Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

MissyB

21 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2003 :  8:20:57 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I started using Paypal years ago - just after it came out. Once my account had accepted a specified amount of money (I don't remember the limit - but I do remember thinking it wasn't very much), I was given a warning. Then I was told I would have to upgrade to business in order to continue using their service (translates to fees on accepting payments from others). Has that policy changed?? Since my paypal account is still a business account, it means all my reimbursements have had fees taken out. But I clicked around on their site and saw that you can request your account be downgraded to personal (which I requested). Has anyone else run into this situation? I couldn't find anything on their site about a limit on personal accounts.

missyb

Borgt

Moorpark, CA
USA
13 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2003 :  8:31:39 PM  Visit Borgt's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have had a business account for years also. The payments I receive for shopping don't have any fees taken out.

Paul
MSPA Gold kgxh8g
Go to Top of Page

Cath
Star Contributor

USA
703 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2003 :  9:09:19 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have only had a personal account with them. No fees for what I do. My shopping money goes in to PayPal. They notify me. Then I have them send it to my checking account. No charge. I like it.
I didn't have a business account with them so I cannot tell you about that aspect. However, if they don't let you move down to a free personal one, can you sign up as a new person for a personal account? Good luck.

MSPA "Go To Shopper" 2006
MSPA Gold Certified, July 2003.
MSPA Gold Certified Shoppers Panel, Washington, DC, November 7, 2003.
Specializing in hotels, resorts and restaurants since 2002.
Go to Top of Page

BlueAbe
Star Contributor

Mid-Central, Ohio
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2003 :  9:34:37 PM  Visit BlueAbe's Homepage  Send BlueAbe an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
There shouldn't be a charge as long as you don't accept credit cards.
Not too sure how business accounts work.
I did a transaction a couple months ago, where I used paypal to purchase a DVD set for $465, with no fees attached to it.

Gold certified since the beginning. Merchandising, Mystery shopping, & Court Research throughout Mid-Central Ohio.
Go to Top of Page

Ruth

York, NE
USA
36 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2003 :  9:49:50 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Missyb,
You are correct. After a certain amount is deposited per month fees are deducted. I was also able to have my account downgraded.
Ruth
Go to Top of Page

.PatrickMcGee
Inactive

Sheffield, AL
46 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2003 :  08:05:12 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I've got 2 separate PayPal accounts; 1 for business (i.e. eBay selling and stuff like that) and 1 for just receiving payments for shopping. On my business account, even if someone doesn't use a credit card, it always charges me a fee. If you get a personal account and have it confirmed with a checking account I don't think the limit on receiving money stays...I think it goes to unlimited. But, you have to confirm the linked account or they keep the limit on it. Hope this helps.
Patrick[:p]

Patrick
Go to Top of Page

.ColleenNYC
Inactive

New York City, NY
USA
1700 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2003 :  4:35:36 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
With a Premier Business Account, you are charged a certain percentage (1.9% - 3.00%) plus a standard fee (.30 +). The seller gets charged a fee, the buyer does not. Ebay now owns Paypal. I got annoyed with their fees, because it is a double whammy. First, a listing fee. Then a percentage of the final selling amount. Finally, the Paypal percentages and fees. It is crazy!!!
Go to Top of Page

Ray Sola
Volition.com Staff

Prescott, AZ
USA
3071 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2003 :  07:59:49 AM  Visit Ray Sola's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just downgraded my account from Business to personal. I had it as a business as we were selling Volition.com t-shirts and needed to accept credit cards. Not many shirts left and I do not plan on making any more. Also people send money to me without telling me and I get hit with the fees. Some things to know before you downgrade:

We appreciate that you have tried our PayPal Business/Premier Account. Per your request, your PayPal Account has been downgraded from a Business/Premier to a Personal Account. Please note that with a Personal Account, you will no longer be able to receive credit card funded payments.

You are only permitted to downgrade from a Business/Premier Account to a Personal Account one time. If you would like to upgrade your account to a Business/Premier Account in the future, it will remain a Business/Premier Account for the lifetime of the account.

Please note if you receive a credit card payment to your Personal Account, you will be given the choice to accept or deny the payment. If you accept the payment, your Personal Account will be upgraded to a Premier Account. You also have the option to deny the payment and request a payment from the buyer's PayPal balance or an eCheck.

*There are no fee adjustments or refunds on payments received as a Business/Premier Account.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us again.

Sincerely,
    Charisse
    PayPal Customer Service
    PayPal, an eBay Company
Go to Top of Page

MelanieNJ
Star Contributor

NJ
USA
267 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2003 :  08:21:40 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I do a fair amount of selling on eBay and refuse to upgrade my account. It annoys some buyers but I can't stand those fees, and there's the mystery shopping $ and when friends/family owe me money sometimes they paypal me. I think once half.com goes bye bye and I have to do all my selling on eBay I'll have 2 accounts. I do wish eBay would come up with a better solution though.
Go to Top of Page

Michael G.

Montreal, QC
Canada
20 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2004 :  08:52:41 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have a business account and a personal account.

I checked with eBay, and you are entitled to have one of each account.

Therefore, I use the business account for sending money, and the personal one for receiving money.

It works perfectly fine. Problem solved.

Hope this helps...

Mike

Michael G
Premier Service Inc.
Go to Top of Page

Cazzy

Sunny, NJ
USA
18 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2004 :  1:01:37 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hi, I have the upgraded Paypal acct (because I use it for ebay) but payments from MS companies never have the commission taken out...and they aren't supposed to. I have never worked for the Solomon group but my guess is they are classifying it wrong when they send the money.
Go to Top of Page

SandieHB
Valued Contributor

Huntington Beach, CA
USA
219 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2004 :  3:00:15 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
After waiting forever for payment from Hilli-Dunlap, I finally got it....minus a fee from Paypal. Now I'm mad. Anyone else get charged a fee for payment specifically from Hilli-Dunlap?

Sandie
MSPA Gold Certified

Go to Top of Page

CorrieS
Star Contributor

Briarwood, NY
USA
932 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  07:10:20 AM  Send CorrieS an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just got a payment from Direct Scheduling and wouldn't you know, Paypal took a fee! Only $0.74 on $15.00 but still, that's 5 percent of my money. Anyone ever have any luck getting those fees reimbursed?

Corrie S.
MSPA Silver Certified
shopping NYC & Nassau County... and willing to travel...
Go to Top of Page

Beth in TheWineCountry
Valued Contributor

CA
USA
161 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2008 :  2:21:30 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just had this happen with a payment as well. $.62 was taken out of a small reinbursement/pay. I am not happy! I hope the company gives me the additional $ they owe me. Otherwise, I might deactivate myself from the database....

Beth

Gold Certified shopper happily evaluating
the North SF bay area
Go to Top of Page

CorrieS
Star Contributor

Briarwood, NY
USA
932 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  06:47:17 AM  Send CorrieS an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
This note is for CynBar who posted about this on another thread (I see Ray referred you to this one). As you can see above this happened to me. I had no luck getting the fee back, but for future shops with this particular company, I have opted to be paid by check, rather than Paypal. Good luck, I know it's frustrating!

Corrie S.
MSPA Silver Certified
shopping NYC & Nassau County... and willing to travel...
Go to Top of Page

Irene Potter
Contributor

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  5:18:57 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I was just looking at the Premier and Business account levels to see what they charge and found that if you go through most of the levels, they automatically sign you up. I tried to cancel at the end and found after logging out and back in that I was still marked at the Premier level. To change back, I had to call customer service. Fees are a minimum of 1% of the transaction and can go as high as 6% of the transaction. When I downgraded back to the personal level, I was informed by the representative that this can only be done once. Keep that in mind if you decide to make the change. This may not seem like a lot of money, but we don't get paid that much and it puts you in the negative if you do reimbursement only shops as I do from time to time for fine dining.

Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

Alan-Texas
Star Contributor

Arlington, TX
USA
542 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  9:12:48 PM  Visit Alan-Texas's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Although I have never been charged a fee from PayPal for receiving money, I remembered that at one time there was something like a $500 or $600 limit on how much you could receive before you had to upgrade. Since reading this thread made me curious, I went to the PayPal site and looked at their Fees link.

For Personal Accounts, received payments funded by a PayPal Balance, PayPal Instant Transfer or PayPal eCheck are free. For Premiere/Business Accounts you are charged 1.9% to 2.9% + $0.30 USD.

Personal Accounts can receive a limited number of payments funded by a Credit Card, Debit Card or Buyer Credit (maximum of 5 per year), with fees of 4.9% + $0.30 USD (eBay and eBay Express payments cannot be received on a Personal Account by these methods).

In addition, I just now came across the payment page for one of the MSCs I do work for (not sure if it's okay to mention which one or not). This particular MSC has both PayPal and Direct Deposit options for their shoppers. Under their PayPal option, they state that "Due to the transaction fees imposed by PayPal, Corporate Research International will be deducting the fee from your payment to cover the costs. The fee is 3% or a maximum of $1.50."

The above MSC used to only offer PayPal as their payment option when I first started working for them three years ago. And they didn't charge you the PayPal fees. I bet the PayPal Fee charge started sometime after they began offering a Direct Deposit option.

Looks like it's time I visit all the MSCs that pay me via PayPal to see who is charging their PayPal fees to me.

Alan A.
MSPA Silver Certified
Shopping the Dallas / Ft. Worth area since 2005
Go to Top of Page

Carol C
Star Contributor

Washington, DC
USA
436 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2008 :  11:34:30 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just talked to PayPal. You cannot have a Personal account if you receive more than a certain amount via PayPal. Because I receive more than that in mystery shopping fees alone, I have to have a Premium account.

With a Premier account, you are not charged a fee if the payor uses the Mass Payment option. However, if the payor does not use the Mass Payment option, each recipient incurs a fee.

I'm currently fighting a fee of over $6 on a transaction that was a little under $200. The MSC blames PayPal, PayPal blames the MSC, and meanwhile I'm the one spending more time on the phone than the fee is worth trying to get it all resolved. Sigh!

Washington, DC-area Gold Certified #cr5xij
MSPA Rookie Shopper of the Year 2007
Go to Top of Page

ShopperDee
Star Contributor

USA
416 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2008 :  09:20:05 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carol C

I just talked to PayPal. You cannot have a Personal account if you receive more than a certain amount via PayPal. Because I receive more than that in mystery shopping fees alone, I have to have a Premium account.

For MSCs that don't require your main email address to be your PayPal address, you can get another PP addy. That way, you can have two or more accounts with the limit, rendering it unnecessary for you to incur fees.

Dee
MSPA Gold
Go to Top of Page

TimothyCA
Valued Contributor

CA
USA
149 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2008 :  1:02:17 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Just to clarify the Personal level PayPal account receiving limit of $500 and to what types of payments that limit applies. (Bolding added by me.) Quoting PayPal:

"Receiving limit: The maximum amount you can receive before you must upgrade to a Business or Premier account. This limit is reset every month. Receiving limits apply only to the following payment types: eBay Items, Auction Goods (non-eBay), and other Goods. No other payment types affect your receiving limit."

You can view this information on the "My Account Overview" main page by clicking on "view limits" in the upper right corner of the "PayPal Balance" summary box.

Timothy
MSPA GOLD Certified
Go to Top of Page

Cassy S.
Valued Contributor

Seattle, Washington
USA
131 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  4:42:57 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hoping someone can help me figure out this Paypal stuff. I have a Premier account that I set up 4 years ago (don't remember doing this) I have just begun mystery shopping and I get paid to Paypal. I want to get the debit card. I have tried to read the Paypal pages and I'm simply confused.

Two Questions:

1. Am I going to be charged by Paypal to use the debit card?

2. Should I switch to a personal account?

Thanks, everyone on here has been great while I try to figure out this new life of mystery shopping.

Cassy
Love to shop the greater Seattle area.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums