Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BlueAbe
Star Contributor

Mid-Central, Ohio
USA
2090 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2005 :  8:13:42 PM  Visit BlueAbe's Homepage  Send BlueAbe an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
http://www.macon.com/mld/ledgerenquirer/living/11368693.htm?template=contentModules/printstory.jsp

They have turned the cookie monster into the veggie monster. Cookie monster is no more.

What the heck? They're getting rid of the cookie monster? Veggie monster?!?! Some things you can't change, and that's one of them! Everyone grew up on the cookie monster, he didn't influence me to eat cookies. His classic song, C is for cookie. What are they going to do, make it C is for carrot? Whatever! I cannot believe they would do that! This has gone TOO far!

Gold certified since the beginning. Merchandising, Mystery shopping, & Court Research throughout Mid-Central Ohio.

MaryLanham
Star Contributor

Rossville, GA
USA
327 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2005 :  8:24:09 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My son is a very picky eater and he eats like a bird. Watching the cookie monster as inspired him to eat like him. Not just when he eats a cookie but when he eats anything. We make a game out of it! My son is 3 and knows what he likes. All kids like cookies and if they had the choice would eat them all day long. As a parent it is our responsibility to set limits. What's next -get rid of Ronald McDonald b/c of the fatty fries and burgers, Chuck E. Cheese b/c of the greasy pizza and video games, they might as well get rid of ELMO also b/c my son learned to color on the walls like Elmo does! Cookie Monster is a possitive character that children look up to. My son learns from him, not just eating habits, but letters and words. As for Elmo writing on the walls, I just put the crayons up higher!

Mary Lanham
Go to Top of Page

CarolynNC
Star Contributor

Landis, NC
USA
1203 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2005 :  03:39:43 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Well, they are changing everything. Ronald is doing a whole new gig too. I don't mind the Ronald thing, but Cookie Monster? He never made me cookie crazy. This is sad. You are right Abe, the 'C' song can't go for anything else. They will have to make a whole new ditty for him to sing. Too bad our children and grandchildren are going to be living in a world of people who think anything associated with sugar, candy, TV etc. are going to rot their minds and bodies. They could have designed a new character to portray this more "healthy" role.
P.S. I have nothing against being or becomeing healthy, or trying to influence young children who need help learning to eat healthy and exercise. But, changing the Blue Dude? No-No

I'm not asleep....I'm checking for light leaks! :)
Go to Top of Page

BlueAbe
Star Contributor

Mid-Central, Ohio
USA
2090 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2005 :  06:52:01 AM  Visit BlueAbe's Homepage  Send BlueAbe an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
That was the only article I could find against it. I found a message board that talked about his name being changed, but that's not a solid proof of evidence. The sesame street website didn't mention anything about it so I did a yahoo! search on Cookie monster/veggie monster and that link I posted was the only thing I could come up with, from all the other results. (I don't google)

Gold certified since the beginning. Merchandising, Mystery shopping, & Court Research throughout Mid-Central Ohio.
Go to Top of Page

KellyBear
Star Contributor

Fairfax, VA
USA
1198 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2005 :  11:03:45 AM  Send KellyBear an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
It all goes back to parents not taking responsibility for their children. "Oh, well, my child only eats/wants cookies because he sees cookie monster, so it's a bad influence." You know? People need to start owning up to things and taking the blame for their kids eating nothing but junk food (if that is the case)... not blame it on a puppet. It's unfortunate that the makers of sesame street feel some kind of moral/social obligation to make cookie monster healthier. They could create a veggie monster if they wanted, but the joy of cookie monster is the COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKIES!!
Go to Top of Page

LindaCulp
Star Contributor

Portland, Oregon
USA
2339 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2005 :  4:51:20 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Oh, brother . . . give me a break.

If they don't like the 'negative' connotation of promoting too much cookie eating, why don't they just have Cookie Monster himself talk periodically about the danger of eating too many cookies? I think that would be far more effective, and the kids will be far more likely to listen to him. Another angle to cover it is to have Cookie Monster have some bouts of stomach pains from eating too many cookies, and the other characters could feed him healthy fruits and vegetables to help him get better. In other words, use Cookie Monster himself to teach moderation in all things.

Changing Cookie Monster into Veggie Monster is, in my opinion, a ridiculous way to overcome this 'problem'. This is NOT going to get kids to stop preferring cookies and start preferring vegetables.

Happily shopping the Portland, Oregon metro area!
~MSPA *Gold* Certified, 2003~
Go to Top of Page

JanInAlbq
Valued Contributor

Albuquerque, NM
USA
107 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2005 :  6:21:44 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Cookie Monster is like Mickey Mouse or the Road Runner,more of a personality unto himself than anything else I think! I don't think it was a big deal. I mean, my kids all watched him through their formative years and they're all pretty healthy eaters. I guess it's just kind of sad to me to see such a beloved children's character having to change at ALL regardless of good intentions
Go to Top of Page

JanJojo
Star Contributor

West Virginia
USA
42759 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2005 :  7:10:11 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
No matter what they call him he will still be Cookie Monster to me!!!
I had a Cookie Monster Cake for my 16th. birthday!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Dani-Tigger
Star Contributor

The Villages, Florida
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2005 :  2:45:11 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I agree that this is completely insane. I even remember episodes when I was younger where they addressed his eating too many cookies. What child is going to be enamored of this new Veggie Monster?? Part of Cookie Monster's appeal was his silliness and obsession with cookies. Somehow I can't see this new monster freaking out over carrots being all that funny.

~Tigg~
Bouncing with my Bunny in Central Florida
MSPA Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums