Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 39

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2016 :  2:54:57 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Anyone want some of our rain water? Maybe I can figure out how to ship it north. It is coming down in torrents, so our plants are really taking a beating right now. I looked at the Desert Petunias that I put in a vase to strengthen the roots before transplant, and they are ready--but the ground is so sodden, that I believe it would be best to wait a while. Those roots should be really solid by the time they get in the ground!

Everything that was blooming has pretty much had the flowers knocked off by the rain. We have beautiful green in just about every shade, and floating riot of colorful petals.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1633 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2016 :  05:46:02 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jnanne, sure send some up to me. One year I actually took my potted plants and carried them down to the cellar and left them so they wouldn't rot out the roots from all the rain. It had rained for about 2 weeks.

We need the rain or as so I am told. I didn't really think we needed the rain but we did. It has been really hot and broke records. SAme for the next few days. Sunday rain again. My plants are doing very well. I moved them all around and now I have to repot some as they are getting too big ...... 2 salsa tomatoes and 1 beefsteak.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1633 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2016 :  5:15:36 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I finally have an herb garden. I cut fresh basil, curly parsley, rosemary and chives... YAY!! I planted more herbs... more basil, flat leaf parsley and cilantro. Rained today for hours ago the plants are happy. Snapdragons bloomed new flowers today too. I am going to have a bright fuchsia pink geranium and a white geranium I think the other one will be pink with pink splash flowers.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2016 :  06:57:19 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Glad to hear you got the rain I sent!

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

Eau Claire, WI. 54703-1729
USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2016 :  06:52:54 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Its just too bad you gals didnt live around here. Weve got tomatoes and other garden produce going to waste,and youd enjoy getting some of it either to eat, can it, or share with others. Anyone that comes in the drive gets offered to take some of it. I cant even get out there to pick the stuff close to the fence, my neuropathy is so bad in my feet. It feels like Im walking in shoes filled with sand and is in between every toe. Cant control my feet at all, they go where they let me because they also feel like theyre filled with cement, and most times they feel like theyre a block of ice, and I become wobbly as all get out.Im enjoying you gals commenting on your gardens, or whatever youre doing, or going through making it through the past rain though back here in the shadows.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1633 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2016 :  06:56:56 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Judy, yes my friend's neuropathy is sometimes so bad, she cannot get out of bed. Sometimes her feet go into like a ballerina position. She cannot go upstairs either. She uses a cane and needs help walking a lot. She is working but sometime she has to call her friend to help her out of the car. She texted me once as she arrived at a small get together. She texted..."Can you come get me?" I went up and helped her walk down to where we were waiting for her.

It won't be a problem to chit chat about our gardens. I have to repot some tomatoes as they are drying out too soon... way too root bound!! I have 6 really big pots so I will repot this weekend.

I had planted more seeds and the basil came up so far. I LOVE fresh basil.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1633 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2016 :  12:38:09 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have to say my plants are doing too well for me to keep up. I have to go out and stake some as they have fallen over. It is too hot for me so I will wait til it cools down. I can pick some jalapenos but I will leave them to turn red. I never grew beefsteak tomatoes but they are growing like crazy. I will give everything plant food, then tomorrow it will rain. This is a great way to get plants to grow.... I have loads of yellow pear tomatoes coming out. Those plants have 6 or 8 groups of branches and they grow in clumps like grapes. I hope they turn yellow soon. I would LOVE to make salsa.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1633 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2016 :  08:35:06 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I was pleasantly surprised when I got home after 10 PM and saw my tomato plants all dried out... I watered them and looked today. The plants are fine. I saw no tomatoes split open. YAY!! I did not think they would like being dried out for so long. I left my house late morning and did not water anything at all. It was very hot and very windy so I wasn't sure what to expect.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1633 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2016 :  08:10:49 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The only trouble I am having is I have too many plants in the garden ... I am unloading 2 beefsteak tomatoes and giving them to a friend that is taking care of the other plants I gave her. I gave her a sweet pepper plant and a yellow Jubilee tomato! YAY!

Anyone else gardening? I picked 3 jalapenos and 1 sweet pepper. The sweet pepper was sort of small but had great flavor!
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2016 :  12:27:49 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Sadly McBarb, the only gardening Im doing is reading that which you or Jnanne post, and possibly someone thats happened to comment. Im told the garden at the farm is a disaster area of overgrown, rotten vegetables! Kurt hsnt made one step out in that garden in several weeks when he picked a couple a ice cream pails of string beans. He goes out to mow the lawn, but thats it! It makes me just sick he isnt oing something to make all these wonderful vegetables available to anyone wanting/needing them, and makes me sicker just knowing this was the one thing I wanted to be doing this year(canning) more than anything, and not able to do a thing. It seems everything depended on my being well, aand not that Kurt wanted to can it himself. Even the tomatoes here at the house are rotting since we can only eat so many. Meals on Wheels brings in my noon lunch, and I always ask if she or anyone she knows might be interested in some, and I do eventually convince her to take,and share with her neighbors. Its just a sickening shame to see all this waste.
Its really good to read how well your garden is doing, and how caring you are for each and every plant, along with the enjoyment you derive from them, You thoroughly enjoy each small porcel, and even share with friends and family.No matter how small, or few, you enjoy each as if it were a monster vegetable you cant get enough of.
Ive been making on average at least one trip a week to the ER for pain! Just when I think theyve got it under control, the dosage has to be increased AGAIN. Today,I will be starting on Enzymes they HOPE will take care of the major issues Ive been having in relation to digesting food. I am able to eat many foods without incident, but others hit me hard with bloating, solid gas that wont move, horrific pain, and you name it, it affects it. No amount of pain med helps or has helped of low dosages.. Giving the new dosages a try out for a couple of days to see how they work now. Kurt is getting very tired of all the trips to the hospital, and must think I can will the pain away, or keep it at bay at least, until when its convenient for him. He doesnt have any idea wht this is all about (nor do I),and has a very hard time with empathy,or for that matter sympathy. I think back to 1986-1990 when both my oldest sons had accidents 6 months apart, and I had to tote them all over, do things for them and try to ensure they maintained relationships with friends doing things all yr round, besides going to rehab, surgeries etc, and I didnt complain once. I gave up 4 yrs of my life to cater to every whim, appointment etc. Boy! how love has changed in meaning over time!It just seems kike now, its how long i can tolerate you, or how much I can get out of you.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1633 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2016 :  06:10:29 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Judy, you never know who might post....It sounds like the situation is hard on everyone.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1633 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2016 :  1:14:26 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It has been very hot and I am working outside in the gardens. I decided to cut off the buds for new flowers and flowers on peppers and tomatoes. The pepps and tomatoes already on the plants need to grow and ripen ... so this way it will make it easier for the plant to do this. ~ tada! I also moved all geraniums and cleome (Spider ) inside the fenced in area. I do not want anyone messing with or taking cuttings of anything .... so now they will not. I gave away 3 beefsteak tomato plants and feel really good about it. I have 2 salsa tomatoes, 2 yellow pear tomatoes, 2 jalapenos and 3 sweet peppers all with lots of veggies on them. They are all happy and growing like weeds!!!! This week I will have more jalapenos and some salsa tomatoes to pick. YAY!! I have picked fresh basil three times now and used fresh rosemary and parsley in sauce I made. I also put the free tomato plants inside the fenced area... 2 cherry tomatoes, roma tomato and a lemon boy tomato. They are growing very well and I have eaten fresh tomatoes off those plants several times now. SWEET!!~
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1633 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2016 :  4:49:09 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Wow, I have a lot of peppers. I have at least 40 jalapenos on the 2 plants and the green peppers are growing like crazy too. I have a white cleome and a purple cleome, a lemon boy tomato is growing and a lot more cherry tomatoes from the free plants. YAY!! THe basil is doing well & I am going to pick all of it and make pesto. Zinnias are all out. I have 2 red, 3 pink, 1 yellow and 1 orange. They are gorgeous flowers!!! My red geranium I bought has more flowers. YAY!!

I got a recipe for stuffed jalapenos. Use cream cheese with crabmeat and bake them. That sounds better to me than sausage and cram cheese wrapped with bacon. That sounds too rich to me..... but crabmeat and crm cheese? Mmmmmm.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2016 :  10:54:25 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
McBarb, your garden seems to be doing VERY well for you these days, while also producing enough for you to enjoy eating. Youve put a lot of work and love into it, thats for sure. Ive enjoyed reading and experiencing gardening through your eyes, since Im unable to do any of my own which brings me to how Im doing. In a nutshell, not good. CT scan yesterday shows the cancer has grown. Ive been given 4-6 months if I take radiation therapy for the pain, which I am not. In the meantime, Ive become weaker, and less able to do anything so to speak, and harder to type of course. So, before I lose that too, I want you and Jnanne,to know just how much Ive enjoyed our time sharing our gardening experiences here online. I go into hospice/home health care this week, starting here at home which will save a LOT of running back and forth to the Dr/ER and hospital stays for pain management. Im thinking my posting today may be one of my very last due to typing problems (thanks to spellcheck you dont see the many mistakes).
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2016 :  11:09:42 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Judy, I am so sorry to hear you are not feeling fabulous. I believe your son is not ignoring the garden or you as much as he is desperately trying to not live in the reality that life is changing to become. He increased the garden size, despite your telling him your expected limitations, not because he wasn't listening, but because he didn't want to believe. And now when he is being forced to face reality he's not able to make himself do the work. Depression has that effect.

However, you have taught him well. And those things he has yet to learn, he will figure out. I am willing to bet that he will keep up the garden in some way as a tribute to you, and working in it will be a way to remain close to you for years to come.

Please e-mail me your address so I can send you a small package. There is something I would really like you to have.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1633 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2016 :  3:48:28 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Judy, I enjoy reading your posts also. It is good to hear about how you are doing. I am sad you are not doing well and things have turned.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1633 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2016 :  06:39:58 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Judy, I sent you an email again. The last few times I got no reply. Maybe you will get this one. I want your address too ...to send you as litle something. God bless.
Go to Top of Page

Iron Chef Toni
Star Contributor

Plano, TX
USA
455 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2016 :  11:42:27 AM  Send Iron Chef Toni an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'm so sorry to hear this Judy. You and your family will be in my thoughts.

Toni
Gold certified in N. Texas
Now doing Merchandising!
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2016 :  7:05:16 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jnanne, I sent you the info you requested, check my profile for a NOTE just in case. I also waant to Thank you for the wise advice.I didnt think how this might effect the kids, and you made sense out of it.Kurt was home today when the Hospice nurse came, and of course she asked how we were dealing with this, and I mentioned the stress Kurt must be under. I told her exactly how I felt that made me feel he wanted me out of the house, or that he hated me, right then. He came back with his answer of "that not being it at all". So it was in the open, and got dealt with THEN. YOU opened my eyes that gave me the courage to tell it like it feels when he takes his frustration out on me for having all these trips to Dr/ER/chemo treatment day and night.None of us have travelled down this road, and definitely dont know what we were/are getting into, or still have to. Youre a wise woman!
Mcbarb, I went into my profile to change my email address but my brain isnt working and I didnt get it done. I was turned down at every turn, and gave up on it, but I did leave a NOTE providing my email/home address (I think) in my profile with my address. A few months ago, I decided it time to transfer my account into my sons name, and then forgot to change it in my visited sites...real smart of me. Its called C-H-E-M-O brain!
Iron Chef Toni, Thank you for your thoughts and prayers. I need all the help I can get.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2016 :  07:23:50 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Judy--you've been on the prayer list at my church for months--and will continue. I enjoy our friendship very much.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 39 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums