Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 48

JudyK
Star Contributor

Eau Claire, WI. 54703-1729
USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2008 :  3:45:00 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Here in Northern WI., we hit 3.859. There is no end in sight either. Theyre talking upwards of 6 dollars a gallon! Now, I heard on radio that there isn't a shortage of oil. There are investors in this country that are buying the fuel up,gambling on the price hikes continuation. I was shocked that some wealthy SOB would take advantage of the middle and lower classes dilema. In past years, I remember reading about the availability of such stock and the investment opportunities it would derive. I know WE have cut our driving back tremendously,as none of us can afford these prices. You know as well as I, that the wealthy sure haven't cut their useage. Take a look at the Hummers, Giant RV's hauling big yachts heading off to their distant vacation spot. Why should they care how much they pay, they've got the money. In fact, they waste more money than we make in a year. Yet, WE get called on the carpet to cut back our use, and they go happily along wasting fuel and making things worse for all of us.
Go to Top of Page

Aileen M.
Star Contributor

Naperville, IL
USA
410 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2008 :  4:16:35 PM  Visit Aileen M.'s Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Gas is actually down here. It peaked at $4.09 for regular on 5/13. Now it's $3.99, where it's been for a few days. I am going to make sure I top off my tank on Wednesday or Thursday to beat the inevitable Memorial Day Weekend hike.

Aileen Mullee
General Manager
Ann Michaels and Associates
Go to Top of Page

ShelliHoskins
Star Contributor

Indianapolis, IN
USA
324 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2008 :  10:00:53 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
$3.99 here in my little town. They showed on the news tonight, it's up to $4.09 for regular unleaded in some parts of Indianapolis. I hate to think I might have to buy a bicycle.

Shelli ;)
Go to Top of Page

SJones
Star Contributor

USA
3121 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2008 :  03:26:42 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Well, here it went down to $3.69 for a couple of days, then it jumped to $3.95 for the last two days. Hubby came home yesterday and said it's a bit down to $3.92. This is crazy!

Susanne
MSPA Silver Certified!
Go to Top of Page

Quinn
Star Contributor

Atlanta, GA
USA
50245 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2008 :  06:12:45 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It was between $3.87 and $3.92 yesterday, who knows what today will bring.
Go to Top of Page

Marie In Chicago
Mega Contributor

Chicago, IL
USA
62073 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2008 :  06:21:43 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
$3.50 seems like a bargain now

The station a few blocks from me is at,
$4.04, 4.14, premium 4.24
In the city itself it's ranging
about .20 higher for reg. unleaded.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2008 :  12:45:00 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
3.999 here today!! Talk about sky-high and no end in sight. Read where 6-10 dollar a gallon is possible. Has anyone noticed that milk is also costing as much as that gallon of gas?
Go to Top of Page

MarionR
Star Contributor

Delaware County, PA
USA
345 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2008 :  1:30:58 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Yes Judy, I have and that's not all. 5 ears of corn = $4.00
1 dozen eggs = $4.19, 1 Gallon of Lactaid milk = $6.29 When will it stop? $3.89/gal here.

Marion
Gold Certified July 2005
Go to Top of Page

Quinn
Star Contributor

Atlanta, GA
USA
50245 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2008 :  1:50:14 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
A bit off topic but those grocery prices seem ridiculous. Corn is .20 an ear and eggs are $2.39 a dozen here. I just bought some of each yesterday. The corn prices I can understand because we get FL corn and the GA corn will be harvested shortly. So, the transportation costs are considerably lower. The eggs I don't understand.

However, my gas prices are the same as in PA.
Go to Top of Page

Marie In Chicago
Mega Contributor

Chicago, IL
USA
62073 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2008 :  2:26:42 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I should have put gas in my car this morning when it was $4.04. I came back from doing some errands and just paid $4.08. Put $20 in for barely 5 gallons. Not that .04 is much of a difference but it's steadily climbing.
I felt sorry for the cashier, she was getting an earful from an elderly man who let her have it. She kept saying, "I have to pay it too, it's not my fault."

I bet locking gas caps are selling well these days.
(the corn here is 5/2.00)
Go to Top of Page

SJones
Star Contributor

USA
3121 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2008 :  2:29:03 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Corn here is 3 for $1. And it's often not even good! Then again, this is not corn country. But yes, my grocery bill has gone up considerably because of transportation costs.

Susanne
MSPA Silver Certified!
Go to Top of Page

Gretta
Star Contributor

Jacksonville, NC
USA
1562 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2008 :  6:31:56 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Yesterday I filled up my car it was regular: $3.83 mid grade: $3.93
Today it jumped at most stations to regular: $3.95 mid grade: $4.09
Except while out today we found two stations that had not yet raised their prices. One is a Hess and one an Accel. They were still at what I had filled up yesterday at. And they both had lines at them. We did fill up at the Hess, we came to it first and they did end up being 2 cents cheaper.
Go to Top of Page

PamInCa
Star Contributor

CA
USA
6556 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2008 :  6:49:17 PM  Visit PamInCa's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
They raised it at the gas stations due to the holiday. It happens every year. They then say it is because we are using so much. They say 30% less people are traveling this holiday due to gas prices.

PamInCa
Author of: "The Essential Guide to Mystery Shopping"
Go to Top of Page

Heather86
Star Contributor

Bourbonnais (S. of Chicago), IL
USA
2015 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2008 :  06:37:08 AM  Visit Heather86's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Gas is now $4.29. Chicagoland is the highest in the nation.

I have seen how our small town is trying to make up for having to pay for that high price in the municipal vehicles - there are more police pulling people over for tickets than I have seen in a long time and on roads where I never see them.

So go the speed limit - you will save on gas and avoid speeding tickets. I am one who loves to speed and I don't even realize it sometimes....If I complain about these gas prices, I will really complain about a $75 speeding ticket.
Go to Top of Page

MaryLanham
Star Contributor

Rossville, GA
USA
327 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2008 :  08:16:07 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Our gas jumped about 8cents over night Thursday night, due to the Holiday weekend of course! We are sitting at $3.88 right now, luckily I filled up earlier in the week and I will not pay higher prices b/c of the holiday... I will just wait until next week, hopefully it will drop down a bit. I still have half a tank so I should be good until after then!

Mary Lanham
Go to Top of Page

Quinn
Star Contributor

Atlanta, GA
USA
50245 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2008 :  10:19:37 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Gas prices have been going up almost daily for some time now. I think that is one year you cannot blame the increases on Memorial Day.
Go to Top of Page

FranS
Star Contributor

Estero, FL
USA
461 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2008 :  10:32:40 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
$3.91-4.00 at regular stations. $3.79 at Costco today! Yay! for Costco!

FranS
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

MaryLanham
Star Contributor

Rossville, GA
USA
327 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2008 :  11:21:29 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Just curious... if you can explain how this works please do...

Gas prices change on a daily basis, or multiple times during the day in some cases. How is that? I don't understand why the gas that has already been purchased and put into the underground tanks doesn't stay at the same rate until they need to fill up the tanks again. If gas is $3.50/gal on a MOnday when they are filling up the big tanks, how can that price change the next day on gas that has already been purchased?! If the price for oil changes between that Monday and the next time they fill up then the price should adjust then -right? Am I making sense or is there more to it that I am not aware of? Please, if you know... enlighten me!

Mary Lanham
Go to Top of Page

Quinn
Star Contributor

Atlanta, GA
USA
50245 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2008 :  11:50:36 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Because they seem to set the prices based on what crude is selling at. I know it may sound lame but that is why the major oil companies raise prices and is why we have seen this tremendous run-up in prices. However, the oil they are selling they paid much less for, many months if not years ago. I guess thats the rub.

All that being said, I mostly blame all these oil future speculators for the rise in the price of crude.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2008 :  1:07:10 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
The cops have really been working the highway I can see from my dining area. First, there was one squad being kept busy, followed by a second squad. Before long a third squad showed up, and all three were moving one after the other, after speeders in a construction zone. About a half hour later a forth squad showed up, and he too, was on the go getting speeders. This went on from 3 pm. thru 7pm that night. I have a leadfoot, and avoid the construction areas in this town! Our local protectors are having to double up in squads these days due to gas prices, and have to do a lot of sitting instead of patrolling. It seems to be working for them onsidering the number of tickets theyre issuing.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 48 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums