Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JanJojo
Star Contributor

West Virginia
USA
42759 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2005 :  5:19:08 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have been looking for Kraft Pimento Velveeta Cheese for a number of years.I would hate to think that it is no longer made.Has anybody seen this delicious cheese in the area in which they live? There is a Mexican Velveeta Cheese,but I do not really like it all that well.

GailGibbsYoung
Star Contributor

Salem, OR
USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2005 :  5:53:11 PM  Visit GailGibbsYoung's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
from google:

www.kraftfoods.com/velveeta/main.aspx?s=&m=clean_plate&brand=velveeta

MSPA GOLD CERTIFIED dejlg4
Go to Top of Page

JanJojo
Star Contributor

West Virginia
USA
42759 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2005 :  3:47:16 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have found out the sad but true fact about Kraft Pimento Velveeta Cheese. The product was discontinued,because it was not selling well in the stores!!!Does anybody know of a soft textured cheese with pimentos that is sold in stores? It would not be a Kraft product.
Go to Top of Page

LauraB
Star Contributor

Frederick, MD
USA
921 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2005 :  5:29:51 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
A google search turned up several results, including this one:

http://www.ruthsalad.com/Homex.html

MSPA Gold Certified #4xgoix
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie in Burbank
Star Contributor

Burbank, CA
USA
5940 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2005 :  7:16:59 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Kraft still makes a pimento cheese spread. It's sold in small (5oz.?) jars. It's on the cracker aisle where I work.
My Dad used to make his own pimento cheese. He used an old fashioned Universal Grinder (I still have his and they still make them). I know he used american cheese and pimento. I was only a little girl but I can remember. I'm sure her probably used something like a little mayo and probably some worcestershire sauce too. Maybe some dry mustard too.

Bonnie
Go to Top of Page

GailGibbsYoung
Star Contributor

Salem, OR
USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2005 :  04:06:09 AM  Visit GailGibbsYoung's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Knowing how you want to use the pimento cheese might help in finding you a solution/substitute for the former Kraft product.

If you want it for use on bread or crackers, the Kraft spread in the small jars is great. It is what I use on the square, dark party rye for finger sandwiches. The peach color of the spread looks wonderful between the dark bread when sliced. It also is great on whole wheat bread for kids. I loved it when I was little (and we won't discuss how long ago that was...LOL). It also is great when piped on celery for a relish tray.

If you want it for a recipe that is Velveeta specific, I would just use regular velveeta and add chopped pimento to it once it is melted. It will probably take a couple of tries to get the proper amount of pimento flavor you are seeking.

And, last but not least, if you google "pimento cheese" you will get 74,000 hits for recipes on how to make your own spread!

MSPA GOLD CERTIFIED dejlg4
Go to Top of Page

Mimi
Star Contributor

USA
1691 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2005 :  05:00:13 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
We have a great pimento cheese available in our stores. The brand name is Prince's and it's been around a long time. It now comes in light and a spicy version which I have not tried, but the regular pimento cheese is wonderful. It's on the dairy aisle.

Mimi
Go to Top of Page

NatalieH
Contributor

USA
8291 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  06:12:06 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I make a recipe similar to what Bonnie mentioned. It's as easy as can be, especially if you are interested in using Velveeta, specifically. I just grate up the Velveeta, and mix it to taste with canned pimentos, mayonnaise, a pinch of dry mustard powder, and a very scant dash of Worcestershire sauce. If I want to spice it up, I will add a tiny bit of diced jalapeno, or else I will use a few chopped green chilies. I love it on celery.

I am generally not a fan of Velveeta, but this is the only cheese I use for pimento cheese spread.
Go to Top of Page

JanJojo
Star Contributor

West Virginia
USA
42759 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2005 :  6:44:05 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Mimi!!! Is the Prince's Company that makes the pimento cheese the same one as Prince's Pasta Company? TIA
Go to Top of Page

Mimi
Star Contributor

USA
1691 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2005 :  8:07:41 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hey Jan, I don't know. In fact, after I posted the company, Prince's, I started to wonder if that is really the name. It may be Price's, not sure, but I will find out and post it. Whatever the name is, it's great pimento cheese

Mimi
Go to Top of Page

NatalieH
Contributor

USA
8291 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2005 :  04:14:16 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It's Price's. I agree--it's good!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.26 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums