Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

SarahH
Star Contributor

MI
USA
313 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2005 :  07:48:43 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I would highly reccomend Michigan! I love it here. We currently reside in northern michigan.... in the base of the thumb, and love it. At 20 and 23 years of age my new husband and I were able to purchase a two story home, with three bedrooms and three acres of land for under $100,000! If you are considering the move to michigan you will truly have the best of both worlds. Our summers are hot with great nightlife, and our winters are cold and snowy! Perfect for sleding and winter activities. A move to Michigan would also mean you can take advantage of our great lakes! They are great for swimming, or any number of other things. Our school systems here are among the best- in my opinion. Housing is not to terribly expensive- and its a great time to buy right now! ;) I LOVE michigan and i'm sure you would too!
Go to Top of Page

.Amy S
Inactive

Grimshaw, Alberta
Canada
42 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2005 :  11:19:49 AM  Visit .Amy S's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I live in a small community in northern Alberta. There is no traffic lights, and as I live a block from downtown, all I hear at night is the sound of birds. There are many farms here, which consist of buffalo, elk, and regular old cows. At night you can see so many stars which make our world look like such a small part (which it is). There is no air polution, and the winds bring fresh invigorating scents. (Not from cows)

Amy Szostak - Scheduler, Consumer Connection Inc.
Amy@ConsumerConnection.net
www.ConsumerConnection.net
http://cc.shopmetrics.com/shopperSignup.asp
Go to Top of Page

SandieS
Star Contributor

Long Island, NY
USA
504 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2005 :  08:46:29 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I used to like where I live. Now, the traffic and population growth has gotten to the point where it takes 20 minutes to travel 3 miles to the grocery store. Not kidding. It's ridiculous.

I can count on traffic anywhere I go. Forget about Deer Park Avenue at 1:00 in the afternoon.

The beaches are nice here, and you can still go out east on the north shore and enjoy what's left of the farms. However, the traffic out there is getting a little ridiculous too.

My biggest pet peeve is that there are really no good museums or zoos nearby. And when you do find something to do out here, it's extremely expensive.

Taxes are through the roof. I pay close to $6,000 now, and that's considered a bargain, considering I live near the water.

Yep, I used to love Long Island, but it's slowly losing it's charm.

MSPA Silver Certified
Shopping Suffolk and Nassau Counties on Long Island, New York
Go to Top of Page

KAnderson

MN
USA
49 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2005 :  5:13:15 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have to chime in for Minnesota.

Crime is fairly low, depending on area of course. I'm in St. Paul, and for a larger town it is not bad.

The Minneapolis area just got reviewed to be one of the most technological areas in the country (ok, stop laughing, really) by a national publication. There are lots of large Tech companies here.

Housing here is not bad, again depending on area. I've seen suburban houses going for around 100,000.

As for sharing your values, my neighborhood in St. Paul only has one place of worship nearby- with traditional Jewish services and a Jewish community center.

I like the climate too. You get the best of both worlds. Sledding and skiing in the winter, and boating and swimming in the summer. Plus you get two or more wardrobes...so it feels like you get new clothes every 6 months, but you've just forgotten what you own :)

Kristin
Go to Top of Page

VickieB
Contributor

Mocksville, NC
USA
69 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2005 :  7:17:12 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
OK, here is another plug for the great State of NC! I have lived here my entire life and can't imagine living anywhere else. I am located in a small town not too far from Winston-Salem.

The job market here is pretty good I believe. Dell is currently building a new plant not far from here and I'm sure that will usher in many other jobs to the area. The medical industry here is pretty hot especially Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center. The bio-technology field is growing fast too.

The city areas do have crime of course, but here in the rural areas it's very minimal. I feel safe in Winston-Salem in most areas. As with all cities, there are the "bad" areas which I stay away from.

The housing here can range in price from the mid 60's up. Also, being in the bible belt..finding a church home should not be a problem. The area has any type of denomination you could think of! And the weather...its fabulous except for summer!! It is hot and humid but not as much as Florida. We also have mild winters for the most part. We may have 2-3 snowfalls per year and it never hangs around for more than a few days!

And the best part of it all..the piedmont area is 4 hours from the coast and 2 hours from the mountains. So with very little travel time you can be enjoying a wonderful vacation!

Best of luck to you on your decision.
Go to Top of Page

KimG
Star Contributor

Orlando, FL
USA
628 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2005 :  11:44:01 AM  Send KimG an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Sorry I'm a bit late to the game. I live in Palm Beach county, FL, and I like it a lot, but I LOVED living in Orlando, and hope to someday be back there again, never to leave. I never ever felt unsafe there, the weather is almost as good as it is here in the southern parts, there is so much to do, the people are friendly, and the cost of living is lower than in south FLA. I can't imagine living in any other state. I grew up in western PA, hated it, couldn't wait to leave. I am a warm weather fiend. We only moved because of my husband's job, and although I have a nice house, I do often regret leaving Orlando. We did not own a house there, but if we had, I never would have left. My husband has worked in several areas-Birmingham, AL, Curacao, Anderson, SC. He knows I am stuck in Florida, and would leave him before I would leave paradise!

Kim
silver certified njtwnf
Go to Top of Page

Shel
Star Contributor

MI
USA
474 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2005 :  12:00:55 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KAnderson

As for sharing your values, my neighborhood in St. Paul only has one place of worship nearby- with traditional Jewish services and a Jewish community center.
Wow, we have a church on every corner in this town. I'm slightly exaggerating, but not much. This is a big Christian Reformed town. I like where we live unless someone is witnessing religion or trying to get me to join Amway. It's a large city, we are close to freeways, shopping and hospitals. Fall is the best with low humidity and nice temperatures.
Go to Top of Page

Dani-Tigger
Star Contributor

The Villages, Florida
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2005 :  09:01:19 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I grew up on the East Side of Providence RI and loved it there. Went to high school in the western part of the state which is very rural and it was gorgeous. For the most part I enjoyed RI and often miss it, I do not however miss the long cold winter and I prefer living far away from certain family members so I'd never move back. It's also pretty expensive.

I currently live in Central Florida, only about an hour north of you HarmonyGirl. As far as security goes 99% of the people I know do not lock their cars and many (including me) don't lock their houses. Crime is very miminal and usually something like drunk and disorderly or domestic violence. Even have neighborhood watches. You see people you know every time you go to the grocery store, the servers in the restaurants know your name and we've just built our own Charter School system. There are many churches in the area and the area has such a small town feel but with the amenities of a larger city. I really do love living here.

Now if I were to move at the moment I'd like to go to Chattanooga TN or somewhere near there. I just love that area.

~Tigg~
Bouncing with my Bunny in Central Florida
MSPA Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

Mazie
Star Contributor

Forest Grove, OR
USA
468 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2005 :  10:11:55 PM  Visit Mazie's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Nobody loves Oregon?! I do! If you like rain it is a great place to live. Portland is a great city with lots of culture, and only 1-2 hours away from several great places to go, the coast, mountains, hot springs, hiking. You can do just about anything in Oregon and they have great surfing too. And you can't beat the beautiful vegetation grown from all the rain! The climate is great you get a taste of every kind of weather but no hurricanes or tornadoes.

Gold Certified shopper, editor, editor trainer.
Shopping the Portland Metro area, willing to travel.
Go to Top of Page

ScottNY
Star Contributor

NY
USA
686 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2005 :  07:09:09 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
This topic reminded me of a neat site called FindYourSpot.com

Answer a survey about your likes, dislikes, beliefs, activities, etc. and the site will give you a list of 24 or so cities that suit you. It really is pretty neat.

http://www.findyourspot.com/

MSPA Silver Certified!
Go to Top of Page

KellyBear
Star Contributor

Fairfax, VA
USA
1198 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2005 :  09:19:14 AM  Send KellyBear an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
WOW... according to findyourspot, I should be living in Wisconsin. 10 out of my 24 results were there!
Go to Top of Page

TBennis
Star Contributor

WI
USA
639 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2005 :  09:35:47 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
WOW...I must live right where I am supposed to. The first place listed is about 25 minutes from where I live now. I have lived her my whole life and I don't think I will ever move.

Tiffany
Go to Top of Page

JanB27
Star Contributor

OH
USA
4831 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2005 :  7:00:57 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Wow, that was interesting! I went to findyourspot, and it recommended Cincinnati, OH. I grew up there and, though I liked a lot about it, was glad to leave because of politics and bigotry. I guess part of me still loves it. I think that's why it would be difficult to recommend; there are so many factors. However, there are a lot of nice communities in OH. My young adult sons say that not enough happens unless you are around Columbus or a larger city. Guess it depends on your idea of fun.

Jan
Go to Top of Page

NatalieH
Contributor

USA
8291 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2005 :  03:48:52 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
According to findyourspot, my top city pick is Little Rock, Arkansas. Huh?????

***Okay, so now I have actually read about the city, and it does sound like a great place. Hmmmm....never woulda thought it.
Go to Top of Page

Vonette
Star Contributor

Walla Walla, WA
USA
867 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2005 :  08:46:10 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I checked out Find Your Spot and was disappointed in the results. I said that I didn't mind heat but didn't like humidity. I said I liked changes of seasons. About half of my recommended spots were in Florida! I've been to Florida and would hate living in that super-humid climate. I like mountains and dry air, and they recommend swamps and flatland? Humpf! Only one city (far down the list) was recommended in the Pacific Northwest. That city is actually similar to where I live and only a couple hours away. But I still don't undertstand how they managed to find only ONE city in this region when I LOVE this region. I guess I should have selected a preferred region of the country, but I wanted to see what they would recommend based solely on my likes and dislikes.
Go to Top of Page

ShawnaL
Star Contributor

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2005 :  1:36:51 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Thanks for reminding me about this site! It had my preferences right on: Washington state, N. Carolina, or Virginia. Too bad I don't live in any of these places, but I daydream of moving all the time

Shawna
Go to Top of Page

ScottNY
Star Contributor

NY
USA
686 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2005 :  01:16:16 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I forgot to mention that, when you fill out the form at findyourspot, giving a region preference (northeast, west, etc.) makes quite an impact on your selections. Unless you're really deciding to move, I suggest leaving that blank.

MSPA Silver Certified!
Go to Top of Page

JGallica
Star Contributor

Vancouver, BC
Canada
373 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2005 :  4:06:49 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My number one city is Portland and I love Portland. I could definitely imagine myself living there, though I doubt that I ever will.

Yeah I guess choosing region does make a difference though I did choose three regions. 5/25 of my results were in Oregon and 8/25 of my results were in California.

Jen

MSPA Gold Certified
Shopping North Vancouver to White Rock
Go to Top of Page

Karen Anderson

San Jose, CA
USA
24 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2005 :  11:07:31 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Mazie, How is the economy in Oregon nowadays? I understand it was pretty tough to find jobs for awhile. Has it gotten any better? DH and I are planning a trip there in mid-October to look at the area as we are considering moving up there.
Go to Top of Page

MariaGoff
Contributor

Tacoma, WA
USA
55 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2005 :  01:56:27 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Not sure if the original poster isstill keeping tabs here, but i will adda vote for Washington state. We have mild weather. We get a decent snow for a few days once a winter or so. It is never below zero. It is never above 100. Unless you head over to the eastern side of the mountains, nothing creepy crawly running around to poison or kill you.(No gators, poison snakes, black widows, scorpions etc...) The computer field is a good match here too. Microsoft is an excellent company as well as Nintendo. Bellevue is a nice place to live as well. It is a bit on the pricey side for the area, but it is convenient to everything and the commute would cost you the little bit you would save on rent/mortage moving south.

MSPA Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums