning was a daily chore for families did your Grandmother or other relative, even can up butter or make butter to be canned?? If so, do you have the recipe, and how to do it? My son purchases butter at the store and cans that up, but Im not sure this would be the same.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1670 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2016 :  3:32:57 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Judy, no I have no memory anyone of canning butter.

I bought a 48" X 50' roll of 16 gauge fencing, fencing staples, 2 2 X 4 x 8's and 4 posts. Someone named Joe stopped by today and asked if I needed help. I said YES!!!! He should stop by tomorrow. We'll see. The plants are doing fine. I put them out again today til 4 PM. They are used to the sun by now. It has been 4 days I have carried them up and down stairs!! ~
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2016 :  5:51:12 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Personally, I think you could have gotten by a LOT cheaper, along with being much easier to disassemble if you should decide to move. Pulling the heavy duty plastic poles, loosening the plastic clips that hold the fencing, and rolling up the fencing is less work than pulling staples. We take ours down every year and store it, and ours is huge, goes up relatively fast and works great year after year. Kurts been able to add on easily too at the top for added height to prevent deer entering it. My first two little gardens each up next to the house are about your intended size, and I did that by myself for little of nothing. I hope you dont end up paying this Joe too much for a job you could have spent an afternoon playing with.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2016 :  06:26:25 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
McBarb, I apologize for thinking my way is the "only" way to do something right. SOMETIMES I get carried away, and I sure didnt mean to offend you if I did.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1670 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2016 :  2:37:36 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I returned everything and got my money back to pay rent. The guy showed up but had no tools so he said he would come back which he did but it was too late. The plants are outside and doing ok but they have a lot of growing to do before I will get tomatoes. At the moment.... it is not looking good. Time will tell.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1670 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2016 :  07:55:24 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The tomatoes are loving it being outside. They are growing like weeds... peppers too. I lost one jalapeno plant. All the leaves shrivelled up and died off. I still hope it will come back but not so far. Zinnias and marigolds are growing fast too...so are hollyhocks. Hollyhocks are very small but growing. They are all still alive!! >>>> YAY!
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1670 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2016 :  10:34:57 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Judy, I think the idea of plastic fencing is smart and I appreciate the thought!! Maybe I can do that when I get the .
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2016 :  11:35:22 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
First of all McBarb, I am VERY sorry you had to take all your garden purchases back to pay your rent. Sometimes we miscaluculate and buy something and end up regretting it because we then find we needed that money afterall. Ive been there myself a few times in my life too. You misunderstood, the fencing you had would have worked great, but, you could have saved money on 4-5'long round plastic half inch diameter poles that could be weaved in between the wire, then pushed into the ground. They also have packages of clips that youd slide on the pole and then attach them to the fencing at desired intervals. Theyre very sturdy, and easily pulled up by hand in the fall to put all away out of sight. We got ours at the home improvement store and have had them for three years and added on as needed since. Since youve been thinking of moving something easy to haul and store would have been a plus to use at your new place.
How is your little garden growing now? You mentioned not too well, so have you thought to give them any plant food?
UPDATE: Ive been in/out the hospital lately due to my gallbladder. After many changes of mind, the Drs have decided to remove it next friday. It kind of irritated me to have discussed with my Dr ever since January that Ie had this pain, but he never checked it out,he just blew me off. Then to have an attack and end up in ER only to find out the bladder is highly infected and coudnt be removed due to safety of my life. Then, they decided theyd remove it two days later, and again decided wait. By then the gallbladder was highly infected and they didnt dare do anything with it. Then, they said theyre going to put a drain in, and decided against that. THEN, they decided the long surgery would have to be done instead of it being taken out laparoscopically, since they were afraid the gallbladder would explode and spread septic throughout my body, and again they changed their mind. Finally after a week in the hospital, two weeks of mind changing and an ultra sound and CT scan, theyve decided to remove it laparoscopically next week. Evidently, having chemo plus the infection and damage done with the attack there were no good options. As far as the cancer is going more has disappeared, and they say I am responding very good to this one.At the end of July Ill be having another CT scan to see how its progressing and then theyll make some decsions (??) From what Ive already experienced we shall see, right?
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1670 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2016 :  1:00:57 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Judy, that is good news the cancer is somewhat gone.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3047 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2016 :  5:21:39 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
JudyK--congrats on surviving the whiplash from watching the volley of mind-changing with the health pros. And for having fewer cancer cells than before. Keep it up!

McBarb--I hope the garden continues to thrive and that it produces exactly the amount of veggies you need.

As for canning butter--I have churned butter, but we never canned it. It is easy to make. You can pretty much take whipping cream and shake it up in a mason jar until it turns to butter (how we did it with fresh cream when I was a kid), or save your arm and use a mixer. Go past the whipped cream peak stage and keep on till it becomes creamy butter texture. You'd probably want to add some salt. I prefer it without.

You can freeze butter. Canning it scares me a bit. Since you don't heat it (like you do the chicken), I would expect it would become rancid in the jars before very long. Somehow dairy and canning don't go together well in my mind. Doesn't mean it is impossible--just means I have never seen it done.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1670 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2016 :  08:53:01 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
So far green beans sprouted and peppers are going to flower soon. Tomatoes are doing ok but need sun and plant food. It rained for 3 days and today is cloudy. Sun will return later and next few days. I had a pot with yellow beans. It fell over so I brought it up in my living room. I looked at it this morning and the yellow beans sprouted too even tho they fell over. I will carefully go thru the soil and replant some seeds, then put it back outside. I placed rocks all along the garden's edge and it looks nice.
I will go down later today to check on everything. I do plan to put a fence up later. I WILL keep people out and away from my plants.

Jnanne, great to see your posts ... as always. How hot is it in LA.?
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3047 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2016 :  12:01:08 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It's been around 100 for a while now. The garden at the church is huge and producing like crazy. No ripe tomatoes, yet, but lots of cucumber. Most of the squash and zucchini plants died in the early spring, so we don't have a big crop of those, lots of eggplant, okra, green beans, though. Peppers should be ready to pick soon.

The cucumbers are at the point of leave them on the neighbors porch, ring the bell, and run.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1670 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2016 :  1:21:13 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jnanne, that sounds really great to me!! Congrats. I do recall living in LA. and looking at the okra growing. I thought it was something from outer space. LOL...

~ I have an update on my plants. I just checked everything and nothing was damaged from the hard rains and winds we had. I tied up some plants and saw 2 tiny buds on both salsa tomatoes!! YAY!!!!!! It has been 6 days the plants are outside.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1670 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2016 :  1:17:33 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have a problem with the local squirrel now. I am not going to hesitate to buy a trap.... have a heart trap... then I will remove the darned thing from the property and take it soooo far away, he will never come back. It knocked over my tray of yellow beans ...which is now inside my kitchen until I get the trap. I also see the darned thing has been digging in my geraniums... not for much longer >>> my dear Mr. Squirrel. HAH!

I also had a problem with earwigs. I know how to get rid of them. I use a yogurt cup and put in vegetable oil. They drowned in it. They have been eating my petunias and pepper leaves.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1670 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2016 :  2:20:01 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
NO signs of the squirrel and plants are loving the hot sunny weather with the rain ..... Yay and YAY!!~
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2016 :  3:34:29 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Its good to see you post again Jnanne as always. We miss your postings. Im so glad the church garden is doing so well. I wondered about it when you were talking about flooding in the area. Hearing how well the cucumbers are doing makes me wish I was one of those that got a surprise package. Ours here arent anywhere near producing yet, theyve just flowered recently, and have plenty of itty-bitty cucumbers. Kurt has been cutting a LOT of dill which Ive been freezing up, but so far nothing is producing to eat yet, other than the cherry tomatoes. String beans will be ready soon with canning officially starting. I HOPE recovery from this surgery tomorrow goes without incident, and I am up to speed to can! I also HOPE Kurt will be up to the job,as I noticed he got tired of looking at strawberries and left some out in the patch, and that was only 65 quarts he froze up with the same number in freezer jam in small 8 ounce glasses. One day there I persuaded him to pick just two more pails by bribing him with making strawberry pies.Thankfully, I had enough steam to make three pies and get the mess all cleaned up, before I went downhill.Boy. did he enjoy eating those. Ive got permission now to used berries he froze to munch on for pies. lol
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1670 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2016 :  05:54:25 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jnanne, I will take some cukes!!

edited to say ... Judy, I will take some strawberries and dill!! I got some fresh dill last year and I put it in everything!! It is so good.... potato salad, scrambled eggs, tomato sauce, veggies....porcupine meatballs with dill is yummy!!!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 39  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums