Printer Friendly

Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

HarmonyGirl

Louisville, KY
USA
35 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2005 :  08:13:53 AM  Send HarmonyGirl an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hello,

This may seem like a strange topic, but here is my situation. I am a single Christian female (although I was raised Jewish, that's a whole different story!) and I have lived in Florida all my life. I spent 18 years in Miami and nearly 18 years in Orlando, where I currently reside. I have no family, and my only tie to this area is my job (which I don't really like either). For years, I have wanted to move but didn't know how or where.

I would like to ask the group, where they live and if they love it, why. I am looking for what I hope is not an impossible dream. My goals in moving are to:

1) Enjoy a safer place to live -- crime is so high here
2) Find a job of course, to afford that safer place to live (I currently work with computers/IT)
3) Benefit from affordable housing -- prices on homes in Orlando start around $200k for anything in a decent area and that price range is very tough for a single person

Climate is secondary, but I have never seen snow -- being the native Floridian that I am. What is key for me is quality of life. Financially, spiritually, and logistically, I crave change and seek a new place with like-minded people with similar values. If I could find a place with affordable acreage, that would be a big plus as I love open spaces and animals.

Thanks for reading this perhaps odd request,
Harmony

MSPA GOLD Certified ~ Shopping Louisville, KY and surrounding areas

CarolynNC
Star Contributor

Landis, NC
USA
1204 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2005 :  08:46:07 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I live in a VERY small town in NC called Landis (just outside of Kannapolis). I absolutely LOVE this town. It is quiet most of the time and the people are friendly.
We do live close to some large cities (Concord, Charlotte, Mooresville) so we have things to do. The only thing I would change is the fact that I live right on the main HWY (HWY 29) going through, and it can get loud with the traffic sometimes. Not much in the way of crime here, although I imagine that there is, we just don't hear about it. Afterall, we don't live in a fantasy town. The ice cream trucks still roll around playing their happy tunes all through spring and summer.

I'm not asleep....I'm checking for light leaks! :)
Go to Top of Page

LauraB
Star Contributor

Frederick, MD
USA
921 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2005 :  08:49:43 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I like where I live, but it is expensive and not a great area for singles, from what I have heard. Here is an interesting article I found:

http://money.cnn.com/best/bplive/providence.html

I actually envy your ability to move without having to break ties. Very exciting to think about! Have fun.

MSPA Gold Certified #4xgoix
Go to Top of Page

Heather86
Star Contributor

Bourbonnais (S. of Chicago), IL
USA
2015 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2005 :  08:54:47 AM  Visit Heather86's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I like where I live because we still have farms around us, but we also have malls and are an hour away from Chicago. However, house prices have doubled in the 5 years that we lived here and it is growing so fast, that all the farms are being bought up quickly. I am afraid that my 45 minute 35 mile commute through the corn fields to work will soon turn into a hassle and I will have to find a new job closer to home, or a new home closer to work.
Go to Top of Page

StacyGA
Valued Contributor

Lawrenceville, Georgia
USA
137 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2005 :  09:16:20 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I LOVE where I live. I live in Lawrenceville, Georgia which is a suburb of Atlanta. It is a good size town (not too big, not too small), and it is just far away from the big city. There is so much to do in the surrounding areas. We have 3 malls close to me not to mention all the ones around Atlanta, the new aquarium is opening up soon in Atlanta, there is Six Flags, there are tons of sporting events. There is something for everyone.
We go to an awesome church that is really large, but from what I understand, it has a excellent singles department. I know they do lots of activities and have even gone on a cruise together.
Since I am a stay-at-home mom, I don't really know how good the job market is. My brother-in-law got a job very easily right out of college just recently and my dad got his job very easily and they both work in computers too (I think they do support, but I'm not sure).
Now crime is a different story. I wouldn't say it is that bad in the suburbs, but it is isn't good in the city. I have to say though, that I don't worry about crime - I feel fairly safe where I live. Of course after watching the news lately you see that bad things can happen even in the quietest towns.
I think housing is affordable here too. Houses start around $110k (not a new house, but still nice) on up. You can get a new house for $150k in some areas.
Well I didn't mean to go on and on, but I really do love Georgia. Good luck with whatever you decide.
I have family who live in Lexington, Kentucky and I think that is a great place to live too!

StacyGA
Go to Top of Page

NatalieH
Contributor

USA
8291 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2005 :  09:22:49 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I am lukewarm about Cincinnati. I neither love it, nor hate it. I grew up in the piedmont region of South Carolina and we vacation in the mountains of North Carolina every year. I absolutely love the mountains, but I am not sure I would want to live there year round. I do truly miss the Carolinas, but there are many things about that area that I don't like. I am one of those people who needs variety. To be honest, I really think it depends on each individual. What may be perfect for me might be dismal for someone else. I am still searching for my Utopia!
Go to Top of Page

LisaBGoesShopping
Star Contributor

PA
USA
3092 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2005 :  11:41:18 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Check out this website:
http://www.bestplaces.net/

Also, I'm not sure it's still being published, but there used to be a book called the Places Rated Almanac. You can probably find it in your library, perhaps in the reference section if it's not on the shelves. Even if it's a few years out of date, it will still give you a good sense of what kinds of things to consider in a community and what cities and towns are like.

You don't say what you do in IT. If you're a tech support person who can work just about anywhere maintaining a company's computers, you have a lot of flexibility. If you're in a field like software development, you'll need to be in an area where there are companies creating software -- and those are often more expensive areas to live in. OTOH, presumably you make good money in IT. If not, consider that Florida is one of the lowest paying areas for IT, and expect that your salary will go up if you move almost anywhere else.

Of course you don't want to live in a high-crime area. But is reasonably safe okay, or do you want a super-safe area? I used to live in Philadelphia, in an area I'd characterize as moderate crime. Many neighborhoods in the northeast end of the city had less crime, but you still locked your door and car. I'm now in a suburb west of Philly where some people feel no need to lock their doors or cars -- I still do. But I have to drive at least a few miles to get anywhere; there's no corner store, no sidewalks, nowhere to walk except the narrow, two-lane streets that have no shoulders to them.

Affordable housing areas, I've learned, usually coincide with lower wages.

Okay, why I like where I am (in the Philadelphi area): a beautiful part of the country, very leafy and green. Lots of wooded parks to walk through, all the culture you could wish in the city itself, much more affordable than, say, the Boston and NYC areas. I rent, and here I can actually get an apartment in a picturesque old house rather than a blah box in a modern apartment complex.

What I hate: the climate. Much too hot and humid in the summers, too many hot days even in spring/fall/winter, and never enough real snow in the winter (I grew up in Michigan). When it does snow, it either melts then freezes into ice or comes down as a miserable mess of ice and rain. This is far more dangerous to drive and walk in than real snow.
Go to Top of Page

.StephanieA
Inactive

Redmond, WA
USA
1816 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2005 :  1:03:07 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'm from Hawaii and I love it there, right now we live in the rainy cold state of Washington because that is where hubby is from. We are in an area that has lots of malls and lots of things to do not a far drive away. Crime is everywhere, but needless to say it is really not that bad in this area of Redmond. Seattle is a 20 minute drive away on a good day. Jobs here are few and far between. So it is not a good move for someone who does not already have a job. As soon as hubby can locate a hotel hiring in Hawaii for engineers were gone. I miss my warm island home

Shopping WA especially, Redmond, Kirkland, Bellevue, Woodinville and from Tukwila to Lynnwood.
MSPA Gold
Go to Top of Page

Vonette
Star Contributor

Walla Walla, WA
USA
867 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2005 :  1:39:01 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The eastern end of WA is not rainy or cold. I love it here! Southeastern WA is actually classified as a desert area, but the Walla Walla valley is known as an oasis. We have lovely views of the Blue Mountains, particularly now that it's spring when they really live up to their name (Blue). Walla Walla is surrounded by orchards, vineyards, and produce farms. We get wonderful fresh fruit and vegetables here all summer and fall (especially Walla Walla sweet onions!).

Climate here is wonderful too. Walla Walla advertises itself as the town that averages 300 sunny days a year. Most of our rain comes in the winter. Once we hit May, it is usually one clear blue day after another until November. Humidity is very low (especially compared to FL), so the 100 degree summer days don't seem all that hot to me. When we used to get 100 degree days in Omaha with 60+pecent humidity, it felt VERY much hotter! Also, though the temperature can soar during the day in summer here, the nights cool off quickly and always get down into the low 60s. It really cools your house down. Winters here are mild with occassional snowfall that melts within a day and some freezing rain now and then. Spring is quite early compared to Omaha. We had daffodils blooming at the end of February, and right now the lilacs and dogwoods are in full flower. It seems like there are always lots of trees and bushes in bloom from February through early May here.

I love the town of Walla Walla itself. It's just small enough to have that smalltown feel, be easy to get around, and feel safe. We have a marvelous downtown shopping area. Our Main Street is lined with quaint shops, art galleries (lots of local artists here), and wine tasting rooms. There are some marvelous bronze sculptures by local artists on Main Street as well, and they have a farmer's market every Saturday through the summer and fall.

Many neighborhoods here are filled with well-kept Victorian homes. I've always been partial to older homes, and this town is the best I've ever seen for preserving them. I am forever seeing deteriorating houses getting bought and renovated. Prices are quite low too, starting around 100,000. We have a huge park at the center of town with an aviary, huge duck pond, fountains, a whole forest of towering trees, and a large gazebo where many community events are held.

Another advantage to the area is the nearness of the mountains. Skiing is less than an hour's drive away in the Blues. Camping and hiking opportunities are endless. One of my favorite retreats is Wallowa Lake down in Oregon (less than two hour's drive). It's right up in the mountains "surrounded by snow-capped peaks". There is a state park there with nice camping facilities.

I'm sure that life here isn't for everyone. The nearest truly large city is 3 hours away in Spokane, although you can buy most anything in the TriCities (which are only an hour). But I'm a small-town girl at heart. We lived in Portland, OR, for a few years, and it is a lovely city (for a CITY), but coming here was like a breath of fresh air. Portland and Seattle and Boise are all about equi-distant from here (4 1/2 hour drive). I just could not deal with the price of housing or the traffic (especially in Seattle). After a few years of wandering, I think my husband and I have settled here permanently. We hate moving, and we've had to do way too much of it.
Go to Top of Page

HarmonyGirl

Louisville, KY
USA
35 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2005 :  1:51:37 PM  Send HarmonyGirl an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
A few more comments on what I am looking for:

1) Crime / safety - this is probably tops on my list. I am a crime victim, and I am trying to piece my life back together. I have no desire to live in a big city, and crime statistics are going to be crucial in helping me decide where to work and live.

2) Climate - although I have never seen snow, I don't want to rule it out. I feel invigorated by cool crisp weather. I feel drained by heat and humidity. However, driving on ice seems scary, and shoveling out a driveway (I am single) every morning also seems impossible. Aren't there machines that can blow away the snow or something? I don't mean to sound dumb, but I just have no experience with this.

3) Jobs / salaries - I am more concerned with what I get to keep than an arbitrary number I would earn. I make a good salary now, but I commute 125 miles round trip to work. Gas/toll prices are insane, and I am not happy with the situation.

I realize that for a computer-type job (which btw, I do software testing), I will probably have to work in a city. However, working in a dangerous city will probably not be good for my overall well-being.

MSPA GOLD Certified ~ Shopping Louisville, KY and surrounding areas
Go to Top of Page

NatalieH
Contributor

USA
8291 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2005 :  3:06:28 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Alright, Vonette--you've convinced me. I'm moving to where you live!
Go to Top of Page

LisaBGoesShopping
Star Contributor

PA
USA
3092 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2005 :  3:46:53 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Harmony Girl, I do software testing, too, and I'm looking for a job right now, so I won't urge you to move to my area!

But I will say that while you do have to be in an area where software development is going on, it doesn't have to be in a big city. Many companies are in suburbs outside of cities, so you can live close by in the 'burbs or even a bit farther out in a rural area.

You mentioned that heat and humidity are hard for you. For me, too! How do you ever manage to live in Florida? I'd say that rules out the Atlanta area, too (and yes, Atlanteans, I know it has been known to snow there, but it's more often hot and humid).

What about Utah? I believe it's more dry than humid, there's a sizable Christian population (it's not all Mormon), it has software development out there, and because it's not a top-popular area, prices should be more affordable. And I've heard it has some of the most beautiful land in the country.

In Arizona, the state capital area of Phoenix is where most of the software development is. Phoenix is HOT but pretty dry. There are some beautiful suburbs there, like Tempe and Mesa.
Go to Top of Page

KristenNC
Star Contributor

Charlotte, NC
USA
326 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2005 :  4:55:19 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Go to:
http://www.findyourspot.com/
It is fun to do and it was pretty accurate with me!
I have lived in NC and VA most of my life and I believe that there are areas in both of those states that could meet your requirements. Asheville NC and the Blacksburg/Roanoke areas of VA are great spots. I live not too far from Charlotte NC but have lived in Williamsburg VA and Norfolk/Newport News VA. If you would like more information on any of those places, contact me.
Go to Top of Page

KellyBear
Star Contributor

Fairfax, VA
USA
1198 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2005 :  2:25:19 PM  Send KellyBear an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I live in the D.C. area now, which is out for you, but...

I lived in Raleigh, NC for 5 years. I really enjoyed it there... low crime, lots of jobs (esp. in computers, I would imagine), affordable living, etc. The problem? Unbearably humid in the summers.

I grew up in a small town in Northeastern Ohio. I love going back to visit... definitely affordable housing, low crime (so long as you're not in a big city like Cleveland), etc. Plenty of smaller cities (i.e. Canton, New Philadelphia, etc.) to work in without working in big cities. Warm in the summer, cold/snow in the winter. The best falls and springs I've ever experienced!

Snow is a pain in the behind, but in places like Ohio, they are used to snow, and roads are cleared much more quickly and efficiently than, say, here in the D.C. area. Find a small enough town and the neighborhood kids will shovel your driveway for you for some cookies.

But it all really takes visiting and feeling a place out before deciding anything. I'd love to live in New England, but since I've never been there, I can't say for sure if I really do!
Go to Top of Page

SelenePN
Star Contributor

Fairfax, VA
USA
942 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2005 :  1:24:09 PM  Send SelenePN an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Currently, I live in Fairfax, VA (same as Kelly). Considering the climate and/or the housing affordability, I agree with her that this would not be a good place for you. But I am going to reply anyway, because I really love this place. Hopefully the information may be useful for someone else.

1) Crime / Safety - Comparing to where I used to live (College Park/Hyattsville, Maryland), Fairfax is great. Hyattsville is a collage town, so there are too many parties and crimes, especially near the campus. I would be afraid to go out after dark, and there were crimes reported weekly in my neighborhood. It's definitely a place to stay away. On the contrary, I am in a good neighborhood now. When I first moved to this house, there was a problem with my door lock. I found the front door wide open a few times, but there was nothing missing in the house. I was lucky (and of course I got the lock fixed), but that tells me this area is much safer.

2) Climate - Comparing to where I grew up (subtropical Taipei, Taiwan), I have to say the winter is way too cold for me. I also hate to drive in the snow or to shovel them out of my driveway. However, as long as you don't live too far out, the county government responds fairly quickly on clearing the streets and the community roads. If you don't have a single family house with a huge yard, you don't really have too much snow to shovel. I have a townhouse with a driveway in front of my one-car garage, so it takes me about 2 hours to clear it. I think we get about 2 to 6 inches, but sometimes 12 inches in extreme snow storms. In terms of number of days, I think we get about a total of 15 days or so of snow during winter. Kelly you can correct me if I am wrong. I never really counted it. My DH grew up in Illinois, so this is nothing. He also laughs at our local schools and businesses/government being closed when there is a mere 2-inch snow. The temperature in winter (general terms) is 30-40 during the day and 0-30 at night. Summer is comfortable for me and I almost never have to turn on the a/c in my car. The temperature (again, generally) is about 80-90 during the day and 60-75 at night. I have heard many people complaining about the humidity, but it feels pretty dry to me (again I am from Taiwan).

3) Jobs / Salaries - You said you are a computer software tester. I would think there should be no problem for you to find a job here (well, still depending on your specific skills). Fairfax and surrounding areas are filled with IT jobs. Dulles (12 miles away) is called "the Second Silicon Valley." Also, you can negotiate to work from home. I am also an IT Consultant and I work from home 2 to 3 days a week. The salary level should be higher than average here. Fairfax County has the highest medium income in the whole country. In terms of MS jobs, there are way more than I can handle.

4) Cost of Living - This will vary depending on what you want or where you go. The gas (as of today) is $2.32, which is quite high. However, after you know your way around, you can get fairly decent prices on almost everything. For example, there is a gas station about 12 miles away, the price is usually 10-15 cents lower per gallon. It is worth the drive (especially when I combine it with a shop). One thing I love about Fairfax is that you can find the highest-end shops and the lowest-end shops. So you can spend lots of money and pamper yourself one day, and be frugal and bargain hunting the other day.

5) Housing - Fairfax is getting more and more crowded, that's for sure. In the last few years, many more trees have been cut down and new townhouses crammed in tiny spaces. I am sad to see the trees go, but this is unavoidable. The prices for housing are very high. As of the beginning of 2005, the condos are going for $200+K, townhouses $400+K, and I am not surprised to hear single family homes for over half a million. It's scary, but I just tell myself - this is still better than California! And I really get what I am paying for - the convenience. So I have nothing to complain.

6) Entertainment - Fairfax is about 30 miles away from Downtown Washington DC, where all the tour spots are. I enjoy taking the metro downtown, and walk through all the museums on a beautiful sunny day. Or, you can drive about 30 miles to Great Falls, MD and Great Falls, VA, where you can enjoy hiking and the outdoors. My favorite short weekend getaway is to the Shenandoah National Park. Historical Williamsburg, Busch Gardens, Kings Dominion etc is also only 2 hours away. The beaches (DE or VA) are about 3 hours away. For indoors, there are tons of shopping malls, fine dining restaurants, and movie theaters right around the corner. Comparing to the boring and quiet Norfolk, VA, I like Fairfax so much better.

7) Transportation - You still need a car, but the public transportation is quite helpful if you are going to downtown DC or east bound, including Regan National Airport and many other places. I would do anything to avoid driving in DC. Unfortunately, Fairfax/Vienna is the final stop on the metro rail, so you can't go any further west on the train. I wish they would expand the metro rail and build another stop or two to the west. But that means cutting down more trees too. There are also other trains and local buses. I live 3 miles from my work with back road accessibility, so I don't have commuting problems. But just as any other metropolitan areas, the rush hour traffic can be bad depending on where you are trying to go. The good thing is that everything is nearby. You have pretty much every business you ever need in a 5-mile radius.

Thanks,
Selene
Go to Top of Page

MrsKenna
Star Contributor

Oxnard, CA
USA
1641 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2005 :  9:58:53 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I like where I live but I do not love it. I live in Oxnard, CA. Not a good place for singles, couples or folks with kids if you want a house!! Houses are $600K and up. A condo will cost you $350K and up and it might not be in a good neighborhood. Gas is $2.45 today.

Jobs are ok but you will have to DRIVE all over the county. My county is Ventura County. You can check it out on the web though.

Some of the benefits are the weather is always nice. I do not have air conditioning because we don't need it here.

Crime is rather high in this city..but it seems to be concentrated in a certain area. There are gangs here and we have a city injunction on the gang bangers. I stay out of those areas. It's a residential area and no one I know lives there.

CALIFORNIA- Oxnard, Camarillo, Ventura, Port Hueneme and neighboring cities
Go to Top of Page

BlueAbe
Star Contributor

Mid-Central, Ohio
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2005 :  11:30:37 AM  Visit BlueAbe's Homepage  Send BlueAbe an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I like west Michigan, where I live. I have moved to several states. Other than West Florida, West Michigan has seemed to be the best. 2 hours away is Chicago one way, Detroit/Canada is 2 1/2 hours the other day. You have a variation of everything here, snowy winters, and cold/hot summers. Each day is something different. It can be 80 degrees one day, and it can be a blazing blizzard the next day!

It's really not that expensive, but unfornately, with the collapse of the auto industry in michigan, jobs aren't the world's easiest to get. It's mainly customer service work.

An average house around here goes between $50k+ depending where you want to live. If you want to live in Kalamazoo, its a little more expensive than living in one of the little small towns. But be careful, in these small towns, there's no home delivery for USPS. You have to have a PO Box. Some MS companies throw a fit and won't hire you if you use a PO box, and you have to fight to get a mail-in rebate on occasion.

It's a great place to enjoy, and really, no crime at all! Just beware of the occasional pile of horse doo from the Amish carriages around here!

Gold certified since the beginning. Merchandising, Mystery shopping, & Court Research throughout Mid-Central Ohio.
Go to Top of Page

ShawnaL
Star Contributor

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2005 :  10:39:53 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I really love Washington state as previous posters have said. The trees are all tall and the weather is not so bad. I prefer the city of Seattle and surrounding areas. Everyone is super friendly there and I loved living there. I always felt safe walking around at night alone or with people. The ferries are a blast to go around on. Anacortes is a cute town up by the border, but I don't think the job market is as good up there. Just be sure not to move under a volcano

OTOH, SoCal is nice, but expensive (there are a growing number of IT jobs here). I love the fact that I can drive to Vegas, the mountains, or the beach in one day (even Baja, if you so desire). San Francisco is close enough for weekend getaways and coastal drives are the best. A really great area is San Luis Obispo, I have never lived there myself, but everyone that I know that has, loved it.

Anyway, there are affordable housing programs available in SoCal to make house payments reachable for low-middle income people. I am sure that there are similar programs throughout the country. Crime occurs everywhere. As long as you are aware of your surroundings, keep your belongings, home, and car secure, and be wary as to who you let into your personal life, you will be okay.

Shawna
Go to Top of Page

Erin Carmody
Contributor

Raleigh, NC
USA
62 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2005 :  8:37:45 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I feel like I can answer that question for a lot of different places - I move around WAY too much. Lets start where I was born and raised -

New Bedford, MA - Providence, RI
All I can say that if you have seen the show "Providence" its nothing like that. Yes, the New England area is wonderful for leaves changing, good beaches, short day trips and the such but it is very expensive compared to the salary you make. Houses routinely go for $300,000 plus if you want a good area with low crime but you still only will make $40,000 or so on a professional mid level job. If you are a receptionist or something you will only make around 11.00/hr and if you are the bank president you probably make around 80,000 - so it really doesn't compare to the prices of things! The crime can be very bad, and it is highly congested because it is such a small area with way too many people.

Ft. Lauderdale, FL - I wouldn't recommend this to my worst enemy. HOT HOT - and yes FREAKING HOT!! Its expensive, too trendy, too darn vacation like.

Harrisburg, PA - cheap cost of living, but fairly small wages. Crime is low with the exception of downtown. Nothing really to do there, nothing beautiful about it. Its sort of in a downward spiral due to increasing poverty and not many jobs

Raleigh, NC - this is where I live now and I have to say that for a nature lover this is the greatest. We moved here for our son, they have some of the best schools (although not all of them are), very low cost of living with decent wages, and more parks and nature things to do then people know what to do with! The spring is beautiful - I have not spent a summer here but I hear that it is absolutely horrendous. Of course then you hear "but everything is air conditioned" Who cares?? Its still hot! I think it will be as hot as So. Fl but it doesn't last as long so I think I can deal with it just to get over those very cold, very snowy New England winters. Anyhow, the people are friendly, but no one actually was born and raised here. Its just a melting pot of people moving from other places in the country because of the inexpensive housing market and many many jobs. I would recommend it though, I love it so far and for me to love somewhere I live is very very rare!

Edited to note: It is a highly spiritual and christain area, but I think that is what makes it so wonderful. People are very into their religion (and there are a lot of religions here) and I personally think it makes them more family concious and so forth. I am not a religious person so its taken a bit of getting used to but I find that a community with higher religious values tend to have a better community. The IT/tech jobs are plentiful here with the RTP center in Raleigh/Durham which from what I hear is one of the larges IT/Tech places around short of Silicon Valley - in fact I think that they are called a "mini Silicon Valley". It is very affordable for single people and it is rated one of the best dating cities!! To find acerage you would have to move to a small town right outside of Raleigh, but there are plenty between here and RTP - my mom just bought a house in Youngsville with 1 1/2 acres for 148,000. So, it defintely can be done and I think this might suit you here!

Silver certified ~ happily shopping Raleigh and surrounding areas
Go to Top of Page

KarynPA
Star Contributor

Middletown, PA
USA
382 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2005 :  05:23:02 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have to disagree with Erin on Harrisburg, PA. I'm in Mechanicsburg which is only 10 miles south of Harrisburg. I like where I live now because it's green, beautiful and surrounded by mountains, yet there is plenty to do - a lot of it free or very cheap. I wouldn't reccomend it for singles, but it's a great place to raise a family as the schools here are fantastic. I have found that the wages are pretty much in line with the cost of living here.
I think the best place I have ever lived was Virginia Beach. The cost of living was not bad, there was plenty to do whether you like the nightlife, nature, history or just about anything else and jobs were pretty easy to come by when I was there. Of course that was ten years ago....

MSPA Gold n4fxv4 -Shopping South-Central PA
Go to Top of Page

AnnetteMocabee
Valued Contributor

Hawaii
USA
158 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2005 :  11:10:54 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I love where I live. I live on the Kona side of the Big Island of Hawaii. The climate is wonderful 70's in winter and 80's in summer. You can go to the beach whenever you want, and the Aloha spirit is so great here. Everyone is so kind. The only problems are the gas prices and housing prices. I say it's the cost of living in "paradise"

Annette - Shopping the west side of the beautiful Big Island of Hawaii - Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums