Previous Page | Next Page

Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 40

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1689 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2014 :  10:23:16 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I do not have the energy to do canning this summer. Good for you Judy!!

I have sweet peas flowers blooming, my cleome opened up and it is purple. Tomatoes are doing great.. all types are growing now, eggplant is being eaten by Japanese beetles but no too badly. I have killed about 30. Jalapeno peppers are growing very well, nasturtiums flowering (orange and yellow) and sunflowers are budded!! Green beans are flowering and yellow beans will follow maybe later today!!
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

Eau Claire, WI. 54703-1729
USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2014 :  1:20:22 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Our jalapeno peppers are just about ready to start picking. I can hardly wait- we love jalapeno poppers. I made so many last year Kurt took them to work with him (AND claimed he made them) for others to enjoy. Many of us arent into HOT hot foods, these were very mild with just a bit of tang to them that make you want more. The tomatoes here at the house are also growing like crazy this year. Even those home grown from seed I worried wouldnt amount to a hill of beans, are producing just as good, if not better, than mine from last year. The weather here has been absolutely perfect for gardening this year. Just the right combination of sun and rain.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1689 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2014 :  10:10:49 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have a flower on one of my pea plants...Burpeanna (podded old fashioned style peas!!) My beans have all flowered in the front garden.... back garden beans will flower next week. Pole beans are slow this year. Tomatoes are growing like crazy. Purple cleome bloomed, zinnias have all bloomed.. peach, red, orange and yellow. Well back to the garden....
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2014 :  11:41:01 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I honestly envy you, and Jnanne having the patience to grow flowers. Im kind of a perfectionist, and know there IS a lot of work weeding flowers to keep them looking beautiful,and patience is not one of my strong points. Then, Ive got my son to contend with, who now owns my home. There are a few perennials that continue to come up year, after year even though he has mowed, or took the weed whacker after them. Flowers add so much to the over all appearance of a house. Today, WERE canning pickles, and of course, it hasnt been without problems. Occasionally, Ive experienced only getting a jar to not seal,but today is a different story. TWO canners (10 qts) didnt seal! Ive been online trying to find a reason, and I THINK, Ive found out why, because everything else was done right he says. I made the brine while he filled the jars with the spices, then he noticed hed forgotten to add the garlic closes, and he had also altered the spice measurements when I had my back to him). Kurt tightened the jar rings after I had already done so! I had a heck of a time loosening them up, but managed to get 9 loose and now am hearing them pop. I had already processed them the second time when I found that info, so immediately went to loosen the rings a bit. They arent going to be crisp, but at least theyve been saved. Thankfully, hell eat anything if its a pickle. He is so darn smart otherwise, I guess hes going to need more classroom instruction in canning!
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1689 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2014 :  07:01:34 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
What are jalapeno poppers? How do you make them? I checked my plant yesterday and I have about 8 peppers growing on 1 plant so I need to find something to do with them. I will do a search.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2014 :  2:15:00 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jalapeno poppers are jalapeno's that are baked with a filling and bacon wrapped. They ARE fabulous, and vary from mild to warm in heat depending on pepper! Be sure to wear a pair of rubber gloves when handling the halved peppers, or your hands will burn like youve never experienced before. I learned firsthand.
Youll need: large cookie sheet lined with aluminum foil
A cake cooling rack that will fit into the cookie sheet to hold poppers,allowing excess grease to collect in cookie sheet.
25-30 halved peppers I dont get that many because I fill above the rim of the pepper .Cut the number of peppers you plan on using in half lengthwise and remove seeds and membrane. Blanch peppers in simmering hot water for 2 minutes, and dry thoroughly with paper towel. Youll need enough uncooked bacon, cut into thirds for wrapping after stuffing.
Fry up 3 slices of bacon, to a crisp and set aside.
Cream 1- 8ounce package of Cream Cheese
Add: 1 teaspoon minced garlic clove
salt and pepper to taste
4 heaping Tablespoons of shredded Colby Cheese and
crumble bacon and add to mixture, and stir to mix together
Spread mixture into pepper halves and roll slice of uncooked bacon around each and secure with a toothpick. (A whole slice, or even a half seemed too much on a pepper, so I cut each slice into thirds for wrapping.) When youve finished top off with sprinkled cheese on top once placed on the rack. Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
Remaining mixture can be refrigerated for next use which by then you should be addicted to the poppers and make sooner than later.

The recipes Ive tried online had no texture and lacked any taste. I hope you enjoy them as much as everyone thats tried these.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1689 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2014 :  2:58:05 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My flowers are grown in pots so I do not weed.

Thanks for the recipe. I will try this for sure!!
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2014 :  08:02:36 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Growing in pots sure makes life easy for you. When I sold the house to the kid, I gave all my gardening stuff to my neighbor lady, right down to the bird feeders, garden tools, bird baths, and pond with fountain. My son would have thrown it all away anyway.
I forgot to mention that I tried using just the cookie sheet for the peppers, but there was so much grease in the pan, the poppers were soaked in it, so I used the cooling rack instead and that worked perfectly. If after the 30 minutes the bacon doesnt appear to be done put them under the broiler for a few minutes.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1689 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2014 :  10:26:02 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I will definitely experiment with stuffing the jalapenos!!

Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2014 :  12:27:57 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Not being the gardener like you and Jnanne are, I had to look up Burpenna peas as Id never heard of them. But then, I dont eat peas unless theyre in a cold macaronie salad, and then they HAVE to the frozen ones. Do you plant the peas and egg plant in pots too, or do you have a small veggie garden also? We opened the single jar of pickles that I couldnt get unscrewed the other day, and my gosh, they are excellent and very crispy, even though they had to be processed 2x in the water bath canner. The recipe said to let them sit for two weeks, but I got Kurt to try one just to check if they might be soggy. He is feeling pretty proud today.lol. Wonder where Jnanne is,we havent heard a peep from here for a few days. Hope she is just busy.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1689 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2014 :  3:26:10 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I was wondering the same thing abt Jnanne. It gets very, very hot where she live and I hope her garden is doing well.

The peas, beets and beans are in the raised bed garden I made. The Burpeanna peas are podded and delicious. I have never cooked peas or beans... I eat them as soon as I pick them!!! This year I will get to freeze some.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3049 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2014 :  12:22:10 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Just returned from vacation! We went to Disney World and had a blast. Came home to not much change in the garden. My mother-in-law and sister-in-law stayed home so there was no worry that the garden wouldn't be in great shape.

Wonder how hard we'll have to work to be able to make this an annual event?

We never advertise on-line when we are going to be out of town. Guess my years in law enforcement make me very wary. You never know who may read your posts, especially on something like Facebook, and take the opportunity to burglarize while you are gone.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2014 :  1:49:26 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Im happy to know you were away having a fabulous time. Ive never been to DW, but have heard a person would have to go for several days before they ever see everything there, so Ill settle for what comes on TV. Also, I totally agree with not posting things on FB. Various family members post EVERYTHING on FB to be seen by anyone that reads their posts. I HAD an account several months back. Its gotten almost as bad as texting in my mind. No one wants to talk face to face, or on the phone anymore. In any case, Im happy youre back.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1689 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2014 :  05:35:55 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jnanne, what a great way to spend vacation. I loved DW and Magic Kindgom. So, how is your garden?
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3049 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2014 :  1:32:22 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I think my mother-in-law summed it up quite accurately today when she said we seem to be growing appetizer-sized veggies this year. Everything seems to be ripening a lot smaller than expected. Very odd.

We've had a bit of rain recently. Maybe that will help. While watering regularly is good, it's not as healthy as a steady day-long rain.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1689 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2014 :  07:06:43 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I noticed I have salsa tomatoes on the plant since I put them outside and they do not turn red at all. I learned why when doing a search. The link below is a copy and paste for a good article from Rutgers University.
http://www.njfarmfresh.rutgers.edu/documents/WhyTomatoesTakeTheirSweetTimetoRipen.pdf
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2014 :  3:16:46 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jnanne, Im wondering if you possibly planted those vegetables in the same area of your garden last year. I read somewhere that in some cases we should be doing alternate planting of various vegetable families. A farmer alternates his crop because various crops will deplete the soil of nutrients, while others will add nutrients that were lost from the past crop planted. We found out some plants don't like nutrient rich soil content and will not produce like it should, if at all. Its funny how one vegetable will do well in an area, and not another. Kurt brought home an ice cream bucket of Roma tomatoes yesterday,and I cut into them today only to find the insides were filled with black rot. Here we thought we were going to get at least some from the garden, but that juglone disease affected them sadly. Ive been canning a variety of pickle recipes for the last several days. He just picked Friday, and today hes picking again, and was shocked to see huge cucumbers where there were none on Friday.Its been hot with high humidity here, and we wonder if that contributed to the fast growth time. More pickles and string beans to be canned tomorrow.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2014 :  3:22:54 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I also found out why my first two canners of pickles didn't seal. When I canned the next batch, I tightened the ring like any other, but found when they came out of the canner, they too were very tight, so I loosened them a tadbit and sure enough they sealed. So now Ive been just barely screwing the ring on the jars and havent had a problem.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1689 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2014 :  04:46:32 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I will try to remove branches with buds forming to save the tomatoes already on the plants to form. If I don't, I may not get many. The Cherokee purple are doing better than cherry, salsa, yellow pear and marglobe.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2014 :  06:05:32 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Purple tomatoes, I had to look those up as Id never heard of some being purple. It sounds as though you DO like to play with different vegetables. Viewing the provided pictures on the site,along with the more tomatoey flavor description, they do sound interesting. Have you grown them before? Ill bet you get a lot of strange looks from visitors when they see them. lol. We had quite the down pour night before last when only scattered showers were predicted. Here at the house we got 3" of rain according in the rain gauge, in one hour, The weatherman reported an inch-and-a-half at the station, three miles away. The neighbor to the east had a huge pond of water in his backyard, while the neighbor to the west had flooding in their finished basement-Again.This has been a good kind of strange summer here with only one day of 90 degrees. For a change we can get outside to do things, instead of being cooped up in the house. We have experienced many days of 97% humidity, but the temps have been in the 60's (mornings)to 70's during the day. Every time weve had to pick veggies in the garden has always been very sticky and miserable. I didnt bother going with Kurt to the farm on the day it was 90, and I felt sorry for him having to do it alone, but I cant take the heat. Our tomatoes are just starting to be picked, a few at a time. We had BLT's for supper the other night, and they tasted so gooood!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 40  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition о Copyright й All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.36 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums