Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 48

Gayle R
Star Contributor

Eastern Shore, VA
USA
1396 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2008 :  10:40:26 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It goes up & down here between $3.14 & $3.25. Last week the cheapest was $3.19 today it was $3.21 There is one old station in a town I go to on my route that is always 5-8 cents cheaper than everybody else. It does not have a card reader on the pumps so you have to go inside to pay for the gas. Only problem is Cash only, no cards & I don't carry much, if any, cash with me when I'm working. I know, I could go to an ATM & get some cash but no branches of my bank on this route.

Gayle
Go to Top of Page

Vonette
Star Contributor

Walla Walla, WA
USA
867 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  12:26:19 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Here's an interesting bit regarding the differences in gas prices from state to state. I live in WA but am only 10 miles from the OR state line. I have occasion to drive down there now and then, and there are several gas stations just over the line. I understand that gas taxes are different from state to state, so you would expect that the gas prices 10 miles away in OR would be different from here. However, what has always puzzled my husband and I is why the difference varies so dramatically. Sometimes gas down there has been as much as 20 cents cheaper per gallon than here. Other times it's only 5 cents cheaper. Sometimes it is the same price!
Go to Top of Page

Marie In Chicago
Mega Contributor

Chicago, IL
USA
62074 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  2:57:06 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
$3.45, $3.55 and premium $3.65
Go to Top of Page

SJones
Star Contributor

USA
3121 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  3:08:58 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Vonette, the way I understand it, different states can have different supply lines/different raffineries that deliver the gasoline to the distributors. Depending on how quickly prices are raised in that supply channel, you can see various price difference between your state and the neighboring state.

Also, the big oil companies sometimes give price change orders per state, too, raising prices in one by x%, in the other by y%.

Susanne
MSPA Silver Certified!
Go to Top of Page

Gretta
Star Contributor

Jacksonville, NC
USA
1562 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  4:12:15 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
There's also the tax rate in each state. For example South Carolina how a lower tax rate on gas than North Carolina so for anyone who lives or works close to the NC/SC border it's better to fill up in SC.
Go to Top of Page

Marie In Chicago
Mega Contributor

Chicago, IL
USA
62074 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2008 :  4:47:51 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Gas for 35 cents a gallon leads to traffic jam in Wilmington

WILMINGTON, N.C. (AP) - Traffic was backed up and police were called to control the crowd after a Wilmington gas station accidentally set the pump price at 35 cents a gallon.

The Wilmington Star-News reported Friday that hundreds of drivers flooded a BP station for the cheap gas after the price dropped around 9 a.m. Thursday.

Station employee Shane Weller said the price for premium gasoline was supposed to be $3.35 a gallon. He complained that customers paid the cheaper price all day without saying a word.

It was all the extra traffic that led station employees to the mistake around 6 p.m. They found it after calling their district manager, looking for permission to change the price as a way of stemming the flow of customers.

Wonder what planet the employees are from. They couldn't tell by the lower amount of money people were giving? Doesn't it show how many gallons a person is buying?
Go to Top of Page

Gayle R
Star Contributor

Eastern Shore, VA
USA
1396 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2008 :  9:19:42 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I wished I lived in Wilmington And did they really expect somebody to come into the station & complain that they weren't being charged enough Anyway gas is back up to $3.25 - $3.29 from a low of $3.14 about 10 days ago.

Gayle
Go to Top of Page

.Chef Noel
Inactive

Georgetown, Texas
USA
290 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2008 :  1:52:29 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Today in Dry Gulch there's a price war on gasoline - some stations are selling regular for $1.99 to $3.75

Noel
Go to Top of Page

Vonette
Star Contributor

Walla Walla, WA
USA
867 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2008 :  2:25:24 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gretta

There's also the tax rate in each state. For example South Carolina how a lower tax rate on gas than North Carolina so for anyone who lives or works close to the NC/SC border it's better to fill up in SC.

Yes, as I mentioned in my post, I expect the prices to be different because of the difference in taxes. What doesn't make sense to me is that sometimes there is no difference and other times there is a huge difference. I think a time or two they have even been higher down there even though gas taxes are more here. So taxes are not the explanation.

As for the different supply lines, I guess that's possible. It just seems odd to me that these stations that are only 10 miles away wouldn't get their gas delivered by the same tanker trucks that are delivering here in town. It seems very inefficient, especially since these stations are the same brand of gas we have up here. We're talking only 10 easy miles of four-lane road!
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

Eau Claire, WI. 54703-1729
USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2008 :  2:26:27 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I am beginning to think that more states should have gas wars. The prices are ridiculous to say the least. At present in my town gas just took a jump to 3.499 yet, I just went 20 miles west and found gas at 3.299--this is the next town over. I wonder what would happen if everyone stayed away from gas stations for one or two days. As much as Georgie Bush tells us there isnt any gas gouging going on, the more suspicious it looks. Who'd believe him anyway.
Go to Top of Page

Stephanie H Daniels
Apprentice

Martinez, CA
USA
4 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2008 :  10:47:52 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I am in Northern California near San Francisco - gas is $3.80 a gallon for regular. My next car will be a hybrid.

Stephanie
Go to Top of Page

.Chef Noel
Inactive

Georgetown, Texas
USA
290 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  06:11:34 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The price of Gas versus Printer Ink

All these examples do NOT imply that gasoline is cheap; it just illustrates how outrageous some prices are....

You will be really shocked by the last one!
(At least, I was...)

Compared with Gasoline......

Think a gallon of gas is expensive?

This makes one think, and also puts things in perspective to other things we buy.

Diet Snapple 16 oz $1.29 ... $10.32 per gallon

Lipton Ice Tea 16 oz $1.19 ..........$9.52 per gallon

Gatorade 20 oz $1.59 ..... $10.17 per gallon

Ocean Spray 16 oz $1.25 ......... $10.00 per gallon

Brake Fluid 12 oz $3.15 ...... $33.60 per gallon

Vick's Nyquil 6 oz $8.35 ... $178.13 per gallon

Pepto Bismol 4 oz $3.85 .. $123.20 per gallon

Whiteout 7 oz $1.39 ....... . $25.42 per gallon

Scope 1.5 oz $0.99 .....$84.48 per gallon

And this is the REAL KICKER...

Evian water 9 oz $1.49..$21.19 per gallon! $21.19 for WATER and the buyers don't even know the source

(Evian spelled backwards is Naive.)

Ever wonder why printers are so cheap?
So they have you hooked for the ink.
Someone calculated the cost of the ink at...............
(you won't believe it....but it is true........)
$5,200 a gal. (five thousand two hundred dollars)

So, the next time you're at the pump,be glad your car doesn't run on water, Scope, or Whiteout, Pepto Bismol, Nyquil or God forbid, Printer Ink!

Just a little humor to help ease the pain of your next trip to the pump...

And - If you don't pass this along to at least one person,
your muffler will fall off!!

Okay, your muffler won't really fall off...but, you might run out of toilet paper

Noel
Go to Top of Page

Quinn
Star Contributor

Atlanta, GA
USA
50245 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  12:20:48 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Interesting comparison but I don't use any of those items, other than printer ink, but I do use GAS. It hit $3.50 here today, up a dime this week.
Go to Top of Page

Gretta
Star Contributor

Jacksonville, NC
USA
1562 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  6:24:33 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
That is interesting. However I have a laser printer (black and white), we've had it for three years now and have yet to need to buy a new cartridge. I do buy bottled water (we're still in the midst of a horrible droubt, so buying bottled water helps with that). I also buy Nyquil and Pepto Bismol and Whiteout, but certainly much, much less than one gallon in a year, for whiteout I don't even buy one bottle per year. And Pepto Bismol maybe 1-2 bottles per year. Depends on how sick we get during the year to need it.
Gas on the other hand we need tons of.

As for prices....as of today at the cheap gas station they are:
regular $3.38
midgrade $3.48
Go to Top of Page

MaryaRoy

Longwood, Florida
USA
34 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  06:36:07 AM  Send MaryaRoy an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Quinn

Interesting comparison but I don't use any of those items, other than printer ink, but I do use GAS. It hit $3.50 here today, up a dime this week.

We are at $3.32 away from the tourist trap....I saw $3.84 around Disney World.

Marya
Go to Top of Page

Hinton38606
Star Contributor

Batesville, MS
USA
303 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  07:23:53 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
3.23 yesterday
3.39 today

WHY?????

Angie H
Go to Top of Page

MarionR
Star Contributor

Delaware County, PA
USA
345 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  12:12:12 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
3.21 on Monday
3.35 on Friday

Dear Mr Oil Company
Can you give me a break?

Marion
Gold Certified July 2005
Go to Top of Page

SJones
Star Contributor

USA
3121 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  12:42:16 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
$3.39 to $3.45. Paid $3.29 with Kroger 10c discount. Still cost me $53 to fill up the van.

Susanne
MSPA Silver Certified!
Go to Top of Page

Heather86
Star Contributor

Bourbonnais (S. of Chicago), IL
USA
2015 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  5:42:24 PM  Visit Heather86's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
$3.75

Highest I have ever seen it. Fortunately I saw it going up and topped off my tank at $3.41 at a station a few miles away. Even with a hybrid, I hate paying that price.
Go to Top of Page

Cindy B
Apprentice

Panama City, FL
USA
4 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  7:11:05 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Panama City, FL - $3.49 for 83 octane unleaded. Argghhhh!!!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 48 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums