Previous Page | Next Page

Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 40

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1689 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2016 :  08:14:10 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I gave the plants Miracle gro dn then it rained for a couple of days so the plants are very happy!! I will pick jalapenos again this week. YAY! I picked 3 marigolds and 2 zinnias for seeds. I got a fuschia pink zinnia and a red zinnia, the marigolds are yellow and orange. The temps are warmer and it is humid. Rain showers are likely. Next week, it will be warm and plants will grow. I have been picking off the new buds and new flowers so the plants will take care of what they have now.

Judy, I wanted to send you some jalapenos but thought it might not be appreciated. So I will ask. I would LOVE to send you some of my jalapeno peppers. Do you want some? You might give them to people that are helping out. It is up to you, hon.
Jnannne, do you ever get seeds from flowers and plant them yourself or do you buy yours?
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

Eau Claire, WI. 54703-1729
USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2016 :  3:41:10 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Youre right..lol Theres a ton of peppers in the freezer from last year yet, plus, those still in the garden, however I dont know their condition. I have been donating the fruits frozen up last year for baking also, leaving a couple of pkgs for Kurt, just in case he decides to bake. Wont be long and the big freezer can be shut down.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3049 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2016 :  09:42:30 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Mostly I plant perennials so I don't have to worry about collecting seeds, and I prefer bulbs which need to be separated every few years. Most of the plants I get come from the sad plant section of the nursery--the ones that the clerks swear are dead and that I am just wasting my money. So many people don't understand that perennials often die back and when they are put in the ground and watered they either come back immediately or in the spring the following year. They just need to get roots established.

I'm too lazy to do much with annuals. I want to increase the blooms every year by just adding to the mix, changing it up with things that bloom during different seasons or that have different shaped or colored leaves.

Judy--keep up the wonderful attitude. It is amazing how much that aids in quality of life. Seeing the best in what is around you, noticing the good, rejoicing in what you can do more than mourning what you can't. Smell the flowers and enjoy the greenery of the veggies, even when your tummy won't allow you to enjoy the taste! And know that you are loved.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1689 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2016 :  3:52:01 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jnanne, I would use perennials, bulbs and also start my own from seed and buy annuals...IF I had my own place. I would not be able to do that here.

I got peppermint, 2 cherry tomatoes, 1 lemon boy tomato and 1 roma tomato free at a local hardware store. The cashier said they were dead but I do not agree. I have had 10 cherry tomatoes, 5 roma tomatoes and the lemon boy has quite a few. I am waiting for them to get bigger and ripen. Dead plants?? No way!!~
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3049 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2016 :  4:23:08 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I am so thoroughly enjoying the long growing season down here. The fall flowers are gorgeous and most lawns are still very green. It is definitely time to return to the nursery in search of derelict bulbs that others passed by. I may find some at excellent sale prices!

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1689 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2016 :  05:25:32 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jnanne, good going for you! We are supposed to have snow flurries tonight. I am done and have been done with the gardening here. I picked all peppers and tomatoes. I still have a LOT that are ripening. I did pretty well considering I put plants outside July 4th!!

So what kind of bulbs are you buying? Where do you shop for them? What kind of flowers do you have for fall flowers? I recall living in Morgan City ... it used to get cold in winter.... not as cold as it is here in the Adirondacks.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1689 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2016 :  4:30:29 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jnanne, I sent you an email but not sure if you got it. I did send Judy a card. I hope she gets it. I have prayed for her soul and I miss her a lot.............
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3049 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2016 :  5:10:17 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'll be getting whatever is cheap. My flower budget isn't very big, and since just about any bulb will fit well into the beds I have, I don't need to be picky. Any color, any size, any blooming season. I am especially looking for hosta, elephant ears, and calla lilies. I want some variety in leaf sizes, as well as in the color of the petals. With my ten-year plan I have plenty of time to fit in new blossoms and move (or thin and spread) old ones.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3049 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2016 :  09:53:26 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
When I was at my mom's house in Florida earlier this summer she gave me some desert petunia with purple blossoms. A friend saw them and gave me some he had with pink blossoms--and a yucca. I just need to figure out where to put the yucca, though. The petunias are hardy enough to grow just in just about any conditions, but thrive best in full sun with well-drained soil. And they spread like crazy, so need to be where I either don't care if they spread or where they are enclosed by concrete on all sides. Easy decision. They go in the easement.

McBarb, what's happening in your garden?

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3049 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2017 :  12:42:14 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
JudyK, I miss you.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1689 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2017 :  05:38:55 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Me too. I miss her big time...like every day.

My gardening is still inside. It may freeze tonight, so I will put my plants outside for a while but not all night.

So far I have yellow pear tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, salsa tomatoes,
Cherokee purple tomatoes and I bought a plant...it is roma.

I also have Cubanelle peppers, sweet peppers and jalapenos!

I finally can grow dill, oregano and have some basil.

How about you Jnanne? What is new with you?
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3049 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2017 :  09:52:01 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I've planted very little this year. I transplanted a few wild flowers and bulbs into my yard with mixed success. Moving forward with my ten-year plan to beautify the property has stalled for a bit, but I will resume when the temperature is consistently below boiling.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1689 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2017 :  5:18:00 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My squash plants are flowering. They are gorgeous!! Tomatoes are ripening daily. Sweet peppers are flowering and growing. I have 2 jalapenos and 4 Cubanelle peppers. Dill is growing great and geraniums are especially pretty this year. Hollyhocks are going in the ground Saturday! I will build a raise bed garden for my flowers. Cleome and hollyhocks are going in!
The basil seeds I started along with the all of the dill and oregano are growing like crazy!! I will have enough basil for a while and to make pesto!! I still want to plant parsley and cilantro....somebody stop me... lol
Go to Top of Page

Julie_WA_Writer
Star Contributor

Western, Washington
USA
1883 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2017 :  3:43:57 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My basil did great this year, too; so did the huckleberries. Not sure what I'm doing wrong with the lavender, but will continue to try (it's so pretty and smells so nice).

“Great empires are not maintained by timidity.” Tacitus
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1689 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2017 :  06:24:45 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Julie, I tried over and over and over to grow dill. I can finally grow dill!! I tried to grow lavender from seed too but mine died. I will try again as I have lavender seeds.

Julie, what do you do with huckleberries?
Go to Top of Page

Julie_WA_Writer
Star Contributor

Western, Washington
USA
1883 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2017 :  12:21:48 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The huckleberries were here when we moved in and they require close to zero care (my kind of gardening!). I use them in smoothies. They are so small that the picking time isn't always worth it - I do it when I'm on the phone with someone. At least they don't have the blackberry thorns. Mostly they end up being deer food :-).

We are coming into blackberry season shortly. It's the Washington state weed. In October, there's enough of them to last the entire year so our freezer is full of them.

Haven't tried dill - yet. I picked up two dozen FREE terra cotta pipes off of CL and dug them into our hillside. The plan is to plant herbs there, but haven't had the time yet.

The overwhelming majority of my plants come from a nursery/feed store shop. It's great because I've been known to have a purple thumb (they suffer before they die), so I'm not out $.

I have had zero luck with peppers of any type. I'm going to blame the weather. We had an amazing garden in Southern California growing up.

Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1689 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2017 :  10:03:29 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Julie, I howled with laughter after seeing you posted blackberries are the state weed!! Too funny.

Harvest is here. We finally had weather in the 70's and 80's with lots of sun. I picked yellow pear tomatoes, salsa tomatoes & plum tomatoes.
Cubanelle pepps are growing. Dill is doing great!! Oregano and basil too. I have 2 zucchinis now. A huge YAY!! I never grew zucchini in a pot ....but they are doing great.

Julie, you will like growing herbs. It's fun and healthy!! All I have learned is they like sun.
Go to Top of Page

Julie_WA_Writer
Star Contributor

Western, Washington
USA
1883 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2017 :  4:32:40 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The blackberries are from India and have overwhelmed the native ones. They are prolific and take over if you're not on them. Our neighbor's boxer eats all the streetside berries that are less than 2' high.

Had three deer nosing around the huckleberries this morning. The mama deer decided they weren't worth the trouble and headed back into the forest. They ate almost all my daughter's sunflowers when they were just shoots. She has only two of a couple dozen that will reach maturity. Next year, she'll need to remember the chicken wire.

The dandelions killed my grass, so I think next year I will simply plant raised beds in the front yard. At least the neighbors won't be on me for the dandelions :-X.

Oh, to have acres to garden! That's my dream.

Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1689 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2017 :  6:11:45 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My dream is to gave a greenhouse, then start my own business.
I will ...but not this year.

I am going to plant more seeds. My dill seedling's roots grew out of the peat pellets ....so I put them in pots. They will take off now.
I want to plant lavender seeds parsley, cilantro and maybe more basil.

Send me some blackberries, Julie!!

edited to say.... about your daughter losing her sunflowers to the deer. Oh dear. Yes I have seen deer jump up on a flat bird feeder filled with sunflower seeds and they love them.

If you had acres, what would you plant?
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3049 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2017 :  8:41:38 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have never grown lavender, but I understand it doesn't like to be fussed over. The folk I know who have been successful with it say it is best to plant it and forget it. Doing things that mess with the soil around it, thus disturbing the roots, kills them--so don't plant them where you intend to pull weeds and I think they need to be pretty well-established before they tolerate a lot of pruning. Good luck and let us know how you do.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 40  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition ® Copyright © All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.35 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums