Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

PJLaw1
Star Contributor

Nowhereville, NW
USA
370 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  8:41:46 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
1. No. They actually give you cash back.

2. Depends on what you do with the account. I used to make enough interest on my account to offset the fees from selling on ebay. That disappeared with the economy.

Philip
Silver Certified
Shopping Eastern NC
Go to Top of Page

Deb_D
Apprentice

Menifee, CA
USA
3 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2009 :  2:40:20 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I was just charged a fee for receiving money on a mystery shop. I have a personal Paypal account. It appears (and I have an email into Paypal requesting confirmation), that they implemented a new TOS on 6/3/09 which means that any payment for services will be charged a fee. There is no way I am going to start forking over 3% of all my mystery shopping pay to Paypal - especially since sometimes the majority of the fee is to reimburse me for money spent. Has anyone else experienced this? Are there any alternatives besides going back to checks (and de-activating from the many companies that will only let you shop if you accept Paypal payments)?
Go to Top of Page

CorrieS
Star Contributor

Briarwood, NY
USA
932 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2009 :  06:37:25 AM  Send CorrieS an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Deb_D

It appears (and I have an email into Paypal requesting confirmation), that they implemented a new TOS on 6/3/09 which means that any payment for services will be charged a fee.

Deb, is it PAYPAL that is implementing this fee, or is it a particular m/s company? Sounds from your email like it's Paypal. I am going to watch very closely. My Paypal account is actually a business account but I have only ever been charged fees by one company, and for them I switched back to paper checks.

Corrie S.
MSPA Silver Certified
shopping NYC & Nassau County... and willing to travel...
Go to Top of Page

CariTX
Valued Contributor

Plano, TX
USA
201 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2009 :  06:43:38 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have received two payments via PayPal since June 1, a Pinecone survey payment and Gfk MS payment, and neither had fees taken out. I have a premier (business) Paypal account.

MSPA GOLD Certified gdhls4. Happily shopping and merchandising in North Texas
Go to Top of Page

LindaE
Valued Contributor

Billings, MT
USA
203 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2009 :  09:58:12 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have received one payment via PayPal in June with no fee taken out. I have a premier account as well.

LindaE
Go to Top of Page

Deb_D
Apprentice

Menifee, CA
USA
3 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2009 :  11:48:04 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all your input. I am now more confused than ever. Not from your responses, but from this response that I got from Paypal:

I can understand your concern and frustration. This is a recent new
change to PayPal. As a one time courtesy, I have cancelled the fee and the $.73 is back in your PayPal balance. You may review this fee changeon our website on the bottom footer of any page, labeled 'Fees.' Since this was for a service, there was a fee.

That response coupled with the fact that at the same time I got paid by a different mystery shopping company and there was no fee taken out - even though it was also for a "service" - has me completely stumped. The shop where I was charged the fee was for a company I had not shopped for previously, so maybe the way they processed it made the fee show up - but Paypal has had a change in their fee policy, so we are all going to have to be on our toes.

If anyone has any other ideas what our alternatives are or why this seeming conflict between the policy and the payments, I'd love to hear from you. Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Deb_D
Apprentice

Menifee, CA
USA
3 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2009 :  1:48:17 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Per a second email from Paypal, if the sender does mass payment, then the seller pays the fee and the receiver does not. So maybe that first payment I received was not sent in a mass payment....
Go to Top of Page

CariTX
Valued Contributor

Plano, TX
USA
201 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2009 :  5:01:28 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
A few times in the past I have had fees taken out of my MS payments, but it was because of the way that the MSP paid Paypal. I don't really understand the technicalities, but there was nothing I could do about it, and it only happened a few times.

I'm confused about their new policy too - what determines if the payment is for "services"? I would think an MS assignment would be a service, but maybe they look at it as a contractor payment (aka labor costs). I give up...

MSPA GOLD Certified gdhls4. Happily shopping and merchandising in North Texas
Go to Top of Page

SusanToonces
Valued Contributor

Queens, NY
USA
167 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2009 :  09:38:22 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just received some money for a ms job and $5 was taken out of my check by Paypal. why?

I've gotten paid before via Paypal and no money was taken out. I'm just a regular person, no business account.

I've asked Paypal but no answer yet.

Thansk.

Susan

Susan
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums