Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 48

AmyK
Star Contributor

Marin County, CA
USA
426 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2008 :  2:43:04 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Pam, gas IS cheaper in SoCal! Out by the refineries the price of gas is that low but you'd have to drive out of your way to get there.

Looking forward to getting back in California tonight!!! Tennessee is great but the humidity is brutal when you're not used to it. Although I loved walking in the rain last night and getting drenched. People thought I was nuts but I haven't seen rain since February and won't again til October if I am lucky.

Amy
Gold in SF Bay Area
Go to Top of Page

Gayle R
Star Contributor

Eastern Shore, VA
USA
1396 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2008 :  9:25:08 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Most of the "cheap" stations are $3.79. One station that used to be the cheapest in the area is selling it for $3.89 but if you pay cash it is $3.84

Gayle
Go to Top of Page

FranS
Star Contributor

Estero, FL
USA
461 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2008 :  04:31:02 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Our corner station is the cheapest at $3.87 but have not checked Costco or Sam's lately. Recently they were charging the same price as the locals so why bother driving the distance (10 miles) to get there (just for gas).

My sis in GA says they are at $3.79 at Costco but not at the local stations.

It's a game and I don't like the rules...

FranS
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

Randi H
Star Contributor

Orange, Virginia
USA
931 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2008 :  08:54:54 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Most around here are at $3.76, except Sheetz, which was always known to be cheaper or same and they are at $3.79.

Randi
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

Iron Chef Toni
Star Contributor

Plano, TX
USA
455 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2008 :  3:10:02 PM  Send Iron Chef Toni an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
This weekend it started inching a little lower, $3.69 at RaceTrac, the local mega gas/convenience store.

It's funny that my earliest recollection of gas prices was the early 70's when gas went up to 55 cents a gallon. My mom freaked out and the very next day traded in the '62 Buick for a Toyota Corona.

Now, she is back to driving a Buick. I reminded her of that incident not too long ago and asked her what she was going to trade in the Buick for now!

Toni
Gold certified in N. Texas
Now doing Merchandising!
Go to Top of Page

Quinn
Star Contributor

Atlanta, GA
USA
50245 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2008 :  3:13:49 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
They are still gouging us. Crude has fallen dramatically and the drop at the pump should be much bigger than it has been. They sure didn't have a problem raising it every day that crude went UP!
Go to Top of Page

Gayle R
Star Contributor

Eastern Shore, VA
USA
1396 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2008 :  10:04:31 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'm with you, Quinn. Gas here has settled at $3.79 for the past week or so. But like you say; when it was going up, it went up almost daily.

Gayle
Go to Top of Page

SJones
Star Contributor

USA
3121 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2008 :  04:55:29 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
When the oil price started to drop, the experts said we would not ses such a drop at the pump. The people at the lower end of the supply chain, especially gas station owners, were not earning anything when the price went up. They were deciding daily by how much to raise the price in order to remain competitive. They are now trying to make up for some of their losses. They and whoever is above them in the supply chain. I have to say, I can't blame them. Two stations closed in our small town. Both used to be the cheap ones in town for several years. What they didn't earn at the pump they earned in the store. One of them was a really great breakfast place. When the whole gas price problem went through the roof, they couldn't compete anymore. People just didn't go and splurge on extra stuff inside, their gas prices started to be the same as everybody elses. The place with the breakfast menu said that their sales in that area halved.

Anyhow, that's what's going on. They are trying to recoup losses they incurred. Yes, we all would like to see lower prices at the pump, but if more stations are out of business, the lack of competition will cause prices to go up again.

Oh, here it's $3.72 to $3.75, right now. Down 30 cents from two weeks ago.

Susanne
MSPA Silver Certified!
Go to Top of Page

EmilyPWa
Valued Contributor

Willard, UT
USA
168 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2008 :  06:44:39 AM  Send EmilyPWa an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
For some reason it is still $4.05 here. On the news they keep talking about not knowing why it is still so high. Especially considering there is a refinery here.

Emily
Now shopping in the Ogden UT area
MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

Clare
Star Contributor

Texas
USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2008 :  08:55:49 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Regular is $3.65
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

Eau Claire, WI. 54703-1729
USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2008 :  5:53:59 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
We have been sitting at 3.849 for a week now. It needs to go down further!
Go to Top of Page

FranS
Star Contributor

Estero, FL
USA
461 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2008 :  7:38:46 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Oil today is down to $119 a barrel (the high was about $150 just a week or so ago). Now tell me why when it went up so high so fast recently, the price per gallon soared. But now that it is coming down, the stations are not lowering their prices as fast. Makes me very mad. Low here in SW FL is $3.79 but mostly $3.82-5. Bummer.

FranS
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

Gretta
Star Contributor

Jacksonville, NC
USA
1562 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2008 :  8:10:15 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Here the cheap station is at $3.80 for regular, $3.90 for midgrade, and $4.00 for topgrade.
The prices for regular range from $3.80 to $3.99 and for midgrade from $3.90 to $4.12.
Go to Top of Page

Marie In Chicago
Mega Contributor

Chicago, IL
USA
62073 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2008 :  8:56:20 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FranS

Oil today is down to $119 a barrel (the high was about $150 just a week or so ago). Now tell me why when it went up so high so fast recently, the price per gallon soared.
I heard on the news that the tropical storm they're having/had in the Gulf is supposed to bring the prices back up. I think it's a bunch of bull and an excuse.
It's been staying at $3.98/gal here for the last couple days.
Go to Top of Page

Linda BC
Trainee

British Columbia
Canada
8 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  02:17:27 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Well, if my math is correct, we are paying $5.64 a gallon here. Here, being Vancouver, BC.

We're using the #$%^& metric system, so at $1.41 a litre today, I think it works out to $5.64 imperial.
Go to Top of Page

AmyK
Star Contributor

Marin County, CA
USA
426 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  11:07:21 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
In the local newspaper today, there was an article about gas prices in northern Alaska. Just in case you were feeling back about what you are paying at the pump, take heart in the fact that residents in Barrows, Alaska pay over $7/gallon. They started paying over $4/gallon over 2 years ago! There are not a whole lot of roads to drive on up there but gas is also used to power snow mobiles, etc. It's really having an adverse effect on the eskimo tribes that live up that way.

Amy
Gold in SF Bay Area
Go to Top of Page

Gayle R
Star Contributor

Eastern Shore, VA
USA
1396 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2008 :  9:01:17 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Was $3.73 - $3.75 earlier this week. Paid $3.73 this morning at a Royal Farms on the way to work. Just paid $3.69 at a different Royal Farms in the area.

Gayle
Go to Top of Page

Gretta
Star Contributor

Jacksonville, NC
USA
1562 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2008 :  11:05:56 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The cheapest gas stations here are at: regular $3.74 midgrade: $3.84 premium: $3.94
This is today's prices.
Go to Top of Page

DaveDale
Contributor

Muldrow, Oklahoma
USA
52 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  09:40:38 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The cheapest gas here is $3.55 at Wal-Mart, but I can drive a little ways across the state line and get it for $3.46 at a different Wal-Mart.

What's funny is that the WM that is 3.46 is only in the evening, during the day it is $3.51

Dave Dale
Go to Top of Page

Gayle R
Star Contributor

Eastern Shore, VA
USA
1396 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  9:09:29 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
$3.59 at the same Royal Farm this morning. $3.69 4 days ago.

Gayle
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 48 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums