Page: of 48

Randi H
Star Contributor

Orange, Virginia
USA
931 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2007 :  10:20:33 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
DO NOT PUMP GAS ON MAY 15TH

In April 1997, there was a "gas out" conducted nationwide in protest of gas prices. Gasoline prices dropped 30 cents a gallon overnight.

On May 15th, 2007, all internet users are to not go to a gas station in protest of high gas prices. Gas is now over $3.00 a gallon in most places.

There are 73,000,000+ American members currently on the internet network, and the average car takes $30 to $50 dollars to fill up.

If all users did not go to the pump on the 15th, it would take $2,292,000,000.00 ( that's almost 3 billion ) out of the oil companies pockets just for one day, so please do not go to the gas station on May 15th and lets try to put a dent in the Middle Eastern oil industry for at least one day.

If you agree, please send this to all the people listed on your contact list entitled " Don't Pump Gas On May 15th."

Thanks for your time.

Randi
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

Kelly130
Star Contributor

Tennessee
USA
1929 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2007 :  11:12:45 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Wow, Randi. That was a bigger drop than I had remembered. I knew it was a lot and that it was fairly quick. But..wow!

Kelly
Exchanges Rock! Let's Do Another
Go to Top of Page

PamInCa
Star Contributor

CA
USA
6556 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2007 :  1:35:18 PM  Visit PamInCa's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Thanks Randi, I printed it and I am putting it up everywhere I visit today and tomorrow.

PamInCa
Author of: "The Essential Guide to Mystery Shopping"
Go to Top of Page

Debra
Star Contributor

Colorado Springs, CO
USA
629 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2007 :  09:44:46 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I don't think the gas-out will work. People will just buy gas on the 14th or 16th so they don't have to buy on the 15th. I found this on Snopes:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/nogas.asp

Now what WOULD work is if we all tried to cut down our gas consumption overall, by driving less, car pooling, taking the bus, buying a more fuel-efficient vehicle. It's not an overnight solution obviously, but over time demand for gas would decrease and prices would come down. Then we'd have to keep them down by continuing the practices....

Shopping the Rockies
MSPA Gold Certified #cdgxel
Go to Top of Page

JewelGoodwin
Star Contributor

Vancouver, BC
Canada
852 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2007 :  09:59:07 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Debra - you beat me to it - I was going to post a link to Snopes. I know that this kind of 'gas out' doesn't work, and the 30 cent drop isn't true.

We need to jsut cut back on our gas conusmption PERIOD. Not just for the prices, but for conservation of the resource. I'd like to see more focus on that.

Jewel
Shopping In and Around Vancouver, BC Canada
Go to Top of Page

PamInCa
Star Contributor

CA
USA
6556 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2007 :  11:01:24 AM  Visit PamInCa's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I guess the two owners of Snopes are entitled to their opinions as well.

PamInCa
Go to Top of Page

.Chef Noel
Inactive

Georgetown, Texas
USA
290 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2007 :  11:04:11 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It won't work. People buy gas if they need it no matter what the price is.

There was a bill introduced in the Texas legislature to have a moratorium on the collection of GASOLINE TAX from June 1 thru October 1 - that amounts to FORTY CENTS a gallon. If it passes we in Texas will pay 40 cents a gallon less. Let's hope it passes.

Noel
Go to Top of Page

AniBen
Valued Contributor

AR
USA
144 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2007 :  1:56:12 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Our gas jumped from 2.89 to 3.16 in just a couple of days.
Go to Top of Page

FranS
Star Contributor

Estero, FL
USA
461 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2007 :  8:21:07 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Our gas had gone down for a few days from $3.05 to $2.99. Today, it jumped up to $3.09! We saw two places that still had it for $2.99.

By the way, every station we passed was filled with cars filling up their tanks. The gas-out did not work here.

FranS
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

JewelGoodwin
Star Contributor

Vancouver, BC
Canada
852 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2007 :  9:03:36 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
How can a gas-out work? Think about it - you aren't actually using LESS gass, you are just buying it on a different day. The gas companies know that.

Similarly, the idea of boycotting one gas company for a week so they drop their prices doesn't work either. The reason is, the other stations end up short stocked and THEY buy gas from the company that the customers were boycotting. So in the end, the company you boycotted gets their money, just from a different source.

The only way to deal with rising gas prices is to buy less gas. (Which, incidentally, is what our planet needs us to do.)

I don't know how Litres convert to Gallons ... except that a four litre jug of milk is the same as a gallong jug ... so I'm going to go ahead and guess four litres to a gallon. And, our gas is currently $1.27 per litre. Which would be (drum roll please) $5.08 per gallon.

Jewel
Go to Top of Page

Marie In Chicago
Mega Contributor

Chicago, IL
USA
62074 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2007 :  04:55:21 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JewelGoodwin

And, our gas is currently $1.27 per litre. Which would be (drum roll please) $5.08 per gallon.
I hope we never get to that price...wow.
Go to Top of Page

PamInCa
Star Contributor

CA
USA
6556 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2007 :  06:36:10 AM  Visit PamInCa's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I sure hope you are driving a Prius.

PamInCa
Go to Top of Page

Debra
Star Contributor

Colorado Springs, CO
USA
629 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2007 :  07:34:23 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Did gas prices go down yesterday/today because of the "gas-out"? I want to be proved wrong! No change here....

Shopping the Rockies
MSPA Gold Certified #cdgxel
Go to Top of Page

SJones
Star Contributor

USA
3121 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2007 :  08:51:04 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jewel, roughly right. I struggle with those conversions all the time. One gallon is 3.79 liter. Thus, if your liter is $1.27, a gallon of it would cost $4.81. My family always tells me not to complain about the prices here, because they pay sooooo much more in Europe. That's how I know the conversion

Yes, a gas-out does not work, because you would just do your stuff on another day and purchase the gas at that time. You would have to consciously decide to reduce your driving. That is a difficult thing to do nowadays. There is no bus connection in my area. The nearest store is four miles away. The nearest playground is six miles away. Same for the closest bus stop. Nobody delivers to the house (unless you order pizza or mail order), even the doctor will not come, if needed. Thus, you find yourself driving everywhere, arrange for carpools and so on. I have however noticed that more and more kids ride the school bus. And people within a one mile radius seem to sometimes walk to the store, which is dangerous, because there is no sidewalk. I also see more people on a bike. If forced to, people will look for alternatives and cut down on driving as much as they can.

Susanne
MSPA Silver Certified!
Go to Top of Page

LoraM
Valued Contributor

Eau Claire, Michigan
USA
135 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2007 :  09:07:44 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Well yesterday, it jumped from $3.15 to $3.47. Aiyiyi.

Loralee ~Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

CarolynNC
Star Contributor

Landis, NC
USA
1204 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2007 :  1:16:29 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Gas went from $2.89 up to $2.99...but 2% milk at Sams came back down from $3.29 to $2.68 per gallon(thank goodness). Anybody know of a car that runs on milk??

I'm not asleep....I'm checking for light leaks! :)
Go to Top of Page

PamInCa
Star Contributor

CA
USA
6556 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2007 :  1:54:14 PM  Visit PamInCa's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Pizza Hut charges an additional 1.00 for delivery service now.

Has anyone seen the figures for yesterday? I heard on the radio that the 5 freeway had never been so light for traffic.

PamInCa
Go to Top of Page

JewelGoodwin
Star Contributor

Vancouver, BC
Canada
852 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2007 :  7:25:52 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I don't drive a Prius, but my Hyundai accent is pretty darn good on gas. That's one of the main reasons we chose it. It's not a looker, by any means, but it's easier on the pocket book and the environment.

I sympathise with people who have no way to get places without a car. And really, if there is no choice, there is no choice. But here, in the city, I see many, many people who drive four blocks to the store just because they want to. Not to mention the huge gas guzzling off roaders that 'look cool' but are just crazy on gas guzzling and emissions. That's the kind of behaviour I'd like to see the prices effect.

Jewel
Go to Top of Page

Wendy P.

Lakewood, CO
USA
13 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2007 :  09:39:03 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Here in Denver, I paid $3.19 a gallon.

Wendy
MSPA Gold in COLO
Go to Top of Page

Marie In Chicago
Mega Contributor

Chicago, IL
USA
62074 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2007 :  7:00:15 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Our garbage company now charges a gas surcharge of $5 on every bill. I needed a garage door company come out and look at my door, they charged a $4 gas fee. I had my central AC checked to get it ready for summer and was charged a $6 gas surcharge fee. I'm surprised the price of the stamp didn't go up more than it did. The consumer will be affected with just about everything with these gas prices. Regular unleaded is now $3.52 per gallon in the burbs, last time I posted that it was $3.24 for the suburbs.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 48 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums