Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 39

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1645 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2014 :  12:58:12 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jnanne,

Sorry about your garden woes. You could take a photo and send it to Burpee or some company ... they all have Master Gardeners who perhaps can help.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1645 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2014 :  11:32:49 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I had blossom end rot on my tomato plants but they were in pots. I called Burpee and they suggested to place epsom salts in the pot every so often and it did control the mold to some degree. Unfortuantely, once the mold starts you cannot stop it completely. I wasn't able to anyways. Try the Epsom salts tho. Can't hurt...that is for sure.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

Eau Claire, WI. 54703-1729
USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2014 :  06:53:27 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Those of you that start your plants from seed, can you answer my concern? As you all know, Ive complained about our cold WI weather and the delay of planting season. We started our tomato plants which are now well over 3' tall, but are tall and spindly, with some plants now bent over and growing more like vines in the bay windows. My concern is that these plants ARENT going to produce much of anything once theyre planted in the ground, even if theyre planted deep. Do you have any recommendations, or knowledge from past experience? Im thinking I might be wise to buy some plants just in case, because I want tomatoes, if these wont produce.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3047 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2014 :  5:31:34 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
plants get spindly when they have not had any reason not to. The stronger stems are found on plants that have had to withstand a little stress from blowing wind and rain. When the weather keeps them indoors, they tend to not grow as strong. However, that doesn't mean they won't turn out to be great once they get outdoors.

Plant them deep and provide them with plenty of support, tying them up if they just won't grow against or around the cage. Don't try to force branches to bend in a manner they don't want to-if you accidentally crack a stem while trying to support the plant you've pretty much messed up anything growing above the crack.

Once the plants have been out in the real weather, they should become more sturdy. Good luck.

And I hope you don't have to deal with any molds--my tomatoes are looking better, but are not looking fabulous. The fruit continues to grow, though, so we may get a decent crop after all!

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1645 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2014 :  04:37:46 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Wow, your plants are big. I agree with Jnanne, plant them outside and bury them. Once I was tying up branches on a huge tomato plant I had outside and broke one of the branches. I used duct tape!!
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2014 :  08:33:13 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Well, the tomatoes are planted, but not as deep as wed have liked as there is some kind of a stone/cement ledge about 6-8"below ground in the whole garden area. We planted 6 Big boys and 5 Roma plants here at the house a couple of weeks ago. They didn't look like theyd survive, but now are doing much better. The weather here has been very chilly, the leaves on the trees are just starting to come out. Planting is almost done, I believe all that's left is Asparagus and one other vegetable that's under the grow lights in the basement yet. My son bought a huge amount of the reusable "Tattlers" lids and seals this year off ebay, as well as another 10 dozen canning jars. Personally, I thought it a great idea because canning supplies have gone up in price terrifically here.($18.95 a doz. for qt. wide mouth)
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1645 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2014 :  06:44:34 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I am getting ready to put my garden in too. I spoke to my landlady about where to put it and she said it would be ok. I am psyched cuz this year should be hot and that will be great. My eggplants are doing wonderful, tomatoes and peppers too. Basil is growing a lot and flowers are doing excellent. A lot of my zinnias died but I can plant more!!

I had a morning glory seed I planted 3/24 and it flowered this last week!!!!!!!!!! I have a few more with tiny buds... how cute.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3047 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2014 :  06:00:34 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I love Morning Glories! I enjoy seeing them bloom at the roadside and have considered putting some in my garden. I'm just afraid they will need more tending than I have the energy to provide to keep them from over-running surrounding plants.

I have a section of garden that is all Shamrocks and Violets that I dug up from the yard. They are getting huge and the blooms are beautiful. After finally giving in and letting me do this, my mother-in-law seemed pleasantly surprised that they look so nice. She had only seen them as weeds in the grass, and they never really look gorgeous when they are mowed down every time they poke their heads up!

I'd also like to put in some Blue Bonnets. They grow in the ditches around here, but it is illegal to dig them up. I haven't looked into whether they are commercially available, yet. Maybe that will be the new plant for next spring. Surely in one year I can find somewhere to buy them.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1645 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2014 :  08:18:20 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I placed sunflower seeds in the middle of a huge pot and outside those I planted nasturtiums. I put many pots of gladiolas and they all came up, put 2 glad bulbs in the ground and they are ok too. I put sunflowers in a pot...those will be red and yellow. Woohoo!! The morning glories are doing well too right outside my door so they will crawl up the roof and rest of the building. Well, back to work.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3047 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2014 :  10:17:07 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
How are the peppers coming along? I can't wait to hear whether the different soil mixes produced different-tasting peppers!

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2014 :  07:25:28 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
You two women have a lot of energy and green thumbs to grow so many things in your gardens. Jnanne, your yard sounds like its set up to beautifully showcase your huge variety of plants. Do you by chance belong to a gardening club that holds fundraisers to view beautiful backyard gardens? From what youve described in your posts my imagination runs wild.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2014 :  07:48:41 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Our vegetable gardens are finally showing signs of positive growth. Even those tall spindly tomato plants are looking decent, although, I still question if theyll be strong enough to hold much fruit.I gave my son some tomato plant fertilizer that gets mixed with water, and then sprayed on all the plants in the garden. Its non burning.Can only hope that helps those poor tomato plants. Weve enjoyed fantastic weather here the last two weeks, which has contributed greatly to growth of all in the gardens. Kurt purchased four 275 gallon plastic totes to collect rain water, to which he put faucets and garden hose to water the farm garden, as there isnt a close access to water otherwise. It only took two rainy nights to fill all of them! There is a machinery shed at one end of the garden, that he attached rain gutters to that has a metal roof that the water flows into one tote, then pvc connects to each of the other totes, filling each as they fill up. The harsh winter took its toll on the pear tree this year. There wont be a single pear to can up. Yet, the apple tree was loaded again with blossoms. Now we just hope we dont get a strong wind that will cause a majority of almost marble sized apples to fall to the ground. In about two weeks we should get our first radishes.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3047 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2014 :  06:37:10 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
While I have some gorgeous plants, I do not yet have a gorgeous yard. We've been in this house two years, now, so I have only eight more to go on my ten-year plan! I am putting in new perennials every year, and I am putting the tubers and bulbs in so they have to grow into their space--and so I can put off digging them up and dividing them for as long as possible.

I believe in embracing the native plants, as they need less maintenance than the transplants and therefore have a better chance at surviving drought and heat. When the weather kills everything else I will still have something pretty! I also check out the well-established yards around town to discover what shows up frequently enough to tell me it should do well--since I am a transplant and know IL gardening much better than LA gardening!

When I was turning off the faucet the other evening the sun was at the perfect angle to illuminate behind the lattice work under the house. All that nasty huge mold that keeps cropping up in the vegetables is running rampant under the house! We'll need to get professional help to identify it and get rid of it. I don't anticipate the garden has a chance of producing much this year, and if I want to try again next year, we need to get this under control! I'm almost afraid to hear what a pro has to say about it. I don't want to hear that the presence of this stuff is a danger to our health--but at least I am certain it is not black mold.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1645 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2014 :  11:22:20 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I put some pots outside and will get more dirt to build a raised bed garden outside. I want to put the salsa tomatoes in the ground along with peppers, flowers, and beans. I will plant yellow (Cherokee wax), green bush beans and pole beans. The potted plants outside so far are 3 yellow jubilee tomatoes, 1 cherokee purple tomato, 1 eggplant, 1 jalapeno pepper, 1 sweet pepper, 2 sunflowers, a huge pot with a bunch of sunflowers with nasturtiums, potted red nasturtiums, 10 morning glories, 1 cleome (Spider plant), 1 cherry tomato, 1 marglobe tomato. I got flowers to make hanging baskets but need to get white allysum. I got white, red and purple petunias with spikes and need to get vinca vines too. The black flies are so bad now I refuse to go back to the nursery. My neighbor said she will go for me. LOL!! The plants I have upstairs on my porch (outside my kitchen)with 2 windows are 2 Cherokee purple tomatoes, 2 pots with 2 yellow pear tomatoes in each and a tray of morning glories, 1 jalapeno pepper and a Mexican sunflower. I have so much work to do yet but have to wait til the bugs go away. My right ear is red and swollen with bites. I had a black fly bite the inside of my ear.

Yes I need to get some sand for my peppers.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3047 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2014 :  3:40:05 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My ears hurt just reading this! Have you ever tried Bullfrog brand sun screen? They make a product called Mosquito Coast that they sell in a dark green squirt bottle. I've found it is as effective with flies as it is with mosquitoes--and is a great sunscreen as a bonus.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1645 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2014 :  2:05:09 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just went outside and checked all plants but I sort of ran by. I did water a few as it is hot and sunny today. I did not stay long and I will not work outside without some type of protection. Yesterday I put Vicks on my face and ears. Darn bugs.

Thanks Jnanne, I will look for that. Vicks does work tho but it so messy.

All plants are loving this weather.....tomatoes, glads and peppers are growing very well. I sprinkled some organic (very stinky) plant food on most plants and they liked that quite well. Smells sort of like rotten fish kind of plant food.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2014 :  12:19:58 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jnanne, I just wanted to tell you that you were RIGHT! Those tall, spindly tomato plants are doing excellent. All 42 of them have grown branches where lower branches died off, the main stems are thick,
tall,bushy,and have flowers on them. If this garden grows to fruition, there is going to be a ton of vegetables. Everyone we know says theyll buy anything we want to sell. Considering how much is planted, there will be plenty. I asked Kurt to see if his Gramma's old wringer washer was stored in any of the out buildings. He found it. He asked why, and I told him Gramma used to use the washer to clean her pickling cucumbers. He likes that idea.I can hardly wait for canning to get started!
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1645 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2014 :  04:42:09 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
We knew they would!! Great going Judy!!

I worked outside yesterday putting more plants outside and getting ready to do the raised bed garden. I atarted it yesterday and today I will plant seeds and put in tomatoes etc.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1645 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2014 :  04:45:38 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have buds on my 2 salsa tomato plants and my jalapeno pepper plant!!!!
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2014 :  05:36:05 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
McBarb, what is the difference between salsa tomatoes and Romas? Ive never heard of a salsa tomato thats why I inquire. I made a lot of Salsa sauce last year, and used half Romas and Big Boy tomatoes in my recipes. Im wondering about the consistency and flavor difference using "salsa" tomatoes.
I would love to have a raised garden. It seems like they would be so much easier to tend than a ground garden, easier on the back, and also be very useful when planting items that might need shade for growing. I have an acre of land here with little shade in the back yard, other than the pear and apple trees. An above ground planter would work great around the pear tree. I might have to "try" and talk my son into building one next year, as I didnt even think of that until you mentioned yours.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 39  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums