Previous Page | Next Page

Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 39

JudyK
Star Contributor

Eau Claire, WI. 54703-1729
USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2016 :  05:57:13 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
The surgery went well, and they were able to do it laparoscopically. Dr only mentioned it was a mess. I came home Saturday, sat around for about a half hour, and then I went out and jumped on the mobility scooter Kurt surprised me with, (and a newly built ramp to drive it up on the deck at night to park) and then I took off down the road to visit my neighborhood friends. I havent been able to walk around to visit any of them, theyve all been good at coming to visit me these past months.The pain is minimal and not enough to make me head for bed, but did take a lot more energy out of me than Id have thought. Im thinking once I heal up, Im going to feel great.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1645 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2016 :  09:07:57 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Judy, good for you and a scooter? Good for Kurt. That was an excellent idea!!

I checked the plants and again I have many buds on both salsa tomato plants. The jalapenos will flower soon. It is raining today so the rain water will be good.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1645 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2016 :  10:41:28 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I forgot to say I moved all the peppers, tomatoes, geraniums and hollyhocks out to the one sand pit which used to be my neighbor's horseshoe pit. The girl in the front and in the back of my building are friends from waaaaaay back. They got in to a huge fight.The one in the front changed her phone # and they do not speak. It turns out the horseshoe stuff belongs to the one in the front with whom I am friends!! She pulled everything out of the ground & took the horseshoes ..... bye bye for the horseshoe crowd!! I put my plants right there where it used to be in the front. The plants are doing great. I took a load of rocks & placed them all around my plants. It looks so nice. They get 2 - 3 hours more sun every day. When it is not raining & windy, I will rake up her sand and put it in the other horseshoe ring in the back. I want to put the plants in a raised bed garden. I will add a lot of soil on top of where the sand used to be, then put the plants in. If she decides to buy a set of horseshoes, poles etc. she can use the back of the yard cuz the front of the yard is presently OCCUPIED BY MY PLANTS!! I asked her nicely several times to move her stuff as the landlady told me to. She did nothing. Oh well... now she does not have to. hahahahaha
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2016 :  5:23:05 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
McBarb, Im very happy for you to get space for your garden. I hope your neighbor wont get mad enough that you got it, she might choose to destroy it. You work so hard to get things going and growing it will be nice to hear how your veggies do now.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1645 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2016 :  06:01:27 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Got fencing all around and over the top of the plant area. Looks kind of like a small house.... my greenhouse... except it is not green. It will keep the kids and their parents away from the plants. I had a problem with the neighbor lady in the back that wants to get her own horseshoes. She says she is leaving and looking for another apartment. That is fine with me. I need to repot tomatoes and peppers today. Roots are coming thru the bottom of the pots.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2016 :  11:07:24 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Thats GREAT news~! Now the million dollar question--are you considering taking her apartment if it has more room, a better layout,or having the convenience to just walk out your door to care for your plants?
UPDATE: Now I am unable to walk! Ive got neuropathy in my feet and fingers, and has now involved the back of my legs up to my knees.Talk about excruciating pain. Dr is looking into medicare for (wheelchair) qualifications, but he said that takes time and a lot more than just a signature, so that could take awhile. He told me to look online to purchase a used wheel chair. I got one yesterday.Its been a bit frustrating let me tell you.So far Ive dropped 2 ful1 16 Ounce glass of water out of my hand, and bowl of raspberries with milk and sugar all over myself, and the floor. I also fell backwards to the flor, and thankfully the basement door was closed or Id have continued on into it had the door been left open.Scary! The meds he prescribed wont start working for two weeks, so the effect from them is minimal.The upside is that I feel great since the gallbladder is out. But not being able to walk is now the culprit keeping me down. Heck of a trade off! EVERYTHING has now fallen on Kurts shoulders, which has been hard for me to accept, but thats part of the game now. I dont think he fully understood the ramifications of letting me stay home till the end. Someone from the Aging and Disability department is making a home call to see me next week to see what programs will help me. I really would love help with the housework, and my laundry, as its impossible to get into the basement any longer.I was also qualified t get handicap cards for drivig, but thats going to be awhile before I do that under the circumstances.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1645 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2016 :  06:22:54 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Judy, I am not moving into the apartment in the back. I will leave this building when the time comes.

I am sorry this has happened to you but you are eligible for a lot of things to come. My friend has to take a lot of magnesium and potassium for her neuropathy. She is still working tho.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3045 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2016 :  06:11:08 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
McBarb--hope the new neighbors will be more respectful. Maybe even become good friends. Glad the garden is going well.

JudyK--It has been a long time since I was a social worker--1980s. However, back then Jazzy Chairs were easy to get. The company would have you complete a pretty simple questionnaire and if they believed it was covered by insurance or SS, etc., they would go ahead and give you the chair at the cost of your copay. If it turned out they were wrong, they would let you keep the chair at the cost of the copay. No additional charges. Don't know if they still do that, but it may be worth looking into. Jazzy Chairs are motorized and are small enough to get around many homes without making structural changes, but are strong enough to take out the door and visit places close by your house. They are also easier to transport than many similar products, as they weigh less. Or at least all this was true when I went into law enforcement in 1989.

Hopefully the folk who come to visit will have several options for you to look at to make the house easier for you to negotiate. Maybe even a chair lift for the basement stairs?

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3045 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2016 :  06:13:10 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Posted the above and THEN saw the post about the scooter. Don't know how I missed it before.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2016 :  05:42:34 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
My son gave me some heartbreaking news last night. He has decided he doesnt have the time to work the garden and is telling family members to help themselves! That means no canning! And then again, it tells me how much he depended on me to do the canning this year. Remember I told him to make the garden so he could manage it, and not enlarge it, but to make it smaller, because I had no idea what my situation would be come canning season? Then to have this neuropathy hit just as the string beans are ready to be picked, and he decides he hasnt the time. Im heartbroken in the sense I know Im not capable of doing the work, but know this is the best. Sadly he has a lot of money tied up in seed and plants for not listening. Sadly, I wot have anything to say about the garden any longer, unless my health improves so I am able to do at least some of the work, and Kurt is willing to pick.
I absolutely love my scooter, and also have a wheelchair for in the house. I bought a good used one that will do fine. Besides I was/am in too much pain to wait to be approved.My daughter flew in the day I had my surgery, and has been a big help.She also feels I wont be put back on chemo due to this new neuropathy. Now that shes back in Az., shes talked to her Drs and theyre recommending the use of only one part of the chemo Im presently taking, as the other part is the one that contains the toxin that caused this neuropathy. They feel I can get rid of this by doing so. They also recommend the use of a new chemo to be used on me that causes fewer side effects. We shall see how my local oncologist feels about this tomorrow. lol.Like before, Ill have to stand up to him.
Jnanne, the hospital recommended I contact Aging and Disability for help with over the counter medicines which are the majority of my needs and breaking my budget the most. I have 2 pain medications prescribed, and about 15 over the counter purchases that arent cheap. But then to find out I may be eligible for other services needed blew my mind. Im unable to do my laundry, and housework so I may get help there, which would be very appreciated. Kurt isnt a very good housekeeper at all!Every piece of furniture has a fur coat, and the vacuum gets run maybe once a month. Dishes can go days without touching them, and it drives me nuts to see the house taken care of this way.

Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3045 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2016 :  06:52:54 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It is not uncommon for someone in your situation to qualify for help with housework. Don't be afraid to ask--they can only say no, and might say yes.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1645 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2016 :  1:51:04 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have a flower on one of my beefsteak tomato plants. I will do a search to try to figure out how long it will take it be a tomato. I am hoping at least I will have green beefsteak tomatoes and I can fry them. I never grew beefsteak tomatoes.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2016 :  2:20:22 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Now that I havent much to contribute about the garden, I feel I shouldnt be posting about the cancer stuff. What do you think about posting a new subject where others could post their experiences with cancer too?
I havent been feeling good for the past few days,and the Oncologist is saying the gas they pumped into me for the gall bladder has settled into my lung causing the majority of the pain. I say the oncologist is nuts! Everything Ive tried to eat has NOT agreed with me for one problem, and it hurts to breath that started the week before that surgery. Kurt researched the neuropathy I have in my legs and whatever he searched for told him that the gall bladder is responsible. A good many patients get Rheumatoid Arthritis, or neuropathy,both of which are very painful. I can attest to the neuropathy pain.
There are family members helping themselves to the vegetables in the garden which is good to know the stuff wont go to waste.I THINK Kurt is going out to pick green beans for us tonight after work, at least I hope. I saw him grab a different pair of shoes to wear. My x-husband who grew up on the farm, picked a couple of grocery bags full, and asked Kurt what kind they were because one string bean they tried was superior to the other. Kurt told him, and he was shocked it wasnt the green lake beans. It was the bean the University of Wisconsin-Madison,Wi that won. They were made specifically to home can, and stay crisp. His wife, cooked up a few meals in a pan on the stove and they absolutely loved them. Kurt ordered them online if anyone is interested in trying them.

Next week a lady will be coming to test me on what I am capable of doing around the house to qualify for help. This type of help is more important to me than anything. Im going to try meals on Wheels that brings food in starting tomorrow, along with a menu so I can pick through it to see what Im able to eat. It just seems theres very little Im able to eat without getting sick.
Oncologist has taken me off chemo for two months for my body to recover, gain strength and for the neuropathy to go away. He says part of the chemo Im taking is the toxin that is causing the neuropathy. At the end of the 2 months Ill have a CTscan to see if the cancer has grown, then well try a chemo treatment with less side effects at that point.This is a very agressive cancer so we shall see. It wont increase my longevity, but is supposedly to give me quality of life, which I havent enjoyed much of these past 6 months!
The tomatoes here at the house that I insisted Kurt plant are doing very well. The Monster Ruby Reds are about the size of big apple so far. The Romas are also doing very well and starting to ripen. The two cherry tomato plants are also going crazy. The plants themselves are as tall as the tomato ruby red, with tons of small to large tomatoes for Kurt to snack on. I just hope Im able to at least can up some of these tomatoes when the time comes.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1645 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2016 :  06:23:37 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Since the beefsteak tomato seeds I planted were free .... I am especially happy with having a flower. I emailed Burpee and they said it will take 3- 5 weeks to get full grown. YAY!
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2016 :  07:12:12 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Last night Kurt found two red good sized Monster Ruby Red tomatoes ripe and about a dozen Romas he picked from the small garden here at the house. He also picked an ice cream pail full of string beans from the farm garden. I cleaned and cooked them, sliced the Ruby reds and added just hamburger steaks to our meal, and enjoyed it all for supper last night. It tasted soooo good. My first thought was to make BLT's but backed away from that because of my touchy stomach. I have to mention these Monster Ruby Red tomatoes are VERY meaty, and delicious. Im so glad I didnt sprinkle sugar on the whole slice as it would have caused my stomach to not be happy with me.
Ill bet McBarb you can hardly wait for the time to pass to enjoy the tomatoes youll get to enjoy.Im sure the time seems like a long time but that will pass very fast. There is nothing like the taste of a homegrown one for flavor. What other vegetables do you have growing in your garden?
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1645 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2016 :  08:42:54 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Judy, I LOVE roma tomatoes. I eat them in salads and sauce. They are solid and not all juice.

~ I have 3 beefsteak tomatoes (free seeds Plantation, 3 jalapeno pepper (seeds from last year's pepper plant), 3 sweet green peppers (Burpee California Wonder), 3 spider plants (Hart seeds), basil (Planation seeds), green beans (Page seeds), 2 yellow pear tomatoes (Burpee), 2 salsa hybrid tomatoes (Burpee) and last but not least is sweet hybrid mix pepper... yellow/green/red/orange & purple peppers on the plant (Burpee). I put plant food & water in the pots today. It is hot and sunny!! More flowers coming out on the tomato. YAY!!!!!!! I hope to see flowers soon on the pepper plants. They are LOADED with buds!! Best pepper plants I ever grew!
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2016 :  11:50:18 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
It sounds like your having great luck and should have several good meals coming when all are ready to pick. I take it none of these are planted in the ground as you mentioned watering them in pots.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1645 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2016 :  11:53:46 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Judy, I forgot to mention geraniums (Burpee border mix seeds) & outhouse hollyhocks (Hart seeds), zinnias (Hart heirloom seeds) & marigolds (Burpee best)! I LOVE to grow flowers right in with the vegetables. The plants looks happy and get along quite well. The cleome is getting huge..... may have flowers soon.... cleomes will be either light pink, dark pink (fuschia), white or purple. Zinnias will be assorted colors and marigolds are a truly beautiful yellow and orange.

~ You may want to talk to people at your church or Hospice. There are also cancer support groups. I think they may be rewarding to have someone to talk to that is going thru the same or similar thing as yourself.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1645 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2016 :  3:34:44 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I went to visit some friends last night. I asked what was the tray under the table? She said I could have them as she was going to put them in the compost pile. I got 3 lobelia, verbena, pink cleome with 4 flowers on it, a tray of snapdragons, rosemary plant, chives and a basket with citronella in it. I went o get dirt today and got some more plants for free... 2 cherry tomatoes with tomatoes on the plants, peppermint, roma tomato and 2 parsley (curly leaf). WOW and YAY!!
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2016 :  07:39:33 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
McBarb, you just fall into good luck. Hope your apartment is large enough to house such a quantity.
You mentioned loving Roma tomatoes, well ours our producing alot of them. The Monster Ruby Reds Ive spoken about have the same qualities. I sure am glad I insisted Kurt plant at least 6 of each here at the house! Weve already had two good meals with lots of extras from both. As you know we had that deep freeze earlier this spring, and although they came back, they wont be ready for a couple more weeks to pick, and I dont think Ill see kurt doing it. After one picking of stringbeans, because I wanted some for here at the house, weve been gorging on them. Gosh, I wish I were able to can, but, at least were enjoying those he brings home.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 39  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums