Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jen_in_MD
Star Contributor

MD
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2005 :  4:28:07 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
We had some great corn on the cob that we cooked on the grill on July 4. There was a lot extra, so I was planning on cooking it tonight. I'm not sure what the best way is to reheat it. Can I put it in the microwave without it drying out? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

MSPA Gold certified: #5bqyg3
Specializing in hotel, spa, and fine dining evaluations throughout MD, DC, and Northern VA

KellyBear
Star Contributor

Fairfax, VA
USA
1198 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2005 :  4:40:07 PM  Send KellyBear an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
What we always do is scrape it off the cob as soon as we're done, put it in a sealed container with just a bit of water, then reheat it with butter and water on the stove (or in the microwave). If you leave it on the cob, it will get yucky.
Go to Top of Page

NatalieH
Contributor

USA
8291 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2005 :  4:59:02 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My suggestion would be to plunge it into boiling water for a minute or two--provided it isn't already overcooked. Honestly, I have never tried to reheat grilled corn on the cob.
Go to Top of Page

MechelleNga
Valued Contributor

GA
USA
199 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2005 :  5:01:27 PM  Visit MechelleNga's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
My grannie always put it in aluminum foil, with a teaspoon of water, and a dab of butter...pop it in the oven for 5 minutes, on 350.

Mechelle
Go to Top of Page

Jen_in_MD
Star Contributor

MD
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2005 :  5:22:32 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I actually started making dinner after I read Kelly's post. Although we stored it in the fridge on the cob, I cut it off the cob and mixed it w/butter and a little bit of water. I cooked it in the microwave for about 2 minutes, and it came out perfectly. Thanks for the quick suggestions!

MSPA Gold certified: #5bqyg3
Specializing in hotel, spa, and fine dining evaluations throughout MD, DC, and Northern VA
Go to Top of Page

Elizabeth_B
Valued Contributor

Fort Greely, AK
USA
139 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2005 :  5:24:29 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I've done the "corn in advance" and microwaved it without problem.

However, I LOVE "fried" corn! Cut the cold corn off of the corn and saute in butter until heated. Add a bit of chives too. I really liked the sections composed of many "row sections" of corn.

Elizabeth
MSPA Silver tlw34x
Fort Greely, Alaska. With trips to Ohio for work breaks.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
2880 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2005 :  6:02:00 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
One of my daughter's favorite dishes last summer was a fried dish that used left-over corn on the cob.

potatoes--prefer boiled, roasted, or cubed baked, but raw works, too
onion--raw works best
carrot slices--cooked or raw
bacon or bacon drippings
corn

measurements depend on what you have left-over. The sweeter the corn, the better. This is a great way to deal with pot roast left-overs.

Just fry it all up like hash. If you are four-years-old, you may want to smother it with ketchup.

Possible variations are endless. And here is my daughter's contribution:

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

.StephanieA
Inactive

Redmond, WA
USA
1816 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2005 :  11:46:33 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I've always just put it in a plastic sealed bag with a little bit of butter and cooked it on half power for about three minutes, never had any problems and it tastes as if you just took it out of the pot.

I leaned this trick from my sister years ago, corn on the cob, fresh, butter, slat and perper to taste, place in a platic microwave bag heat on high for 5 minutes, fresh cooked corn without submerging it in water. The whole family loves this as it taste fresher then boiling it in water.

Shopping WA especially, Redmond, Kirkland, Bellevue, Woodinville and from Tukwila to Lynnwood.
MSPA Gold
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1042 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2005 :  05:45:01 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
When I have leftover corn on the cob, I roll each cob in a sheet of Saran Wrap and twist the ends. Reheat in microwave for a 90 seconds. The taste is as fresh as when first prepared.
Go to Top of Page

Laura CA

San Francisco Bay Area, California
USA
17 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2005 :  11:29:13 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Last night I used the leftover corn on the cobb like this: Corn was cold, cut it off the cob. Added it on top of Arugula, dressed with rice vinegar and a little olive oil, salt and pepper, with a dash of sesame oil. Our guests loved it and even the kids ate their veggies!

Laura CA
Shopping the San Francisco Bay Area and beyond...
Go to Top of Page

Gayle R
Star Contributor

Eastern Shore, VA
USA
1396 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  11:00:19 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The best way (I think) to eat corn on the cob cold is to cut it off the cob, add chopped up tomatoes, salt, pepper & Mayo. A quick way to cook it is husk, wrap in damp paper towel & microwave about 1 1/2 min. Acxtually yiou can do almost any fresh vegs this way.

Gayle
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums